Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2140982 - 08/29/13 09:41 PM Repeats in Beethoven
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
How important are repeats in Beethoven's sonatas? Did he construct his sonatas in a way that the repeats are crucial, or can they simply be taken out like much of Mozart's? I'm aware that the answer is probably different depending on the sonata but in this case I would be asking specifically about op. 2/1.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2140983 - 08/29/13 09:45 PM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: JoelW]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Always take them. Always, all of them. Never ignore them.

I don't know about Mozart's repeats, but it's a bit questionable to take them out. Is that the standard performing practice these days?

Concerning repeats, I think that when you're performing for people who are not familiar with the work, repeating is a good idea, even when the work is technically weaker without it (I'm thinking of Chopin's 3rd, which I'm hopefully going to perform soon).
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata no.1

#2140984 - 08/29/13 09:46 PM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: Kuanpiano]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
...when the work is technically weaker without it (I'm thinking of Chopin's 3rd...

You think the Chopin 3rd is weaker without the repeat? I violently disagree.

Polyphonist

#2140985 - 08/29/13 09:47 PM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: JoelW]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

It's up in the air for a lot of people. However, I'm planning performing it with the repeat.

#2140986 - 08/29/13 09:53 PM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: JoelW]
pianorigami Online   sleepy

Loc: United States
For a lot of competitions, they encourage NOT to take repeats, or even strictly forbid them. If you're preparing it for a competition, there's no point in practicing with the repeat; however, if you're learning it for a recital, or something similar where the audience appreciates the music, by all means, take it!
3) Prokofiev Sonata Op. 83
4) Bach Prelude and Fugue in f# minor, WTC II
5) Grieg Concerto Op. 16, 1st Movement

#2140990 - 08/29/13 10:00 PM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: Kuanpiano]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Always take them. Always, all of them. Never ignore them.

I don't know about Mozart's repeats, but it's a bit questionable to take them out. Is that the standard performing practice these days?

Don't really know. I heard K330 by Uchida first and the discovered Horowitz's and was a little stunned at first when he didn't play ANY of the repeats but after a couple more listens I started to strongly agree with Horowitz's decision. Now every time I hear the regular version I think the repeats sound so forced. I also feel that way about the Beethoven sonata. Certain repeats after what should be the ending cadence feel so forced and displeasing to my ear. Hey - I can always take out the repeats at home for my pleasure. grin

Congratulations on playing the Chopin sonata BTW.

#2140992 - 08/29/13 10:01 PM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: JoelW]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Read up on "sonata form."

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2140994 - 08/29/13 10:05 PM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
...when the work is technically weaker without it (I'm thinking of Chopin's 3rd...

Agreed. It drags on with the repeat imo. Don't get me wrong, I love the exposition, but when it's been played through once, I want to hear the development section!

#2141003 - 08/29/13 10:30 PM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: JoelW]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Horowitz, Joel, is NOT the pianist you want for your model with Mozart, or Beethoven. His Beethoven, especially, was not good. That said, I'm quite surprised that you're even asking about whether it is proper, or not, to take repeats.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2141006 - 08/29/13 10:34 PM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: JoelW

Agreed. It drags on with the repeat imo. Don't get me wrong, I love the exposition, but when it's been played through once, I want to hear the development section!

Agree extremely on all counts.

That exposition is one of my very very favorite things in music. It's one of my very favorite things of anything. But repeating it ____s up the piece. smile

I agree with taking all repeats in Beethoven. I mean, I'm not sure if I agree with it in an "on-principle" kind of way; it's just that I can't think of one where it seems to make sense not to take it.

Edited by Mark_C (08/29/13 10:37 PM)
Edit Reason: Adding the part about Beethoven

#2141007 - 08/29/13 10:36 PM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: Mark_C]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C

Agree extremely on all counts.

That exposition is one of my very very favorite things in music. It's one of my very favorite things of anything. But repeating it ____s up the piece. smile

Do you think the repeat ____s up the Schubert Bflat, or 959? Just curious...

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

#2141009 - 08/29/13 10:38 PM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: JoelW]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Love the repeat in D960! You go through the exposition the second time wondering what on earth is going to happen in the development...

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with D959...

Edited by Kuanpiano (08/29/13 10:38 PM)

#2141010 - 08/29/13 10:41 PM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: stores]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: stores
Do you think the repeat ____s up the Schubert Bflat, or 959? Just curious...

First of all please see what I added to the above post. (It might blunt whatever outrage you might feel about what I might say about the Schubert.) grin

edit: I wrote this next thing mistakenly thinking that 959 was the B-flat. (I realized it when I saw Kuan's post.) So, this next thing is about the B-flat:

I'm not as clear on the Schubert. I personally would never take it when performing it publicly (not that I've done it -- just talking hypothetically) smile ....but when playing it for myself I think I'd ALWAYS want to take it.

In hearing performances by others, I'm generally very glad that they don't; I don't think I've ever been to a performance where anyone did. But with certain few performers, I would hope that they would.

So....about 959, which was what you asked about:

Again, I wouldn't put it nearly as strongly as I did about the Chopin. But I do prefer it without the repeat, far more so than with 960.

So, for what it's worth, I guess there's sort of a "hierarchy" for me (all IMO, all subjective, and all subject to laughter and mocking, perhaps deserved): ha

Beethoven: Don't even think of not taking repeats
Schubert D. 960: I love the repeat, wouldn't want to do without it when playing it for myself but wouldn't 'inflict' it on any audience
Schubert D. 959: Please omit the repeat but I won't drop dead if you take it
Chopin Sonata #3: I'll drop dead if you take it. smile

Edited by Mark_C (08/29/13 10:48 PM)

#2141012 - 08/29/13 10:56 PM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: stores]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Horowitz, Joel, is NOT the pianist you want for your model with Mozart, or Beethoven. His Beethoven, especially, was not good. That said, I'm quite surprised that you're even asking about whether it is proper, or not, to take repeats.

That's your opinion. I love Horowitz's Mozart. To me, it is the best. smile

And I really don't think it's a question to be surprised at. If major competitions ban repeats, why should I not question the validity of certain repeats on the notion that they may be a result of pure convention?

Edited by JoelW (08/29/13 11:07 PM)
Edit Reason: added the bottom paragraph

#2141014 - 08/29/13 11:00 PM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: Mark_C]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Do you think the repeat was just a conventional thing?

#2141015 - 08/29/13 11:03 PM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: JoelW]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Basic question. Why do composers write repeats in sonata form structures? I understand why in da capo structures, especially in the baroque era, that allow for enhanced ornamentaion in the repeat, and in most cases are needed to get you back to the original key.

#2141020 - 08/29/13 11:15 PM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Offline

That exposition [i.e. 1st mvt of Chopin Sonata #3] is one of my very very favorite things in music. It's one of my very favorite things of anything. But repeating it ____s up the piece. smile
Do you think the repeat was just a conventional thing?

Yes.

#2141025 - 08/29/13 11:29 PM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: JoelW]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

And I really don't think it's a question to be surprised at. If major competitions ban repeats, why should I not question the validity of certain repeats on the notion that they may be a result of pure convention?

It's not really just an opinion... his Mozart, and Beethoven, are terrible. The fact that you like his Mozart brings me back to the point about you even questioning the validity of repeats, which, obviously, you missed the point on.

♪ ≠ $

#2141029 - 08/29/13 11:34 PM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: stores]
Mark_C Offline

Speaking as a huge Horowitz fan, I agree that he's not particularly a model for Mozart or Beethoven, but this:

....It's not really just an opinion... his Mozart, and Beethoven, are terrible.

....is, at best, just an opinion, and more likely I'd say, pretty extreme.

Quote:
The fact that you like his Mozart brings me back to the point about you even questioning the validity of repeats, which, obviously, you missed the point on.

I'm with you on the repeats, but I'm not ashamed to say that I'm with Joel in loving Horowitz's Mozart.

#2141031 - 08/29/13 11:39 PM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: stores]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

It's not really just an opinion
... his Mozart, and Beethoven, are terrible.

Wrong.

Quote:
The fact that you like his Mozart brings me back to the point about you even questioning the validity of repeats, which, obviously, you missed the point on.

Did you even make a point? Honestly, I even looked back at your post to make sure before I wrote this. I don't see a point, all I see is you stating that Horowitz is not the model to use for Mozart and Beethoven. You didn't provide any real substance behind that statement. Please inform me of what you mean. And please, don't tell me to go do my homework as a cop-out! wink

#2141034 - 08/29/13 11:43 PM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I'm not familiar with Horowitz's Mozart, but I don't imagine he'd play it particularly well.

Polyphonist

#2141044 - 08/30/13 12:00 AM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Offline

I'm not familiar with Horowitz's Mozart, but I don't imagine he'd play it particularly well.

Yeah, it's just "terrible." grin

Maybe take a taste of this:

#2141046 - 08/30/13 12:01 AM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: Mark_C]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

The worst!!

#2141048 - 08/30/13 12:07 AM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

The worst!!

Not the worst, but I don't like it. One thing I do like, though, is how he brings out the bass at 2:29.

Polyphonist

#2141054 - 08/30/13 12:18 AM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Offline

The worst!!

Yes indeed -- it stinks!!! ha

This really is related to the discussion on another thread (which I avoided like the plague) about what "musical" means.

To me, anyone who says flat-out something like that Horowitz's Mozart is terrible is just showing a rigid and limited view of music. What it means is that Horowitz isn't following that person's strong views on what Mozart playing should be, and (I guess) on how scores should be observed -- and that the person isn't allowing for different meaningful ways.

I can see all kinds of things that Horowitz isn't doing, and I can see ways in which he violates certain notions of what is correct. But I also see much that is extremely wonderful, and I think it's GREAT -- despite what's not there. I also happen to like it. smile

I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy and greatly admire Mozart performances that 'purists' would hold up as better models. I'm not sure I'd like any of them better than Horowitz's, and I suspect that some of them would put me to sleep.

#2141058 - 08/30/13 12:22 AM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Even if I abandon all my views about "what Mozart playing should be," and look at this performance completely abstractly, it is still not to my taste. I wouldn't like it as Bach, I wouldn't like it as Beethoven, and I don't like it as Mozart. (Of course, this is all relative.)

Polyphonist

#2141060 - 08/30/13 12:22 AM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: Mark_C]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy and greatly admire Mozart performances that 'purists' would hold up as better models.

Hmm - did we sneak in a change from _________________ to "purists?" grin

Polyphonist

#2141061 - 08/30/13 12:23 AM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Offline

Even if I abandon all my views about "what Mozart playing should be," and look at this performance completely abstractly, it is still not to my taste....

NO PROBLEM!!!

It would only be a problem if you also saw fit to say that it's no good.

Hmm - did we sneak in a change....

Yes.
I made a mistake in including any personal reference, and I took it out.
I'd appreciate if you take it out of your post too.

#2141064 - 08/30/13 12:25 AM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: Mark_C]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Even if I abandon all my views about "what Mozart playing should be," and look at this performance completely abstractly, it is still not to my taste....

NO PROBLEM!!!

Hmm - did we sneak in a change....

Yes.
I made a mistake in including any personal reference, and I took it out.
I'd appreciate if you take it out of your post too.

You're still editing a mile a minute. ha

Polyphonist

#2141069 - 08/30/13 12:28 AM Re: Repeats in Beethoven [Re: Mark_C]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

NO PROBLEM!!!

Although I tend to agree with stores on most subjects, I think what he often misses is the fact that there is a large spectrum between no good and excellent. So either he deeply admires something, or it's awful. Usually, it's awful. grin

Polyphonist

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
128 registered (accordeur, AndresD, ando, 36251, 39 invisible), 1548 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156123 Topics
2292616 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Halloween Fantasy
by Axtremus
9 minutes 59 seconds ago
Visited Yamaha's Flagship Store Today
by biasa199
12 minutes 56 seconds ago
Tag!
by Axtremus
13 minutes 28 seconds ago
Things are not working out for me
by Teodor
21 minutes 6 seconds ago
UVI has a sale on 5 grand piano sounds
by Morodiene
35 minutes 1 second ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission