2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 47 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 46 47
A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
A
I hope someone does op 62 no 2... I listened to that for the first time this morning and I really liked it!

I want more time and talent. That's not asking for much, is it? grin

I am sorry, I guess I have not made myself clear. I would still like op 57 no 6 "Hjemve" as my first choice, and then I ask for op 43 no 4 "Liten fugl" if I still can have a second choice smile

Ragnhild

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
38.4 isn't my second choice. It's my main piece. I don't have a second choice yet.

whoops again - this is all getting a bit much for me! Rupak, your idea of a database which people update themselves has begun to look very attractive again - (only joking)!

mmm Ragnhild Ist choice:57,6 and 2nd: 43,4, and PianoDad 38,4 for FIRST, not both choices (!)... here we go again...

OPUS 12
No. 1, Arietta :;;;; AIMEEO.
No. 2, Vals (Waltz):;;;SARANOYYA.
No. 3, Vektersang (Watchman's song, after Macbeth):;;;CASINITALY.
No. 4, Alfedans (Elves' dance);;;;; LADYCHEN
No. 5, Folkevise (Popular melody):;;; ANDY PLATT.
No. 6, Norsk (Norwegian melod
No. 7, Albumblad (Albumleaf)
No. 8, Fedrelandssang (National song)

Book II, Op. 38 (composed 1883 except where noted; published 1883):

No. 1, Berceuse
No. 2, Folkevise (Folk-song)::::WAYNE33YRS
No. 3, Melodi (Melody)::: SWISSMS
No. 4, Halling (Dance);;;;PIANO DAD
No. 5, Springdans (Spring dance)[1]
No. 6, Elegi (Elegy);;;:RECAREDO.
No. 7, Vals (Waltz, originally composed 1866; revised 1883)
No. 8, Kanon (Canon, composed ca. 1877-8?; revised 1883)

Book III, Op. 43 (composed probably 1886; published 1886; ded. Isidor Seiss):

No. 1, Sommerfugl (Butterfly) ;;;;:BERIC.
No. 2, Ensom vandrer (Solitary traveller)
No. 3, I hjemmet (In my homeland):::ALLARD
No. 4, Liten fugl (Little bird)
No. 5, Erotikk (Erotikon);;;;: PETERWS
No. 6, Til våren (To spring)

Book IV, Op. 47 (composed 1886-8 except where noted; published 1888):

No. 1, Valse-Impromptu
No. 2, Albumblad (Albumleaf)
No. 3, Melodi (Melody);;;;IRENE ADLER
No. 4, Halling;; CARLOS88
No. 5, Melankoli (Melancholy):STUMBLER
No. 6, Springtanz (Spring dance,[1] composed 1872?; revised 1888)
No. 7, Elegi (Elegy)

Book V, Op. 54 (composed 1889-91; published 1891; Nos. 1-4 later orchestrated as Lyric Suite):

No. 1, Gjetergutt (Shepherd's boy)
No. 2, Gangar (Norwegian march)ZRTF90
No. 3, Trolltog (March of the Dwarfs);;;; Rossy: oh deary me what have I done?
No. 4, Notturno :;;; DIPSY.
No. 5, Scherzo
No. 6, Klokkeklang (Bell ringing):;;; SINOPHILIA.

Book VI, Op. 57 (composed 1890?-3; published 1893):

No. 1, Svundne dager (Vanished days)
No. 2, Gade ;;;;;;SAMS.
No. 3, Illusjon (Illusion)pianostudent88
No. 4, Geheimniss (Secret)
No. 5, Sie tanzt (She dances)
No. 6, Heimweh (Homesickness) Ragnhild

Book VII, Op. 62 (composed 1893?-5; published 1895):

No. 1, Sylfide (Sylph)
No. 2, Takk (Gratitude)
No. 3, Fransk serenade (French serenade)
No. 4, Bekken (Brooklet): NILUH01
No. 5, Drømmesyn (Phantom): PAVEL.K
No. 6, Hjemad (Homeward):

Book VIII, Op. 65 (composed 1896; published 1897):

No. 1, Fra ungdomsdagene (From early years):;; MORODIENE.
No. 2, Bondens sang (Peasant's song);;;;:WISEBUFF
No. 3, Tungsinn (Melancholy)
No. 4, Salong (Salon)
No. 5, I balladetone (Ballad);;;;:RUPAK.
No. 6, Bryllupsdag på Troldhaugen (Wedding Day at Troldhaugen):;; GANDDALF.

Book IX, Op. 68 (composed 1898-9; published 1899; Nos. 4 and 5 were orchestrated in 1899):

No. 1, Matrosenes oppsang (Sailor's song):::::ElleC
No. 2, Bestemors menuet (Grandmother's minuet)
No. 3, For dine føtter (At your feet): DIRE TONIC
No. 4, Aften på højfjellet (Evening in the mountains): LIMEFRIDAY
No. 5, Bådnlåt (At the cradle): CAREY
No. 6, Valse mélancolique (Melancholy waltz)

Book X, Op. 71 (composed and published 1901):

No. 1, Det var engang (Once upon a time)
No. 2, Sommeraften (Summer's eve)
No. 3, Småtroll (Puck);;;;;;:FARMGIRL
No. 4, Skogstillhet (Peace in the woods);;;;;;:VALENCIA.
No. 5, Halling
No. 6, Forbi (Gone)Keystring
No. 7, Etterklang (Remembrances);;;;;;:DYNOMOBT.

And if they are not taken by others , then we have second choices of:

Saranoya (12.7)
Dipsy (38.7)
wisebuff (43.2)
Ragnhild (43.4)
Beric (43.6)
SwissMS (47.1)
Ganddalf (47.2)
Peterws (47.6)
dire tonic (57.1)
niluh01 (62.1)
PianoStudent88 (65.3)
Limefriday (71.1)
Farmgirl (71.3)

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Can I be a real pain and ask that my forum name be spelled correctly? I know it's a minor detail.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It is.

However, you are right and I'll correct it next time I update

M
M
Grieg update!

Op 65/1: From the Early Years - this is going pretty well. I'm still working on refining the 16th notes at the end in the RH so that they create more an atmosphere than be individual notes that you hear. The big octaves in the LH can sometimes tense up if I'm not careful too. The fast middle section is getting better, I just have to play it from memory I think.

There is one spot that I'm having trouble playing up to tempo without really tensing up, and I wonder if anyone has ideas on what I can do. It's in m. 81, 87, 93, and 99. It's all th same figure, there's the triplets in the RH with some held notes:

This ex. is in D major.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The problem I'm having is the first set of triplets has to be done with fingers 3 and 5 with 5 on a sharp . Up to tempo this is really tough! Any suggestions? I'd rather not drop the lower notes.

edited to add: for some reason my images aren't posting correctly. If you want to see the whole page, it is found on page 5, the last measure in the first line, and first measure in the 3rd line:
Grieg op 65

Last edited by Morodiene; 06/26/13 09:59 AM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
phew! rather you than me! What's your tempo on this?

Off the top of my head, in desparation, how about a re-write? (looking at the first of those bars)...

Forget the RH F# half-note, that leaves you working 2,3,4 for the melody instead of 3,4,5.

Or, if you can't live without the F# you could play the LH up an octave but play a 10th interval instead (B,D) then you can ditch the D in the RH, now with the thumb on F# leaving you again with the easier(?) 2,3,4 fingering?. You can make that easier still by leaving the LH thumb on D for the full 3 beats bringing the pinky UP to the higher E on beat 3 that gives you almost total freedom for the RH in the tail of that bar.

possibly?

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I'm listed for 65.3 (Melancholy) as a second choice and I do love the piece and will continue working on it, but want to request that for now I be delisted as having any second choice request on it, in case that's keeping someone else from requesting it. I feel that anyone else will do a better job at this than I. If I do end up doing it (which I will do if noone prefers to claim it) it will be at a veeeeery stately tempo, and the most minimal stretto effects possible while at least trying to honor "accel e cresc" in spirit if not in execution.

My primary piece 57.3 (Illusion) is coming along although I despair of ever getting the LH voicing balanced for when the melody descends into the top note of the LH chords. And I'm not sure I can make it properly allegretto. Plus I got my piano tuned and that did perk the sound right up, but my piano is drifting out of that perfect tuning and now it sounds blah again. But I'm getting a Dampp Chaser installed and then another tuning this summer so maybe I will have a lovely tuning in place again for when I come to record this.

If I try to play it really reflecting on the sound, it becomes very much slower than Allegretto.

I wonder if maybe there's a lightness and lift on the sixteenth notes that is the thing I should be focusing on. I just can't get it to sound like anything really interesting yet. Maybe I should try just singing it a lot, and see what inflections my voice finds to take with it, and only then transfer those inflections to the piano.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
M
M
I'm taking it at around 170 bpm for quarter note, maybe slightly less if I can't manage this well.

I tried your suggestion, but my hands are small so a 10th is not really possible, but I don't like losing the bass here. Actually, now that I play it again, I think the problem lies in going to the last triplet from the first one. Since the first triplet ends on C# finger 5, then the net triplet starts on finger 4 on a B natural, and having to play the D on the last triplet with the RH thumb means I can't get away with playing higher on the B to get it closer to the C#. It's just not ergonomically designed for my little macaroni pinkies! However, if I really try to play as high on the white keys as possible I think that helps.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
No, well my hands aren't large so I'm on fingertips for the 10th anyway. I know what you mean about losing the punch of the lower bass. How about sacrificing half of that by keeping beat 1 of the LH where it is and playing beat 3 spanning the 7th interval on the higher E?

...the upshot being that you can play that second RH A with the thumb. Really, at that tempo, with a bit of judicious sustain, I don't think you lose a lot by not playing the final RH D on beat 3 so you could play the entire LH as written. Better to play the triplets clean with slightly emptier harmony.

Last edited by dire tonic; 06/26/13 11:24 AM.
M
M
Originally Posted by dire tonic
No, well my hands aren't large so I'm on fingertips for the 10th anyway. I know what you mean about losing the punch of the lower bass. How about sacrificing half of that by keeping beat 1 of the LH where it is and playing beat 3 spanning the 7th interval on the higher E?

Oo, I like that! Beat 3 is less important and you don't really miss the lower octave there, and it's just as easy to get back down to the note on the next measure. I'll try working on this and see if that's better. Thank you!! laugh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OK, nobody has claimed op. 12 no 6 (Norsk), so I'll start it as a second piece.

If I can't do it, perhaps I'll pass it off to my son when he gets back in August. grin Well, he did say he might try one, and so few are left!

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I see the list hasn't been updated, which is good because after a lovely evening at the piano I would like to keep 65.3 (Melancholy) as my second choice.

Also after playing 65.3 several times through with great drama, I was able to bring that drama to my first choice 57.3 (Illusion) about which I'd been despairing of ever getting it to sound like something, and now it finally does. Sound like something, I mean.

I'm not sure if Grieg is meant to be played with great slatherings of rubato and melodrama, but I like the effect. After I've experimented like this for several weeks, I may try the piece again more simply and see if I find more in it that way by way of contrast.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
So today I did a preliminary recording of some sections - disastrous of course laugh
Most of all I wanted to understand the actual difference between regular audio-in recording and MIDI, which I had never used. I thought the latter wouldn't capture dynamics, pedal and expression, but I was actually quite pleased with the result! The grand piano samples in GarageBand sound very nice smile

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I got a recording I was somewhat happy with the other day of Volksweise (Op 12.5). I decided to listen to one of the YouTube performances I had listened to when picking out the piece. Ugh, back to the piano I trudged!!

Must.Not.Listen.To.Better.Pianists. wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
M
M
I'll be trying out some recording today just to have some takes before I leave for a month. I'll be able to practice in New Mexico, but I'm not sure how much. I'm there to sing opera, so piano practice time will be limited. Hopefully I can maintain the From The Early Years and Halling enough so when I return in August I can get them back up to speed again for another run at recording.

I'm also meeting with a colleague of mine to help out a bit with some tension issues I'm having, hopefully we can meet before I leave. I have determined that Grieg must have had somewhat large hands with all the big chords he likes to use. Unfortunately for me and my little hands, I also like big chords.

Thanks again, Dire Tonic for the advice on what to do with that one section: I've just got to rework that up to tempo but it definitely helps! I have a similar issue with the Halling Op 71/5 that I'm afraid I'll have to not play it quite as it is written. I think in this case I'm going to have to drop some notes, but there's a lot going on , so maybe no one will be able to hear the difference smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I have determined that Grieg must have had somewhat large hands with all the big chords he likes to use.

I'm told that he had humungous hands. laugh

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I'm also leaving for a month now, and I'll not have access to a piano while I'm away. I'm also going to have very limited time for polishing and recording when I get back. I'll travel again in September, and need to have the piece(s) recorded by September 1st. But on that date I also have to make a performance as an accompanist, playing Chilcott's Requiem. Need some luck, I guess.

Well, my teacher wants to pick a different piece for me to work on, c'est la vie! I will relinquish Melody op. 47 no. 3. Maybe three times will be the charm? Perhaps, when the next recital comes along my teacher will finally agree that recital piece is a good piece to study.

Page 24 of 47 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 46 47

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission