Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2137570 - 08/23/13 07:40 AM Piano Brands Explained & Upright vs Baby Grand
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I always thought Young Chang was a Chinese brand. Anyway, for those that are in the market for a piano, this video might help you decide which one to go for.

Then there are those deciding between an expensive upright or a baby grand. Warning: this video may sway you towards baby grand.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2137952 - 08/23/13 08:18 PM Re: Piano Brands Explained & Upright vs Baby Grand [Re: Tubbie0075]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Upright vs baby grand is a constant and ongoing topic with strong opinions on the Piano Forum. You'll probably get a lot of comments if you repost the thread over there.

#2137964 - 08/23/13 09:02 PM Re: Piano Brands Explained & Upright vs Baby Grand [Re: Tubbie0075]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

That is why I hide this post here instead ;-)

#2138068 - 08/24/13 02:41 AM Re: Piano Brands Explained & Upright vs Baby Grand [Re: Tubbie0075]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Beware of salesman who tries to convince you to buy a more expensive entry level baby grand when you are otherwise perfectly served by a less expensive professional level upright.

#2138088 - 08/24/13 03:38 AM Re: Piano Brands Explained & Upright vs Baby Grand [Re: Tubbie0075]
The Wind Offline

That guy's video could be biased as he is a salesman. I'm sure he has an ulterior motive. For me I'd rather have a great upright than a poor baby grand, if price is the same. What that guy says about hammer placement on an upright vs grand is bogus. The difference in action is minute unless you are a concert pianist who frets about all the minor details.

The tone of a high end upright is usually better than a similar priced baby grand.

#2138720 - 08/25/13 11:06 AM Re: Piano Brands Explained & Upright vs Baby Grand [Re: The Wind]
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted By: The Wind
What that guy says about hammer placement on an upright vs grand is bogus. The difference in action is minute unless you are a concert pianist who frets about all the minor details.

The tone of a high end upright is usually better than a similar priced baby grand.

I have to disagree with the idea that it takes a concert pianist to care about the difference. I'm probably somewhere in the "intermediate" range as a player, but I really love the grand action and would never go back to upright (literally, because in my case the upright action aggravated an injury).

As for what Estrin says, it's true he sells pianos, but he also is completely accurate in what he says about the mechanics of the different actions.
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2138790 - 08/25/13 02:00 PM Re: Piano Brands Explained & Upright vs Baby Grand [Re: Tubbie0075]
woodog Offline

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
Robert Estrin is correct in his statements.

My mother has a very fine 52" Steinway, well regulated and voiced.

I have a Baldwin L.

I prefer the timbre of her piano, but the action of my piano is much better.

Forrest
Bach 848, 866
Schumann Op. 15

#2138838 - 08/25/13 03:10 PM Re: Piano Brands Explained & Upright vs Baby Grand [Re: Tubbie0075]
carlos88 Online   content

Loc: Colorado
I've been working through the Bach 2 part inventions this year, and I have to agree with the video - the difference in playing fast ornaments and trills on the grand versus an upright was immediately apparent. (I've always wanted to try a harpsichord so get that comparison, but have never had a chance)

I suppose that advanced pianists can either power through the harder action on the upright, or know how to adjust ornaments so that they still sound appropriate when played slower.

His point about the differences in the pedal functions is spot on. I grew up playing an upright, and never knew that the soft/una corda pedal is really like the mute on a string instrument, with the purpose of changing the sound instead of just making it easier to play quieter.

#2139550 - 08/27/13 05:56 AM Re: Piano Brands Explained & Upright vs Baby Grand [Re: Tubbie0075]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
Tubbie0075, I have read your post, here:

re Piano Brands Explained & Upright vs Baby Grand

I always thought Young Chang was a Chinese brand. Anyway, for those that are in the market for a piano, this video might help you decide which one to go for.

Then there are those deciding between an expensive upright or a baby grand. Warning: this video may sway you towards baby grand.

________________________________________________________________________________

as I understand your post, you discuss the type of piano that one might like over another.

As a beginner piano player, I look at choosing a piano in a different way.

Without a piano - life is extremely lonely without a piano, so any piano is a good choice as opposed to having no piano. I played a clavinova for a year and I loved playing it almost every day. It was playing the digital that I learned the beginner piano book that taught me the notes of the bass clef and treble clef and it was during that experience that I fell in love with the piano - the digital piano for everything that it was and is.

There are many homes that have beautiful pianos - but nobody plays them. I remember a girl that I knew from college and I visited her in Valere, Montana, a tiny town in a cattle region of Montana in 1973, so a very long time ago. This girl's mother played by ear on an upright piano that had broken keys, but it was played beautifully and we sang all sorts music(songs) during my stay. So what is key to getting a piano -is getting a piano that you love and love to play.

I have a secondhand 3 legged piano and to me it is awesome, but I would settle for any piano with weighted keys just to be able to play and learn to play the piano.

To me it is not the piano, it is the journey of learning and playing the piano. I live in a shack that nobody would want to live in or even visit me, but I can play my piano. I don't care that there are holes in the walls and it hasn't been painted since I brought it 35 years ago. You cannot take anything with you when you go, and everything you do have, you have to give it way, so it is what you can live with that matters.

cheers,

3G27BBDF

#2139917 - 08/27/13 11:11 PM Re: Piano Brands Explained & Upright vs Baby Grand [Re: Michael_99]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Michael_99
To me it is not the piano, it is the journey of learning and playing the piano. I live in a shack that nobody would want to live in or even visit me, but I can play my piano.

I'd visit you, Michael. You come across as an incredibly nice person.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
10/24/14 10:23 PM
What is this piece?
by JoelW
10/24/14 09:54 PM
Piano Rankings
by phantomFive
10/24/14 07:59 PM
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
10/24/14 03:43 PM
Who's Online
71 registered (angga888, 36251, Alux, accordeur, 14 invisible), 1001 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158483 Topics
2327420 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission