Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2144444 - 09/05/13 03:25 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
peekay Offline

Awesome Diana!! Lovely piano!!

I've heard that one should wait a few days (weeks?) after delivery before the first tuning, to allow enough time for the piano to settle in its new environment. Not sure if it's true or not!!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2144449 - 09/05/13 03:50 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
They told me it might need tuning after I turn up the heating... we'll see!
It should be home in a week or two...

#2144454 - 09/05/13 04:26 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
sinophilia Offline

Did I mention that I'm over the moon? Awww... feeling so emotional right now. I think I'll spend a whole day just staring at all the tiny parts inside the piano blush

#2144460 - 09/05/13 05:01 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: sinophilia
They told me it might need tuning after I turn up the heating... we'll see!
It should be home in a week or two...

That's probably because of the humidity. You know how dry it can get in deep cold.

Personally.... I'd probably get one of those damp chasers. Rather grudgingly.

Definitely humidifier and dehumidifier for extreme changes in humidity. I already have these and don't even have an acoustic. I use my humidifiers much in winter. My dehumidifier is my portable air conditioner...will work as a dehumidifier only. Haven't used it for that yet. Works great for air conditioning.
Have a Honeywell electronic temp humidity gauge. Also remote sensors. Can see how it is outside in comparison. Other rooms. It seems to work good.

EDIT: Congrats again. That is a really nice upright.

Edited by rnaple (09/05/13 05:03 AM)

#2144468 - 09/05/13 05:29 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
sinophilia Offline

Thanks! I'm quite the weather maniac, so I also have a few temp/humidity sensors around the house. Verona has pretty extreme weather, quite cold in winter and hot and humid in summer - that's why I don't stay there all year long. It's a shame I won't be able to drag the piano to the country every year grin A dehumidifier for the summer months will be useful, when the poor piano will be there all alone at over 30 °C.

#2144473 - 09/05/13 06:41 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: peekay]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yay!!!

Can you please please please re-record your recent Piano Bar submission? I bet it would really sparkle on the acoustic!

Originally Posted By: peekay
Awesome Diana!! Lovely piano!!

I've heard that one should wait a few days (weeks?) after delivery before the first tuning, to allow enough time for the piano to settle in its new environment. Not sure if it's true or not!!

Definitely true. Opinions will vary on timing but definitely weeks/months, not days. Around here, similar weather I think, the general practice is to have it done in spring and fall.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2144475 - 09/05/13 06:45 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
sinophilia Offline

Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH
Can you please please please re-record your recent Piano Bar submission? I bet it would really sparkle on the acoustic!

That's the first thing I played (badly) on that piano! I will certainly record it again as soon as I get used to it and I buy a recording device.

Oh, and the "sparkle" is exactly what is missing on the DP recording. No matter how much I tried to add later in GarageBand!

Edited by sinophilia (09/05/13 07:34 AM)

#2144498 - 09/05/13 08:46 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Wooohooo Diana, what a beauty! thumb

There's not much better than sitting down your own newly acquired acoustic piano and getting to know each other. How long do you have to wait?

Estonia L190 #7284

#2144499 - 09/05/13 08:48 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Congrats, Diana! I hope all goes well. I bet you can't wait for it to arrive! I would request that the tuner come after 2-3 weeks if you can manage that. It will make the tuning much more worthwhile. Also, I would look into getting the Dammp-Chaser installed. With extreme weather it will help stabilize the piano much more accurately than in-room humidifiers can.

Yamahas are great pianos and I know you will improve as a pianist by playing on this. Can't wait to see pics and hear you play it laugh
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2144510 - 09/05/13 09:10 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: JimF]
sinophilia Offline

Originally Posted By: JimF
How long do you have to wait?

The piano mover should call me by Monday to arrange the delivery... not long they said! But I'll be away for a few days at the end of next week, so it might have to wait.

#2144511 - 09/05/13 09:15 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: Morodiene]
sinophilia Offline

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Yamahas are great pianos and I know you will improve as a pianist by playing on this. Can't wait to see pics and hear you play it laugh

I really need to get serious about this now! Maybe even get a teacher wink

#2144693 - 09/05/13 03:56 PM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
Anne H Offline

Yay, I'm so happy for you! It looks lovely. I love my slightly beat up upright, so I suspect you'll love yours.
Bach Inventions
Einaudi - Berlin Song, Reverie

#2144695 - 09/05/13 04:02 PM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
Playagain Offline

It is beautiful! Congratulations!!!

#2145674 - 09/07/13 10:10 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Very lovely Diana, you'll no doubt fall in love with piano all over again. It looks a lot like mine which is U1 in straight grain mahogany...very warm. You'll adjust quite soon to the different touch and tone. I don't have an online photo place or I would post a picture. I guess I could upload it to the PW "gallery" and link one. Hmmmm? At any rate congrats on your new piano. Tell us how that trip up the stairs goes too. grin

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2145675 - 09/07/13 10:17 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ragdoll... I'm not sure what the gallery is, but you can upload here: http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/fileuploader2.html

When you upload, you'll get an error msg that says the page couldn't be found. You can ignore that though... your file does upload, and you'll get an email very shortly with the URL. Other than the confusing error page, it works very well and only takes a minute.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2145685 - 09/07/13 10:36 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
Ragdoll... I'm not sure what the gallery is, but you can upload here: http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/fileuploader2.html

aTallGuyNH The Gallery is a sub-forum under "Fun Stuff" here. I will have to take a better picture as the ones I have are awful...bad lighting, bad angles, piles of music everywhere and cell phone pictures anyways hahaha. I'll get one or two up soon though. Thanks for the 411

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2145703 - 09/07/13 11:30 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
sinophilia Offline

Thanks! I'm trying to be patient, since I doubt it will be home before the 18th...

#2145816 - 09/07/13 02:17 PM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
peekay Offline

So we can expect a nice video recording on the 19th, right???!! laugh

#2145818 - 09/07/13 02:23 PM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: peekay]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Congratulations!

#2148021 - 09/11/13 03:37 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [BOUGHT!] [Re: sinophilia]
sinophilia Offline

The piano will be here tomorrow! Ooooh I have to move the furniture in my living room! shocked

#2148081 - 09/11/13 08:15 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [BOUGHT!] [Re: sinophilia]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
The piano will be here tomorrow! Ooooh I have to move the furniture in my living room! shocked

The piano store is looking for me...
I wait each day for delivery till three...
Oh Lord! Won't ya buy me a reconditioned yamaha upright... smile

#2148179 - 09/11/13 12:01 PM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [BOUGHT!] [Re: sinophilia]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California

Would you play us a song on your new piano? smile

#2148209 - 09/11/13 12:36 PM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [BOUGHT!] [Re: 4evrBeginR]
sinophilia Offline

Originally Posted By: 4evrBeginR

Would you play us a song on your new piano? smile

You're eager to hear it!

So am I wink

#2148979 - 09/12/13 06:37 PM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [BOUGHT!] [Re: sinophilia]
peekay Offline

Hi sinophilia, I hope you got your new piano!!!

I got mine delivered yesterday! I was really excited! Then I start playing it, and it sounded horrible! Oh, no! Everything I played was muddy, muted... dead, really, no life to the sound!

I double checked the serial number to make sure they delivered the right piano. I thought I made a major mistake in buying this piano (I didn't have the piano inspected.) I was already very tired so I went to bed.

Then this morning, I moved the piano a few inches to change the acoustics, and just like that, it sounded great!! I couldn't believe the difference! Big sigh of relief, let me tell you!

Anyway, I hope you're enjoying your new piano, without any drama like mine!!

#2149151 - 09/13/13 01:01 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [BOUGHT!] [Re: sinophilia]
sinophilia Offline

Hi peekay! Luckily my piano sounds quite good in its new house. The room is not too small and not too big, with a high ceiling. The bass gets deeper and nicer if I open the lid, but then the volume is a bit too much. It leans against an internal bearing wall, we will certainly get some insulating panels to put behind it.

The only "problem" is that the technician who brought it regulated the practice pedal in such a way that the piano almost doesn't make any sound at all when it's pressed. But it looked like an easy thing to adjust. He discouraged me from using it anyway...

I won't touch my piano for a week now - a little vacation smile Enjoy yours!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
115 registered (Alpiano, *windowlicker*, Al LaPorte, aesop, 36251, 35 invisible), 1430 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75920 Members
42 Forums
156884 Topics
2305170 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CA95 and HP-508
by Alpiano
5 minutes 19 seconds ago
Help - kawai rx2-c conservatory limited edition
by KungPaoPanda
59 minutes 42 seconds ago
What kind of fingering should I be using for these phrases?
by Jormungandr
Today at 03:04 AM
Mason & Hamlin BB Long distance purchase a few questions
by bigun
Today at 02:26 AM
MY NEW PIANO
by Jvmvidela
Today at 02:14 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission