2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Everyone,

I noticed that Alessio Bax's recording of this is on youtube. I don't if this is with his approval but I believe it is worth hearing especially due to all the interesting little touches he gives to the music and also, as with the octave section a little after 2:35, due to his ability to keep in all the musical inflections even with such choices of tempo.

I know him personally and have always believed in him as a pianist ever since back in the days when he was enrolled with the S.M.U. Artist Certificate programme. Probably one could wake him up at 3am and he could sit down and play it like this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PuA8UAm6EE

M.

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Just started listening - this is really terrific playing, and the comments that accompany the video are very nice to read. I used to have bad connotations with this particular transcription, and a part of me still thinks that the Brahms one for left hand alone is more powerful in all its simplicty, though naturally it doesn't make use of the pianos inherent resources the way that Busoni's transcription succesfully does. It's just that I partially think that the Bach original is so strong by itself that a subjective version like the one by Busoni is almost superfluous. The Brahms gives the pianist a challenge similar to the one faced by a violinist, by making the pianist do everything with one hand alone. Still, Bax makes a very convincing case for playign this. Beautiful! And stunning control.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by fnork
Just started listening - this is really terrific playing....

+1
....I used to have bad connotations with this particular transcription....

+1, except that I still do ha ....because I rarely hear a performance that I can stomach. I don't think it's necessarily Busoni's fault.

....and a part of me still thinks that the Brahms one for left hand alone is more powerful in all its simplicity....

+1

I partially think that the Bach original is so strong by itself that a subjective version like the one by Busoni is almost superfluous.

+1

When I played the Bach-Busoni version of the Toccata, Adagio & Fugue, I did everything I could to bring it back closer to the original -- to make it as close as I could to a piano version of the original piece. That's what I'd want to do with the Chaconne too, except that I think I'd need a violin for that. grin

....Bax makes a very convincing case for playing this....

Well, pretty convincing anyway. ha

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Well, pretty convincing anyway. ha

Ha! I basically agree with everything above, just that I thought that it'd be rude to the TERRIFIC pianist to say that he makes a "pretty convincing case". But in essence, yes, that's what he does. I'd rather listen to him play something else, but huge respect for the work done.

....speaking of which, I need to pick up that Brahms transcription again laugh

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission