Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2139809 - 08/27/13 06:57 PM Just picked up a guitar.
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I was curious if anyone plays. I have been playing piano for a couple years and wanted to expand my musical knowledge. The question I have is if anyone in here plays do they find it easier than piano or the same or?

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2139823 - 08/27/13 07:29 PM Re: Just picked up a guitar. [Re: findingnemo2010]
Polyphonist Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Using what criteria? This is a completely subjective, apples-and-oranges question.

Polyphonist

#2139892 - 08/27/13 10:10 PM Re: Just picked up a guitar. [Re: findingnemo2010]
Emissary52 Offline

Loc: Monroe, NC USA
findingnemo2010 - As a recent piano player and an on-and-off guitar player, I think initially that the guitar is a bit easier. You can learn a dozen chords or so and a couple of strumming and finger-picking patterns and feel you're on your way! I remember buying a "Play Bob Dylan with Three Magic Chords" book (C,F,G7) about 40 years ago and thought I was pretty cool! Those same chords played on the piano seem a little forlorn without the melody added in. But it's like anything else in life, the more you put into it, the more you get out of it! Many excellent guitar players are self-taught unlike most of the top pianists - and you got to admit that a Martin is a lot easier to carry around than a Steinway!!

Sometimes when I'm playing a piece on the piano, I think some of the chords I might be playing, feel better or are easier on the guitar than on the piano and then - sometimes the reverse is true! Many of my old music books were piano transcriptions of guitar-based songs, so they have retained their value over the years. A lot of the musical knowledge that I picked up from my guitar playing transferred very nicely to piano.

I think it's a great idea for you to expand your musical knowledge by learning guitar. Go for it! grin
Alfred 1 Graduate

#2140050 - 08/28/13 05:19 AM Re: Just picked up a guitar. [Re: findingnemo2010]
de cajon Offline

Loc: London, UK
I think playing both is great. Go for it. Do you sing? For some reason I find it easier and more satisfying to sing along to a guitar than to the piano. And if there is a song I want to do, it's usually a lot less work to find a nice guitar accompaniment - strum or pick - than it is to find a nice piano accompaniment. Although I am trying to remedy this by working my way through Mark Harrison's pop piano book.

And I think that having both enhances the mental picture of music. Everything is there in front of you with the piano and I tend to picture melody by seeing piano keys. But the guitar's regular semitone arrangement of frets, without the arbitrary black note/white note choice of the piano promotes a different kind of picture. And I think that playing chords on the guitar helps with harmony appreciation. I'm learning Downtown Train by Bruce Springsteen. There's a C in it that's obviously a Cmaj7 when you're playing the guitar, but which wasn't obvious to me when trying out the piano (pump organ) version. And that chord sounds nice on the guitar whereas I haven't found a nice voicing on the piano yet. And that particular song needs transposing, which is a piece of cake with a capo but a different matter altogether on the piano.

#2140137 - 08/28/13 09:39 AM Re: Just picked up a guitar. [Re: de cajon]
BillTheSlink Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
In all fairness I am not advanced on either guitar or piano, but my experience was at the beginning it was more difficult to get my first sounds right out of the guitar than piano, but once I did the pace of learning picked up faster on guitar than on piano. That said guitar hurt my hands and I gave it up. I later learned I had carpel tunnel and ulnar nerve entrapment so that might have had something to do with it, but I am not sure as I was fooling with the guitar long before it was discovered due to pain while playing piano and typing. I still find it difficult to put the bend in my wrist that would be necessary to play guitar in the left hand, so I guess that could be the problem. That said my hands do not naturally take to guitar. I wish I could find a narrow and thin necked acoustic. Stretching my index finger over to the low E string just is awkward for me. My teacher said I wasn't naturally cut out for it, but could probably learn to do better with hand exercises. It doesn't help I am stiff as a board either and squeeze the neck of the instrument. I just can't help myself. I found to get basic sound out of piano to be much easier, but there is a lot more to learn, not to mention getting over the hurdle of harmony in the left hand and melody in the right.
Currently I am without a piano, but when I get mine back I will be working on "The Complete Piano Player", as well as Neely's "How to Play from a Fake Book. I am spending my time working on theory and learning how to construct chords currently.

#2140172 - 08/28/13 11:05 AM Re: Just picked up a guitar. [Re: findingnemo2010]
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The piano can be as easy or complex as you want it to be...same goes for guitar, here's an example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USgds2Ruc8U&list=PLA99400C1B7EBB876

this one's my favorite..the dolphin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4y3dGWpKWw

Edited by Bob Newbie (08/28/13 11:11 AM)

#2140518 - 08/29/13 01:46 AM Re: Just picked up a guitar. [Re: findingnemo2010]
Brian K. Offline

I've been playing for about 20 years. I play professionally these days as my main job. Piano is something I've always wanted to learn....I'm glad I finally got into it now! I'll always love the guitar though...

As stated above, the guitar and piano are both two different, yet very similar ways of looking at music. Scales and chords are easily "movable", whereas on piano, everything needs to be learned within one octave, and then each subsequent octave is an exact duplicate.

IMO, it's easier to get semi good at the guitar and impress people with your playing in a relatively short amount of time. Learning about 10 chords (mix of barre chord shapes, and the basic open position chords), and you can play most popular songs. With piano, each song is more or less "a piece", which takes much longer to perfect.

Of course, you get out of it what you put into it. That applies to any instrument.

Both are awesome instruments, and knowing both is a great thing! I'd definitely go for the guitar in addition to the piano. No one said you can't learn multiple instruments at the same time.
My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race" and make a living from your passions. I now play guitar for a living at night and learn piano during the day!

http://www.musicianlifestyle.com

#2140816 - 08/29/13 03:09 PM Re: Just picked up a guitar. [Re: findingnemo2010]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

For me it seems it's much easier to make music on a guitar involving melody or chords. The only problem I have is getting my weak small fingers in the right shape to play a chord. But with a couple chords your on your way. The piano in that sense is different to me I think you have to know more theory and it's much more visual where as the guitar I find I use my ear more and less traditional reading of music. My fingers are killing me and starting to callous. But my first love is still with the piano I believe. The chords do sound different on the guitar and I believe they are much easier to string together than on piano to make a song. I figured I'd pick up a real acoustic instrument that only relies on sounds strings and vibrations of the air to further my musical knowledge.

#2140836 - 08/29/13 03:53 PM Re: Just picked up a guitar. [Re: findingnemo2010]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
I play the bass guitar.
My first attempt at bass was about (ahem) well lets just say it was a long time ago.
This time I have a much better understanding of music theory (intervals) and that has made a HUGE difference in my bass playing. I completely understand the layout of the fretboard now.
So, in my first attempt at bass I would have told the piano was easier to understand. But now I think they are about the same. Although I think it is easier to learn and understand theory using a keyboard instrument.

I do notice I am much harder on myself when it comes to the piano. On bass I find I am much free-er so I experiment a lot and am more spontaneous. But its fun. I really enjoy it.

#2140838 - 08/29/13 03:55 PM Re: Just picked up a guitar. [Re: Emissary52]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: Emissary52
Martin is a lot easier to carry around than a Steinway!!

laugh ha
That reminds me of another point. I can sit on the couch, TV on, relax and play the bass for ages. I don't feel like I can really do that on piano.

#2140911 - 08/29/13 07:02 PM Re: Just picked up a guitar. [Re: findingnemo2010]
Oasismfg Offline

Loc: So Cal
I've been playing both for almost 40 years. Is it easier? Yes. And no.

Once you get past having your left hand in funny positions, build up some callouses on your fingertips and learn some chords, it's pretty easy to sound good and entertain. To play at a higher level (leads for example) piano is easier, at least for me. So much on guitar depends on that finger/string interface that piano hammers do for you. I consider myself a fairly decent piano player, and just a mediocre guitar player. And I spend more time on guitar, because I can do it anywhere - even if it's just noodling around while watching tv with the family with an unplugged electric.

Playing guitar has made me a better piano player, and vice-versa, and with a better understanding of music both ways. Most things I can play on one, I can do on the other, and I have a blast. The sum of knowing both far exceeds each individual. I say jump in with reckless abandon.

Edited by Oasismfg (08/29/13 07:03 PM)

#2143853 - 09/04/13 04:49 AM Re: Just picked up a guitar. [Re: findingnemo2010]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
OASISMFG has just pointed out what is also my experience. I would have to exactly say the same, except that I was by far never playing any instrument for such a long time.
before playing Drums in adults bluesband on handpicked set; before crashing E-Guitar in kids garage band; raised on home entertainment Organ and Keyboard models Eminent Solina P240, Farfisa Maharani 259R, Technics KN800, and on Mouth Organ, Recorder and Accordion

#2143929 - 09/04/13 09:06 AM Re: Just picked up a guitar. [Re: findingnemo2010]
Farmerjones Offline

Loc: USA
I've played guitar since the early eighties. Chords come fast, but the scales are not as straight forward. Important, calluses were mentioned. Many give up when their fingers get sore. Good to mention string instruments can be set up to play easier. I've been lucky enough to find instruments and luthiers to where my rigs, I think, are very easy to play. This then in turn, doesn't hinder your development. Good Luck!

#2145950 - 09/07/13 06:54 PM Re: Just picked up a guitar. [Re: findingnemo2010]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yea just trying to have fun with it. I think thats the most important part which
I didnt really in the beginning with the piano. The piano i take the practice, theory, technique and repertoire a little more serious and spend more time on it.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
159 registered (A Guy, Almaviva, 36251, accordeur, 53 invisible), 1695 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153586 Topics
2250895 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Etude in G
by Polyphonist
04/19/14 03:58 PM
A Piano Song With Notes In It
by Ritzycat
04/19/14 03:51 PM
Playing the piano again
by Mr.Wolf
04/19/14 03:47 PM
27/16 time signature!
by Polyphonist
04/19/14 03:46 PM
Three great pianists/teachers celebrate the same birthday!
by music32
04/19/14 03:41 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission