Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2141943 - 08/31/13 07:13 PM My latest piano adventure...
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Hi All,

Not that I needed it, but I bought another baby grand piano today. It is one of the 5'8" Kimballs with the Bosendorfer designed plate. A church near by had it for sale on CL pretty cheap, as far as baby grand pianos go. Plus, the church was raising money to remodel part of their facilities for their youth. So, I considered part of the purchase somewhat of a donation (or at least that is how I justified the purchase to my wife smile ).

I went to look at it last week and I liked the way it sounded; I particularly like the action. It has the Schwander action they used on those models; it is quick and the touch is nice. I'm having a difficult time locating the serial #. I did find a number on the action that may be it (48501) but no letter in front of the numbers, like it should be. It has to be from the late 1970/early 80s which is when they started making those models.

It needs some work, but with me being somewhat of a piano-tech wanabe, I can use it to practice on to hone my meager piano tech skills. However, it is a pretty nice musical instrument as is. Some say the Kimballs are not good pianos, but I think it has some potential...

I'll tinker with it a while and have some fun with it and either sell it or give it away.

Here are a couple of pics (the date on my digital camera is way wrong smile )... I'll make a recording of the piano a little later, maybe. smile

Rick

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2141946 - 08/31/13 07:25 PM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Some of the Kimball grands are not bad at all. This one looks in good condition from the pics. Enjoy this piano!

#2141947 - 08/31/13 07:32 PM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
Rickster Offline

Thanks, Bob!

Oh yea, I've got the fall board and key-slip. I just had them off checking things out a bit when I took the pics. I found a quarter down in the action, so my donation to the church is paying off already. smile

Rick

#2141952 - 08/31/13 07:45 PM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Rick - Are you off your meds for your PAS?

The piano looks great!

Enjoy!

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2141970 - 08/31/13 08:47 PM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Congrats, Rick!
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#2141976 - 08/31/13 09:12 PM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
S. Phillips Offline

Loc: Forte Farm, Lexington, KY
Wow, You're going to need another addition to the piano palace. Seriously, I can't believe you found another good deal.
2 Steinway Os, Steinway B & C, C. Bechstein A
Phillips Piano Tech
Contributor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
New Federal and State Ivory Regulations and Pianos
http://www.pianobuyer.com/articles/ivory.html

#2141983 - 08/31/13 09:41 PM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Looks like you will be having fun Rickster.

Kimball grands of that era had the serial and model number on a metal plate attached to the back of the key-bed near where the pedal braces mount to the key-bed. The model # starts with 58xx last two digits depend on finish. Serial number starts with a letter.

Often the action frames were mounted to the keyframe a bit too low. Also the strike point in the lower treble area around the area of note 60 is too shallow. Some can be set 3/16" longer.

Looks like yours has the laminated soundboard. These pianos stay in tune very well.

#2142002 - 08/31/13 10:39 PM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Boogie-Woogie recording please....

Norbert wink

#2142032 - 08/31/13 11:51 PM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
PaintedPostDave Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Upstate New York
What a pretty piano! It is so nice to see the beautiful wood grain. Thanks for sharing.
https://sites.google.com/site/analysisofsoundsandvibrations/

#2142078 - 09/01/13 01:39 AM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
michaelha Offline
500 Post Club Member

Nice. How many pianos do you have? I do remember you mentioning the C7. You must have a pretty big house to fit 2+ grands.

#2142090 - 09/01/13 02:49 AM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
Dwscamel Offline

Aw, Rick, you're so much fun! I'm on your YouTube channel and I haven't had so much fun watching someone play a piano in ages smile.

I hope I end up with as many as you, and enjoying them as much, too.

#2142178 - 09/01/13 09:33 AM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
Rickster Offline

Originally Posted By: Dwscamel
Aw, Rick, you're so much fun! I'm on your YouTube channel and I haven't had so much fun watching someone play a piano in ages. smile

I hope I end up with as many as you, and enjoying them as much, too.

Thanks for the kind words regarding my YouTube videos… thing is, I recognize that I can’t play the piano all that well, and what little I can play is my own, unique, “backwoods-hillbilly" style smile ; same goes for my original songs and arraignments. Some are better than others, and none of them are all that good. But I still have a lot of fun trying. smile

Of course, you never know what people will like… the worst music video I ever posted has received over 528,000 views. It’s a mystery to me.

Oh yea, I did finally locate the serial number on the Kimball… (thanks, Ed McMorrow). It was stamped in large numbers on the flat, vertical edge at the back of the key-bed (right side facing the piano), like Ed said. Looks like the metal plate is missing, but the numbers stamped in the wood won’t be going anywhere anytime soon. It was hard to find, thus the reason I had a difficult time finding it, since it is all painted black. The number is A82715, so it appears to be a late 1977 model.

In regards to how many pianos I have now, I've got two grands, the C7 (which I absolutely love!!) the Kimball I just got, (which I like smile ), an older Kawai 48A upright (a very nice, sweet sounding piano) and the Baldwin 243 upright. My house really ain't all that big, but my music room is starting to get crowded. I am working on my detached garage to make it more enviornmentally friendly for acoustic pianos.

And, Sally, you are the one who suggested that I not use my C7 to practice my piano tech skills, so I'm taking your advice! smile

And, Norbert, yes, I’ve been playing some fast boogie-woogie on the piano, and it sounds good to me! Maybe I will do a video recording soon. I’ve been working on my version of Suwannee River Boogie. smile

Rick

#2142204 - 09/01/13 10:44 AM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
Annitenth Offline

Loc: Texas
You've got too much something, Rick. Money? Time? Room in your house? smile

I like the wood grain.

#2142206 - 09/01/13 10:48 AM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You are a all-around piano inspiration, Rick...you save them, collect them, fix them, tune them, play them, post piano music of them...way to go!

#2142214 - 09/01/13 11:09 AM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
Rickster Offline

Originally Posted By: Rockett88
You are a all-around piano inspiration, Rick...you save them, collect them, fix them, tune them, play them, post piano music of them...way to go!

Thanks Rocktt88!

My goal in life is to be able to play the boogie-woogie as well as you!! Of course, I’ve got a long way to go yet and you’ve set the bar high. smile

I would like to think I’m a positive influence/inspiration to someone, and pianos are a wonderful musical instrument.

And, Annie, no, I don’t have a lot of money or a big house or a lot of time, but I do have a lot of enthusiasm for pianos. You’d be surprised how much (or how little) I have invested in my pianos… (I have to find the bargains when they come along). If I ever win the lottery, I’ll buy me a brand new piano. smile

Rick

#2142225 - 09/01/13 11:43 AM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
Good going, Rick!

But, you have to be careful. I live in constant fear of becoming the piano equivalent of a cat lady...

wink

#2142281 - 09/01/13 02:00 PM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
Swarth Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area Ca.
Way to go Rick! My wife has promised a swift execution if I bring home any more strays at this time. As for your playing, you don't have to be any one but you!

#2142315 - 09/01/13 03:11 PM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
MacDan Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Rick,

Just remember - don't be discouraged by some who speak poorly about Kimballs in general.

I purchased a 1926 Kimball grand and recently had my tech rebush the keys, rebuild the action and voice it. While I spent more doing this than it's probably worth, it's a great instrument and allowed me to get a nice sized (+6') grand to start my piano studies on.

I could dump more money into it but it wouldn't be financially prudent. I plan on playing it for a few years before I become more accomplished and graduate up to something newer. If there was a negative I would say that the bass register is a little "tubby", but other than that it plays well for its age.

Del was a big help in assuring me about this purchase, which made me feel a lot more comfortable about it as I moved forward.

When I move on my Kimball will be donated to a deserving organization or owner who can continue to put it to good use.

Dan

#2142331 - 09/01/13 03:59 PM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
SBP Offline

I've occasionally toyed with the idea of a second piano just for a different palette, although I dare not bring it up to my parents (although there is a gigantic blank spot in our new home where a piano would fit nicely). But it would be a neat thing to have. However, I honestly can't imagine owning more than 2, unless you enjoy trios or have a really large home :P

I must say that does look really nice for a church piano. The grand at our church always looked really banged up, IIRC.

#2142504 - 09/01/13 09:26 PM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
Glenn Treibitz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles/Burbank
We used to call that a Kimballdorfer

Hollywood Piano Co. - Est.1928
http://www.hollywoodpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/HollywoodPiano

1800 MY-PIANO

Grotrian, Mason&Hamlin, Estonia,Schulze Pollmann,Albert Weber,Baldwin,Brodmann,
Ritmuller,Weber,Hardman,Roland,Kurzweil, Used Steinway,Yamaha,Kawai

#2142570 - 09/01/13 11:39 PM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
Rickster Offline

Originally Posted By: Glenn Treibitz
We used to call that a Kimballdorfer

I've read some pros and cons about the influence the Kimball/Bosendorfer relationship had on the Kimball grands of that era. Not sure about all the debate, but I like the big sound holes in the plate, which does resemble the Bosendorfer plate.

Anyway, I did some cleaning, adjusting and hammer filing on the Kimball today, and it is sounding and playing even better. As has been mentioned already, it was not out of tune all that much, even though it hasn’t been tuned in years, according to the pastor of the church I purchased it from. It sounds very similar to the 6’7” Kimball Viennese model I played a few years ago when I was looking for a 7 footer. The low bass is not as rich as the 6’7” model, but the rest of the piano sounds very similar.

It’s been fun tinkering with it so far, and some of my relatives want to buy it from me already. I gave my sister my old Conover upright I just refurbished, and now she wants the Kimball. smile

Rick

#2142601 - 09/02/13 01:05 AM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
Nash. Piano Rescue Offline

Loc: East Nashville,TN Scottsville...
There was a 10 ft 1 inch 1984 Kimball Olympic Commemorative concert grand advertised on Pianomart last month for 3k dollars which looked new in the photos. I didn't know they made them that big .
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

#2142628 - 09/02/13 02:18 AM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Nash. Piano Rescue]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Originally Posted By: Nash. Piano Rescue
There was a 10 ft 1 inch 1984 Kimball Olympic Commemorative concert grand advertised on Pianomart last month for 3k dollars which looked new in the photos. I didn't know they made them that big .

This one? It does not look to be 10'-1" in the photo, not even 9', which I think they made, or had made by Bösendorfer.

#2142709 - 09/02/13 08:40 AM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
Mark R. Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
Originally Posted By: Ed McMorrow, RPT
Looks like yours has the laminated soundboard.

Ed, which visuals lead you to this conclusion?

1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

#2142712 - 09/02/13 08:50 AM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Originally Posted By: Rickster
It’s been fun tinkering with it so far, and some of my relatives want to buy it from me already. I gave my sister my old Conover upright I just refurbished, and now she wants the Kimball. smile

Oh-Oh -- Is PAS genetic?

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2142742 - 09/02/13 10:10 AM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
Rickster Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark R
Originally Posted By: Ed McMorrow, RPT
Looks like yours has the laminated soundboard.

Ed, which visuals lead you to this conclusion?

Hi Mark,

Maybe Ed will chime in again in response to your question, but I have also heard Del Fandrich mention that these models (Kimbaldorfers as Glenn put it) had laminated soundboards. I'm not quite sure how to tell. It is my understanding that they made 2 different models of this Viennese editions from the late 1970's until they stopped making pianos in the early 90's, the 5'8" and a 6'7". They do look similar in style and plate design.

What has surprised me so far, is how nice the action feels.

And Marty, I'm not sure if PAS is genetic or not, by my sister has two old uprights now... smile

Rick

#2142816 - 09/02/13 01:37 PM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
Rickster Offline

I recorded a short video of me playing the Kimball this morning. It sounds a little brighter in the video than it does in real life, but the mic on cam-corder is not the best.

Kimball 5'8" baby grand 1977 model

Anyway, you can get an idea of what it sounds like. It still needs some serious regulation, hammer voicing and fine tuning, but I'll get to that later.

Happy Labor Day!!

Rick

#2142889 - 09/02/13 03:44 PM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Rickster]
Swarth Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area Ca.
Nice video Rick, I'm still working on mine, the cam-corder just doesn't do it justice... The sad part is the church is exactly where that piano should be and yet they would rather have the latest "keyboard", bleach. The older larger Kimball's were to my understanding very good pianos on par with Knabe, Baldwin, and such.

#2143743 - 09/03/13 11:21 PM Re: My latest piano adventure... [Re: Swarth]
Steve in Cincy Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Rick, thanks for posting the pictures and the story. I have one of the 6'7"s from that same time period, although not the Viennese version. I believe the 5'8 and the 6'7 used the same Schwander action; is that what yours has? I've wondered how similar (or different) that action is compared to mine since mine is not the Viennese.

I'm still very interested in doing some additional things to mine, especially some that Del mentioned, but I just haven't gotten the time to do so.
Please keep up posted on what you find and do on yours---it might give me additional ideas for mine.

Interesting that my serial number is similar to yours. Mine is A97100, but mine is clearly not a Viennese version and not one of the Bosy versions (to the best of my knowledge). Hmmmm......

Edited for typo.

Edited by Steve in Cincy (09/04/13 03:36 PM)
1979 6'7 Kimball Grand
1902 6' Hazelton Bros. Grand (project piano)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baroque Pitch - The Well-Tempered Clavier
by Badinage
Today at 02:25 AM
Need Leutke Leipzig info
by Gardenergirl
Today at 12:26 AM
Best digital approximation
by TEHunter1
Yesterday at 11:49 PM
Wow, check out this baby!
by Paul678
Yesterday at 09:31 PM
Baby Grand new Hammer Knuckles.
by OscarL
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Who's Online
61 registered (36251, Badinage, AliAlkhiro, andwi, AEMontoya, beeboss, 14 invisible), 915 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76209 Members
42 Forums
157554 Topics
2314215 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission