2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Everyone,

The subject of jazz pianists came up in another post and I am interested to know what other members think of the efforts originating with pianist Jacques Loussier such as:

J.S. Bach - Air on the G String
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14AhD3xdoMk

Chopin - Nocturnes Op. 9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVTR-9HyjPA

And also involving other pianists, such as the first 12 minutes of this Dave Brubeck Quartet link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBCUaQeDPGg

M.

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
I can't comment much on Loussier himself not having been familiar with him before you brought him up, but the efforts to "modernize," or improvise over, works of the past (as well as those of the present) didn't originate with Jacques Loussier. I remember reading once about a journalist who gave a concert Liszt once gave a rave review, mentioning in one part how he (Liszt) embellished - on-the-spot - a piece of Handel's with the "most beautiful harmonies". A good short summary of the great composers' experiences with improvisation can be read here: http://ericbarnhill.wordpress.com/facts-about-improvisation/

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Loussier usually seems tasteful and intelligent enough to me not to be outright offensive. As jazz, it's a little too unadventurous to get me very interested, though.

I'm not sure how to explain why, but jazzing up classical music always seems to have a kitschy aura about it. Sometimes that bothers me; other times, not so much.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
In principle, I don't have a problem with jazzers jazzing up classical tunes - after all, few jazzers come up with decent original tunes of their own wink .

But if you're going to jazz a classical tune up, do it whole-heartedly, like Leszek Mozdzer did with Chopin, and (in parts) Uri Caine with Bach and Mahler. Loussier's often saccharine treatment is just ladling extra sugary syrup on something that cannot withstand such treatment - his Air on a G string is especially nauseating....

If music be the food of love, play on!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr

I'm not sure how to explain why, but jazzing up classical music always seems to have a kitschy aura about it. Sometimes that bothers me; other times, not so much.

I think it can work very well in Bach, if it's done right. The arrangements by the Swingle Singers are among my favorite listening. Jazzers have been doing that since the 1930s I believe.

But for other composers, and especially Chopin, I don't think it works well at all.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You either like it, or you don't. If anything, braiding two genres together can get young or new listeners to become interested in listening to either genre extensively. I will agree that it works well with some compositions and not others.

I credit The Modern Jazz Quartet's "Blues on Bach" with sparking my interest in Bach, along with "Switched on Bach" (performed on a Moog Synthesizer). Give a listen. It may surprise you. I still listen to both.

Barbara
...without music, no life...
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Here was a fun bit that was posted in the forums awhile back.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Barbara,

Switched on Bach was the first classical album I ever listened to as a kid. I still love it.

Thank you for reminding me!

I tend to like jazz versions of things if done well. I have several Loussier and Bolling albums that I like, and I've played some Bolling as well. Art Tatum's Dvorak is also amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYcZGPLAnHA

On the flip side, I'm also a big fan of the classified Beatles albums by John Bayless.

And the rock/electronica versions of Mussorgsky and Holst by Emerson Lake and Palmer.

And Wendy Carlos and Don Dorsey's electronic treatments of Bach.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kreisler

On the flip side, I'm also a big fan of the classified Beatles albums by John Bayless.

And the rock/electronica versions of Mussorgsky and Holst by Emerson Lake and Palmer.

And Wendy Carlos and Don Dorsey's electronic treatments of Bach.

No Tomita?!

ACK! Can't believe I forgot TOMITA!

Yeah, I went through a big electronic phase in high school. Jean-Michel Jarre, The Art of Noise, Laurie Anderson, Kraftwerk, etc...

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
D
D
Originally Posted by Michael Sayers
Hi Everyone,

The subject of jazz pianists came up in another post and I am interested to know what other members think of the efforts originating with pianist Jacques Loussier such as:

J.S. Bach - Air on the G String
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14AhD3xdoMk

Chopin - Nocturnes Op. 9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVTR...tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBCUaQeDPGg

M.

I like all of these and no longer have a problem with the mixture of classical music with the jazz idiom. Isn't this what is now known as 'classical crossover'?

rk

Music Teacher (Piano/Theory/Musicianship)
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
As jazz, it's a little too unadventurous to get me very interested, though.

Exactly! And my problem with a lot of jazz generally. It seems so unadventurous these days!

The best jazzified piece I ever heard was a version of Chopin's op.25/4 etude. It started normal, and kept launching into super-fast stride piano. If you think how that etude goes, you can almost imagine it.

-J

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
ACK! Can't believe I forgot TOMITA!

Yeah, I went through a big electronic phase in high school. Jean-Michel Jarre, The Art of Noise, Laurie Anderson, Kraftwerk, etc...

Any thoughts on Vangelis, such as with this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGl3041zhAU

I found this interview with Vangelis on Al Jazeera from January of last year to be quite interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K0kiYSStZM

M.

Yeah, Vangelis' music became quite popular after Chariots of Fire was released. I still have my original Opera Sauvage CD I bought in the early 80's. smile

www.pianoped.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Awesome! I never heard it sound better! Thanks for this!

Barbara
...without music, no life...
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beet31425

The best jazzified piece I ever heard was a version of Chopin's op.25/4 etude. It started normal, and kept launching into super-fast stride piano. If you think how that etude goes, you can almost imagine it.

-J

This?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
Originally Posted by beet31425

-J

This?

Yes!!!! I LOVE this. Thanks so much for finding it!

-Jason

E
E
My favorite is Bill Evans' take on Valse by J.S. Bach. His jazz trio actually adds something to the music that wasn't there before - a rare feat indeed:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tnvMoSCFQeE[/video]

Bill could play both WTC books at an early age, and his touch and sensitivity show in this performance. Enjoy!

Last edited by erichlof; 09/01/13 01:25 AM.
B
BDB Offline
B
An example of one of the best pianists to combine classical music into the jazz genre, Dorothy Donegan.

Semipro Tech
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission