2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Listening to this sonata and in the 2nd and 4th movements are a couple melodies that I swear I've heard in Mozart somewhere. Do you know what I'm talking about?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Joel,

Which sonata no. 1 do you mean? The Op. 49 pair was composed before all the others and published later without Beethoven's permission . . .

Maybe you can elaborate on which melodies? Scriabin is right - one does hear Mendelssohn in Wagner! - so I am quite open to a similar idea with the Beethoven sonata no. 1 (whichever no. 1 sonata it is! - it is a bit confusing that these works are usually numbered out of chronological sequence).

M.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Michael: Everybody knows which Beethoven Sonata is #1!
(Just look in any Vol. 1 of the sonatas, see which one is #1, and you have your answer.)
You're making it more complicated than it is. smile

Joel: I imagine that for the 4th mvt you mean the melody at 15:53 on here. But there are a couple of other places too.
For the 2nd mvt, I think there could be a number of places.

Last edited by Mark_C; 08/29/13 02:30 AM.
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
What Mark said, Michael. smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Someone recently posted a video in which a lecture was given on the role of improvisation in Mozart. In it, the lecturer played a piece and pointed out that it was quite reminiscent of a particular melody in the (Pathetique?) sonata. I can't remember which piece it was, but as soon as he said it, it was totally obvious.

Whether composers did it to pay deliberate homage or it's more incidental to simply having had the prior masters' works drilled in their minds, it's hard to tell.

As for this particular instance, I don't know, but certainly Beethoven engaged in a not-inconsequential amount of overt musical "quoting" of even himself.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I can't think of any exact matches with Mozart, maybe someone else here can do this?

That is the Beethoven slow movement that got me in trouble at school! Play it faster or get an "F" were the options presented to me (I chose a third option: withdrawal!).

It doesn't feel particularly Mozartean to me . . .

M.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If we are talking about Beethoven's 1st Sonata Opus 2/1 ... which is dedicated to Papa Joseph Haydn.

At that time Beethoven was still trapped in the antiquated styles of his mentors Haydn and Mozart.

Only in Opus 13 (Pathetique) does Beethoven pin his true colours to the mast.

which are a

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
Someone recently posted a video in which a lecture was given on the role of improvisation in Mozart. In it, the lecturer played a piece and pointed out that it was quite reminiscent of a particular melody in the (Pathetique?) sonata. I can't remember which piece it was, but as soon as he said it, it was totally obvious.

Whether composers did it to pay deliberate homage or it's more incidental to simply having had the prior masters' works drilled in their minds, it's hard to tell.

As for this particular instance, I don't know, but certainly Beethoven engaged in a not-inconsequential amount of overt musical "quoting" of even himself.

You might be referring to the Adagio of the pathetique - there's a similar A flat section in the slow movement of Mozart's sonata in the very same key.

Many of these hommages MUST have been thought out well in advance...Brahms 1st sonata opens with allusions not only to Hammerklavier but to Waldstein as well. Ravel's Valses nobles start with exactly the same rhythm as the Schubert Valses nobles, just that the bar placement has been changed. Shostakovich's 2nd fugue subject (the one in a minor) has the same rhythm as Bach's 2nd fugue subject (in c minor) but with the bar-line displaced, again. Heck, the first prelude in the Shosta set starts with the very same notes as Bach's C major prelude! Brahms Schumann variations include a quotation from a song by Clara Schumann...etc etc etc. One could go on endlessly.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by btb
If we are talking about Beethoven's 1st Sonata Opus 2/1 ... which is dedicated to Papa Joseph Haydn.

At that time Beethoven was still trapped in the antiquated styles of his mentors Haydn and Mozart.

Only in Opus 13 (Pathetique) does Beethoven pin his true colours to the mast.

The Beethoven slow movements seem to have a broader, more monumental quality than those in Haydn and Mozart - even in the earlier Beethoven sonatas. For some reason this professor had a tremendous resistance to the expression of this in sound. Probably I would have handled the situation of being threatened with an "F" grade on the basis of something other than my piano skills more diplomatically if I had been older. I was hardly a teenager at the time . . . it seemed easiest and least confrontational to just walk straight to the administration offices and say I wanted out with full refund to my parents - and the administrators seemed to think this was the best solution for everyone involved as well!

M.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The melody Mark pointed out at 5:53 does sound and shape similar to Mozart K545 mvt.2......at least to my untrained ear.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Michael: Everybody knows which Beethoven Sonata is #1!
(Just look in any Vol. 1 of the sonatas, see which one is #1, and you have your answer.)
You're making it more complicated than it is. smile

Joel: I imagine that for the 4th mvt you mean the melody at 15:53 on here. But there are a couple of other places too.
For the 2nd mvt, I think there could be a number of places.

Mark, yes! That's one of the spots at least. And I just figured that one out. Sounds very much like K281 at 2:22 in this recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnJvgUY0Vts#t=2m22s

By the way, if you've ever wondered how some videos take you to a specific time, it's simple. Just add this to the end of your url: #t=(minutes number)m(seconds number)s

For example, 1:20 would be: #t=1m20s

3:23:13 would be #t=3h23m13s

Just thought I'd share... smile

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission