2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2132208 08/13/13 10:25 AM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Maybe someone here has an idea if with the analytic followed by the measured tremolos it is fine to have the number included in parentheses or if a pianist would just say "what does this mean" and turn the page?

This isn't intended as a replacement for the analytic in most instances but as a supplement, and of course in some music with rapid changes this might avoid using an analytic altogether and maintain clarity - the number with a one beat tremolo in 32nd notes could be "(12)" instead of "(8)" for instance.

Thanks in advance!

[Linked Image]

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
What do you mean by an analytic?

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88

The analytic is a written out presentation of a tremolo, as in the first bar, to give a guide for the remainder.

Some compositions have many of these, as with Liszt's 2nd Legend . . .

M.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Michael Sayers
The analytic is a written out presentation of a tremolo, as in the first bar, to give a guide for the remainder.
I've never come across that term for this. Googling only brings me to this thread. Is it a term your notation program uses?

Du holde Kunst...
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
Originally Posted by Michael Sayers
I've never come across that term for this. Googling only brings me to this thread. Is it a term your notation program uses?

It is just the word I use wink

M.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
You don't need the number at all. You need to trust that the pianist knows what to do with the measure. It's pretty obvious in this case. wink

And what's with the tempo decimal again? 87.25? Do you really expect anyone to follow that? I would wager all the gold in Fort Knox that if you listened to 10 different performances of Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto, you'd get 10 different tempos at every single tempo mark in the score. Why are you overly complicating the music in this way? Is there a specific/musical reason?

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
By using a three-stroke tremolo marking you have asked for 32nds just as clearly as you did in the first bar by writing notes with three beams.

The (32) is unnecessary and confusing. A number in that position would normally be the count of identical repeated bars.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
By using a three-stroke tremolo marking you have asked for 32nds just as clearly as you did in the first bar by writing notes with three beams.

The (32) is unnecessary and confusing. A number in that position would normally be the count of identical repeated bars.

I hope no-one dares to perform this music at q=87.24 instead of the authentic q=87.25 :-)

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat

I hope no-one dares to perform this music at q=87.24 instead of the authentic q=87.25 :-)

Thanks - with each iteration of the (32) that would make for a quite long composition!

The authentic tempo is q=87.251036, and depending on gyroscopic factors and weather pressure patterns it is + or - .02 wink

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
A number in that position would normally be the count of identical repeated bars.

Are you sure about this? A few days ago I did a quick review of Alkan's Le Preux, and there are in the score instances of the number "12" for 12 sixteenth note chords in two beats, only the twelves never are parenthesized.

Are the parentheses an issue?

M.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Wombat's correct. It's been a long time since I played music with vamps or extended repeats, but that's typically what it means. I rarely see it over a noted measure. Usually, the measure is written out once, and then a "repeat the previous measure" sign is used.. I'm used to seeing it as %. The number is usually over that measure. And of course, over rests, they usually just put the number without the parentheses.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Some times it means that. But usually the numbers are bold and rather larger.

BTW, in your example, the numbers are barely visible, because they are in the middle of the staves...

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Interesting that you say sometimes, Nikolas. I didn't want to say "always" and then end up being wrong -- it appears my choice was pertinent in this case! haha smile

What else can it mean?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Oh...

I didn't notice your post Derulux! Sorry.

Numbers above a beam, Italized mean a tuplet. Bolded they mean something else.

In this case there's a single beam per bar which makes every single number apply for the whole beam as well as the bar. And it's unnecessary. But since it's Italized and repeated it's not unclear what it is.

Numbers can also be a count (1, 2, 3, etc), or repeated bars as you guys mentioned.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
No worries! smile

And thanks for the answer. Nothing there I haven't seen before, but I think the recollection is going.. haha grin

And I also agree -- I wouldn't expect to play every measure 32 times. That would be excessive. Or, perhaps, Czerny.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
LOL @ the Czerny comment! grin

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Maybe there is a specific score that can be mentioned which has this use of numerals for a repeated bar?

The closest I've seen is a repeat section with between the staves "x3" or whatever number of repeats is desired - and without italics or parentheses.

M.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I wish I could send you to one guaranteed to have it, but the last time I played a score requiring that notation, I was playing lead trumpet in a pit orchestra, and it was 15 years ago.

And I still don't remember if it was in the pit, or in the jazz band I used to play in, that I saw these figures.

I'll see if I can dig something out of the attic that might have this kind of notation...

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Derulux
I'll see if I can dig something out of the attic that might have this kind of notation...

There isn't any need for that special effort!

Each of the two 64th note tremolos at the end of Thalberg's Fantasie Op. 33 has an "18" under it, but without parentheses and not in italics.

There should be a standard way to indicate the number of note stems in a tremolo of any duration without the number indicating other things about the music . . . but maybe there is no such standard.

I've become focused on this due to inconsistencies as with the 2nd Liszt Legend when an analytic for each section of tremolos is used or not, and when the sections of alternating notes are written out or not - and it seems that if one checks enough recordings unless the number of note stems is specified very firmly performers feel free to play a free tremolo instead which technically it otherwise is.

So with the Liszt Canzone in Annees de Pelerinage every tremolo is written out in full, and everyone plays it that way, I just don't think a composer should have to write out every tremolo in full and use four times as many pages to achieve that consistency of outcome.

(and of course it is a personal contradiction, because I don't care how anyone plays the music, but I at least like the score to reflect how I hear it!)

M.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I think what you may be referring to is the number of lines between the notes in the indicated tremolo. I'm used to reading a single line as 8th notes, a double line as 16th notes, a triple line as 32nd notes, etc. for whatever duration the note values indicate. I believe this is convention, but someone who is more of an expert may want to chime in there if I'm wrong.

Anyone who plays the tremolo free, in those instances, is usually ignoring what's written in the score (for which, whether it's good or bad, we'll have to refer to the Pianist Corner's discussion on sticking to the score wink ).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission