Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2142013 - 08/31/13 10:58 PM The long await..first grand piano experience. How was yours?
RX2Bunny Offline

Loc: Chicago
I have been reading posts on this forum and learned a lot from all of you. This is such a great and useful forum. Finally, I have taken up the opportunity to buy my first grand. a childhood dream has finally come true. It was a long drive to the dealer and when I was finally 15-20 mins away from the dealer's store, I started to feel very emotional as I realized.....my dream might finally come true. I was nervous and excited.

The dealer has 2 of the same models for me to try. I had to say it wasn't love at first sight (or "play"). but the more I played it, the more I started to feel the connection. after about 2 hours of playing, I found "mine". If my little toddler wasn't waiting for me, I probably could have spent another few hours there lol.

How was your first grand experience? did you get emotional?

Now I have to get ready my living room to welcome my new love of my life :-)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2142027 - 08/31/13 11:33 PM Re: The long await..first grand piano experience. How was yours? [Re: RX2Bunny]
Music Me Offline

Loc: New York
I am so very happy for you. I had that feeling when I purchased my upright last October. However, I am also preparing for my dream Grand Piano in approximately four years when I retire. It is my present from me to me. That emotion you describe is sacred. I believe it is was separates us from others - having a passion and a vision to embark in something that takes us to a sacred place - be it for ourselves, or for an audience.

So very very happy for you. Please post a photo, should you wish to. I can't wait for it to be me. I am already planning.

All the best,

#2142075 - 09/01/13 01:24 AM Re: The long await..first grand piano experience. How was yours? [Re: RX2Bunny]
michaelha Offline
500 Post Club Member

So what'd you get?

#2142080 - 09/01/13 01:46 AM Re: The long await..first grand piano experience. How was yours? [Re: RX2Bunny]
jc201306 Offline

Congratulation on your new piano!

#2142111 - 09/01/13 04:43 AM Re: The long await..first grand piano experience. How was yours? [Re: RX2Bunny]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You already bought after 2 hours of trying one single model??

>How was your first grand experience? did you get emotional?

I was heading for a DP first but even the most expensive one did not hold up against an upright acoustic. Then I searched for the best upright and I found that the best one did not hold up against a mid-range grand. And then I found that there is still a huge range of variability between the grands, even same brand same model.

It's always exciting to hear and play a good grand. But "emotional" is quite a loaded word, I would not say so.

#2142320 - 09/01/13 03:30 PM Re: The long await..first grand piano experience. How was yours? [Re: RX2Bunny]
RX2Bunny Offline

Hi Music Me, thanks for your post and sharing. I think not everyone would understand how we feel (e.g. my friends who don't piano. they thought i'm little bit nuts). I'm glad to find someone who shares the same passion. I hope "your day" will come very soon too! you never know.. it might happen sooner than you planned!

Michaelh, ooops.. i guess I was too excited last night and forgot to mention what I have gotten! it's a Kawai RX-2 Blak! I know it's probably "nothing too exciting" for the regulars here as it seems like there's a new owner of a RX every other week! Btw, I played the RX-5 Blak at the dealer... I love the even bigger sound but I don't have the space and don't want to further blow my budget (husband will kill me..). so in the meantime, I'm just perfectly content and happy with my new rx-2 laugh

Wouter79, I have tried and played on more before the trip yesterday. I just didn't post them smile

I went to a yamaha dealer before and tried some hailun, C2, C2X and couple others. I like the C2X and the "fatter" black keys, but the dealer was not pleasant to deal with at all and price seemed to be substantially higher. I currently have a kawai upright and love it so I just didn't have enough motivation to pursue harder on the C2x.

I tried a couple of M&H at another dealer. they're lovely but they're just too above my price range.

Also tried the Boston. I like the sound and tone but for some reasons, I'm not crazy about its action. I feel it's harder for me to have the control. Also, it's quite bit higher than my budget as well. If it's the same price as the RX-2, man, it'll be a very tough call.

#2142330 - 09/01/13 03:56 PM Re: The long await..first grand piano experience. How was yours? [Re: RX2Bunny]
rlinkt Offline

Loc: CA
Congratulations! RX-2 is a fantastic piano. I am sure that you will get the thrill of playing a piano like that for years to come!

#2142841 - 09/02/13 02:50 PM Re: The long await..first grand piano experience. How was yours? [Re: RX2Bunny]
Carbonblob Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca.
Congrats Rileybunny,

I probably say this to all new RX2 owners ad nauseum.............so why stop?

One of my favorite RX2 piano player.........

http://www.youtube.com/lyricmudra

You have a great model. I had a chance to play several RX2's in a variety of finishes and all grouped together. They all sounded great but noticed the actions varied by a noticable margin.

Like you, it wasn't Perri kind of moment. I was too busy being critical. I was at the dealer to compare an RX3 to the Yamaha I WAS going buy. Everyone said I had to check out the RX3 before committing. Luckily the dealer was very accomodating and let me play for hours on everything and anything I wanted. In the end, they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I was not prepared to buy, especially that day. Once the deal was done and I realized that in less than 48 hours that piano would be sitting in my studio, I started to get excited from that point on. It helped that my g/f was over the top supportive and to this day, she loves the piano more than me! I wasn't sure about the sound at first but now it's grown on me. How about you? blob

#2142849 - 09/02/13 03:01 PM Re: The long await..first grand piano experience. How was yours? [Re: RX2Bunny]
RX2Bunny Offline

Omg! they just got here... moving is going to start... i'm soo excited!!

#2142900 - 09/02/13 03:52 PM Re: The long await..first grand piano experience. How was yours? [Re: RX2Bunny]
Music Me Offline

Loc: New York
RileyBunny I can feel your excitement! We won't probably hear from you for a few days. Enjoy playing. I hope you will post a photo or two.

#2142978 - 09/02/13 05:41 PM Re: The long await..first grand piano experience. How was yours? [Re: RX2Bunny]
thorn_was_taken Offline

I'm mid-quest as I type, but will check back in with a brief post-mortem on the experience when it's over. Shopping pre-owned instruments is challenging and complicated, but also a little bit fun, and sometimes face-hand-y., and sometimes a *whole* lot of other things.

Emotional? Not so sure about that, but it will be a commitment.

-- Sometimes I poke. Even if I like you.

1920's Mason & Hamlin A

#2142994 - 09/02/13 06:13 PM Re: The long await..first grand piano experience. How was yours? [Re: RX2Bunny]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Congratulations on your RX2! I hope you have many years of enjoyment with it; and I'm sure you will!

Rick

#2149105 - 09/12/13 11:30 PM Re: The long await..first grand piano experience. How was yours? [Re: RX2Bunny]
thorn_was_taken Offline

Ok. Done. 1920's M&H A, original condition, mostly. Once I decided I was interested in the one I now have, it took about two weeks to get the details worked out.

I wouldn't call the experience emotional yet. I'm so excited to have it that I practically hyperventilate whenever I think about it or walk past it. The emotional bit is yet to come. It needs work. The price reflected that to some degree, but I have a feeling that it's going to be pretty expensive, and my husband may lobby for it to be refinished. I had its guts checked out by a decent tech -- but his taste is a little different than mine, and there were some things it seems he wouldn't even have checked, had I not asked him to explicitly. Since *I'm* not a tech, who *knows* what-all else we missed.

For the new-owner evaluation and first tune at least, I'm switching techs.

I've had not an instant of buyers' remorse, except that the search has ended -- just when I was beginning to hit a stride. What pleases me immensely, is having an instrument that's *worth* the professional attention I envision it having (over time), and whose life truly can be significantly extended by this care.

e/t/a Oh, yeah. And it will be *wonderful* to have an instrument that will serve my learning. I'm kind of low-intermediate (a re-starting grownup on a shoestring), and my sweet old vertical was actually holding me back.

Edited by thorn_was_taken (09/12/13 11:34 PM)

1920's Mason & Hamlin A

#2149269 - 09/13/13 08:03 AM Re: The long await..first grand piano experience. How was yours? [Re: RX2Bunny]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Congratulations, Thorn (and also Riley)! I'm sure you'll get many years of delight from the piano.

I found mine after a loooong search a couple of years ago. It still makes me feel happy and incredibly lucky every day--even when I'm not playing it, just to see it and realize it's there for me. It's (almost) equally delightful to hear others play it.
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2149309 - 09/13/13 09:17 AM Re: The long await..first grand piano experience. How was yours? [Re: RX2Bunny]
thorn_was_taken Offline

jdw 'others playing it' is a *most* interesting point i hadn't thought of until yesterday when a good friend of mine asked if he can try it out sometime.

of course the answer is an emphatic 'yes'! i hope he will bring some brahms he mentioned working on. maybe others will play it as well. nieces & nephews. maybe my husband will decide to learn to play...

maybe i'll even finally develop some social skills through ownership of a grand piano. heh

Edited by thorn_was_taken (09/13/13 09:18 AM)

1920's Mason & Hamlin A

#2149325 - 09/13/13 09:59 AM Re: The long await..first grand piano experience. How was yours? [Re: RX2Bunny]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: thorn_was_taken
jdw 'others playing it' is a *most* interesting point i hadn't thought of until yesterday when a good friend of mine asked if he can try it out sometime.

of course the answer is an emphatic 'yes'! i hope he will bring some brahms he mentioned working on. maybe others will play it as well. nieces & nephews. maybe my husband will decide to learn to play...

maybe i'll even finally develop some social skills through ownership of a grand piano. heh

I honestly didn’t realize just how good my piano (C7) sounded until another family member (who can play better than me; which doesn't take much smile ) sat down and played it while I stood back and listened. It is amazing how there is a difference in the perception of the sound/tone while playing or standing back listening to someone else play. I thought to myself, wow, that piano sounds good; I’m glad it’s mine!

Anyway, congratulations again, RileyBunny and thorn_was_taken!

Rick

#2149410 - 09/13/13 12:15 PM Re: The long await..first grand piano experience. How was yours? [Re: thorn_was_taken]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
maybe my husband will decide to learn to play...

My husband was inspired to start lessons--there's something about the grand piano that calls to people. Luckily, we are pretty good at sharing. smile
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2149457 - 09/13/13 01:16 PM Re: The long await..first grand piano experience. How was yours? [Re: thorn_was_taken]
RX2Bunny Offline

I was almost begging my teacher to play on my piano but she seemed to feel little awkward about it. I really would love to hear someone playing on my piano but I don't really know anyone who plays. I wish there're a piano club or something in the area so a few piano enthusiasts could take turns hosting a get-together at people's home and play for each other.

#2149461 - 09/13/13 01:19 PM Re: The long await..first grand piano experience. How was yours? [Re: jdw]
RX2Bunny Offline

Originally Posted By: jdw
I found mine after a loooong search a couple of years ago. It still makes me feel happy and incredibly lucky every day--even when I'm not playing it, just to see it and realize it's there for me. It's (almost) equally delightful to hear others play it.

Completely agree! I just feel incredibly happy even just looking at it! also, I don't have to have this extreme envious feeling when I walk by other people's homes and see that they have a nice grand piano but I didn't. Now I am still interested to see other grand but I feel very happy that I have one myself too which I love!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question on Dampp Chaser installation
by electone2007
Today at 02:56 AM
Help to choose between upright Yamaha JU109 & Ritmuller110r2
by yurana
Today at 02:01 AM
I've got it! Who remembers that Steinway O project?
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 01:29 AM
A study of the practice behaviors of effective pianists
by lyricmudra
Yesterday at 10:37 PM
Ease of play - Yamaha p35 or p105
by DeadPoets
Yesterday at 10:37 PM
Who's Online
63 registered (barbaram, AZNpiano, adrpiano, AtomicBond, Baroque Style, beet31425, 11 invisible), 1072 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76399 Members
42 Forums
157943 Topics
2319488 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission