Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2140522 - 08/29/13 01:58 AM Beethoven sonata no. 1... Mozart?
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Listening to this sonata and in the 2nd and 4th movements are a couple melodies that I swear I've heard in Mozart somewhere. Do you know what I'm talking about?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2140527 - 08/29/13 02:12 AM Re: Beethoven sonata no. 1... Mozart? [Re: JoelW]
Michael Sayers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms län, Sverige
Hi Joel,

Which sonata no. 1 do you mean? The Op. 49 pair was composed before all the others and published later without Beethoven's permission . . .

Maybe you can elaborate on which melodies? Scriabin is right - one does hear Mendelssohn in Wagner! - so I am quite open to a similar idea with the Beethoven sonata no. 1 (whichever no. 1 sonata it is! - it is a bit confusing that these works are usually numbered out of chronological sequence).

M.

#2140530 - 08/29/13 02:21 AM Re: Beethoven sonata no. 1... Mozart? [Re: Michael Sayers]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Michael: Everybody knows which Beethoven Sonata is #1!
(Just look in any Vol. 1 of the sonatas, see which one is #1, and you have your answer.)
You're making it more complicated than it is. smile

Joel: I imagine that for the 4th mvt you mean the melody at 15:53 on here. But there are a couple of other places too.
For the 2nd mvt, I think there could be a number of places.

Edited by Mark_C (08/29/13 02:30 AM)

#2140534 - 08/29/13 02:29 AM Re: Beethoven sonata no. 1... Mozart? [Re: JoelW]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

What Mark said, Michael. smile

#2140535 - 08/29/13 02:31 AM Re: Beethoven sonata no. 1... Mozart? [Re: JoelW]
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Someone recently posted a video in which a lecture was given on the role of improvisation in Mozart. In it, the lecturer played a piece and pointed out that it was quite reminiscent of a particular melody in the (Pathetique?) sonata. I can't remember which piece it was, but as soon as he said it, it was totally obvious.

Whether composers did it to pay deliberate homage or it's more incidental to simply having had the prior masters' works drilled in their minds, it's hard to tell.

As for this particular instance, I don't know, but certainly Beethoven engaged in a not-inconsequential amount of overt musical "quoting" of even himself.
Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2140547 - 08/29/13 03:38 AM Re: Beethoven sonata no. 1... Mozart? [Re: JoelW]
Michael Sayers Offline
500 Post Club Member

I can't think of any exact matches with Mozart, maybe someone else here can do this?

That is the Beethoven slow movement that got me in trouble at school! Play it faster or get an "F" were the options presented to me (I chose a third option: withdrawal!).

It doesn't feel particularly Mozartean to me . . .

M.

#2140549 - 08/29/13 03:54 AM Re: Beethoven sonata no. 1... Mozart? [Re: JoelW]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
If we are talking about Beethoven's 1st Sonata Opus 2/1 ... which is dedicated to Papa Joseph Haydn.

At that time Beethoven was still trapped in the antiquated styles of his mentors Haydn and Mozart.

Only in Opus 13 (Pathetique) does Beethoven pin his true colours to the mast.

which are a

#2140562 - 08/29/13 05:26 AM Re: Beethoven sonata no. 1... Mozart? [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, finland
Originally Posted By: TwoSnowflakes
Someone recently posted a video in which a lecture was given on the role of improvisation in Mozart. In it, the lecturer played a piece and pointed out that it was quite reminiscent of a particular melody in the (Pathetique?) sonata. I can't remember which piece it was, but as soon as he said it, it was totally obvious.

Whether composers did it to pay deliberate homage or it's more incidental to simply having had the prior masters' works drilled in their minds, it's hard to tell.

As for this particular instance, I don't know, but certainly Beethoven engaged in a not-inconsequential amount of overt musical "quoting" of even himself.

You might be referring to the Adagio of the pathetique - there's a similar A flat section in the slow movement of Mozart's sonata in the very same key.

Many of these hommages MUST have been thought out well in advance...Brahms 1st sonata opens with allusions not only to Hammerklavier but to Waldstein as well. Ravel's Valses nobles start with exactly the same rhythm as the Schubert Valses nobles, just that the bar placement has been changed. Shostakovich's 2nd fugue subject (the one in a minor) has the same rhythm as Bach's 2nd fugue subject (in c minor) but with the bar-line displaced, again. Heck, the first prelude in the Shosta set starts with the very same notes as Bach's C major prelude! Brahms Schumann variations include a quotation from a song by Clara Schumann...etc etc etc. One could go on endlessly.

#2140694 - 08/29/13 12:09 PM Re: Beethoven sonata no. 1... Mozart? [Re: btb]
Michael Sayers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: btb
If we are talking about Beethoven's 1st Sonata Opus 2/1 ... which is dedicated to Papa Joseph Haydn.

At that time Beethoven was still trapped in the antiquated styles of his mentors Haydn and Mozart.

Only in Opus 13 (Pathetique) does Beethoven pin his true colours to the mast.

The Beethoven slow movements seem to have a broader, more monumental quality than those in Haydn and Mozart - even in the earlier Beethoven sonatas. For some reason this professor had a tremendous resistance to the expression of this in sound. Probably I would have handled the situation of being threatened with an "F" grade on the basis of something other than my piano skills more diplomatically if I had been older. I was hardly a teenager at the time . . . it seemed easiest and least confrontational to just walk straight to the administration offices and say I wanted out with full refund to my parents - and the administrators seemed to think this was the best solution for everyone involved as well!

M.

#2140852 - 08/29/13 04:32 PM Re: Beethoven sonata no. 1... Mozart? [Re: Michael Sayers]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
The melody Mark pointed out at 5:53 does sound and shape similar to Mozart K545 mvt.2......at least to my untrained ear.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2140899 - 08/29/13 06:26 PM Re: Beethoven sonata no. 1... Mozart? [Re: Mark_C]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Michael: Everybody knows which Beethoven Sonata is #1!
(Just look in any Vol. 1 of the sonatas, see which one is #1, and you have your answer.)
You're making it more complicated than it is. smile

Joel: I imagine that for the 4th mvt you mean the melody at 15:53 on here. But there are a couple of other places too.
For the 2nd mvt, I think there could be a number of places.

Mark, yes! That's one of the spots at least. And I just figured that one out. Sounds very much like K281 at 2:22 in this recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnJvgUY0Vts#t=2m22s

By the way, if you've ever wondered how some videos take you to a specific time, it's simple. Just add this to the end of your url: #t=(minutes number)m(seconds number)s

For example, 1:20 would be: #t=1m20s

3:23:13 would be #t=3h23m13s

Just thought I'd share... smile

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
105 registered (Atrys, aesop, AndrewJCW, AZ_Astro, 35 invisible), 1458 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75581 Members
42 Forums
156273 Topics
2295018 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
picking a fight: how many movements in op.110?
by beet31425
12 minutes 0 seconds ago
Old Wurlitzer (circa 1940s) baby grand, Worth Picking Up?
by Paul678
Today at 10:38 PM
Swamp Cooler and Air Conditioner- Use only One of them!
by Paul678
Today at 10:33 PM
Need progression lesson
by Maarkr
Today at 09:23 PM
What's "Héroïde-élégiaque"?
by Goomer Piles
Today at 09:01 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission