Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2136989 - 08/22/13 07:40 AM New Roland FP80 owner questions
Pink Rose Offline

Hello everyone,
This is my first ever venture onto a forum! I am a music teacher with classical training who has recently bought a FP80. I'm finding the manual a little complicated. Does anyone know how to get the keyboard to play a major chord by just playing the root note please? Have got as far as splitting the keyboard and going into Function Mode, but setting Easy under Chord recognition doesn't work for me.

Secondly, when I use the sustain pedal there is always a noise like someone is brushing/ sweeping across the strings with their fingers on the inside of a real piano. The noise is always present but on a low volume settings this noise is barely discernible. Has anyone else noticed this or do you think that my pedal cable/ pedal is faulty? Please?! Thanks,
Pink Rose

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2136994 - 08/22/13 07:48 AM Re: New Roland FP80 owner questions [Re: Pink Rose]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Pink Rose
when I use the sustain pedal there is always a noise like someone is brushing/ sweeping across the strings with their fingers on the inside of a real piano. The noise is always present but on a low volume settings this noise is barely discernible. Has anyone else noticed this or do you think that my pedal cable/ pedal is faulty?

I have not played an FP80, but what you describe sounds like what happens when you play a real acoustic piano, particularly if you hit the pedal with some force. If Roland is trying to duplicate that accurately, you may find the sound diminished if you press down on the pedal more slowly. I would also check the manual to see if Roland provided some way to alter the volume of (or disable) the effect.

#2137038 - 08/22/13 09:15 AM Re: New Roland FP80 owner questions [Re: Pink Rose]
Hookxs Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Yes, go to the Piano Designer settings and lower the value of the Damper Noise setting (or set it to Off).

#2137127 - 08/22/13 12:17 PM Re: New Roland FP80 owner questions [Re: Pink Rose]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: Pink Rose
Secondly, when I use the sustain pedal there is always a noise like someone is brushing/ sweeping across the strings with their fingers on the inside of a real piano. The noise is always present but on a low volume settings this noise is barely discernible. Has anyone else noticed this or do you think that my pedal cable/ pedal is faulty? Please?! Thanks,
Pink Rose

Damper noise is arguably the weakest & lamest feature implementation of the SN sound. The fact that it doesn't work with MIDI playback can almost be seen as a positive thing.

#2137131 - 08/22/13 12:26 PM Re: New Roland FP80 owner questions [Re: dewster]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
Originally Posted By: dewster
Damper noise is arguably the weakest & lamest feature implementation of the SN sound. The fact that it doesn't work with MIDI playback can almost be seen as a positive thing.

Ditto, I always turn that off. It's an acoustic piano flaw. thumb

About the 1 finger chords, that might require an active accompaniment rhythm?

#2137188 - 08/22/13 01:29 PM Re: New Roland FP80 owner questions [Re: xorbe]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
My pianoteq damper sound is good; I like it a lot . . .surely te Roland will be equally good?

""

#2137232 - 08/22/13 02:30 PM Re: New Roland FP80 owner questions [Re: Pink Rose]
jarosujo Offline

Loc: Slovakia
Acoustic piano designers are trying to get rid of flaws like damper/hammer noise and we (DP users) pay extra for them :-)
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2

#2137872 - 08/23/13 05:10 PM Re: New Roland FP80 owner questions [Re: anotherscott]
Pink Rose Offline

Thank you. Have now found the disabling effect!
P Rose

#2137873 - 08/23/13 05:12 PM Re: New Roland FP80 owner questions [Re: Hookxs]
Pink Rose Offline

Hi.
Perfect!
Your advice was perfect and did the trick immediately. Thank you
P Rose

#2137879 - 08/23/13 05:23 PM Re: New Roland FP80 owner questions [Re: xorbe]
Pink Rose Offline

Hi
Thanks!
The one finger chords did need active rhythm section. Easy when you know how!

Really impressed with the speed of all the replies and how helpful everyone is. Not sure if I should send each person a special note to say thanks ... But am guessing I don't as this is public? Thank you for your v helpful reply and those of all others.

One thing I have discovered is the huge difference between the instruction manual saying "press" or "hold". I had thought a button once pressed would give rise to the whole range of possible options - but it's not! You only get half the options this way!

Thanks again
P Rose

#2137882 - 08/23/13 05:35 PM Re: New Roland FP80 owner questions [Re: Pink Rose]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Now you have resolved the minor issues you were experiencing, P Rose, would you care to give your opinions of the FP-80? I'd be curious as to what other DPs you tried before selecting the Roland, and what you think of its sound and response in comparison.

https://soundcloud.com/richards-recordings/sets/strange-charm-waiting-for-the/s-ppGuy

"can hardly wait to hear what voxpox has to say..."
[HisKidd, May 2014]

#2137915 - 08/23/13 06:55 PM Re: New Roland FP80 owner questions [Re: voxpops]
Ian J Offline

Loc: Oxford, UK
Until P Rose gets a chance to reply, perhaps I'll contribute here. I'm a friend who pointed her to this forum as I knew quick and helpful answers would be forthcoming!

A slab design with built in speakers was decided on, mostly for aesthetic reasons as it has less visual impact in a modest living room. Thus the FP50/80 came in to the frame as opportunities for trying things hands on were limited, and the Rolands were more available in the nearby shops. I suggested trying a competing Kawai (e.g. ES7)as I've tried their actions and liked them but they weren't available without going into London.

I've had a play on the instrument in question but I have to admit that I don't have a lot of experience with recent models -the last DP I bought was a 1991 Clavinova! So comparisons are with my acoustic Yam U3.

Action - I like it, it's perhaps slightly lighter than the U3 but it's precise and tons better than my old Clav!

Sound - Pianos are good with strong bass, perhaps a little muted in the 2 octaves or so above middle C compared to my U3 -perhaps why I preferred the Bright Piano? Only had a flick through other sounds - the Acoustic and Synth Bass sounds stood out, I've never been particularly taken with the choir/string/wood sounds on digitals (not like the strings on my an analogue 1981 ARP Quartet - but that's for another forum!)

Working out how to use the thing - I understand touch screens are out due to price constraints, but the permutations of button functions takes some getting used to! Took me a while to realise that press does not mean hold!

Overall I'm impressed, wouldn't mind one myself. http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/images/icons/default/grin.gif

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (accordeur, Al LaPorte, AndresD, ando, 43 invisible), 1921 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75560 Members
42 Forums
156227 Topics
2294427 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Questioning the Wisdom of Heavy Actions
by Dwscamel
Today at 12:52 PM
What do you think made you passionate about music/piano?
by Spuds
Today at 11:45 AM
Tune lab question
by RonTuner
Today at 11:32 AM
What IS this song? (And yes, I mean "song"!)
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 09:35 AM
Kawai Cp200 repair needed
by Walks
Today at 08:52 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission