Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2140553 - 08/29/13 04:04 AM Nyiregyhazi plays Vallee d'Obermann
Michael Sayers Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms lšn, Sverige
Hi Everyone,

This was just recently uploaded to youtube. Whatever anyone thinks about Nyiregyhazi's interpretations, the tremolando section which starts a little after 10:15 is from a purely pianistic point of view amazing in terms of sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLk6vqaxU1Y

M.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2140685 - 08/29/13 12:00 PM Re: Nyiregyhazi plays Vallee d'Obermann [Re: Michael Sayers]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
Thanks so much for that!

Nyiregyhazi's story is such a sad one, and quite the cautionary tale for budding prodigies and their families.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2140688 - 08/29/13 12:04 PM Re: Nyiregyhazi plays Vallee d'Obermann [Re: laguna_greg]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I think it's a cautionary tale for lack of easier mental health treatment.

#2140702 - 08/29/13 12:17 PM Re: Nyiregyhazi plays Vallee d'Obermann [Re: Mark_C]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
that's what I meant to say

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2140718 - 08/29/13 12:31 PM Re: Nyiregyhazi plays Vallee d'Obermann [Re: Michael Sayers]
1000 Post Club Member

I just focus on Ervin's piano playing and compositions, not his interpersonal relationships . . . the same as with Bobby Fischer's chess games, and Wagner's music dramas.

M.

#2141130 - 08/30/13 01:55 AM Re: Nyiregyhazi plays Vallee d'Obermann [Re: Michael Sayers]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

@Michael,

The link you posted above is an excellent example which demonstrates Nyiregyhazi's unique ability of bringing out those long sustained melodic lines. And, the raw power is there, too.

Also, have you had a chance to watch this live concert, here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcqb4VaAq3I

And, here is a really interesting "Mephisto Waltz"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpzW7RH0cgY

It is part Busoni's version and Liszt's, combined.

Extra note:

Here's some more astounding playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEMOYMZABvE

Have to wonder why no one has attempted to upload the "March of the Three Holy Kings" from Liszt's "Christus" in the transcription by Nyiregyhazi?

That performance is included in the original 2-LP record set, here:

http://www.amazon.com/Nyiregyhazi-Proces...rds=nyiregyhazi

Would like see the above 2-LP set released to CD.

#2141343 - 08/30/13 12:17 PM Re: Nyiregyhazi plays Vallee d'Obermann [Re: pv88]
1000 Post Club Member

Nyiregyhazi's recordings will always be controversial because on the one hand it is impressive that he could walk into a church after decades without owning a piano (did he ever own one?) and play Schubert's Wanderer Fantasy and Fugue as he did, and also the Liszt Legendes, and on the other hand the mistakes he makes in some recordings with rhythmic accuracy and the notes (including in that straight-forward block chord section of the 2nd Legend) are ones that would be hard for most pianists to do even intentionally whether the music had been practiced or was only in the mind.

p.s. - I have a friend who is working to get ahold of whatever is available of a Grieg piano concerto recording with Nyiregyhazi as the soloist from many decades earlier. I tried to do this when I lived in the U.S. but with no luck - the film and recording archive didn't even answer my emails (at least they could have said, "no, it can't be made available just for private circulation and enjoyment, sorry!").

M.

#2141457 - 08/30/13 04:17 PM Re: Nyiregyhazi plays Vallee d'Obermann [Re: Michael Sayers]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Interesting playing. He makes a large sound even when playing soft, but partially that might be because of the 'vibrato' due to the recording process smile Interesting to hear the subtile timing differences in the different voices. His fortissimos sound like the piano is exploding laugh

#2141488 - 08/30/13 06:10 PM Re: Nyiregyhazi plays Vallee d'Obermann [Re: Michael Sayers]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
I have heard a little Nyierighazi on YouTube and read what is, I think, the only biography of him.

While some seem impressed with the huge sound he sometimes gets and this is often mentioned in regards to his playing, I don't see things that way. I've probably never heard a professional pianist who I felt couldn't play loud enough for the performance venue, and I don't see why some make such a plus out of his ability to play loudly.

Edited by pianoloverus (08/30/13 06:15 PM)

#2141495 - 08/30/13 06:21 PM Re: Nyiregyhazi plays Vallee d'Obermann [Re: pianoloverus]
jeffreyjones Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I have heard a little Nyierighazi on YouTube and read what is, I think, the only biography of him.

While some seem impressed with the huge sound he sometimes gets and this is often mentioned in regards to his playing, I don't see things that way. I've probably never heard a professional pianist who I felt couldn't play loud enough for the performance venue, and I don't see why some make such a plus out of his ability to play loudly.

It's clear that Ervin was eccentric to the point of being uncontrollable, and much of his music-making is incoherent garbage.. but then when you least expect it, you get these moments of a touch and tone that's so poignant, so perfect, that for a brief moment you see nirvana. And it's heartbreaking that he couldn't be that good all the time.

#2142172 - 09/01/13 09:20 AM Re: Nyiregyhazi plays Vallee d'Obermann [Re: pianoloverus]
1000 Post Club Member

If any pianist can do something every other pianist can not do, that makes it impressive.

With Nyiregyhazi it is a man in his 70s who walks around with a cane who is getting that sound . . . I am not sure if other pianists can not do it or if they just do not want to.

I've heard plenty of pianists who do not play loudly enough so that a full orchestra doesn't in some bars have to hold back in order not to swamp the piano sound (and the piano still might get overwhelmed!), but with Nyiregyhazi an orchestra would never need to hold back.

M.

#2142190 - 09/01/13 09:58 AM Re: Nyiregyhazi plays Vallee d'Obermann [Re: Michael Sayers]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Michael Sayers

If any pianist can do something every other pianist can not do, that makes it impressive.
I think that's true only if what they can do is of some musical use. If a pianist can play a game of chess while performing is that impressive? For solo recitals, I can never remember hearing professional pianist who couldn't play loud enough.

Originally Posted By: Michael Sayers
I've heard plenty of pianists who do not play loudly enough so that a full orchestra doesn't in some bars have to hold back in order not to swamp the piano sound (and the piano still might get overwhelmed!), but with Nyiregyhazi an orchestra would never need to hold back.
In terms of balance between the orchestra and soloist, one could just as easily argue that the orchestra was playing too loudly if it swamps the pianist. Those who rave about N's big sound are almost always talking about his solo playing because I don't think there are (m)any examples of his concerto playing. But I don't see the relevance of being able to play louder than necessary.

#2142210 - 09/01/13 11:04 AM Re: Nyiregyhazi plays Vallee d'Obermann [Re: pianoloverus]
1000 Post Club Member

I think that's true only if what they can do is of some musical use. If a pianist can play a game of chess while performing is that impressive? For solo recitals, I can never remember hearing professional pianist who couldn't play loud enough.

I've heard plenty of performers lacking in fortissimo - it seemed like the harder each tried to get there, the more contracted and brittle in timbre the piano sound became, and the orchestra simply obliterated the piano tone for this reason even though a full orchestral fortissimo was never reached.

In terms of balance between the orchestra and soloist, one could just as easily argue that the orchestra was playing too loudly if it swamps the pianist. Those who rave about N's big sound are almost always talking about his solo playing because I don't think there are (m)any examples of his concerto playing. But I don't see the relevance of being able to play louder than necessary.

Ideally a concerto pianist can hold his own with an orchestra - the orchestra should be able to surrender totally to the music and give all without the pianist being submerged. And if in a solo performance without orchestra a pianist is capable of producing a true fortissimo but doesn't give it, how is it ethical for him to accept being paid for the performance or in having an audience which takes the time to hear him when they could be doing something else?

M.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ambitious Jazz beginner
by Ruan
16 minutes 14 seconds ago
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
DGX-650 TOPIC
by Jtreimer
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
Yesterday at 07:31 PM
Who's Online
95 registered (Anticlock, anadyr21, accordeur, AnimistFvR, 29 invisible), 1185 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158406 Topics
2326244 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission