Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2140241 - 08/28/13 12:56 PM Piano Bench
leel Offline

Loc: Lacey WA
I've been looking for a bench & checked out the Frederick. There seems to be a newer, better(?) one for $269, and wonder if someone could tell me if the "new improved" version would be worth it.There is also an OSP bench for $329 that grandpianobench.com has. Yet again, a Woodmaster BN-1200 for $269.99 at vandaking.com, and it includes storage. As someone pretty new to all this, to say I'm confused is an understatement. Advice, please.

I had originally (last night) posted this to an older string on the same topic, but decided I'd better put it where people would see it more easily.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2140268 - 08/28/13 01:43 PM Re: Piano Bench [Re: leel]
Roger Ransom Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
Oh no, not again. Here come the Jansen fanboys.

#2140315 - 08/28/13 03:55 PM Re: Piano Bench [Re: Roger Ransom]
BoseEric Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Fairfield County, CT
Consider the world's best bench, the Hidrau BM45H

#2140494 - 08/29/13 12:41 AM Re: Piano Bench [Re: BoseEric]
musicpassion Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
Originally Posted By: BoseEric
Consider the world's best bench, the Hidrau BM45H

I'm thinking about a new bench so I googled this product. I'm assuming you have one? It looks too wide for a single artist but too narrow for a duet bench (at least for two full size adults). Also, that padding looks thin. Is it comfortable for long periods of time?
Any idea of life expectancy on the "nitrogen cylinder" system? Office chairs use something like that, and they don't last very long. Also SUV rear hatches use pressurized cylinders, and those only seem to last 10 - 20 years.
I'd be plenty happy for you to prove these points wrong, with a response like "They've been manufacturing them for 50 years and they're all still working fine." I'm not thrilled about the price of Jansen.

#2140605 - 08/29/13 09:20 AM Re: Piano Bench [Re: leel]
terminaldegree Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
I've sat on one of these a few times (the Hidrau bench) and performed on one once. They're absolutely fabulous. My recollection of the particular model I tried was not quite the size of a long duet bench, but it could work in a pinch. The adjustability was effortless (something I cannot say about the others - in some cases the mechanism is so binding that it hurts my hands to change positions) and the seat cushion certainly felt a little different, but not thinly padded. It also looks really modern.

BoseEric is the US distributor for the benches, I believe. I've seen them at Hulbert Piano in the Milwaukee area and there are a ton of them in the showroom at Piano Craft in the DC area.

Edited by terminaldegree (08/29/13 02:47 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#2140801 - 08/29/13 02:30 PM Re: Piano Bench [Re: leel]
Steve Peterson Offline

Bronze Level Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Texas
Just a comment about the Frederick bench. The Frederick bench looks like a fine bench, but I was a little concerned when I saw the inner mechanicals of the height adjustment. If you look at pictures of Shaolin95's Frederick bench you'll see what the mechanism looks like.

Compare this with the innner mechanism of the Jansen bench here:

My point is that with many things, you do get what you pay for. That's not to say the Frederick bench isn't a fine bench, or that it won't last, but their reduced price is at least partly due to the cuts they made in the mechanism.

1967 Baldwin SD-10 - My Baby!

#2140808 - 08/29/13 02:39 PM Re: Piano Bench [Re: Steve Peterson]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Originally Posted By: Steve Peterson
My point is that with many things, you do get what you pay for. That's not to say the Frederick bench isn't a fine bench, or that it won't last, but their reduced price is at least partly due to the cuts they made in the mechanism.

The conclusion could also be drawn that Jansen benches are simply overbuilt and overpriced.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2140848 - 08/29/13 04:16 PM Re: Piano Bench [Re: Minnesota Marty]
shaolin95 Offline

hahah good point as always Marty. thumb

I cannot really say how long lasting is going to be since I got it recently plus I am not a heavy person at just about 165lbs but I dont see anything that screams cheapo on its built quality to be concerned. smile

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)

#2140933 - 08/29/13 07:57 PM Re: Piano Bench [Re: shaolin95]
leel Offline

Well, I finally bit the bullet & ordered the same Frederick that Shaolin has -- it certainly looks good, and since it has held both him and Marty w/o falling apart.... laugh

#2140941 - 08/29/13 08:16 PM Re: Piano Bench [Re: shaolin95]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: shaolin95
hahah good point as always Marty. thumb

I cannot really say how long lasting is going to be since I got it recently plus I am not a heavy person at just about 165lbs but I dont see anything that screams cheapo on its built quality to be concerned. smile

It really depends on the weight of the person sitting on it. That mechanism looks well capable of holding somebody up to about 180-190lbs, and I would expect no problems. Beyond 200 and I'd want something more sturdy. I'm 6'6" and beyond 250lbs so I wouldn't get such a bench, but I don't necessarily need the nuclear blast resistant powers of the Jansen either. I currently have an old Yamaha bench that is holding just fine, it's mechanicals are midway between the Frederick and the Jansen.

Bottom line you only need a bench that is strong enough to hold you. As long as no gorillas jump on it without your approval you'll probably be ok.

#2140958 - 08/29/13 08:48 PM Re: Piano Bench [Re: leel]

Originally Posted By: leel
Well, I finally bit the bullet & ordered the same Frederick that Shaolin has -- it certainly looks good, and since it has held both him and Marty w/o falling apart.... laugh

Well, Shaolin and I haven't been on the bench at the same time!

My Benched Butt Force weighs in at 225. After over a year of continuous use, it hasn't cried 'uncle' yet!

#2140961 - 08/29/13 08:51 PM Re: Piano Bench [Re: leel]

leel,

Check out Shaolin's thread for some assembly tips. Also, don't bother with the 'ikea' sized wrench and use a grown-up tool.

#2140987 - 08/29/13 09:53 PM Re: Piano Bench [Re: Minnesota Marty]
leel Offline

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
leel,

Check out Shaolin's thread for some assembly tips. Also, don't bother with the 'ikea' sized wrench and use a grown-up tool.

Thanks for the tip, Marty. Typical Minnesota nice.
smile

#2140989 - 08/29/13 09:57 PM Re: Piano Bench [Re: leel]

Aw, gee

#2140995 - 08/29/13 10:07 PM Re: Piano Bench [Re: leel]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Do not tighten the nuts that hold the legs on so tight that the metal brackets bend! Just tighten them enough to flatten the lock washers.

#2141018 - 08/29/13 11:08 PM Re: Piano Bench [Re: Minnesota Marty]
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tomball, Texas

"The conclusion could also be drawn that Jansen benches are simply overbuilt and overpriced."

Jansens are not overbuilt and overpriced, just designed for day in day out institutional use. There is a quantum difference in the mechanism. One is built to last and the other isn't. Everything is fine...until it isn't, and the money's already been spent. I have an engineering friend in the aerospace industry and his motto is "Anything that's worth doing...is worth overdoing." Only one of these benches qualifies in that regard. Your mileage may vary.

#2141263 - 08/30/13 09:20 AM Re: Piano Bench [Re: leel]

It is interesting that everyone considers the Frederick mechanism to be "the bottom of the barrel." It is not! There are some really 'garbage' benches on the market. Do a little searching and you will find them. There seems to be roaring bench bigotry around here. It's as common as Steinway Bashing.

I get very frustrated when the attitude is constantly displayed that it is "Jansen, or don't bother." That's like saying "Buy a Fazioli, or don't bother." Benches, like pianos, come in a range of prices and quality levels. Shoppers have different needs and budgets. That should be respected.

It is useless to give advice based on speculation or standard PW mindset. "I have heard" doesn't cut it. One might dream of a Steingraeber E-272 but can be very happy with an Albert Weber AW-185.

#2141276 - 08/30/13 09:48 AM Re: Piano Bench [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Steve Peterson Offline

Bronze Level Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Texas
I get very frustrated when the attitude is constantly displayed that it is "Jansen, or don't bother." That's like saying "Buy a Fazioli, or don't bother." Benches, like pianos, come in a range of prices and quality levels. Shoppers have different needs and budgets. That should be respected.

Since you seem to be referring to my comments, please allow me to retort. I did not say he should buy a Jansen. In fact, I said that bench may be a fine bench. I simply pointed out a fact of the build of the bench that isn't shown in any of the marketing pictures I've seen. In fact, I wouldn't have known about it unless Shaolin95 had posted the picture in his initial thread. Pointing out obvious differences in design, part of which explains the difference in price between the two benches, is not saying one must get a Jansen.

I have a Jansen bench, because I got a great deal on it when I bought my piano. If that hadn't happened, I may indeed have bought the Frederick. However, I would have wanted to know the differences between the two, which are almost impossible to tell from the standard web descriptions.

In conclusion, please stop trying to turn every freaking discussion into an argument. It tires and vexes me. Thanks.

1967 Baldwin SD-10 - My Baby!

#2141280 - 08/30/13 09:57 AM Re: Piano Bench [Re: leel]
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Esthetically speaking isn't there a gap visible when the bench is dialed up?
that to me is a turnoff.. why don't they have leather flaps like a sofa skirt
to hide the space when its raised up? just my 2 cents smile

Edited by Bob Newbie (08/30/13 10:02 AM)

#2141285 - 08/30/13 10:12 AM Re: Piano Bench [Re: leel]

Steve,

I wasn't aiming my remarks at you. It was written in general terms. I've seen these threads show up repeatedly at PW with the same comments over and over again. Please read back through this thread, and previous threads, and you will see a distinct pattern.

Bob Newbie,

To which bench are you referring? Most manufacturers offer various styles of benches. Some are skirted and some are not. Some have storage, some do not.

#2141286 - 08/30/13 10:14 AM Re: Piano Bench [Re: leel]
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The expensive Jansen leather benches with the dialup feature..
and even the Jansen imitators as well, the Hidrau contemporary
style bench you can see the raise/lower handles visible,and when you jack it up the aluminum rails show that aren't black
like the legs..a cosmetic turnoff...esthetics do matter!

Edited by Bob Newbie (08/30/13 10:24 AM)

#2141290 - 08/30/13 10:23 AM Re: Piano Bench [Re: leel]

Hi Bob,

Here's a photo of a Jansen Artist Bench. I would call that skirted, as is the Frederick.

#2141294 - 08/30/13 10:32 AM Re: Piano Bench [Re: leel]
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

When you raise the seat can the audience see the gap when the seat is dialed up?

#2141299 - 08/30/13 10:40 AM Re: Piano Bench [Re: leel]

In most cases, I wouldn't think so. I have never noticed it to be the case in concerto or recital performance. It would all depend on the height required by the pianist. In the USA, chances are that the piano will be Steinway and the bench a Jansen.

Have you noticed a gap when attending a performance?

#2141301 - 08/30/13 10:46 AM Re: Piano Bench [Re: leel]
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I don't know if this is a Jansen bench.. it gives it a cheap/cheesy appearance. The gap needs to be covered regardless of the maker of the bench..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXPI64P33y4

Edited by Bob Newbie (08/30/13 10:53 AM)

#2141303 - 08/30/13 10:49 AM Re: Piano Bench [Re: leel]

Bob,

Here's a bench which would seem to indicate what you are visualizing.

Usually these are not referred to as an "artist" bench.

#2141559 - 08/30/13 09:17 PM Re: Piano Bench [Re: Minnesota Marty]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
It is interesting that everyone considers the Frederick mechanism to be "the bottom of the barrel." It is not! There are some really 'garbage' benches on the market.

Yup, I have one of those, and I could say, it can get worse than that. Yes much worse. I finally took the screws from my bench to ACE Hardware, ask them what could I do to keep these things in because every time someone adjust the bench, the screws fall out. The guys looked at it and said, how about glue it in. OK, good idea. I did that, and now they are staying in, but the bench still wobble a little. Here's the worse part, the ACE guys said "the screws are all bent, look like a lot of weight, you need a bigger screw." Wow, that's not happening, since a bigger screw won't fit the mechanism and it's already as long as it could be without going through the side of the bench. Cheap design.

I recent found my $200 bench (from local store) on alibaba.com from Chinese distributor for less than $35, as low as $1 with minimum order of 3000. I also found it at another Internet merchant for about $95. Hopefully the current intervention will last long enough for me to save for something good. I'm so tired of this cheap stuff. I'm ready for over engineered. Just have to get through maybe another year with my current piece of xxxx.

#2141958 - 08/31/13 08:01 PM Re: Piano Bench [Re: Minnesota Marty]
thorn_was_taken Offline

I like that 'non-artist' bench with the gap. It looks like the hovercraft of benches. Almost supernatural.

-- Sometimes I poke. Even if I like you.

1920's Mason & Hamlin A

#2142037 - 09/01/13 12:00 AM Re: Piano Bench [Re: Minnesota Marty]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
Originally Posted By: leel

Well, Shaolin and I haven't been on the bench at the same time!

My Benched Butt Force weighs in at 225. After over a year of continuous use, it hasn't cried 'uncle' yet!

LOL

Marty, you are one of the funniest and most self-effacing people I know! Even on line.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2142165 - 09/01/13 08:47 AM Re: Piano Bench [Re: leel]

Thanks Greg!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
126 registered (accordeur, A Guy, AEMontoya, 255, 39 invisible), 1148 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157152 Topics
2308032 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
No one home?
by ScottM
08/29/14 08:05 PM
Prokofiev's 5 piano concertos, live: Marinskij/Gergiev etc
by fnork
08/29/14 07:36 PM
Has anyone here studied with S. Babayan
by Serge Marinkovic
08/29/14 07:05 PM
Roland RD 800 Dust Cover
by BarryDMD
08/29/14 06:14 PM
OT - Technical help for recording Silent feature to laptop
by casinitaly
08/29/14 05:13 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission