2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Riddler Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

I am in the final week of the Coursera course on Jazz Improvisation. The course was taught by none other than Gary Burton from Berklee - you can't ask for better than that! Addicted to learning, I looked around on Coursera for something similar, and came across a course called Survey of Music Technology. This is a free online course covering many aspects of music technology.

The course is taught by Georgia Tech. Here is a description:

• Through the exploration of topics such as acoustics, psychoacoustics, digital sound, digital signal processing, audio synthesis, spectral analysis, algorithmic composition, and music information retrieval, we will explore the deep relationships between art and science, between theory and practice, and between experimental and popular electronic music.

The course has just started. There are no prerequisites. You can sign up for free; there is no committment; and they do not badger you to buy anything.

I will probably just audit the course, picking and choosing topics I am interested in

Just FYI.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I have read your post, here:

OT: Survery of Music Technology Course on Coursera

I am in the final week of the Coursera course on Jazz Improvisation. The course was taught by none other than Gary Burton from Berklee - you can't ask for better than that! Addicted to learning, I looked around on Coursera for something similar, and came across a course called Survey of Music Technology. This is a free online course covering many aspects of music technology.

The course is taught by Georgia Tech. Here is a description:

Through the exploration of topics such as acoustics, psychoacoustics, digital sound, digital signal processing, audio synthesis, spectral analysis, algorithmic composition, and music information retrieval, we will explore the deep relationships between art and science, between theory and practice, and between experimental and popular electronic music.

The course has just started. There are no prerequisites. You can sign up for free; there is no committment; and they do not badger you to buy anything.

I will probably just audit the course, picking and choosing topics I am interested in

as I undersand your post, Riddler, you are making references to Coursera a company or learning institution somewhere on the planet in some country in some city.

as a beginner piano player, To me the internet is scary and dangerous.

You say, Riddler, I am in the final week of the Coursera course on Jazz Improvisation. The course was taught by none other than Gary Burton from Berklee - you can't ask for better than that!

You say, Riddler, Addicted to learning, I looked around on Coursera for something similar, and came across a course called Survey of Music Technology. This is a free online course covering many aspects of music technology. The course is taught by Georgia Tech. Here is a description:

Through the exploration of topics such as acoustics, psychoacoustics, digital sound, digital signal processing, audio synthesis, spectral analysis, algorithmic composition, and music information retrieval, we will explore the deep relationships between art and science, between theory and practice, and between experimental and popular electronic music.

The course has just started. There are no prerequisites. You can sign up for free; there is no commitment; and they do not badger you to buy anything.

as a beginner piano player, I don't undersand what you mean when you say you can sign up for free, there is no commitment and they do not badger you to buy anything.

What does sign up for free mean? Does it mean you sign a free contract of a course? I don't understand that as a beginner piano player. Help me undersand your post.

When you say, they do not badger you to buy anything. Who is "they"? Is that Coursera or does the word "they" referring to something else? I would hope that nobody in business would ever attempt to badger anybody about anything including some form of business.

When you say, Riddler, badger you to buy anything - what are they selling? - if you know - and what is it and how much goes it cost in American dollars or in the currency that the internet company is in being a country that is unknown unless you tell us.

When you say, Riddler, I will probably just audit the course, picking and choosing topics I am interested in

It sound awesome, Riddler, except I don't understand how it relates to the forum for beginner piano players because it is about playing the piano not the high tech stuff that I don't understand.

Last edited by Michael_99; 08/28/13 03:30 AM.
R
Riddler Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Michael99,

Thanks for your comments.

The Internet is indeed a dangerous place, and if you are suspicious of a website I agree you should steer clear of it. Even a supposedly benign website like Facebook has its dangers - often when I "Like" something there, I get flooded with spam. You are right to be cautious.

FYI, there are no contracts. You do have to accept some statements to the effect that the work you submit for assignments is your own. In other words, you promise not to cheat. Fair enough.

I have to admit, I was unsure which forum to post this message in. I thought about several other forums, but I saw that there are already a lot of posts on other forums about Coursera, so I assumed the people there are already aware of this resource, and it occurred to me that perhaps my friends on this forum might be interested but not aware of it. If you read a lof of the posts here, you will see that there is a great deal of discussion (and sometimes confusion) about things like how to record for recitals, how to digitize (sample rates, bit rates, normalizing, etc), acoustic vs digital pianos, etc. Even for the beginner, if you are going to post your music online and get feedback and become a member of a community sharing their music online, you have to cope with the recording technology at least at a very basic level. So I opted to post the info here, and start the title of the post with the letters OT, which means Off Topic. This is the usual way of indicating that a post may be of interest to just a subset of the readers.

Again, thanks for your interest.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission