Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2140364 - 08/28/13 06:06 PM How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . .
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I`m not trying to plug Casio; but this guy has a bluesy jazzy gospel relaxed style which is truly wonderful. Anyone tell me a book/download document that`d demonstrate that genre? Like, the runs and fancy stuff which everybody but me seems to know . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqKkUMYT4sE&list=HL1377727402

""

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2140468 - 08/28/13 11:07 PM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: peterws]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Are you studying with a teacher? Only an experienced teacher could really take a player from scratch to that, if anything. As far as a place to start, though, you might try Tim Richards's Improvising Blues Piano.

#2140474 - 08/28/13 11:33 PM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: peterws]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: peterws
I`m not trying to plug Casio; but this guy has a bluesy jazzy gospel relaxed style which is truly wonderful. Anyone tell me a book/download document that`d demonstrate that genre? Like, the runs and fancy stuff which everybody but me seems to know . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqKkUMYT4sE&list=HL1377727402

Love it! I don't know about teaching you how to do that from start to finish, but there is some music that is written out that might steer you in the right direction. Mark Hayes writes gospel stuff. I actually prefer his piano accompaniments to his solo piano stuff, but it's still pretty good nonetheless. He's got a song called Gospel of Grace which is a gospelly Amazing Grace...maybe he's made a solo piano version of it.

Here's a duet by Christopher Norton that's kind of that sound:
https://soundcloud.com/nortonchristopher/01e-gospel-piano-performance
Some other suggestions he has for gospel pieces:
-Skipping rope from The Microstyles Collection
-Play it again from Microjazz Collection 2
-Gospel ballad from Microballads
And from the Connections series:
-Trumpet Blues from Connections 2
-In the spirit from Connections 3
-Lightbulb from Connections 4
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2140477 - 08/28/13 11:47 PM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: peterws]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
fantastic playing and not even a high end dp

#2140506 - 08/29/13 01:17 AM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: peterws]
dire tonic Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Peter, you asked about this before when you heard the same guy playing Let It Be. This is the same style - I really like it too. The only way to get inside it is to pull it apart yourself. It’s leaning into gospel but until he opens up around 1:30 it’s much less of the big chords and much more of the RH decoration. Start with the harmonic changes, the way he’s playing them, with his inversions (mostly 3 or 4 part), and leave the trickier ornaments until after you’ve mapped out the basic structure.

Flourishes/ornaments; there’s a nice little figure around 0:22. Make yourself an mp3 of the track (e.g. Firefox+downloadhelper) and loop that figure (e.g. audacity or VLC player) for 10 minutes or so then go to the piano and keep working it until you’ve got it. There aren’t too many notes, it’s more in the rhythmic placing. If you can get that, you’re on your way and should be able to get the essence of what he’s doing elsewhere (up to 1:30!)

I’ve heard some of the things you play – I’m sure you can do this.

#2140556 - 08/29/13 04:31 AM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: dire tonic]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You`re right about Let it be. I tried getting inside that, but patience isn`t my strong point. Got some improvemnts, mind. This latest might be better. But I do believe all these runs and riffs and chords are written down somewhere , . . .Isn`t classical easier to play? All ya do is follow the music and bash at it `till it`s sorta right . . .or your wrist drops off!

I did try following the music to Just the way it is with that piano solo in the middle. Another failure . . . ! grin

""

#2140583 - 08/29/13 08:18 AM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: peterws]
Morodiene Offline

I agree with DT, you can certainly learn this by ear everything he's doing, but just keep at it until you get it. If you get stuck, let us know at which point and we can help you figure it out. The more you do this kind of thing, the easier it gets. Also, by playing gospel music that is written out, you get a sense of the style and the different licks that make it sound the way it does. This also makes it easier to figure out something by ear, because you can identify the separate licks as they come, then it's just a matter of finding the pitch/key.

#2140615 - 08/29/13 09:49 AM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: Morodiene]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You`re right; you`re all right! Trouble is I was taught (not for long) along classical lines . . . it`s not easy changing tracks with yer mind never mind yer fingers . . .but got to be worth it!

""

#2140620 - 08/29/13 09:59 AM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: peterws]
Morodiene Offline

You`re right; you`re all right! Trouble is I was taught (not for long) along classical lines . . . it`s not easy changing tracks with yer mind never mind yer fingers . . .but got to be worth it!

Me too, so I totally can relate! That's why I recommend finding written-out gospel music to start. Seeing it and being able to play those licks as if it were improvised helps you get a feel for the style. Then you can get into learning how to play in that style having that as your foundation. Not impossible, especially if you have a love for it.

#2140635 - 08/29/13 10:29 AM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: peterws]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

There are precious few books now available, and none were available decades ago, yet people back then, and now, still learned how to play like that. Where did that guy learn?

People who play like that typically learned by listening and copying what others played. That is how I learned, back when all you had was vinyl records and an acoustic piano.

The way to do this is to transcribe.

IMO, the easiest way to transcribe is to isolate and slow down small sections of the music, then figure it out, and write it down.

First, get yourself one of these:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CDGT2/

You can input music into that device via CD, MP3, or in the case of that youtube video, from the earphone jack on your computer.

Then you can slow it down, freeze individual notes, and thus be able to decipher it.

Then get a notebook of ruled staff lines, and write it out.

Then learn it in several other keys.

BTW, I was Classically trained...a great help in actually playing the piano, but this is a completely different style of thinking, so don't think that your Classical training is a hindrance. Just use it as a springboard to learning to learn by ear.

Its all good.

#2140640 - 08/29/13 10:46 AM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: peterws]
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: pagosa springs,co
Wow, he sure makes the Casio sound great. His playing was wonderfully clear which would make it easier to transcribe. I do believe that this style of playing/music comes more naturally to some than others [ like jazz] and that most likely is related to what the person listens to a lot or has grown up with. Note readers could get through this piece easily but you probably agree the pianist has a nice sound and style and probably noticed he is not a youngster. If I was after learning it I would work out small segments. Maybe it might turn out to be PW collective project.

rada

#2140707 - 08/29/13 12:19 PM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: peterws]
Brian K. Offline

This guys playing reminds me I exactly how my buddy Ray plays. He is the reason I got started in the piano in the first place. He has that very bluesy feel to his playing, with lots of pretty jazzy chords as the harmony. I love it! I'm following through the piano for all course, and the last few books get into jazz and blues. So hopefully I'll get a bit of a feel for this type of playing. I may even sit down and attempt to figure some of this out by ear.

Thanks for sharing this OP!!
My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race" and make a living from your passions. I now play guitar for a living at night and learn piano during the day!

http://www.musicianlifestyle.com

#2140711 - 08/29/13 12:21 PM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: peterws]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
I want to play like Rocket88!! laugh

Of course, the guy in the music video was good too. smile

Rick

#2140724 - 08/29/13 12:42 PM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: Rickster]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Rickster
I want to play like Rocket88!! laugh

Of course, the guy in the music video was good too. smile

Rick

Disclaimer: Rickster is the president of my fan club. laugh

#2140783 - 08/29/13 02:03 PM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: rocket88]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Rocket, thanks for that, man . . others have said similar. I can slow stuff down nicely on VLC, so that`s what I`ll do . . . What fun! Might have to buy a Casio to sound like that . . . .

""

#2140785 - 08/29/13 02:05 PM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: peterws]
Morodiene Offline

Rocket, thanks for that, man . . others have said similar. I can slow stuff down nicely on VLC, so that`s what I`ll do . . . What fun! Might have to buy a Casio to sound like that . . . .

I wasn't really impressed with the Casio's sound, mind you. His playing was amazing though. I'm sure if you figure it out on your setup it will be great too (and most likely sounded better than the Casio). smile

#2140791 - 08/29/13 02:17 PM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: peterws]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Basically, everyone I know who plays Blues well, be it guitar, harmonica, piano, B3, sax, bass, drums, etc, has taught it to themselves the hard way by intensive listening.

They may have learned how to play the instrument by taking lessons, typically Classical or Jazz, but to actually learn how to play the genre, its mostly by listening, diagnosing what is going on, figuring it out, writing it out, and in that way internalizing it.

ps...this in no way is an endorsement for beginners to self-teach
themselves how to play the instrument...get a good teacher to get you going, I had Classical lessons for years, and that provided the strong foundation to play what I wanted later on.

#2140857 - 08/29/13 04:39 PM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: peterws]
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: pagosa springs,co
Maybe you can find someone that plays with a similar style in your area that teaches...or even online....that would definitely make it simpler....just watching someone and having them help you learn some basic ideas.

rada

#2141049 - 08/30/13 12:08 AM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: peterws]
Brian K. Offline

I dig this style of playing a lot. I didn't really spend too much time on trying to figure out what he was doing, but from a start it seems to be generally based on a I - bVII - IV progression in C ( C - Bb - F). Just playing around with that progression is a ton of fun...throwing in A blues licks as well. I wanna try and figure this out some more, and steal this guy's feel!
My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race" and make a living from your passions. I now play guitar for a living at night and learn piano during the day!

http://www.musicianlifestyle.com

#2141050 - 08/30/13 12:11 AM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: peterws]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
How about you all stop trying to imitate someone else, and try to develop your own style? I don't know much about non-classical piano, but I doubt that copying someone is looked upon as a good thing in any genre.

Polyphonist

#2141063 - 08/30/13 12:25 AM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: Polyphonist]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Copying is something all the great composers did; that`s why their music changed with time. Chopin did some mean blues licks; Beethoven did the same earlier. I think it just developed from there; everybody has their own slant on it.

I wonder if there`s a respected piano player alive who hasn`t done this . . .and added their own personality to it which somebody else copied.

Who started this genre? Bet he was black.

""

#2141137 - 08/30/13 02:10 AM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: Polyphonist]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
How about you all stop trying to imitate someone else, and try to develop your own style? I don't know much about non-classical piano, but I doubt that copying someone is looked upon as a good thing in any genre.

How is it that you think we learn to speak and converse with others (and/or to impart inflection)? We copy. We do the same with anything and everything we do - be it writing, telling jokes, composing, etc. - until we develop our own style; you're suggesting to put the cart before the horse. It's not as though peter plans to seek out the player as an artist and copy every single performance he's ever done. Just as most all other competent ear players have done (as rocket88 attested to), peter will copy the things he likes (in this case, maybe the whole performance) while ignoring the things he doesn't like [by the same performers] and thus go about forming his own style based on his own unique tastes. Just as copying and "quoting" in composition was once viewed as flattery in classical music (before the rise of litigation), why can't the same be the case in jazz/non-classical.

#2141140 - 08/30/13 02:13 AM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: Polyphonist]
dire tonic Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south

I very much doubt anyone in the jazz (country/soul/etc. etc.) idiom has ever innovated without going through a phase of emulation – maybe this is true of most artists in most fields – if for no other reason than to get a bearing on the art form and to develop one’s technique. After all, every idiom is characterised by its clichés.

Emulation, either deliberate or subconscious (the former is what most of us do while the latter is perhaps a sign of greater talent) is a spring board for invention.

#2141392 - 08/30/13 01:42 PM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: Polyphonist]
Michael Martinez Offline

Loc: California

Not true. It's the way that popular musicians learn. You hear something you like, you try and figure out what makes it work and how to generalize on it. You copy other people's licks and incorporate them into your own playing.

That said, the replies in this thread are too heavy on the "imitation" aspect. I haven't heard anyone say that you also learn from the musicians you play with. You get tips from them. They show you tricks and ways of looking at things. More experienced guys show you how to do things simpler. And just the fact of musical interaction is a learning process.

I'd say becoming a competent musician consists of about four equal parts:
* imitating what you hear
* learning the theory of harmony
* noodling and experimentation
* tips, tricks and advice from other musicians

#2141416 - 08/30/13 02:09 PM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: Michael Martinez]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

"That said, the replies in this thread are too heavy on the "imitation" aspect."

I think this is how it has to be with this guy . . .When you see someone who is in a place you want to be able to feel comfortable with, you imitate. His runs (standard, in most cases) and his dynamics. The dynamics are terrific!

Wonder if he`ll want to imitate me? Just let him dare . . . .

""

#2141806 - 08/31/13 12:25 PM Re: How to play like him? Well, maybe just a bit . . [Re: Polyphonist]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Just to add to the general disagreement here...

Copying, no matter how well it's done, will always be our own work with our own slant and interpretation on it. What we choose to copy is what helps to shape our style.

Copying shows up differences between the original and our own attempts. It's finding the causes of those differences and trying to reduce them that leads to new and better technique. New techniques foster creativity by opening up new avenues and greater possibilities.

It also shows up the many shortcomings of our present notation system and increases our aural skills.

I've learned more and improved more from copying great pianists than I ever would have done otherwise.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianos of Downton Abbey
by Almaviva
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Learning a piece under a deadline, good results?
by ChopinLives81
Yesterday at 10:05 PM
Gors Spangenberg
by PhilipInChina
Yesterday at 09:28 PM
Help with Korg M1
by bonesy
Yesterday at 09:12 PM
Screw stringer parts needed
by tenspan
Yesterday at 08:58 PM
Who's Online
83 registered (ando, Alux, anotherscott, Almaviva, 19 invisible), 1043 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76620 Members
42 Forums
158431 Topics
2326641 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission