Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
88 registered (Anne'sson, Anita Potter, accordeur, Almaviva, anotherscott, 36251, 28 invisible), 1399 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2139088 - 08/26/13 06:48 AM Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it?
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Here is something I just stumbled across:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77oauAJa29w

Any thoughts on this?

Extra note:

At the very end of the video you will see this:

"Finis an Underzog production"

"G-d bless our troops"

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2139112 - 08/26/13 08:49 AM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: pv88]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
That was awful

#2139150 - 08/26/13 10:47 AM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: pv88]
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
How about his interpretation of Clair de Lune? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YotZsRbfdWU

#2139155 - 08/26/13 10:58 AM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: pv88]
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: pv88

Any thoughts on this?

[...]

Any thoughts, you ask? Yes. What's the point of posting this? If we posted every bad performance we looked for and came across, there would be no room for anything else on Piano World.

#2139177 - 08/26/13 11:50 AM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: pv88]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
[...]

Any thoughts on this?

[...]

"G-d bless our troops"

[...]

Well, I sense anger.

If you look at some of underzog's other videos, and also notice the date that this video was uploaded, you might get the idea that there is a political statement being made here.

My thought is: it isn't just another bad YouTube performance. OTOH, apart from an expression of anger with, possibly, an intent to demoralize, it's not all that effective. I'd be surprised if most people would stay with it until the end to catch the dig.

Tokyo Rose? Hanoi Hannah? Others?

What are your thoughts, pv88? What prompted you to post this as you did?

--Andy

Edited by Cinnamonbear (08/26/13 11:53 AM)

#2139178 - 08/26/13 11:58 AM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: pv88]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
Besides that I agree with what everyone else said.....

I thought I'd skim through it (that's all I could bear, and just barely) to see if there's any resemblance to the Horowitz -- and there is (barely). Some of the figures and musical gestures suggest that there's a familiarity with the Horowitz and some takeoff from it going on. But as for 99% of what he's doing, I have no idea.

#2139190 - 08/26/13 12:14 PM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: pv88]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Umm, is this guy serious? Looks like he's literally smacking the keys with an open hand.

#2139195 - 08/26/13 12:31 PM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: pv88]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Whether it was intended in all serious, in jest, or in politics, it was poorly done. Based on other videos in his portfolio, I have to believe it was performed in earnest, but like others have said, I don't see the point in commenting negatively on performances for the sake of commenting negatively. I'd like to take some time to sit down with the guy and honestly talk about the piano, but to brazenly attack a performance is, in my opinion, poor taste. So, I'm not sure what we're supposed to be commenting on, really...

#2139199 - 08/26/13 12:39 PM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: Derulux]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Derulux
....I'd like to take some time to sit down with the guy and honestly talk....

Really??
I don't think I would, and I suspect you wouldn't care for it too much either.

#2139203 - 08/26/13 12:49 PM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: pv88]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
I think that pv88 is simply too shocked that something like this exist! guess what: It does.

Now we all need to get over this and find something useful to do with our time!

#2139222 - 08/26/13 01:33 PM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: Mark_C]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Originally Posted By: Derulux
....I'd like to take some time to sit down with the guy and honestly talk....

Really??
I don't think I would, and I suspect you wouldn't care for it too much either.

Probably depends on how willing the guy was to openly and honestly discuss the topic... if he thinks he's great, then you're right; probably not. smile

#2139237 - 08/26/13 02:18 PM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: pv88]
Michael Sayers Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms lšn, Sverige
It reminds me of this video titled "My incredible playing of Liszt legend no. 2":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlMux_TVKdw

M.

#2139238 - 08/26/13 02:24 PM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: pv88]
Michael Sayers Offline
1000 Post Club Member

He did this Chopin one as well!

The description reads "This is my first recording of my performance on YouTube, many more great performances to come from such composers as Mendelssohns, Schumann, Liszt, Grieg, Rachmaninov etc."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f_BBRQehGE

M.

#2139240 - 08/26/13 02:34 PM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: Michael Sayers]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Michael Sayers
He did this Chopin one as well!

The description reads "This is my first recording of my performance on YouTube, many more great performances to come from such composers as Mendelssohns, Schumann, Liszt, Grieg, Rachmaninov etc."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f_BBRQehGE

M.

Chopin is turning in his grave. This is an insult to the composer and the work. He should be shot.

well, maybe that's a bit harsh. grin Just a bit though.

Polyphonist

#2139251 - 08/26/13 02:46 PM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
He should be shot.

I would erase that comment.

#2139268 - 08/26/13 03:15 PM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: JoelW
He should be shot.

I agree, but I think it's almost closer than wanting to talk to him. ha

P.S. I think we can safely assume Poly wasn't being literal. smile

#2139274 - 08/26/13 03:22 PM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: pv88]
BruceD Online   content

Loc: Victoria, BC
Why do we need this "trash" here?

#2139281 - 08/26/13 03:31 PM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: Mark_C]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

He should be shot.

But what matters is what the NSA thinks. Similar comments under similar circumstances have had people charged with "making terroristic threats" and sent to prison. Obviously the chances of Poly's comment being seen by anyone important and then having it deemed terroristic is slim to nothing, but I don't take my chances with that kind of thing.

#2139301 - 08/26/13 04:15 PM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
He should be shot.

But what matters is what the NSA thinks. Similar comments under similar circumstances have had people charged with "making terroristic threats" and sent to prison. Obviously the chances of Poly's comment being seen by anyone important and then having it deemed terroristic is slim to nothing, but I don't take my chances with that kind of thing.

Well, I can't really erase it now that it's been quoted so many times, can I?

Polyphonist

#2139321 - 08/26/13 05:08 PM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: Polyphonist]
Michael Sayers Offline
1000 Post Club Member

He should be shot.

Well, I can't really erase it now that it's been quoted so many times, can I?

I would guess from the context that it means "shot on film" . . . still a bit nebulous, and yet I can't think of any verbs "shot" could plausibly have been a mistyping of . . . if anything comes of it Polyphonist you can counter with psychological damage caused by having heard the particular Chopin recording, and claim insanity defence if applicable, et c.

M.

#2139326 - 08/26/13 05:22 PM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: pv88]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Extra note:

Everyone needs to listen carefully to the playing itself as you will see that he follows the original transcription throughout this performance and it is not all just a complete mess of notes. The pianist has done this deliberately from what I can hear and this leaves us with:

1) Was he poking fun at the music just like "BachMach2?"

2) Was he just angry at something else in life as we can see that he gives reference (with the final info at the end) to being an ex-veteran, and, may have a disability, or, handicap?

I know of one other pianist, Joe Townley, who has posted videos of himself playing even though he had serious physical issues with his hands.

3) He appears to be intent upon putting dissonance into the music.

Here are other pieces that are posted in the user's videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/underzog/videos

[Scroll down to see all of the videos, above.]

One in particular seems to be evident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvvVLTzeIQg

And, here's the family video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EApd0R8J1Ls

It speaks for itself.

#2139356 - 08/26/13 06:35 PM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: pv88]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Extra note:

Everyone needs to listen carefully to the playing itself as you will see that he follows the original transcription throughout this performance and it is not all just a complete mess of notes.

I don't think so. I think it would be best to not listen to another note. I heard what he did the first time.

#2139428 - 08/26/13 10:27 PM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: Mark_C]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

[...] I thought I'd skim through it (that's all I could bear, and just barely) to see if there's any resemblance to the Horowitz -- and there is (barely). [...]

I am using my human prerogative to change my answer, and agree with Mark. Only, I didn't skim. I studied and compared. And so, I would say, there is MORE than a bare resemblance to Horowitz in underzog's "performance." I think this is high comedy, of the kind that takes specific knowledge to enjoy. I still sense anger (and a lot of it), but I also sense that he is making fun of Horowitz, big time. I mean, listen to the first few lines of this, below-- (chord at 0:05!?! and following crazy ) :

I also surmise there is a layer of cultural humor that escapes me, being a Gentile. Not that I don't *want* to understand--as I am an appreciator of stories such as "The Feather Merchants and other tales from the fools of Chelm"...

grin

So, no. It's not trash. It's parody.

Really.

It is.

And maybe even satire, if you add the anger element to it.

Edited by Cinnamonbear (08/26/13 11:04 PM)

#2139440 - 08/26/13 11:04 PM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: pv88]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Perhaps on a more positive note here is a very solid performance of the Horowitz Stars & Stripes by pianist Florian Wolf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTN4NkR5Pik

And, here is the pianist's link to a free score:

http://www.thepianopage.com/scores/various/Stars%20and%20Stripes.pdf

#2139448 - 08/26/13 11:24 PM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: pv88]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Any thoughts on this?

A faithful rendition of the little known arrangement of "Stars and Stripes" by Charles Ives.

#2139451 - 08/26/13 11:30 PM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: pv88]
Mark_C Offline

Perhaps on a more positive note here is a very solid performance....

I was interested to check it out because I've loved the arrangement for decades, long before I imagined there'd be a chance to get hold of attempted versions of the score, and when I realized it I immediately went and learned it. So let's see....

I agree that it's "solid," but not particularly great -- too "dainty," and with some phrasings that are idiosyncratic and debatable (if not "wrong"), plus quite a few places where the tempo is suddenly compromised for no reason except that the passage is a little harder.

But I'll say this: he plays it 100% cleanly, which is more than I ever did. grin

#2139452 - 08/26/13 11:34 PM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: Mark_C]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

[...] But I'll say this: he plays it 100% cleanly, which is more than I ever did. grin

Or, more than Horowitz ever did, either, apparently. crazy

#2139454 - 08/26/13 11:47 PM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
Or, more than Horowitz ever did, either, apparently. crazy

Well yeah -- I almost said that too, but didn't want to make it sound like I think him and me play alike. ha

Please nobody tell me about grammar. grin

#2139462 - 08/27/13 12:27 AM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: pv88]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Here's an impressive display by the British pianist, Freddy Kempf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF0o08YXu4o

Looks like he attempts a little too much speed in the the 16th-note passages and therefore misses a few notes throughout although he is the only one I have heard play this with a fair amount of risk and the crashing basses in the opening section are executed with flair.

No one is going match Horowitz for those crashing basses as this is partly due to the older recording equipment which couldn't handle the full range of sound like our recordings do, today.

My favorite example of the legendary sonorities is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N04Y_9bee4

Note the "whew" at the end as he walks off stage!

#2139526 - 08/27/13 04:14 AM Re: Horowitz: The Stars & Stripes Forever - or, is it? [Re: pv88]
Michael Sayers Offline
1000 Post Club Member

No one is going match Horowitz for those crashing basses as this is partly due to the older recording equipment which couldn't handle the full range of sound like our recordings do, today.

Did you read this somewhere or is it your own conclusion? I was with the impression that Horowitz's tone was "real", i.e. not an artifact of recording processes!

M.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
21 minutes 3 seconds ago
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
Today at 09:19 PM
Rzewski: De Profundis
by pianoloverus
Today at 09:17 PM
Guide to skills level
by Gemgem
Today at 08:55 PM
piano with willie
by TonyB
Today at 08:25 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160028 Topics
2349990 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission