Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
114 registered (anamnesis, ABC Vermonter, 36251, Anita Potter, AZNpiano, accordeur, 38 invisible), 1447 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2140964 - 08/29/13 08:57 PM Andrei Gavrilov smashes Prokofiev 8 finale
D. S. F. Offline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoRJOcIz2Co

I found this after being directed to comments Gavrilov made on his facebook page about his relationship to Sviatoslav Richter. I realized I've never really listened to him, and I'm a bit shocked about how forcefully he demolishes this great piece (not to mention the piano), crushing it under this hands. What's with this guy? Does anybody like this?

Who do you all think?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2140978 - 08/29/13 09:33 PM Re: Andrei Gavrilov smashes Prokofiev 8 finale [Re: D. S. F.]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
He's a weirdo...Richter described him as being devilishly talented, and they did the Handel suites together. I don't recall Gavrilov having many positive things to say about Richter after he died, or am I incorrect?

Another weird thing about him was that recently, he was supposed to perform Rach 3 in Russia somewhere. The are two sides of the story. Gavrilov claimed that the orchestra and conductor were completely incompetent, and on the day of the performance, just didn't show up. Gavrilov posted his "explanation" on facebook shortly after. The other story, was that apparently Gavrilov could barely play the piece in rehearsal, and just didn't bother to show up to perform. Another pianist in the audience, I forgot his name, volunteered to perform Rach 3 right there on the spot.

I should include that Gavrilov was paid before he performed; he took the money and ran off with it.

As for this performance, it's pretty awful.

Edited by Kuanpiano (08/29/13 09:33 PM)
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2140980 - 08/29/13 09:39 PM Re: Andrei Gavrilov smashes Prokofiev 8 finale [Re: D. S. F.]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Here is a link to the story I just mentioned!

http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/2...n-the-hall.html
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2141005 - 08/29/13 10:31 PM Re: Andrei Gavrilov smashes Prokofiev 8 finale [Re: D. S. F.]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
He is one strange character. I've never liked his playing.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2141013 - 08/29/13 10:58 PM Re: Andrei Gavrilov smashes Prokofiev 8 finale [Re: D. S. F.]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I'll post his opinion Richter below, it's an interesting (and not very credible-sounding) read:

Edit: I've taken out the wall of text, but you can find it by scrolling through here:

https://www.facebook.com/AndreiGavrilov1?ref=profile

My basic reaction is that he's an egotistical wacko....

Edited by Kuanpiano (08/29/13 11:11 PM)
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2141017 - 08/29/13 11:07 PM Re: Andrei Gavrilov smashes Prokofiev 8 finale [Re: Kuanpiano]
D. S. F. Offline

Originally Posted By: D.S.F.
Who do you all think?

Haha, woops.

Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
Another weird thing about him was that recently, he was supposed to perform Rach 3 in Russia somewhere. The are two sides of the story. Gavrilov claimed that the orchestra and conductor were completely incompetent, and on the day of the performance, just didn't show up. Gavrilov posted his "explanation" on facebook shortly after. The other story, was that apparently Gavrilov could barely play the piece in rehearsal, and just didn't bother to show up to perform. Another pianist in the audience, I forgot his name, volunteered to perform Rach 3 right there on the spot.

Wow! I read it was Alexander Ghindin who replaced him - sort of an in my dreams hero saves the day situation, though perhaps considering everybody's stress, not the best thing to dream about. I kind of doubt Gavrilov couldn't play it knowing his reputation with the piece. And here is one way of solving the conductor problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcW6_4yHDsk

And other way is it just take over like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhNxPIxGcQw

Quite interesting ego.

#2141052 - 08/30/13 12:15 AM Re: Andrei Gavrilov smashes Prokofiev 8 finale [Re: D. S. F.]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
Do you think he and Richter ever had sex? Richter was gay by all accounts, closeted in the extreme because of Stalin etc., terribly unhappy about it, but simply couldn't or wouldn't defect to the West. And they did get awfully close for a while!

If they WERE lovers, it would explain the odd postmortem opinion...

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2141070 - 08/30/13 12:29 AM Re: Andrei Gavrilov smashes Prokofiev 8 finale [Re: D. S. F.]
D. S. F. Offline

Now that's rather shameless and indecent. Do you need detestable acts to explain a detestable ego?

#2141074 - 08/30/13 12:32 AM Re: Andrei Gavrilov smashes Prokofiev 8 finale [Re: D. S. F.]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
..well uhm, yeah...detestable...are you sure...

...since we're dishing nothing but gossip, it might as well stay in the gutter where it started...

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2141081 - 08/30/13 12:38 AM Re: Andrei Gavrilov smashes Prokofiev 8 finale [Re: D. S. F.]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Any other thoughts on his Prokofiev? I guess that piece is sort of what he's associated with, since he's toured with it a lot and there are several recordings of his on youtube.

It's interesting that he's a legend who seemed to sputter out like Pogorelich. He got crazy too, but it seems like the big difference between the two is their self-opinion..and how big Gavrilov's mouth is.
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2141089 - 08/30/13 12:48 AM Re: Andrei Gavrilov smashes Prokofiev 8 finale [Re: D. S. F.]
D. S. F. Offline

And gracefully as ever we're back to topic. Here's the full sonata also recent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyjluKmqiCg

#2141094 - 08/30/13 12:51 AM Re: Andrei Gavrilov smashes Prokofiev 8 finale [Re: D. S. F.]
D. S. F. Offline

Originally Posted By: D. S. F.
And gracefully as ever we're back to topic. Here's the full sonata also recent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyjluKmqiCg

(well with gaps...)

(somehow I hit quote instead of edit...)

Edited by D. S. F. (08/30/13 12:52 AM)

#2141095 - 08/30/13 12:52 AM Re: Andrei Gavrilov smashes Prokofiev 8 finale [Re: D. S. F.]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Oh yeah I listened to a bit of that! (the end of the exposition, and the development). He was doing the slow bit alright....then I was wondering what on earth was happening.

Very...unique body movements....

Edited by Kuanpiano (08/30/13 12:52 AM)
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2141100 - 08/30/13 12:58 AM Re: Andrei Gavrilov smashes Prokofiev 8 finale [Re: D. S. F.]
D. S. F. Offline

First movement is not bad. I still remember a recording of Gilels I thought was the best ever. I gave it to another pianist in 2004, and have never seen it since, alas. The opening is so pastoral...sets up for quite a contrast in the development. It is my favorite Prokofiev sonata.

#2141101 - 08/30/13 01:02 AM Re: Andrei Gavrilov smashes Prokofiev 8 finale [Re: D. S. F.]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

^^ Any chance it's this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7xxf_DGkBw

This is his live (not studio) recording, and it's wild...it's fantastic and I'm so lucky to have it on CD as well. This is my absolute favourite recording of this piece by far.

It's my favourite Prokofiev sonata as well! I hope to be able to play it one day...
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2141114 - 08/30/13 01:21 AM Re: Andrei Gavrilov smashes Prokofiev 8 finale [Re: Kuanpiano]
D. S. F. Offline

This is his live (not studio) recording, and it's wild...it's fantastic and I'm so lucky to have it on CD as well. This is my absolute favourite recording of this piece by far.

It's my favourite Prokofiev sonata as well! I hope to be able to play it one day...

Not this exact one, though this is great. It was probably a studio recording, part of Philips Great Pianists of the 20th Century series. 3rd Sonata was also on there, and Petrushka. I cannot remember what else.

#2141126 - 08/30/13 01:43 AM Re: Andrei Gavrilov smashes Prokofiev 8 finale [Re: D. S. F.]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
The first recording in this thread is quite bad. It's got the force the movement needs, but there's so much pounding... ouch!

The stories about the pianist do not really impress me. I actually know a pianist pretty much like that. Huge talent, enormous ego, can't keep his mouth shut! And he's constantly complaining why he's got no job. I haven't spoken to him, but when you promote yourself by saying "Come here, I'll teach you what all the other idiot teacher won't. You won't be like me, but you'll come a bit closer!" it doesn't exactly work! :P

#2141268 - 08/30/13 09:34 AM Re: Andrei Gavrilov smashes Prokofiev 8 finale [Re: D. S. F.]
asiantraveller101 Offline

Loc: ME
I had the opportunity to attend his performance of Prokofiev First Concerto many years ago. At one point of his performance, I believe the coda, he literally fell off the bench from excitement, and perhaps exaggeration. The entire audience, including me, gasped!! He definitely made a "statement" since I have never forgotten that day nor his performance.

#2141314 - 08/30/13 11:16 AM Re: Andrei Gavrilov smashes Prokofiev 8 finale [Re: D. S. F.]
Dwscamel Offline
500 Post Club Member

I hope what has been said about Gavrilov is untrue; I enjoy some of his playing and it's a shame.

Edited by Dwscamel (08/30/13 12:52 PM)

#2141350 - 08/30/13 12:31 PM Re: Andrei Gavrilov smashes Prokofiev 8 finale [Re: laguna_greg]
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: laguna_greg
..well uhm, yeah...detestable...are you sure...

...since we're dishing nothing but gossip, it might as well stay in the gutter where it started...

To the extent that we all collectively think it's in poor taste to suggest romantic conflict as a possible explanation for why one person has an otherwise inexplicably negative opinion of someone else, I just thought I'd point out that we probably ought not to shed too many tears for Gavrilov, as he is certainly not above it himself. He, in trying to conjecture as to why Richter was seemingly callous towards Milstein, did the exact same thing:

"...maybe there was some gay back-story between the colleagues? ... Milstein lived with his wife and family and was extremely private about his personal life. Slava hated closet gays of that sort."

And that's not really even the most interesting part. Taken as a whole, all the excerpts from his book appear to be a lot of conjecture and gossip, and he's the big hero through it all, so I think we shouldn't shed too much of a tear for Gavrilov. Whether it be for abandoning concerts or his own romantic dalliances, as long as the point is not to simply gossip about his sexuality, which I find inappropriate no matter what, I'm not sure we should worry too much about a thread generally conjecturing about Gavrilov's motivations in abandoning the concert, even if it's a bit gossip-mongering, simply because it is in no way something Gavrilov himself appears to be above. And to the extent we went "too far" in conjecturing about Richter and Gavrilov, I just wanted to point out that Gavrilov himself conjectured about Richter and Milstein.

(Edited, and then to add: Sorry, I see the thread has moved on and I don't mean to bring it back simply to dish about Gavrilov. Just saying that I don't think it was wrong, necessarily, to do it (unless it's simply to gossip about sexuality) and we can continue or move on for reasons other than whether or not it's unfair to Gavrilov.)

Edited by TwoSnowflakes (08/30/13 01:27 PM)
Tchaikovsky, Mars: Chante de l'alouette Op. 37a No. 3

#2142052 - 09/01/13 12:23 AM Re: Andrei Gavrilov smashes Prokofiev 8 finale [Re: D. S. F.]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: D. S. F.

Not this exact one, though this is great. It was probably a studio recording, part of Philips Great Pianists of the 20th Century series. 3rd Sonata was also on there, and Petrushka. I cannot remember what else.

Then it must be this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOoR2JsN9qI

I prefer the live one because he does a lot of impulsive things that sound great. The first movement development is terrifying, even more so with all of the wrong notes (which I really enjoy). However, I'll give the studio one another listen.
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2142066 - 09/01/13 01:03 AM Re: Andrei Gavrilov smashes Prokofiev 8 finale [Re: Kuanpiano]
D. S. F. Offline

In truth I had not heard the live performance before you linked it, and my thoughts of the other recording are memories almost 10 years old. I typically greatly prefer live recordings to studio recordings. Having a present audience to receive what an artist is giving, and the giving back of the audience adds an element not possible in the studio. I have several of Richter's Prokoviev 8ths, both live and studio, and the difference is remarkable (studio much more subdued). I was listening to these in times I was working on the sonata, and that's when the Gilels really stuck out to me. Ha, I had a teacher then who loathed both Richter and Gilels and wasn't too fond of their influence on my approach to the piece...what is a boy to do?

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to learn everything and anything about piano?
by MrMusicianship
12/22/14 07:22 PM
is my piano tunable
by d3c0
12/22/14 05:45 PM
SSHD running VST
by daz100
12/22/14 05:01 PM
do you recommend further service?
by ShannonG
12/22/14 04:34 PM
Is this now real enough?
by Philip_Johnston
12/22/14 04:21 PM
Forum Stats
77398 Members
42 Forums
160067 Topics
2350634 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission