Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2138015 - 08/23/13 11:22 PM Really Tedious Learns
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Are there any pieces that you really wanted to learn, and loved to listen to, but when you started learning them it was a frustrating, tedious experience?

I'm currently working on Chopin's third sonata...and wow. I don't know whether it's the awkward passagework, or the elusive musical moments, but it's just awful to work on. There are some days when I feel like it's the greatest piece in the world, and then sometimes I wonder why I'm even working on it.

Another piece which was pretty bad was Debussy's "Pagodes" from his Estampes.

An example of a professional pianist going through the same dilemma...Richter really liked Prokofiev's 2nd sonata, but upon learning it, it "gave him no pleasure" and ceased to be one of his favourite works.

Any similar experiences?
Franck - Violin Sonata

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2138020 - 08/23/13 11:36 PM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: Kuanpiano]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
I felt very much the same way about the Schubert big A-major sonata. Almost 60 pages of score to learn, a really good slow movement, none of it physically difficult, yet only a few really good musical ideas in the rest bridged by endless transitional material that isn't very architecturally sound or logical. So it's hard to memorize and not really interesting or satisfying to work on.

I also feel that way about Islamey. A rather long score, generally tedious writing, yet you'll have to work like a slave for months or even years to to make it go, and it's not even a good piece of music.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2138026 - 08/23/13 11:51 PM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: laguna_greg]
ScriabinAddict Offline

Originally Posted By: laguna_greg
Almost 60 pages of score to learn, a really good slow movement, none of it physically difficult, yet only a few really good musical ideas in the rest bridged by endless transitional material that isn't very architecturally sound or logical. So it's hard to memorize and not really interesting or satisfying to work on.

?

#2138032 - 08/24/13 12:04 AM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: laguna_greg]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I felt very much the same way about the Schubert big A-major sonata. Almost 60 pages of score to learn, a really good slow movement, none of it physically difficult, yet only a few really good musical ideas in the rest bridged by endless transitional material that isn't very architecturally sound or logical. So it's hard to memorize and not really interesting or satisfying to work on.

I also feel that way about Islamey. A rather long score, generally tedious writing, yet you'll have to work like a slave for months or even years to to make it go, and it's not even a good piece of music.

That's D959, right? I'll give it a read, I've only read through 960 from his last three sonatas. And I feel the same way about the first half of the exposition of the first movement of Chopin 3....2 bars after 2 bars of material....then a pedal point and away the sonata goes. But until we reach the second subject, yuck.... (IMO! Heresy I know...)
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2138035 - 08/24/13 12:09 AM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: Kuanpiano]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

D.959, that's the one! The slow movement is gorgeous, the rest not so much. The last movement, a rondo, only has two real themes and it's 16 pages long in my score.

You never know, you really might love it. I love that Chopin you're working on!

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2138037 - 08/24/13 12:12 AM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: ScriabinAddict]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ScriabinAddict
Almost 60 pages of score to learn, a really good slow movement, none of it physically difficult, yet only a few really good musical ideas in the rest bridged by endless transitional material that isn't very architecturally sound or logical. So it's hard to memorize and not really interesting or satisfying to work on.

?

What can I say? Schubert, one of the greatest melody writers who has ever lived, was not very skilled at the architecture required for longer forms.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA

#2138052 - 08/24/13 01:48 AM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: Kuanpiano]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Look at the next sonata and see that he was good at architecture! smile I really love 959 too...

Anything Bach for me frown

#2138059 - 08/24/13 02:06 AM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: Kuanpiano]
Dwscamel Offline

Beethoven's Fur Elise and any movement of Moonlight Sonata.

On the opposite side, Rachmaninoff's op.32 no.10 prelude was an absolute joy to learn, and it has been one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.

Scriabin's op.2 no.1 is also extremely satisfying.

Not exactly the virtuoso level of writing you others mentioned, but I'll keep practicing.

#2138061 - 08/24/13 02:16 AM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: Orange Soda King]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King

Seriously?

#2138099 - 08/24/13 04:38 AM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: Kuanpiano]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

For me, a lot of Debussy is a case of diminishing returns in return for the effort.

If my last two teachers hadn't given me Debussy to learn, I probably would never have touched any of his music (other than reading through maybe a couple of the popular Préludes and Clair de lune and Arabesques and Children's Corner).

But ever since, I haven't gone back to playing any of his music.

#2138127 - 08/24/13 07:07 AM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: Kuanpiano]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I think it's just a natural stage that happens for many pieces. It's like you lose your coherent sense of the "meaning" of the piece when you start to really take it apart to learn it. And, for some pieces with some people, it's not possible to regain that sense - the piece never does come back together in quite the way you expect it to. There are all kinds of reasons that could happen, I think.

#2138133 - 08/24/13 07:39 AM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: Dwscamel]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Dwscamel
any movement of Moonlight Sonata.

Really? Even the 3rd movement? To me that one was very rewarding because it sounds really hard, but isn't. Sounds much harder than it is and fits the hands very easily. Good bang for the buck. wink

#2138178 - 08/24/13 09:41 AM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: Kuanpiano]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My current piece is the Rachmaninoff Prelude in G, Op. 23 no. 5. It sounds so light and carefree when others play it, but I can't make it sound that way, and then I get angry with it and then obviously it gets worse. So now I dread having to work on the piece because I don't want to get frustrated... Which leads to the piece not getting better... Arghhh! (haven't had an "Arghhh" moment for a while here smile )

#2138183 - 08/24/13 09:49 AM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: Orange Soda King]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Look at the next sonata and see that he was good at architecture! smile I really love 959 too...

Many people argue the point, even with the last sonata.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA

#2138202 - 08/24/13 10:34 AM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: Kuanpiano]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Laguna, I've actually heard people argue about him dragging too long, but the best performances of Schubert captivate me every time!

And AZNpiano, I'm afraid so. I don't have enough experience playing his music. After I give a recital this semester, I will play a Prelude and Fugue. smile

#2138219 - 08/24/13 11:13 AM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: Orange Soda King]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi OSK,

Laguna, I've actually heard people argue about him dragging too long, but the best performances of Schubert captivate me every time!

And AZNpiano, I'm afraid so. I don't have enough experience playing his music. After I give a recital this semester, I will play a Prelude and Fugue. smile

That's very true, but I think that's more about the strength of the artistic vision of the performer than it is about the work. I heard Radu Lupu, who is made for this kind of rep, play the last Schubert is if it were one long, uninterrupted sigh. A truly astounding performance. In lesser hands, the whole thing can fall very flat. Whereas if you play the Apassionata and just hit all the right notes pretty much, you'll wow the audience every time because the piece just sells itself.

BTW, good luck with the Bach!

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA

#2138231 - 08/24/13 11:41 AM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: Orange Soda King]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
I don't believe OSK is saying he doesn't like Bach. He's saying it can be tedious to learn and I, a great lover of Bach, agree. There is no other composer who forces me to learn so slowly, note by note, measure by measure. In Classical and Romantic music, the notes often fall easily under the fingers as you follow the melodic line. Finding the best fingering for Bach can take a long time. In Bach, you find yourself doing unexpected acrobatics to make the measures, continuity and voices work. Then, bringing out the voices can take painstaking work. I adore Bach but his works take me longer to learn than any other composer. It is satisfying work but, drilling it into my fingers can be tedious at times.

Deborah

#2138238 - 08/24/13 11:51 AM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: gooddog]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: gooddog
I adore Bach but his works take me longer to learn than any other composer. It is satisfying work but, drilling it into my fingers can be tedious at times.

I hear that! It does get better over time though. It used to take me as long as a year to learn a fugue. Now it sometimes takes me only 6 months....sometimes...

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA

#2138248 - 08/24/13 12:12 PM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: Kuanpiano]
Gerard12 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina
I'm enthusiastic about many works written in the 20th/21st centuries, but - due to learning curves - I've given up on a couple: The Elliott Carter Sonata and Charles Ives's 3-page Sonata.

I used to know the 3rd of Schoenberg's Drie Klavierstucke , op. 11. That was an extremely tough one to learn and I like to think that I came close to mastering it. I left it alone for a couple of years and when I re-opened the score I could not remember one darn note of it.....

I pay lip service to the notion of picking up these pieces again, it's most likely an economical reason that's keeping me away.

D.959 is one of my favorite works and learning the last movement took a bit of patience for me, too.

Edited by Gerard12 (08/24/13 03:32 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#2138274 - 08/24/13 12:57 PM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: Kuanpiano]
NeilOS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
Are there any pieces that you really wanted to learn, and loved to listen to, but when you started learning them it was a frustrating, tedious experience?

I'm currently working on Chopin's third sonata...and wow. I don't know whether it's the awkward passagework, or the elusive musical moments, but it's just awful to work on. There are some days when I feel like it's the greatest piece in the world, and then sometimes I wonder why I'm even working on it.

Another piece which was pretty bad was Debussy's "Pagodes" from his Estampes.

An example of a professional pianist going through the same dilemma...Richter really liked Prokofiev's 2nd sonata, but upon learning it, it "gave him no pleasure" and ceased to be one of his favourite works.

Any similar experiences?

Normally it's the working out that I enjoy the most—finding solutions to technical and musical problems. But for me, the Beethoven Op 106 fugue nearly did me in; I had to postpone my senior recital because it refused to stick. I was, of course, too young for it. Finally got it learned and Performed it 3 times, then put it away forever.

#2138276 - 08/24/13 01:00 PM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: Kuanpiano]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Prokofiev 2nd concerto..... I really want to play it, but damn..

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2138297 - 08/24/13 01:06 PM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: Kuanpiano]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Chopin last scherzo. Everything was okay except for those descending staccato chords. I just could not get them consistent. Especially the very last one all the way down the keyboard... IMPOSSIBLE!

#2138298 - 08/24/13 01:06 PM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: NeilOS]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Neil, I bet you play the heck out of that piece regardless of your misgivings.

My favorite parts of learning anything are usually the beginning, when you are working things out, free to imagine how it might sound, and all the possibilities, and the end, where you can make it sound any way you want most of the time. The middle is usually slave labor, albeit often pleasant.

I have a very good friend who is a very fine singer and had a big career. She actually made herself learn the soprano lead from Wozzek. She said learning it nearly killed her, but she did it very well and then she was engaged to sing over 50 times because hardly anybody else could.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA

#2138304 - 08/24/13 01:14 PM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: laguna_greg]
NeilOS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi, Greg

I hear you re Schubert and larger forms. But why bother with Islamey?

I had some rude thoughts regarding Scriabin the other day, as I was starting on Op. 42, No. 5, C# Minor—key of D# at one point, for pity sake. Gave me a headache just trying to figure out what notes he meant, what with the long measures and double-sharp accidentals—and those middle of the staff ledger lines that all seem to run together!

Re Schubert, maybe that's what Rubinstein meant when he said that S. was too "personal" to play in public. I heard him play a stunning B-flat sonata, though, at Carnegie, which was about as public as you could get in those days.

We should compare notes about our vintage M&Hs. Mine's a BB from 1926, big sister to yours.

#2138309 - 08/24/13 01:20 PM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: NeilOS]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

niel,

I don't know, I think we should meet for diner next time I come down to LA.

Islamey- exactly. Why bother?

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA

#2138312 - 08/24/13 01:27 PM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: laguna_greg]
NeilOS Offline
500 Post Club Member

niel,

I don't know, I think we should meet for diner next time I come down to LA.

Islamey- exactly. Why bother?

Absolutely, dinner it is. Let me know when you're here. I'm near Fairfax and 3rd (Park La Brea).

#2138333 - 08/24/13 02:19 PM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: Kuanpiano]
wower Offline

Loc: Calgary
I think Kuanpiano raises a super interesting question. I read the thread last night and didn't reply but was thinking about it on my run this morning so read through it again and the new posts. It's so interesting where people lay along the "tedious" continuum. Bach for me just makes sense. The example I would offer would be O'Riley's Radiohead Transcriptions which doesn't seem to offer any short cuts to get it under the fingers. I think one element is that Bach can still sound musical at slower speeds whereas the transcriptions just kind of unravel at anything less than performance tempo.

I think sometimes we are enamoured with our North American culture which encourages the view only towering genius dare attempt such feats. Seymour Bernstein in his book has a section on this. What I took away is that this condition is extremely wide spread and normal (though I would be very interested in what other piano teachers on PW have to say about this since their view is more broad). I attack the problem two ways; one as stated above, I view it as normal and just try to practice intelligently and keep it musical so it keeps me at piano and motivated. Secondly, I try to remember the focus is on the performance. One day, one time, one chance, to get it right. There are no marks for how one gets there. Bernstein lists other professional musicians who struggled with learning new pieces and - this made me think - they still get paid. (Realistically there is the complicating demand of efficiency for the student or professional which I have ignored for the sake of length.)

#2138342 - 08/24/13 02:45 PM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: Kuanpiano]
Brendan Online   content

Loc: McAllen, TX
Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano

Ligeti's Études. I've given up in those more times than I care to remember. They're cool to listen to, but a total pain to learn (and, ultimately, not worth the squeeze, IMO). At one point, I was hoping that one measure a day was sufficient progress on Autumn in Warsaw, but even that was impossible!

#2138366 - 08/24/13 03:24 PM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: AZNpiano]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AZNpiano

Seriously?

Is it just learning the notes, or is it connecting with the music too? Since you love choral music so much, it might be useful and entertaining to imagine the fugue as sung quartet (or trio for a 3-voice fugue). Add words if you wish, and characters to each of the quartet members. I did this for the last fugue I worked on, and it greatly helped with shaping all the lines, and made it fun listening to their arguments.

#2138388 - 08/24/13 04:11 PM Re: Really Tedious Learns [Re: Arghhh]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It's whatever part you find tedious in learning a piece, and whichever piece you find tedious to learn, Arrgh.

BTW, I just love your name. Now, back to cleaning my gutters...

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
VI Labs True Keys: From ilok to Hard Drive Activation
by imyself
09/18/14 10:46 AM
A REALLY Indirect Blow Action
by Steve Cohen
09/18/14 09:01 AM
Bone chilling ending to pieces
by lacrymosa85
09/18/14 08:44 AM
help with finger numbers in this piece...
by PianoKimmy
09/18/14 05:35 AM
Most Difficult?
by SiFi
09/18/14 01:21 AM
Who's Online
143 registered (ajames, 3mb3r4, 3times2, accordeur, 38 invisible), 1444 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157601 Topics
2314967 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission