Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2141914 - 08/31/13 05:50 PM September Piano Bar
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Well, it’s 1st September in my time zone.

I was saddened to hear the news that Linda Ronstadt has Parkinson’s disease and can no longer sing. So, I decided to learn this song, which I have always loved, as a small tribute to her and the fond memories I have during the 70s of sitting with a friend drinking wine and listening to her. I wish that I could play the piano part as Andrew Gold does on the record but alas it is beyond me. I don’t do the song justice but … here it is.

Heart Like a Wheel

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2142055 - 09/01/13 12:29 AM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Nicely done Newman. You always make everything musical. That's all that matters. Don't matter to me how simple or sophisticated something is. It must be music. You hold that truth well.

I hadn't heard about Linda Ronstadt yet. Sad. I had a recording of her doing old songs. I think she did it in the early 80's. Extremely well done. It was one of those special mastered recordings. Expensive. Showed her as a real singer. Not just a screamer.

I'm about to jump over the line into Sept. here. The summer went quick.

#2142094 - 09/01/13 03:07 AM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

great stuff Newman, very tender and heartfelt.

#2142117 - 09/01/13 05:06 AM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Now, I’m not trying to hog the bar but I just had to post this … probably a little pleased with myself I’ll admit.

Paul McCartney’s new single “New” is out soon but available to download today/yesterday. So, I downloaded it, learnt it and dashed off a recording of it – today (probably while all you people in the US and UK were sleeping). A little rough and simplified, of course, but it is so reminiscent of The Beatles in the Magical Mystery Tour (eg Hello Goodbye, Penny Lane) era I just had to do it ...

New

#2142118 - 09/01/13 05:06 AM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks, Earl of Mar, rnaple

#2142262 - 09/01/13 01:17 PM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Newman - "Heart Like a Wheel" A great performance as always and a nice gesture of you to learn this piece as a tribute!

"New" Did you learn this piece that fast? It must be great to create a cover BEFORE the original is out. Your singing and playing is top notch as always! Thanks for sharing!

#2142269 - 09/01/13 01:34 PM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

My piece for the month is "The Grace of Undómiel" by Howard Shore from the movie The Lord of the Rings. I learned this piece by ear. The difficulty with this piece is to play it really slow...

Edited by Amaruk (09/01/13 01:43 PM)

#2142289 - 09/01/13 02:24 PM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Newman, how can you learn songs so quickly?! Definitely, "New" could be taken from any old Beatles album from what I know. Nice beat!

Amaruk, I was looking forward to the piano bar so I could listen to your playing. Beautiful.

I have finally managed to record a song from Alfred's book 3 that was giving me a hard time with all those black keys. Timing/synchronization could be better, but here it is:

Jazz Ostinato in C# minor

#2142297 - 09/01/13 02:40 PM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Newman Aye, they`re popping off one by one . . same as the rest of us really! Lovely rendition. The 70`s and 80`s were great times for good music. . . the 1870`s and 80`s weren`t bad either . .

Ther Magical Mystery Tour was unbeatable! And then came . . . Sgt Pepper! Best album ever. Just haven`t got round to buying it yet . . . .my birthday`s comin` up. How convenient!

Edited by peterws (09/01/13 02:44 PM)

""

#2142308 - 09/01/13 03:03 PM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Amaruk]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Amaruk Very nice, man. I thought to meself "Here is an uncommonly in-tune acoustic. . ." then I saw the light . . .You look like you enjoy this music!

""

#2142425 - 09/01/13 06:51 PM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Can you believe it? It's September already and I never made it to the August Piano Bar. How time flies.

Oh well.

Newman, well done as usual. You combine your vocals and piano playing very naturally, each complementing the other. Good stuff.

Amaruk, that was exquisite. I too sometimes find it difficult to play a piece at a steady slow tempo - every tense chord makes me speed up. You were rock steady from first note to last, well done.

Sinophilia, those ostinatos are so hard to play, they don't come naturally. It takes a lot of hand independence, but I can see you have been working at it, and doing very well indeed. Nice playing.

My piece this month is Sophisticated Lady, by Duke Ellington. I am working from a lead sheet but doing my own thing with it.

Sophisticated Lady

Ed

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#2142450 - 09/01/13 07:30 PM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Inlanding Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Newman
Heart Like a Wheel~ Such a sad, heart-felt ballad. Yes, there's justice done with this tune, Newman. Great work!
New~ really does have the feel of Penny Lane. It's a pretty quick tempo, too.

Amaruk~ Great work leaning this Lord of the Rings piece by ear. It's short and sweet. Thank you for your music!

Sinophilia~ great and steady boogie lines in the left hand with those blues licks thrown in. I think it's the first boogie blues tune I've heard in the key of C#-min. Very nice playing, indeed!

Ed~ very nice, simple lines and great chords. I always like your sense of time and the pauses (might have been thinking of where to go next) were perfect. You've got great skills to bring out the music like that.

Glen

March piano audio
https://app.box.com/s/evl3yyp1kj52ve8l069u

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#2142460 - 09/01/13 07:44 PM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sinophilia - That was great!! Your performance was really bursting with energy!! It seems like a great workout for the fingers at the same time…. I bet you get tired quickly with this piece. Great job on the steady rhythm too!

Riddler - What a sophisticated and entertaining arrangement Ed!! I loved it! You absolutely nailed it in this performance! Thanks for sharing!

#2142490 - 09/01/13 08:51 PM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
1000 Post Club Member

Newman another great tune. Mr McCartney still popping them out after all these years. Well played and sung as usual and well done on the fast turn around.

Amaruk A very gentle piece wonderfully played

#2142496 - 09/01/13 09:06 PM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
1000 Post Club Member

sinophilia your version is better than the CD version of Alfred's book 3. Impeccable timing great stuff

Riddler great playing of a classic and improvising too, how talented. Makes me want to work harder.

#2142643 - 09/02/13 02:58 AM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
sinophilia Offline

Riddler, that was lovely! So elegant and so perfectly suited to the time and feel of the song.

Yes, that ostinato was hard. When I added the RH, my left pinky would invariably miss the C# key when going up from G#. I practiced the LH alone at crazy speeds, with eyes closed, with relaxed shoulder, etc... but it still happens. I think somehow the LH wants to follow the RH and forgets the right distances between the keys. I wanted to record this for the last recital but it was just getting worse, so I gave it a rest.

#2142663 - 09/02/13 04:39 AM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Amaruk - A beautiful piece. Very emotive. Well played.
Sinpohilia – Well done. I haven’t mastered that degree of LH/RH independence
Riddler – Nicely done. Big sounding piano.

And yes, I did, ‘New’ in a day. About half an hour of continuous replays to hear and work out the chords followed by about at least a dozen run throughs playing along with the song, about the same on my own as I simplified the arrangement and then half a dozen takes until I got one without any glaring errors. A method I learnt decades ago as a guitar player and rehearsing in a band – keep playing it until you have played it three times in a row without mistakes and you can say you’ve got it. I play it a bit fast, though.

But if you listen you will notice how essentially simple the chord progressions in each part of the song are.

The verse essentially follows a pattern favoured by Lennon and McCartney both together and individually in songs written on piano (as ‘New’ obviously was to my ears). That is, where the verse starts on a major chord followed by what I think of as a progressive movement down the keyboard starting with the root of the first major. Sometimes a tone, sometimes a semitone. Creating a seventh, minor, or major etc on the way down. It varies a little depending on the song but the concept is used a lot and not just by Lennon - McCartney. When you know and recognise the pattern the detail is easier to fill in.

The chorus and middle too are very simple. In pop, for example, moving to the relative minor (as ‘New’ does) is very common. I’ll happily send a chord chart to anyone who wants it. Or any chord chart to the songs I have posted.

I hope that helps.

#2142666 - 09/02/13 04:43 AM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

In Landing - Yes, Heart Like a Wheel is a truly sad song. I felt the full emotional power of it as I sang it.

#2142714 - 09/02/13 08:56 AM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
kenjazz Offline

Loc: Massachussetts, USA
Riddler - You really kept true to the period feel with Sophisticated Lady. I felt transported back to 1932. It sounded great.

Newman - So sad to hear about Linda Ronstadt. I remember having her poster on my wall along with Donna Summer (an unlikely pair). Heart Like A Wheel was a sweet sounding tribute. New has that classic sound, and now I'm going to have to go out and download the original.

Amaruk - Beautiful sound and production quality on The Grace of Undomiel. Did you record that in a hall, or is that part of the Amaruk post-production magic?

Sinophilia - you were locked in on the bass during jazz Ostinato in C#m! Not at all easy to do. I dont even try anymore for that length of an entire song. Great job.

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+

#2142814 - 09/02/13 01:33 PM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Amaruk]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Amaruk, that was so nice. thumb How did you get those images to appear in the reflection of your fallboard? Nice effect.

Newman
, you are like a machine... (a highly musical one)... the way you turn these out. I mean that in the nicest way.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2142821 - 09/02/13 01:45 PM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Riddler]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Sinophilia, you got my toes tapping. Good job.

Ed, a sophisticated Sophisticated Lady. I messed around with this once and thought it was hard to pull off as a solo. You made it a fun listen. Enjoyed your ending.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2143054 - 09/02/13 07:50 PM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thank you all for your kind words.

For some reason I struggled badly with the red dot on this piece due to it being so slow. I always thought that faster was harder but that is not always the case.

The video inlay in the fallboard was created by adding it on top of the main video in a separate track and resizing/skewing it to give it the shape it has. I then made it semi-transparent and BW to make it blend in with the main video better and give it this dreamy look.

The performance in the concert hall was created by using a green screen behind me and, in post-process, adding a background picture of the Kodak Hall in Rochester, NY. The reflection in the piano in that scene was created by a custom effect I generated in Motion 5.

#2143076 - 09/02/13 08:35 PM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Newman, great performance! You have a great voice too! Playing and singing both at the same time is not easy!

Amaruk, great piece! Your recording is good quality too.

Sinophilia, I love the bumble-boogie tune! Great playing.

Riddler, that was some sophisticated playing there! I enjoyed it.

Here is a recording I did this morning on my latest piano project… of course, the quality of the recording is not as good as some of ones already posted, but you can get a jest of how the piano sounds.

Suwannee River Boogie

Happy September, everyone!

Rick

#2143079 - 09/02/13 08:44 PM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Greener Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nice start to the September bar, Newman. I'm not familiar with this piece. It's nice. You do a good job with it. Very good.

Also not familiar with "New". It's cute. Nicely done.

Amaruk - Really good job with this. Fine video and very lovely playing. Thanks.

Very nice jazz short, Sinophilia. Timing is coming along nicely. Good playing.

Nice playing of the Lady, Ed. Great changes ... gotta love the Duke. I've got an arrangement of this I will need to dig out now. Many 13ths as I recall ... some work to do now.

Here is a tune I thought of as most appropriate in my collection as a feel good, back to school song, called ...

Forest Gump - Theme

#2143119 - 09/02/13 09:55 PM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
1000 Post Club Member

Rickster your new piano sounds pretty good. Would love to hear it again when you finish "tinkering" with it.

Greener what a pleasant surprise this piece is. Nicely played you can't help but smile.

#2143193 - 09/03/13 12:49 AM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
sinophilia Offline

Rickster, that piano sounds very nice! Love your boogie and runs up and down the keyboard.

#2143275 - 09/03/13 05:59 AM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Amaruk]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Amaruk

The video inlay in the fallboard was
beautiful

#2143276 - 09/03/13 06:00 AM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rickster - It was a nice change to hear you play something other than a boogie - and I mean it as a compliment.
Greener - I haven't seen the movie in a long time and had forgotten the theme. Nicely played. I like the way it builds.

#2143278 - 09/03/13 06:32 AM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Newman
...half an hour of continuous replays to hear and work out the chords

And listening to it again today, I misheard a couple earlier and have improved on them.

#2143316 - 09/03/13 08:33 AM Re: September Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Newman
Rickster - It was a nice change to hear you play something other than a boogie - and I mean it as a compliment.

Thanks, Newman.

I think I have boogie in my blood, but I do like any and all piano music. I can play the slower tunes a bit. I guess I'm just hyper. smile

My latest piano project is a bit bright and tinny sounding, but it will be a good project for me to practice my meager piano tech skills.

And, Greener, I enjoyed your Forest Gump theme music!

Rick

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
111 registered (bennevis, Arizona Sage, Almaviva, anotherscott, 36251, bfb, 33 invisible), 1324 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153518 Topics
2249714 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A question about app.box
by LarryShone
Today at 07:08 AM
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
Today at 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission