Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#2137559 - 08/23/13 06:10 AM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Sam S]
Jean-Luc Offline

Loc: France
My beloved Kawai and my current teacher smile

Jean-Luc

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2137588 - 08/23/13 08:38 AM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Sam S]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Sam S
Originally Posted By: Whizbang
It's a repost, but I'm proud of her. Mabel after her recent tuneup:

A Fandrich! Now that's a rare piano...

Sam
Why is Mabel naked? laugh
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2137590 - 08/23/13 08:40 AM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Jean-Luc]

Originally Posted By: Jean-Luc
My beloved Kawai and my current teacher smile

what's the kitty teacher's name? She/he looks just like my dearly departed cat, Panda. He also loved piano! smile

#2137591 - 08/23/13 08:41 AM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Sam S]
Piano RX Offline

Originally Posted By: PianoismyScrip
Nice piano area Sam... how does one insert a photo into a post?

The way I do it is to upload the picture to someplace free that stores photos - I use google photos, or I guess it's called google+ now. I used to use something called photobucket, not sure if that is still around.

Then I right click on the photo and copy the link to it.

When you are in the posting window there is a icon available to enter an image. You paste the link to the photo there.

Then do a preview to see if it actually worked!

Sam

Thanks Sam, I shall try posting pics of my new Hailun.

#2137606 - 08/23/13 09:00 AM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Morodiene]
Jean-Luc Offline

His name is Bidule (I guess it would translate to "Thingy") he also very much love the piano (which shows a lot of courage on his side considering my level) and often lie on the wooden part over the pedals when I play. He has a sister who exceptionally wasn't around for the photo smile

Jean-Luc

#2137619 - 08/23/13 09:29 AM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Sam S]
Mr. Square Offline

Loc: Kalifornia
Originally Posted By: Mr. Square
Ooh I love to see pics... I'll play. Come on, keep it going.

Nice! The dog matches the couch which matches the carpet! What are those things under the piano? Chinese dragons?

Sam

Thanks and they are Foo Dogs.

Open Arms
Primavera -Ludovico Einaudi

Adult beginner since April Fool's Day 2013. Seems quite apropos at times...

#2137668 - 08/23/13 11:09 AM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Sam S]
woodog Online   content

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
One side of the space:

the other side of the space:

The piano (a Baldwin L, 1954, new hammers, keytops, bushings by me) and the speakers (E-V Patrician 800s) were a real score from a surplus auction at Western KY University where I work.

I got the piano for $500 (about $3000 total invested, including moving, at this point). The Speakers for $70. It was a good day. :-)

Forrest

Forrest

--------------------
current studies:
Debussy: Suite Bergamasque
Beethoven Op. 78
Bach WTC 1, C# Major (#3)

#2137676 - 08/23/13 11:20 AM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Sam S]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Forrest, I can't get over what a bargain you got in your Baldwin L. That kind of price is just unheard of, on average. I suppose, every once in a while, the anomaly deal comes along. (I'm jealous smile )

Beautiful piano and a beautiful home!!

Rick

#2137688 - 08/23/13 11:47 AM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: woodog]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Woodog - love that green color on the walls. Now that would go well with my Bechstein and it's green felt!

Sam

#2137691 - 08/23/13 11:51 AM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Rickster]
KurtZ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
Originally Posted By: Rickster

What I was doing was treating the pin block with a tuning pin tightener, which was actually liquid “superglue” or CA glue. This is a very common method/procedure to add life to the pin block.

This is also how the music stand on my upright was fixed. The lip was held on by #4 brass wood screws into the "end grain" of medium density fiberboard. Between the mdf and the tiny threads there was no grip at all and they pulled out without damaging the surrounding wood. When the dealer's casework man came out, he ran some CA into the same holes and used the next size up wood screw. Two years later and no more problems. My model building brother tells me that this is a common practice for getting screws to hold in balsa flying models as well.

Kurt

#2137696 - 08/23/13 11:59 AM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Sam S]
Pierre-Luc Offline

Loc: Montreal
Here is mine:

It's a Yamaha YDP-181.

I just moved into my new house and I'm not yet certain if the piano will stay at this place or not. I would prefer having it against a wall instead of against the ramp of the mezzanine. smile

#2137699 - 08/23/13 12:00 PM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Sam S]
woodog Online   content

Woodog - love that green color on the walls. Now that would go well with my Bechstein and it's green felt!

Sam

Thank you Sam!!! I'll expect delivery of your Bechstein any day now!!

so generous grin grin grin

.. I just love these forums!

Forrest

Edited by woodog (08/23/13 12:08 PM)
Edit Reason: added grins... imagine, A Bechstein!!

--------------------
current studies:
Beethoven Op. 78

#2137705 - 08/23/13 12:20 PM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Morodiene]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

A Fandrich! Now that's a rare piano...

Yah, there certainly were only a relative handful made, which is a shame, because I think that the piano absolutely achieved its technical goals as I understood them: grand sound (due to design and size) and feel (due to the special action) in an upright form factor.

Overall, I'd say that Mabel's lived up to my standards more than I've been able to live up to hers.

Originally Posted By: Morodiene

That salacious technician had not yet completely finished having his way with her. This was post-bushing replacement, regulation, and voicing, but pre-tuning, so I left her dèshabillé. Of course, taking that thought to its extreme, it probably calls into question the moral uprightness of the photographer.

#2137842 - 08/23/13 04:06 PM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: woodog]
Toastie Offline

Loc: UK
Woodog, that's a really beautiful room, very stylishly done.
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3

#2137864 - 08/23/13 04:54 PM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Rickster]
woodog Online   content

Originally Posted By: Rickster
Forrest, I can't get over what a bargain you got in your Baldwin L. That kind of price is just unheard of, on average. I suppose, every once in a while, the anomaly deal comes along. (I'm jealous smile )

Beautiful piano and a beautiful home!!

Rick

Why thank you Rick. It'll be even better when my Bechstein arrives with the matching green felt (j/k Sam!... sorta)

The piano WAS an anomaly. I went to the auction with $3500 budgeted for the speakers, exceedingly rare and hotly sought after, and I was sure I was going to be outbid. The plan, oddly enough, was to buy and rebuild the speakers and then sell them to some crazy audio-fool (and I'm one!) with more money than sense to finance a piano purchase.

The piano, which I was familiar with since it was located in the space where the bookstore (where I work) was to be temporarily located, had spent its entire life in a theater that was converted to a chinese restaurant. I had practiced on it as an undergrad as it was way nicer than the practice room pianos.

Anyway, it was a last minute addition to the auction, and the only advertisement for it was a picture similar to the one below at the auction site, a full two blocks away from the piano, which was in a locked building, so no-one was able to 'try it out'.

I did not know it was going to be auctioned, but after I got the speakers for $70 - I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT - I was willing to go up to $3430 for the piano!

The dampers are the next project, but this piano has turned out to be a very fine instrument.

I have joked that if karma is a zero sum game, then I'm due to be flattened by a dump truck on my bicycle commute home someday. :-0

the pic similar to what folks saw:

--------------------
current studies:
Beethoven Op. 78

#2137893 - 08/23/13 06:08 PM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Whizbang]

That salacious technician had not yet completely finished having his way with her. This was post-bushing replacement, regulation, and voicing, but pre-tuning, so I left her dèshabillé. Of course, taking that thought to its extreme, it probably calls into question the moral uprightness of the photographer.

Now there's something we haven't discussed on ABF to my knowledge... moral uprightness. No longer a debate between baby grand vs. upright; it's an ethical debate. At least Mabel's picture was taken with her actually being upright, as opposed to Rickster's lovely 'lady' lounging outside for all to see! wink

#2137912 - 08/23/13 06:47 PM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Morodiene]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Now there's something we haven't discussed on ABF to my knowledge... moral uprightness. No longer a debate between baby grand vs. upright; it's an ethical debate. At least Mabel's picture was taken with her actually being upright, as opposed to Rickster's lovely 'lady' lounging outside for all to see! wink

Not naked, but how about vivisected? Here's my Bechstein with no action, strings, pinblock, plate, or even a soundboard - just a case. This was the low point before bringing her back to life:

Sam

#2137943 - 08/23/13 07:55 PM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Sam S]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here's my very small piano studio:

Here's my audience:

UPDATE:
After looking at the above photo, I decided that the room was too empty. Rather than a piano studio, I've changed it to a music room.

I so need some beautiful paintings for those walls, or perhaps so inspiring photos of musicians and composers.

Edited by Tubbie0075 (08/23/13 11:26 PM)

#2137960 - 08/23/13 08:45 PM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Sam S]
Pierre-Luc Offline

Tubbie, how is the sound like in a small room like this one? I plan to buy a baby grand in the next few months and my room is not much bigger than yours.

#2137966 - 08/23/13 09:09 PM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Sam S]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Pierre,

I was very worried about the sound before I move to this house. I have to say the sound is not ideal, but it is actually not as bad as I initially thought. The sound does get quite loud but the reverb is not so bad.

The removalist suggested that I stuff some cushions or pillows between the ribs underneath the piano. It worked to lower the volume but it makes the sound across the keyboard register very inconsistent. I tried different positions for the cushions and I never get to the perfect balance. So I gave up.

After playing the piano is this room for 5 months, I don't even notice anything wrong with the sound. I am thinking of getting some large paintings to go on the walls so it might reduce the reverb a bit, but I haven't found the money or the perfect paintings for my studio yet ;-)

Edited:
I posted a video a few weeks ago. The Una Coda pedal (soft pedal) was used for most of the video. It's not a good video to judge the volume but it gives you an idea about the reverb effect, which is not so bad.

Edited by Tubbie0075 (08/23/13 09:16 PM)

#2137988 - 08/23/13 10:23 PM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: jotur]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: jotur
Well, it hasn't changed in 3 years:

Cathy

You have the same gravitational system for sheet music storage that I have!!!

#2137989 - 08/23/13 10:25 PM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Morodiene]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here's a picture of my set up here in WI. I don't have any acoustic pianos up here during the summer, so I have to make do with the FP-7. The synth on the right is my newly acquired Yamaha MOX6 which I'm still learning how to use!

edited: for some reason I can't figure out how to get the actual picture here, so here's a link:

https://app.box.com/s/fgtxwc43ray6yaszh4ak

I miss my FP-7! I traded it in for my Kawai grand. Wish I could have both.

#2138013 - 08/23/13 11:18 PM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Sam S]
Pierre-Luc Offline

Thank you so much Tubbie for that great performance and for taking the time to reply with this much information!

#2138016 - 08/23/13 11:26 PM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: malkin]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted By: malkin
You have the same gravitational system for sheet music storage that I have!!!

Yeah! "Gravitational system for sheet music storage." I can go with that! That's so much more, um, scientific than "the floor is my desk." laugh

Cathy

#2138040 - 08/24/13 12:27 AM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Tubbie0075]

Originally Posted By: Tubbie0075
Here's a picture of my set up here in WI. I don't have any acoustic pianos up here during the summer, so I have to make do with the FP-7. The synth on the right is my newly acquired Yamaha MOX6 which I'm still learning how to use!

edited: for some reason I can't figure out how to get the actual picture here, so here's a link:

https://app.box.com/s/fgtxwc43ray6yaszh4ak

I miss my FP-7! I traded it in for my Kawai grand. Wish I could have both.

After playing on this all summer, I'm ready for a grand again!

Edited by Morodiene (08/24/13 12:44 AM)

#2138042 - 08/24/13 12:39 AM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Morodiene]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Must admit to lusting sfter some o` those pieces of wood and metal .. .especially the shiny ones. I want a shiny piano! . . .

""

#2138055 - 08/24/13 01:55 AM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Sam S]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Not naked, but how about vivisected? Here's my Bechstein with no action, strings, pinblock, plate, or even a soundboard - just a case. This was the low point before bringing her back to life

You beast!

#2138120 - 08/24/13 06:38 AM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Sam S]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia

My corner of the lounge room

Pretty sad compared to the beautiful rooms and pianos here

I just can't get a pic to post only link f

#2138134 - 08/24/13 07:40 AM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Newman]
Jean-Luc Offline

I think I see a cat toy :-) It seems many piano players (or aspiring in my case) love pets (cats or dog)

Jean-Luc

#2138181 - 08/24/13 09:48 AM Re: Photos! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! [Re: Newman]

Originally Posted By: Newman

Pretty sad compared to the beautiful rooms and pianos here

I just can't get a pic to post only link f
Hey, I know of people who use the excuse "we have no room for a piano" for not having one and learning to play. I think with as little space as a digital piano takes up, that's not really a good excuse anymore. smile

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
124 registered (ajames, Abby Pianoman, A Guy, aDino, 36251, 39 invisible), 1721 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156302 Topics
2295508 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday torquenale !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 08:26 AM
compositional methods
by Michael Sayers
Today at 08:03 AM
Happy Birthday earlofmar !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 04:49 AM
Tight Key ??
by moy71
Today at 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
Today at 01:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission