2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (bcalvanese, BillS728, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, danno858, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2138015 08/23/13 11:22 PM
K
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
K
Are there any pieces that you really wanted to learn, and loved to listen to, but when you started learning them it was a frustrating, tedious experience?

I'm currently working on Chopin's third sonata...and wow. I don't know whether it's the awkward passagework, or the elusive musical moments, but it's just awful to work on. There are some days when I feel like it's the greatest piece in the world, and then sometimes I wonder why I'm even working on it.

Another piece which was pretty bad was Debussy's "Pagodes" from his Estampes.

An example of a professional pianist going through the same dilemma...Richter really liked Prokofiev's 2nd sonata, but upon learning it, it "gave him no pleasure" and ceased to be one of his favourite works.

Any similar experiences?

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I felt very much the same way about the Schubert big A-major sonata. Almost 60 pages of score to learn, a really good slow movement, none of it physically difficult, yet only a few really good musical ideas in the rest bridged by endless transitional material that isn't very architecturally sound or logical. So it's hard to memorize and not really interesting or satisfying to work on.

I also feel that way about Islamey. A rather long score, generally tedious writing, yet you'll have to work like a slave for months or even years to to make it go, and it's not even a good piece of music.

Originally Posted by laguna_greg
Almost 60 pages of score to learn, a really good slow movement, none of it physically difficult, yet only a few really good musical ideas in the rest bridged by endless transitional material that isn't very architecturally sound or logical. So it's hard to memorize and not really interesting or satisfying to work on.

?

K
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
K
I felt very much the same way about the Schubert big A-major sonata. Almost 60 pages of score to learn, a really good slow movement, none of it physically difficult, yet only a few really good musical ideas in the rest bridged by endless transitional material that isn't very architecturally sound or logical. So it's hard to memorize and not really interesting or satisfying to work on.

I also feel that way about Islamey. A rather long score, generally tedious writing, yet you'll have to work like a slave for months or even years to to make it go, and it's not even a good piece of music.

That's D959, right? I'll give it a read, I've only read through 960 from his last three sonatas. And I feel the same way about the first half of the exposition of the first movement of Chopin 3....2 bars after 2 bars of material....then a pedal point and away the sonata goes. But until we reach the second subject, yuck.... (IMO! Heresy I know...)

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D.959, that's the one! The slow movement is gorgeous, the rest not so much. The last movement, a rondo, only has two real themes and it's 16 pages long in my score.

You never know, you really might love it. I love that Chopin you're working on!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ScriabinAddict
Almost 60 pages of score to learn, a really good slow movement, none of it physically difficult, yet only a few really good musical ideas in the rest bridged by endless transitional material that isn't very architecturally sound or logical. So it's hard to memorize and not really interesting or satisfying to work on.

?

What can I say? Schubert, one of the greatest melody writers who has ever lived, was not very skilled at the architecture required for longer forms.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Look at the next sonata and see that he was good at architecture! smile I really love 959 too...

Anything Bach for me frown

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Beethoven's Fur Elise and any movement of Moonlight Sonata.

On the opposite side, Rachmaninoff's op.32 no.10 prelude was an absolute joy to learn, and it has been one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.

Scriabin's op.2 no.1 is also extremely satisfying.

Not exactly the virtuoso level of writing you others mentioned, but I'll keep practicing.

Beethoven - Op.49 No.1 (sonata 19)
Czerny - Op.299 Nos. 5,7 (School of Velocity)
Liszt - S.172 No.2 (Consolation No.2)

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King

Seriously?

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
For me, a lot of Debussy is a case of diminishing returns in return for the effort.

If my last two teachers hadn't given me Debussy to learn, I probably would never have touched any of his music (other than reading through maybe a couple of the popular Préludes and Clair de lune and Arabesques and Children's Corner).

But ever since, I haven't gone back to playing any of his music.

If music be the food of love, play on!
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
I think it's just a natural stage that happens for many pieces. It's like you lose your coherent sense of the "meaning" of the piece when you start to really take it apart to learn it. And, for some pieces with some people, it's not possible to regain that sense - the piece never does come back together in quite the way you expect it to. There are all kinds of reasons that could happen, I think.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Dwscamel
any movement of Moonlight Sonata.

Really? Even the 3rd movement? To me that one was very rewarding because it sounds really hard, but isn't. Sounds much harder than it is and fits the hands very easily. Good bang for the buck. wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My current piece is the Rachmaninoff Prelude in G, Op. 23 no. 5. It sounds so light and carefree when others play it, but I can't make it sound that way, and then I get angry with it and then obviously it gets worse. So now I dread having to work on the piece because I don't want to get frustrated... Which leads to the piece not getting better... Arghhh! (haven't had an "Arghhh" moment for a while here smile )

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Look at the next sonata and see that he was good at architecture! smile I really love 959 too...

Many people argue the point, even with the last sonata.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Laguna, I've actually heard people argue about him dragging too long, but the best performances of Schubert captivate me every time!

And AZNpiano, I'm afraid so. I don't have enough experience playing his music. After I give a recital this semester, I will play a Prelude and Fugue. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi OSK,

Laguna, I've actually heard people argue about him dragging too long, but the best performances of Schubert captivate me every time!

And AZNpiano, I'm afraid so. I don't have enough experience playing his music. After I give a recital this semester, I will play a Prelude and Fugue. smile

That's very true, but I think that's more about the strength of the artistic vision of the performer than it is about the work. I heard Radu Lupu, who is made for this kind of rep, play the last Schubert is if it were one long, uninterrupted sigh. A truly astounding performance. In lesser hands, the whole thing can fall very flat. Whereas if you play the Apassionata and just hit all the right notes pretty much, you'll wow the audience every time because the piece just sells itself.

BTW, good luck with the Bach!

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I don't believe OSK is saying he doesn't like Bach. He's saying it can be tedious to learn and I, a great lover of Bach, agree. There is no other composer who forces me to learn so slowly, note by note, measure by measure. In Classical and Romantic music, the notes often fall easily under the fingers as you follow the melodic line. Finding the best fingering for Bach can take a long time. In Bach, you find yourself doing unexpected acrobatics to make the measures, continuity and voices work. Then, bringing out the voices can take painstaking work. I adore Bach but his works take me longer to learn than any other composer. It is satisfying work but, drilling it into my fingers can be tedious at times.

Best regards,

Deborah
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gooddog
I adore Bach but his works take me longer to learn than any other composer. It is satisfying work but, drilling it into my fingers can be tedious at times.

I hear that! It does get better over time though. It used to take me as long as a year to learn a fugue. Now it sometimes takes me only 6 months....sometimes...

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I'm enthusiastic about many works written in the 20th/21st centuries, but - due to learning curves - I've given up on a couple: The Elliott Carter Sonata and Charles Ives's 3-page Sonata.

I used to know the 3rd of Schoenberg's Drie Klavierstucke , op. 11. That was an extremely tough one to learn and I like to think that I came close to mastering it. I left it alone for a couple of years and when I re-opened the score I could not remember one darn note of it.....

I pay lip service to the notion of picking up these pieces again, it's most likely an economical reason that's keeping me away.

D.959 is one of my favorite works and learning the last movement took a bit of patience for me, too.

Last edited by Gerard12; 08/24/13 03:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Piano instruction and performance
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
Are there any pieces that you really wanted to learn, and loved to listen to, but when you started learning them it was a frustrating, tedious experience?

I'm currently working on Chopin's third sonata...and wow. I don't know whether it's the awkward passagework, or the elusive musical moments, but it's just awful to work on. There are some days when I feel like it's the greatest piece in the world, and then sometimes I wonder why I'm even working on it.

Another piece which was pretty bad was Debussy's "Pagodes" from his Estampes.

An example of a professional pianist going through the same dilemma...Richter really liked Prokofiev's 2nd sonata, but upon learning it, it "gave him no pleasure" and ceased to be one of his favourite works.

Any similar experiences?

Normally it's the working out that I enjoy the most—finding solutions to technical and musical problems. But for me, the Beethoven Op 106 fugue nearly did me in; I had to postpone my senior recital because it refused to stick. I was, of course, too young for it. Finally got it learned and Performed it 3 times, then put it away forever.

Concert Pianist, University Professor, Private Teacher in Los Angeles
Blog: http://www.pianoteacherlosangeles.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission