Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2140834 - 08/29/13 03:48 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: bennevis]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
Ben,

It has been my experience that good music of any kind sells itself when it is well performed. it's ironic that we all think we need to "market the product", when all it needs, really, is to presented well and clearly to the public.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2140861 - 08/29/13 04:56 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: Nikolas]
jdw Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted By: Nikolas
Actually I stopped twice... Left the violinist playing on his own... No other wrong notes or anything. but stopping for me is the apotheosis of errors! You lose the rhythm, the flow, the continuity, the essence of music is you stopped. And I did it twice!

Stopping--that's nothing! The audience probably thought the violinist had a cadenza.

Actually, I once was singing an aria when the pianist stopped. I kept going for a few measures but lost it where the piano was supposed to cue me. Luckily it was near the start in an amateur performance before tolerant folks, so we just started over and all was good. (Ok, I'm a soprano, but not the sort who gets carried by anybody.)
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2141348 - 08/30/13 12:27 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: Mark_C]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
I'm almost disappointed when they don't applaud between movements of certain pieces. grin

YES. They used to do it all the time... and some endings obviously beg for it. The first piece that pops into my head is the 1st movement of the Debussy violin sonata. That NEEDS applause. And of course there was that time when we played it at a rich donor's house, who had invited many of his friends (really nice people, not musicians) and they of course applauded after that movement. It felt right! And then the 2nd movement definitely does not need it, it kind of melts into the 3rd, and then you have your finale.

Anyway...

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2141351 - 08/30/13 12:31 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: Nikolas]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I love being applaud... Why on earth not?

I remember one time in Syria (back in 2000 or so, when things were fine there), I went with a violinist to play a piece, and I literally butchered the piece! Yet the Syrians and French (it was the ECUME meeting) were clapping like nuts. I wanted to die, but the violinist was loving it and thus we just went in and out about 5 times...

Then I got scolded by our teacher that we should enjoy it... and that's what I've been doing ever since! laugh

HAHA!!! I so know what you mean... I've had so many of those! But it's true though - when you feel you've played like sh--, the last thing you want is to put on a goofy smile and bow like the queen of the world. My teacher gave me a whole lecture about this after one recital, he was so mad at me... it was all, "I don't give a **** if you think you played like ****, you smile graciously and bow properly, damn it! You are thanking people for taking the time to see you play and accepting their praise." etc etc. Ugh. In fact, I was almost so annoyed by my playing, and the applause made me feel so uncomfortable, that they actually had to edit out my bowing in the videos....... for every single piece.......

Edited by Pogorelich. (08/30/13 12:35 PM)

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2141353 - 08/30/13 12:34 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Polyphonist Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.

I remember one time in Syria (back in 2000 or so, when things were fine there), I went with a violinist to play a piece, and I literally butchered the piece! Yet the Syrians and French (it was the ECUME meeting) were clapping like nuts. I wanted to die, but the violinist was loving it and thus we just went in and out about 5 times...

Then I got scolded by our teacher that we should enjoy it... and that's what I've been doing ever since! laugh

HAHA!!! I so know what you mean... I've had so many of those! But it's true though - when you feel you've played like sh--, the last thing you want is to put on a goofy smile and bow like the queen of the world. My teacher gave me a whole lecture about this after one recital, he was so mad at me... it was all, "I don't give a **** if you think you played like ****, you smile graciously and bow properly, damn it! You are thanking people for taking the time to see you play and accepting their praise." etc etc. Ugh. In fact, I was almost so annoyed by the applause that they actually had to edit out my bowing in the videos....... for every single piece.......

You don't have to smile. For some pieces it looks stupid, and it's never necessary.

Polyphonist

#2141354 - 08/30/13 12:36 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: Polyphonist]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

HAHA!!! I so know what you mean... I've had so many of those! But it's true though - when you feel you've played like sh--, the last thing you want is to put on a goofy smile and bow like the queen of the world. My teacher gave me a whole lecture about this after one recital, he was so mad at me... it was all, "I don't give a **** if you think you played like ****, you smile graciously and bow properly, damn it! You are thanking people for taking the time to see you play and accepting their praise." etc etc. Ugh. In fact, I was almost so annoyed by the applause that they actually had to edit out my bowing in the videos....... for every single piece.......

You don't have to smile. For some pieces it looks stupid, and it's never necessary.

I know that.... I'm not an idiot. Like Prokofiev 6th sonata or something. I wasn't playing anything that heavy at said recital. Also, I think on the 2nd or 3rd bow it's okay to smile a bit - nicely, no matter the piece.

#2141358 - 08/30/13 12:39 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: Pogorelich.]
7000 Post Club Member

I know that.... I'm not an idiot. Like Prokofiev 6th sonata or something. I wasn't playing anything that heavy at said recital. Also, I think on the 2nd or 3rd bow it's okay to smile a bit - nicely, no matter the piece.

My point was, you don't have to smile at any time after any piece, and you certainly should NOT smile after finishing Opus 111 or the Chopin Opus 35.

Polyphonist

#2141360 - 08/30/13 12:44 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: Polyphonist]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

My point was, you don't have to smile at any time after any piece, and you certainly should NOT smile after finishing Opus 111 or the Chopin Opus 35.

Fine, be hostile to the audience after you're done then, Jesus.

#2141361 - 08/30/13 12:45 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: Pogorelich.]
7000 Post Club Member

Fine, be hostile to the audience after you're done then, Jesus.

The only way to be hostile to the audience is to not bow at all or to look murderous. There's a large spectrum.

Polyphonist

#2141362 - 08/30/13 12:46 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: laguna_greg]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
After playing I like to look down coldly at my audience, expressionless, distant. If I do smile, it's only a condescending twinge, as if to say: "This thing I just did, you could never do it."

-J

#2141365 - 08/30/13 12:52 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: beet31425]
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beet31425
After playing I like to look down coldly at my audience, expressionless, distant. If I do smile, it's only a condescending twinge, as if to say: "This thing I just did, you could never do it."
-J

There's a large difference between expressionless/distant/condescending and simply not putting on a big fake smile.

Polyphonist

#2141372 - 08/30/13 01:11 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: Polyphonist]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

-J

There's a large difference between expressionless/distant/condescending and simply not putting on a big fake smile.

It doesn't have to be fake smile I think on the 2nd bow and on, it is perfectly acceptable to smile.

#2141375 - 08/30/13 01:16 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: Pogorelich.]
7000 Post Club Member

-J

It doesn't have to be fake smile I think on the 2nd bow and on, it is perfectly acceptable to smile.

After finishing the Appassionata, or the Chopin 2nd?

Polyphonist

#2141381 - 08/30/13 01:28 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: Polyphonist]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

-J

Why not? It's fine to create the needed atmosphere after the piece is finished, but nothing wrong with being a little bit graceful after a while. Like I said, after the 2nd bow it's fine. I don't see the big dilemma here.

#2141384 - 08/30/13 01:29 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: laguna_greg]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

(And I thought at first you were talking about op. 111, not Appassionata?)

#2141385 - 08/30/13 01:32 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: beet31425]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York

That's what I do if I'm in a good mood. Otherwise I give them the finger.

#2141389 - 08/30/13 01:37 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: Mark_C]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA

grin

#2141394 - 08/30/13 01:43 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: Polyphonist]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I've only performed op.57 a couple times so far, in very informal settings. But when I finish that last movement, and I turn to the listeners, I'm feeling something like: "Oh my god! Did you feel it-- that intensity, drama, tragedy? What was that thing we all just experienced?" And sometimes the right way to acknowledge a shared experience is with a smile. Just to say: "Yes, I felt it too."

-Jason

#2141395 - 08/30/13 01:43 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: JoelW]
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JoelW

grin

That's what I do when I'm in a good mood. Otherwise I have the backstage assistants bring barrels of mud onto the stage and throw them into the audience.

Polyphonist

#2141399 - 08/30/13 01:47 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: Polyphonist]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JoelW

grin

That's what I do when I'm in a good mood. Otherwise I have the backstage assistants bring barrels of mud onto the stage and throw them into the audience.

You're all too nice. I usually set the piano on fire before filling the hall with profanities. After that I head to the bar.

#2141400 - 08/30/13 01:49 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Mark_C Offline

To moderators: Maybe 'sticky' this thread to make it a reference on how to relate to audiences? grin

#2141408 - 08/30/13 01:59 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: Mark_C]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

To moderators: Maybe 'sticky' this thread to make it a reference on how to relate to audiences? grin

One time in studio class a student finished playing something, and the teacher asked "What is your biggest enemy when you perform?" (in this case, the answer was "speed", as he sort of rushed through everything because of nerves). He answered "the audience".. hahaha!! Will never forget that.

#2141409 - 08/30/13 02:02 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Mark_C Offline

...."What is your biggest enemy when you perform?".....He answered "the audience".. hahaha!!

And of course if it's a concerto, the answer is the orchestra. ha

PDQ Bach did a good job calling it "Concerto for Piano vs. Orchestra." grin

#2141414 - 08/30/13 02:08 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: Mark_C]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

...."What is your biggest enemy when you perform?".....He answered "the audience".. hahaha!!

And of course if it's a concerto, the answer is the orchestra. ha

PDQ Bach did a good job calling it "Concerto for Piano vs. Orchestra." grin

Karl Haas, in his great old radio show "Adventures in Good Music", once made the point that while the "con" in "concerto" is often thought to mean "together" (as in "concerted effort"), it can just as easily mean "against" (as in "contra" and "conflict").

-J

#2141424 - 08/30/13 02:30 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: beet31425]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

-J

Are you the great (and late) Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli? wink

#2141548 - 08/30/13 08:39 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: bennevis]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
Originally Posted By: bennevis

-J

Are you the great (and late) Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli? wink

Please ben, he was hardly the only reference who did something like that.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2141572 - 08/30/13 10:33 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: laguna_greg]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
I love applause, thank you! Thank you.

(I also love the smell of grease paint.)

Thank you.

Thank you.

thank you.

#2141573 - 08/30/13 10:33 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I like flowers, too.

#2141574 - 08/30/13 10:34 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

THANK YOU! ENOUGH ALREADY!!! laugh

#2141575 - 08/30/13 10:35 PM Re: How do you Feel about Applause? [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Please be seated.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
10/21/14 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
10/21/14 07:31 PM
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Who's Online
120 registered (accordeur, A Guy, ajames, 38 invisible), 1361 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158403 Topics
2326214 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission