Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
97 registered (accordeur, angga888, antony, ando, anotherscott, 25 invisible), 1216 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2139693 - 08/27/13 02:56 PM Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright?
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Sorry, I'm not posting this in the Piano Forum because 1) I want your advice, and 2) they seem to be discussing expensive stuff over there wink

I've been to two piano stores today, both quite far away from home. The second one isn't even worth mentioning! All pianos, from the 900 euro English vintage uprights to the brand new Yamaha's and Petrof's, were horribly out of tune, and the guy there was the most uncommunicative salesman I've ever met.

The first place was the opposite. Quite small with maybe twenty uprights, but all perfectly tuned and regulated, and the salesman was great. He played for me the most amazing jazz licks, so that the resonance and vibrations almost brought tears to my eyes! (Remember, I am not used to acoustic pianos!)

Anyway. My idea was to check a few very cheap old pianos and see if I could bring one home. And I was adamant that it had it to be European and never ever Japanese! Now I'm thinking of buying a reconditioned Yamaha W110BW.

There's not much information around about this model. From what I could gather, it is basically a U1, but with thicker wood (providing a slightly warmer tone) and a nicer finish. This one has a peculiar satin walnut case and it was made in 1984. It looks brand new inside and outside and costs about 3,000 euro. It comes with a buy back option: if I don't want it anymore, the store will take it back in 1 year at 10% less, than in 2 years at 20% less and so on.

I'm very tempted. I still don't know if the stairs to my apartment are large enough, but I'll figure that out. The only problem about this piano is that it sounds too good for me! The volume is incredible, so it's really intimidating for me, used as I am to headphones or half-volume on my DP. It has a practice pedal though.

My other option is to rent an upright with silent system from a local store...

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2139709 - 08/27/13 03:42 PM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
I had a U1 of that vintage for about 3 years. It was reconditioned. I loved it - never had any problems with it. Does it come with a warranty? I had a 10 year warranty and I could get the purchase price back if I upgraded to a different piano from the same dealer. I didn't do that, but I did sell it back to him later when I got my Bechstein.

If you are concerned about it, have an independent technician check it out - it will cost something, but can give you peace of mind.

Sam

#2139715 - 08/27/13 04:03 PM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Yamahas are good, but not all reconditioned pianos are the same quality of reconditioning. Maybe do some research on the store themselves, see if there are reviews online of their products. Also check out their warranty and see what it includes and what it doesn't include.

If these things check out alright, then I would go for it. I'm assuming that you've been able to play the actual instrument you're looking to get, and it's not an online purchase? It's a little safer that way.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2139729 - 08/27/13 04:39 PM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
sinophilia Offline

All reconditioned Yamaha's from this shop have a 5-year warranty - not too bad. I think they are reconditioned in Japan and shipped back to Italy (sounds weird though... I should check this). This shop sells new U1's for about 7,000 euro.

And yes I've been to the actual shop and played the piano myself. It was the first time I played an acoustic, so I must say I was disoriented. The keys felt a bit heavy and I would certainly need some time to get used to it. I like the fact that this particular piano is different from all the others - nothing against polished black pianos, but they really look factory-made, all exactly the same.

To be honest, I'm not concerned about the money - it is a small amount after all. But I don't want trouble. The salesman was very nice but maybe a bit too easy-going. For instance, he said that these pianos are very stable and only need tuning every 1.5-2 years. Can this be true?

#2139783 - 08/27/13 06:13 PM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I think the 5 year warranty & the buy-back option sound like a good deal, don't know about the price.

I have a 1984 U-1 that I've had since I started playing 5 years ago & I've been quite happy with it. I stored it for a friend for a year, then bought it from her for $2000CDN. I think she'd had it about 10 years before I adopted it. I get it tuned usually about twice a year.

I've played a couple of pianos I like more - my teacher's old Gourlay, and another antique at my cousin's place - but I've played some I like a lot less, too. I also have a digital (Yamaha P-155), & there's definitely a difference in touch, but I use both about equally & the difference isn't a problem - they're just different.

#2139788 - 08/27/13 06:28 PM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Hiya Sino . . .years ago, before digitals were born, you bought a second hand (not necessarily preloved) piano from local newspaper ads. A German overstrung with a modern case was what I got for about £70. It played well; held it`s tune and I sold it on for the same virtually. A piano left to languish in a working men`s club (the organ was king) was dragged out when King was sick, after several years, and was perfectly in tune. It was a British mini-upright, and it sounded fabulous; was light as a feather to shift I was playing it and was amazed.

There are bargains to be had for peanuts. Steer clear of named pianos. They`re more trouble and expense than they`re worth; it`s enormous fun seeking out a good sounding usable piano that`ll give you mucho fun. . . when you hear it, you`ll know it!

""

#2139831 - 08/27/13 07:55 PM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
If you really like it. I'd buy it.

Let the piano movers worry about the stairs. smile

Only thing I'd worry about is the neighbors complaining about it.

#2139859 - 08/27/13 09:06 PM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
Playagain Offline

HI, Sinophilia,
If I were buying a used piano, I would also post the question on the Piano Forum because there are a lot of very knowledgeable people there. They may be familiar with that Yamaha model. They answer questions about all pianos. I think you can get the serial number, too, and find out if the year is correct. They can tell you more.

It sounds nice. It's always a good idea to have a piano tech look at it, and also find out exactly what the warranty covers.

I personally would have my piano tuned at least once a year, so I'm surprised a salesman would say that. I have a Yamaha T118, which is below in quality to the U1. Humidity changes throughout the seasons, even with a humidifier, really can affect any piano.

Good luck!

#2139872 - 08/27/13 09:36 PM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
sinophilia, I have read your post, here:

Sorry, I'm not posting this in the Piano Forum because 1) I want your advice, and 2) they seem to be discussing expensive stuff over there wink

I've been to two piano stores today, both quite far away from home. The second one isn't even worth mentioning! All pianos, from the 900 euro English vintage uprights to the brand new Yamaha's and Petrof's, were horribly out of tune, and the guy there was the most uncommunicative salesman I've ever met.

The first place was the opposite. Quite small with maybe twenty uprights, but all perfectly tuned and regulated, and the salesman was great. He played for me the most amazing jazz licks, so that the resonance and vibrations almost brought tears to my eyes! (Remember, I am not used to acoustic pianos!)

Anyway. My idea was to check a few very cheap old pianos and see if I could bring one home. And I was adamant that it had it to be European and never ever Japanese! Now I'm thinking of buying a reconditioned Yamaha W110BW.

There's not much information around about this model. From what I could gather, it is basically a U1, but with thicker wood (providing a slightly warmer tone) and a nicer finish. This one has a peculiar satin walnut case and it was made in 1984. It looks brand new inside and outside and costs about 3,000 euro. It comes with a buy back option: if I don't want it anymore, the store will take it back in 1 year at 10% less, than in 2 years at 20% less and so on.

I'm very tempted. I still don't know if the stairs to my apartment are large enough, but I'll figure that out. The only problem about this piano is that it sounds too good for me! The volume is incredible, so it's really intimidating for me, used as I am to headphones or half-volume on my DP. It has a practice pedal though.

My other option is to rent an upright with silent system from a local store...

as I understand your post, sinophilia, you are looking to buy a piano.

As a beginner piano player, I can tell you what I did.

I started playing the piano on a clavanova learning the notes and playing beginner pieces. I knew that a digital piano is awesome, but it was not an acoustic piano. So I went on the internet and found a web site in Austrailia where the guy said that you should go to a piano store and tell them that you are looking for about a 10 year old piano that has good action but maybe has a low or a high end that is weaker in sound because it was an older piano but a very good piano for a person to learn on. I used to play in a beginner concert band and band instruments unlike pianos have what is called a student model that is very well made, great to play, bur are not - obviously - as good as a professional instrument costing 2, 3, or 4 times as much money. But in the piano world as such there are no student pianos - So I told the salesman in a well known music store that I bought stuff in over the years and trusted over the years. The sales person said we don't have anything that often that comes to the store so you should go to craiglist (a internet thing for selling stuff). I said to this salesman, no, I wouldn't think of doing that. I want you to earn your commission and I want to buy the piano that you can find for me. I am not going to any other store because I want you to call me when you have a piano for me.

After a month I went back to the store and asked for the sales person but the sales person was gone. No surprise! So I told the new sales person what I told the other sales person and the sales person said I know of a person who is selling their piano, it is a one person owned piano in excellent condition. In short, it was just what I was looking for and bought it. Since it was someone that the sales person knew of because they sold them a newer piano, I gave the sales person commission because I was grateful that the sales person found this piano for me.

When I was looking for a house/shack, I looked in the paper and after a year, I found a cheap house at a good price. So what I am saying is that it takes time and you have to sure you can trust the people/business.

In your case if you think a piano is okay and the price is okay then you should consider contacting a teacher or a school or someone you know that may know someone to help you determine whether the business or the piano, is something you should or should not consider buying.

Don't rush. Take your time and go to a university music department and see if you can get some direction, or go to churches that have pianos or organs and they might know of honest people who could help you find a piano.

cheers, and good luck. But don't rush and be careful.

Edited by Michael_99 (08/27/13 09:41 PM)

#2139958 - 08/28/13 01:08 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
sinophilia Offline

Thank you for your insight!

I'd really love to go hunting for a good old piano, but do I have the required patience? There was a nice English one yesterday, good-looking with ivory keytops, but the action was clunky. I'm not sure there are as many decent pianos here in Italy as there may be in the UK or elsewhere. A friend of mine has a beautiful Petrof - her father owns a real estate business and found it in some house I think. She wanted to start lessons this year, but it turns out the piano needs new strings (and who knows what else). I'm not looking for that kind of things, not now at least.

The salesman's reasoning was, that a reconditioned piano is not really a used piano, but almost exactly like a new one, that you get for less than half the price. From what I saw and heard, he may be right. But I tend to trust people a bit too much.

The "problem" with this piano is that it's not like all the others. I'm sure one can get even better deals on a U1, my local dealer may even have one. But it won't be that one, the nice walnut thingy. I will seek more information on that model.

#2139993 - 08/28/13 02:24 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: rnaple]
sinophilia Offline

Originally Posted By: rnaple
Only thing I'd worry about is the neighbors complaining about it.

That worries me a lot! By now, the old ladies told me they are happy to hear me playing (poor women!), but they only heard the DP, and not too often. The acoustic will sound better but much louder! Still, I would keep my DP and probably use it in the first phases of learning a piece, or at night.

#2140033 - 08/28/13 04:07 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
leel Offline

Loc: Lacey WA
I am also a new player, and when I started I rented a piano for a few months. Then I went to Craigslist & bought a used piano. After a year & a half, I wanted something better & haunted Craigslist again. My tech suggested a Yamaha U1, but none showed up at a reasonable distance or price. I looked at a couple others, but my tech said they'd need a lot of work i.e. MONEY. I then found a Yamaha P2, made in the early 80s, in a satin mahogany (I also hate those shiny black jobs) whose case was in perfect condition. My tech said it was a GREAT piano and didn't need a thing. A terrific find, but only after several months of daily looking. Who knows; Imay someday want that grand piano! laugh

#2140035 - 08/28/13 04:15 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
sinophilia Offline

Ah, the grand piano... well yes of course, in due time! wink

Isn't it lovely? grin

#2140129 - 08/28/13 09:25 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
Morodiene Offline

It is beautiful, sinophilia. Why not hire a piano technician (not one affiliated with that dealer) and have him check out the piano? That way you can have peace of mind with your purchase. It's worth the extra money, and it *is* a used piano. This is not brand new from the factory, and so there may be corners cut in the reconditioning, things that weren't changed but will require it soon - it is a 30 year old instrument, and at that age, who knows what's going to go? A good technician will be able to spot these things and make recommendations for you. It also may give you some negotiating power if there are some maintenance things that the tech says are "needed" but you could actually make do for a while and get a lower price.

Even if it checks out all good to go and the tech thinks it's a good price for what you're getting, that's good to know as well.

#2140161 - 08/28/13 10:40 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
leel Offline

Loc: Lacey WA
It really is lovely. Looks quite similar to mine, with the exception of the lock. Ridiculous how infatuated we can get w/ a piano!

#2140499 - 08/29/13 12:54 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: leel]
sinophilia Offline

So true! Especially since it's a brand I hadn't even considered, for some kind of strange prejudice of my own. Actually the Yamaha bright tone seemed to suit jazz perfectly and was very clean and pleasant.

Getting a technician... that would be very wise, I wonder where I could find one. I will go to my local music store next week. They gave me an estimate for renting, and a U1/U3 would be 688 euro for the first year, so at least the salesman in Treviso didn't lie about the fact that it would cost me less to buy his piano and give it back after one year.

#2140517 - 08/29/13 01:44 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Really beautiful piano. If you like it enough to take it home, you should have a tech not working at the store check it out for you for your peace of mind.

There is really nothing quite like a real piano to the person at the keyboard. It is a quantum leap from playing any DP. Playing a live instrument has many more challenges compared to playing a digital one, but it is definitely more satisfying and much more inspiring.

#2140526 - 08/29/13 02:08 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
sinophilia Offline

Ouch, now I'm really confused, because I do like the piano, but I found out that this store is not an official Yamaha dealer and their pianos are probably not Yamaha certified reconditioned pianos. It is nonetheless a renowned store that has been on the market for over 50 years and provides instruments to music schools and concerts. Their pianos are not suspiciously cheap as some others are.

I'm a bit discouraged, since most so-called European instruments are actually made in China or Indonesia, and the only affordable new pianos are the smaller Kawai and Yamaha that look all the same. So I might take the plunge and get this one I like, and then if something's wrong I'll just give it back...

#2140531 - 08/29/13 02:21 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Since it is not new, whether or not the store is an authorized Yamaha dealer doesn't make any difference. Even if it were, the warranty you get is not coming from Yamaha but from the store. Yamaha NEVER warranty any used pianos no matter who is selling it regardless of whether it is certified or not. Yamaha only warranty brand new pianos. By the way, certified reconditioned is a meaningless thing. Just marketing. Best to have your own tech certify it for you.

#2140588 - 08/29/13 08:24 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: 4evrBeginR]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: 4evrBeginR
Since it is not new, whether or not the store is an authorized Yamaha dealer doesn't make any difference. Even if it were, the warranty you get is not coming from Yamaha but from the store. Yamaha NEVER warranty any used pianos no matter who is selling it regardless of whether it is certified or not. Yamaha only warranty brand new pianos. By the way, certified reconditioned is a meaningless thing. Just marketing. Best to have your own tech certify it for you.
Please do not skip this step. You obviously love this piano, and that is great. There are many great pianos out there, but it may take time to find just the right one. It is not something you should do without putting in your due diligence. Please!

I say this because I purchased a Yamaha that was reconditioned from a store that has been in business for a looong time as well. They sell many pianos on ebay, but I happened to live close to their store. I fell in love with the piano without having a good technician check it out. I loved it and wanted it no matter what.

It has lasted me many years now, but the reconditioning work that was done is awful. It has given me a lot of problems that other pianos have not, and now after 6 or so years, the sound board is severely cracked. Take the time to find a tech and have him look it over. You worked hard for your money, and you don't want to waste it on a piano that won't last.

#2140599 - 08/29/13 08:59 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: Morodiene]
sinophilia Offline

Oh no, that's terrible! One of the reason I would get a Yamaha is for reliability, I would never want to need serious fixing in just a few years. The salesman stressed exactly this fact, explaining that these pianos are used in music schools for eight hours a day and they don't want problems, not even a sticky key. He also boasted about the technician who preps their pianos, mentioning all the concerts and events he takes care of. I'll have to check whether I can trust him or not.

#2140641 - 08/29/13 10:53 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: sinophilia
Oh no, that's terrible! One of the reason I would get a Yamaha is for reliability, I would never want to need serious fixing in just a few years. The salesman stressed exactly this fact, explaining that these pianos are used in music schools for eight hours a day and they don't want problems, not even a sticky key. He also boasted about the technician who preps their pianos, mentioning all the concerts and events he takes care of. I'll have to check whether I can trust him or not.
Of course he says those things, and they may be true, but getting a second opinion before you take the plunge is always a good idea.

Once you take possession of the piano, even if the store has a guarantee or warranty, it will be a hassle to get it done. Chances are if there is a problem ,returning the piano will be hard to get accomplished. The store will not just come and get it, they will first want to convince you that there's nothing wrong with it, and if you keep griping they may even send someone out to fix it before carting it away. This, of course, is fine and understandable - it's not an easy thing to move a piano. So basically once it's in your home, it's a lot harder to get it out if there's an issue.

Because it is a used piano, you will want to know what maintenance will be coming due for it and when. A tech can tell you these things and also let you know the quality of reconditioning it's had. Most piano reconditioning is done in China and Indonesia, btw.

#2140645 - 08/29/13 11:09 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
sinophilia Offline

Exactly, I'm not looking for trouble! Although anything one buys may turn out to be a hassle, even a digital piano.

I read a few things about "reconditioned" pianos. It looks like they come straight from Japan where Yamaha has them refurbished by local subcontractors, apparently with original parts. Unless something goes wrong and the pianos takes a different way, to China, like you say, or somewhere else. There is an official dealer of Yamaha certified reconditioned pianos not far from here, the only one mentioned on the Yamaha Website - I might have a look at their store. Actually it turned out that this piano I like has a large sticker under the fallboard saying Yamaha certified etc., but it's clearly not a model that was ever marketed in Italy. I'll have to speak very frankly with them and see if I can figure out exactly how things are.

#2140822 - 08/29/13 03:21 PM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Originally Posted By: sinophilia

Sinophilia, do yourself a favor and heed Morodiene's advice to hire a store independent tech to check out any piano you buy.

Also, I would encourage you to do some searches on the piano forum threads for that model number. If you are serious about the piano you should get the serial number and post the info in the piano forum. Folks there are very helpful. [edit - ok, I see you have posted there already....hope you get some more responses]

Last, I would encourage you to take your time and not buy the first instrument that makes you smile a bit. The most important thing is how the piano sounds and feels under your fingers. If you have limited experience on accoustics you may want to play a wide variety of pianos so that you really have something to judge by. Even if out of your price range, it makes sense to try out new pianos, both uprights and grands, and even to try the very best of the European brands. I would pay no attention to salesmen or to listed prices. Everything is negotiable in the piano selling business, especially price.

The one thing I learned when I was searching for my piano was that when you find it you will know it is the one for you.

Edited by JimF (08/29/13 04:05 PM)

Estonia L190 #7284

#2141110 - 08/30/13 01:12 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
sinophilia Offline

Yes I should really try many pianos, I know... but in these days I've been thinking a lot about acoustic pianos and right now I'm sure of one thing: either I buy this particular piano right now, or I hold on and don't buy anything, or maybe just upgrade my DP to a PX-850.

I went to these stores because I wanted to get a feeling of how an upright sounds and looks - since I had only seen a couple of old pianos until then. I didn't go with the intention to spend thousands of euros. I thought - maybe there's a bargain there waiting for me. Well, so-called bargains were awful, and I don't want to spend years looking for the pearl in the mud. I don't want a new piano either. The acoustic is meant for my country house, where right now I can't put one, since there's no heating and the room where it should go needs to be renovated. So buying one now and having it delivered to my apartment in town would be a temporary solution. I should actually wait a couple of years until the house is ready. BUT I came across this piano I like very much, and I'm afraid I won't be able to find another one when the time comes. That's all.

I will look for a technician and visit other stores in the next few days, so I can hopefully understand a bit more about the whole thing. Then I may just go back to reading that Casio brochure...

#2141146 - 08/30/13 02:29 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A word of caution... the folks on Piano Forum love to spend other people's money, so under their guidance, you will soon find yourself nudged closer and closer to 30000 Euro pianos! laugh

#2141152 - 08/30/13 02:44 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: 4evrBeginR]
sinophilia Offline

Originally Posted By: 4evrBeginR
A word of caution... the folks on Piano Forum love to spend other people's money, so under their guidance, you will soon find yourself nudged closer and closer to 30000 Euro pianos! laugh

And I'd be fair game for that grin

#2141155 - 08/30/13 02:59 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Either way, I would say you really shouldn't upgrade to a PX850. Incremental upgrades in DP seems endless. If you are already looking at acoustic, then, just hold on and live with what you've got until you've found the right acoustic. A new DP could make you happy for a little while, but soon it's just another DP and doesn't have that live sound and feel from the real thing, then you're looking again. Best to avoid this cycle.

You may also want to try a U1-Silent or a YUS1-Silent. They give you the best of both worlds and could be optimal because of your apartment neighbors.

#2141159 - 08/30/13 03:29 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Nobody has asked sinophilia (located in Italy ... what a marvel if in Rome)
how far she's got with her piano-playing.

If still a modest beginner playing Fur Elise (et al) ... it would seem
daft to go to the expense of a costly piano (lumbering up to an upstairs apartment) ... and then have to curb playing times to avoid savaging neighbours' ears.

In similar circumstances way back in my youth, I bought a small Kemble minx upright to my Wimbledon apartment ... my playing at that time was so loopy that practice was infrequent ... on the bright side however , after a 4-year London stay, I was able to sell the piano to pay for a 2-month tour of Europe on my BSA Bantam motorbike.

#2141166 - 08/30/13 03:51 AM Re: Should I buy a reconditioned Yamaha upright? [Re: sinophilia]
sinophilia Offline

Well I'm not in Rome but we have our own small coliseum here in Verona, and I must say I like living in Northern Italy wink

Your comment is spot on btb, even this 3k piano is already too much for me, I'm not even at the Fur Elise stage. On one hand it is intimidating, on the other hand it could be stimulating. One thing for sure, my DP sounds really bad in both houses, although it's absolutely okay with headphones on. So yes, I would love something that sounds decent even if I'm not very good. Of course I'm perfectly aware that that salesman would probably sound good on any piano, plus his playing was very well suited to that specific piano.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new clip of Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/17/14 11:03 PM
Learn a Song in 7 minutes: Carol of the Bells
by Hugh Sung
12/17/14 10:11 PM
December 2014 Holiday Piano Bar
by piano_primo_1
12/17/14 06:14 PM
The Language of Taste - Pianos, Wine ... and Birds
by PNO40
12/17/14 05:16 PM
Good Practice Amp for Roland FP7F?
by TheloniousPunk
12/17/14 04:24 PM
Forum Stats
77333 Members
42 Forums
159946 Topics
2348947 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission