Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2136708 - 08/21/13 04:57 PM Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
I posted a thread a year or two ago about the pianist Lee Luvisi, and it didn't stir up much activity, but he was a tremendous pianist (the youngest person to ever teach at Curtis... 19 years old whenever Rudolf Serkin and Efrem Zimbalist Sr. invited him to become a primary piano faculty), and has many recordings of live recitals that he gave.

However, they were stored away in his home, as well as two music libraries: University of Louisville, and University of Maryland. He's become good friends with my teacher, and I've turned pages for him before. After being urged by some of his close friends, he called me and asked me if I would be willing to share some of his live recordings onto YouTube.

I already shared a recital of Beethoven's Op. 109, 110, and 111 a while back, and here is a brand new one (another all-Beethoven recital): the little heard Fantasy, Op. 77; Sonata in F-sharp Major, Op. 78; and Variations on a Waltz by Diabelli. Recorded live in concert at the University of Louisville in 1993.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2136726 - 08/21/13 05:18 PM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Salt Lake City
This is wonderful news, have always been a great admirer of his playing and it's great to see that more people will now be exposed to his artistry.

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/

#2136748 - 08/21/13 06:01 PM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I don't know his playing at all but he must be quite incredible if he was invited to teach at Curtis at such a young age.

#2136772 - 08/21/13 06:57 PM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: pianoloverus]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I don't know his playing at all but he must be quite incredible if he was invited to teach at Curtis at such a young age.

I don't think he taught there for a long time, because he moved back to Louisville, KY (his hometown) and began teaching at the University of Louisville sometime in the 60's until 2001.

He didn't enter many competitions, though he did get third place at the Queen Elizabeth Competition in Brussels in 1960. He had a very good performing career (got to regularly perform chamber music as an Artist Member of the Lincoln Center Chamber Music Society with some of the best 20th century string players to exist, as well as concertos with many major orchestras/conductors, such as Bernstein and Ormandy), but never got a recording contract, although there are a couple commercial recordings out there (Brahms cello sonatas/Schumann Fantasiestucke for piano/cello), and some German art songs with a wonderful soprano Jan DeGaetani.

#2136773 - 08/21/13 06:58 PM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Thracozaag]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, finland
I'm listening to op. 78 now, which I'm actually re-studying at the moment, and it's absolutely gorgeous playing! Simple, charming, he lets the music speak for itself without making things too complicated. Lovely interpretation!

#2137113 - 08/22/13 11:54 AM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I'm hoping tomorrow to get another recital or two uploaded. There is one with Schubert's Moments Musicaux and Schumann's Carnival that is quite good.

#2137208 - 08/22/13 01:56 PM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
I'm hoping tomorrow to get another recital or two uploaded. There is one with Schubert's Moments Musicaux and Schumann's Carnival that is quite good.

Thanks so much for making the effort to do this. Mr. Luvisi deserves to be heard by a larger audience. thumb

#2137312 - 08/22/13 04:58 PM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
woodog Offline

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
As an ten year old child, Lee Luvisi was the pianist at the first classical piano concert I heard in Camden, SC.

This would have been 1968.

I have a recording of his of the last 3 Beethoven sonatas. Good stuff.

Forrest

--------------------
current studies:
Debussy: Suite Bergamasque, Prelude & Menuet
Beethoven Op. 78
Bach WTC 1, C# Major (#3)

#2137434 - 08/22/13 09:31 PM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
Emanuel Ravelli Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
I'm familiar with Luvisi's name, but have never heard him play until I clicked on your first link. Listened all the way through op. 109, my favorite Beethoven sonata. Marvelous! He gets a beautiful sound, shapes phrases elegantly, and has all the technical equipment to play the most challenging parts of this work and make them sound easy and natural. Please keep posting.

#2137834 - 08/23/13 03:53 PM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I will be creating a new channel for this project, so within a week or so, I will delete the two videos from my channel and re-upload them to the new channel, along with the next one in line to be uploaded. This way, I can also grant access of the channel to my teacher, and once I leave the Louisville area (whenever that is), somebody else can take over and manage it.

#2137855 - 08/23/13 04:30 PM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
Eduard Hanslick Offline

I'm not familiar with him, but I will make it over there and watch some of the videos. Looking forward to it.

#2137900 - 08/23/13 06:15 PM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
Dwscamel Offline

I hadn't heard of Lee Luvisi before, but I absolutely love op.111, so I'll listen to that soon. For now, I'm listening to the Fantasy you posted, and his playing has a remarkably charming, musical, natural quality. He makes it seem so easy, and I'm usually not super-engaged by Beethoven.

Thanks for sharing, OSK.

#2142977 - 09/02/13 05:38 PM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Next two installments! Due to some slight roadblocks, this is not YouTube, but Box.com. This is only temporary, and they will be re-worked to YouTube within the week, but I want to start sharing now. May even do one more installment tonight. smile

Installment 3:

From a recording session in Louisville, KY in 1978. This is not a live recital, but to my knowledge, these are single-takes.

Schubert: Moments Musicaux, D. 780 (Op. 94)
Schumann: Carnival, Op. 9

Installment 4:

Live recital from the University of Louisville School of Music, September 8, 1985.

All Schubert:
-4 Impromptus, D. 935 (Op. 142)
No. 1: F Minor
No. 2: A-Flat Major
No. 3: B-Flat Major
No. 4: F Minor

- Sonata in B-Flat Major, D. 960
I. Molto moderato
II. Adagio
III. Menuetto: Allegro - Trio
IV. Allegro

Edited by Orange Soda King (09/02/13 05:58 PM)

#2143009 - 09/02/13 06:32 PM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Let me go ahead and add a lot more, since this current process is very fast. smile

Installment 5: All-Mozart recital:
Click to reveal..

https://app.box.com/s/f6wlbqkb1fkf2uxom993
Recorded LIVE at University of Louisville School of Music, 1991

Installment 6: Variations recital:
Click to reveal..

https://app.box.com/s/ozs9ciaemptysjucrzka
Beethoven: November 20, 2000
Mendelssohn: September 7, 1997
Brahms: October 28, 1983

Installment 7: Schubert Op. 142, D. 960:
Click to reveal..

https://app.box.com/s/i8l9k23nzfq9rpf34nal
Recorded LIVE from University of Louisville School of Music on September 8, 1985

Installment 8: Schumann Fantasy, Schubert D. 959:
Click to reveal..

https://app.box.com/s/pwoeczm6wdeewa67pr2i
Recorded LIVE from University of Louisville School of Music on September 13, 1992

Installment 9 Galuppi Sonata, Schubert D. 894, Chopin Fantasy in F Minor, Op. 49:
Click to reveal..

https://app.box.com/s/1u37rjmpdohn8zkmffud
Recorded LIVE from Ballard High School School of Fine Arts Center, Louisville, KY on September 8, 2003

Get a whiff of THIS and tell me what you think! smile Remember these are live recitals

#2143165 - 09/02/13 11:14 PM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
FINALLY someone who plays the CORRECT RHYTHMS in the opening of 109...... Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great, great recording!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2143169 - 09/02/13 11:21 PM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Also, perfect tempo for the 3rd movement theme!!!!!!!

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2143215 - 09/03/13 02:06 AM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Pogorelich.]
D. S. F. Offline

Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
FINALLY someone who plays the CORRECT RHYTHMS in the opening of 109...... Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, yes the image of the invisible God who is before all things, through whom and for whom all things have been created and in whom all things consist, hold together, endure...visible and invisible, from the furthest stretch of the heavens down to the very little things which make up that piano, not to mention the sound waves emanating from it, or better yet your ears which hear it, your eyes that read this, and you conscience which feels it...

I'd think he can comprehend a simple rhythm.

#2143231 - 09/03/13 02:59 AM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
Michael Sayers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms län, Sverige
I very much enjoyed the Schumann Fantasy Op. 17 even from the very beginning in the opening bars where he kept the l.h. inobtrusive.

Thanks for making these recordings available!

p.s. - my favourite recording of the Schumann Fantasy though still is that live WWII era Gieseking radio broadcast.

M.

#2143354 - 09/03/13 10:01 AM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I am glad you all enjoyed. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the Schumann Fantasy, and need to continue doing so, for I am not familiar with it.

His playing continues to astound me; Pogorelich, his Beethoven is among the very best!! No exaggeration!

#2143374 - 09/03/13 11:04 AM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
Michael Sayers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms län, Sverige
Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
I am glad you all enjoyed. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the Schumann Fantasy, and need to continue doing so, for I am not familiar with it.

His playing continues to astound me; Pogorelich, his Beethoven is among the very best!! No exaggeration!

It seems there is no Liszt or Alkan recorded by him . . .

M.

#2143404 - 09/03/13 11:43 AM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: D. S. F.]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: D. S. F.

Well, yes the image of the invisible God who is before all things, through whom and for whom all things have been created and in whom all things consist, hold together, endure...visible and invisible, from the furthest stretch of the heavens down to the very little things which make up that piano, not to mention the sound waves emanating from it, or better yet your ears which hear it, your eyes that read this, and you conscience which feels it...

I'd think he can comprehend a simple rhythm.

Surprisingly, it seems to be a challenge for most people who play this piece wink And there are all sorts of arguments and disagreements about some rhythms in 109.

Edited by Pogorelich. (09/03/13 11:44 AM)

#2143405 - 09/03/13 11:45 AM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Pogorelich.]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Surprisingly, it seems to be a challenge for most people who play this piece wink And there are all sorts of arguments and disagreements about some rhythms in 109.

Can you elaborate? How are the rhythms usually played wrongly? And which rhythms have generated disagreements?

-J

#2143407 - 09/03/13 11:49 AM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I don't have the score with me at the moment but one particular passage jumps at me - the scale at the end of the first "improvisational" section.

#2145244 - 09/06/13 12:03 PM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Schubert Moments Musicaux and Schumann Carnival now on YouTube!!

Note the new account. This account will continue to be managed by U of Louisville piano students when I graduate in the future.

#2145319 - 09/06/13 02:42 PM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

And here is an all-Mozart recital! Suite in C Major, Variations in F, Minuet in D, Gigue in G, German Dances, and Fantasy + Sonata in C minor! Hope you enjoy. May get another one today!

#2145421 - 09/06/13 06:45 PM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

And finally, two more: Schumann Fantasy and Schubert D. 959, and Galuppi, Schubert D. 894, and Chopin's Fantasy in F Minor.

#2145951 - 09/07/13 06:54 PM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Thracozaag]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: Thracozaag
This is wonderful news, have always been a great admirer of his playing and it's great to see that more people will now be exposed to his artistry.

I had never heard of him before, but these performances have been a real treat for me.

This morning my local classical station played the Op 109 with Paul Lewis. It was incredible, and I wasn't able to do much else except sit and listen. So it was with some trepidation that I approached Luvisi's Op 109 this afternoon. (I mean, more than one Op 109 per day verges on Spiritual overload.)

But I must say, Beethoven's softly caressing lightning can strike twice in one day. I am very grateful to have heard this.

#2145975 - 09/07/13 07:33 PM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the comment, Jason!

Here are two more that have made it from Box to YouTube: All-Schubert recital (Op. 142 Impromptus, D. 960 Sonata) and an all-variations compilation from various recitals (Beethoven Eroica, Mendelssohn Op. 54, Brahms-Handel).

I hope you all enjoy. The Schubert is especially other-worldly. smile

#2147282 - 09/09/13 11:02 PM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
That was an INCREDIBLE op. 109, and I really enjoyed the Mendelssohn Songs without Words and the Schumann Fantasie. So many amazing (live!) recordings! Very beautiful, honest, music-making.
Schubert - Drei Klavierstcke D. 946
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata op.28

#2147477 - 09/10/13 10:31 AM Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube [Re: Orange Soda King]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Kuan! I got a few more to share before I've exhausted what he gave me (I may ask and see if he may want to pick out some more, hehe).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
90 registered (Aucha, Atrys, 3rd Ear, 25 invisible), 1140 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153568 Topics
2250682 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
04/19/14 01:00 AM
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
04/18/14 10:49 PM
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
04/18/14 10:27 PM
Piano Science
by venice1
04/18/14 09:59 PM
MP7 vs MP11: only 6 differences?
by Marko in Boston
04/18/14 09:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission