2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
trying to avoid all the antagonism here, my humble thoughts about the 4th scherzo: I think it's the best of the 4, the most difficult it is surely, not only technically (very difficult indeed!), but also and foremost musically, in lesser hands it can sound repetitious, with a rather dull-sounding barcarolle/nocturne-ish trio and a superficial scale to sum up things..But it's so much more! The essence of the 2nd mov. of St Saens 2nd pico is there, Moszk. and the likes found a lot of inspiration here, Chopin invented a new technique, no where in the etudes can one find such broken chord sequenses, and the lightheartiness of the piece is a rare thing among the later works, quite difficult to catch, a gem, and a milestone, and a hard one to perform, the hardest of the 4. I prefer this to the others.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
...my humble thoughts about the 4th scherzo: I think it's the best of the 4, the most difficult it is surely, not only technically (very difficult indeed!), but also and foremost musically, in lesser hands it can sound repetitious, with a rather dull-sounding barcarolle/nocturne-ish trio and a superficial scale to sum up things..But it's so much more!

Wonderful post, dolce! (I really should have quoted you in entirety.)

Poly, any comments?

Maybe I'll be forgiven for preferring Ashkenazy, though I didn't seriously think anyone here thought they played it better... I was just letting off some steam because, well, I do admire Ashkenazy. (Not in all composers of course, but his Chopin has always been very special to me.)

Jason
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Poly, any comments?

Maybe I'll be forgiven for preferring Ashkenazy, though I didn't seriously think anyone here thought they played it better... I was just letting off some steam because, well, I do admire Ashkenazy. (Not in all composers of course, but his Chopin has always been very special to me.)

Remember, I'd like to keep this thread on track. Please start another thread if you wish to discuss this.

Regards,

Polyphonist
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
He was asking if you had any comments on Dolce's post (I think...)

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
He was asking if you had any comments on Dolce's post (I think...)

Exactly. thumb

Jason
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
And to add my opinion, I totally agree with his opinion - it's a really tough piece to play well. Though certainly it's beneficial to learn it early...before the fear of its musical difficulties becomes too overwhelming!

Working on:
Debussy - Images Book II

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Ah, I see what you meant. It was a little unclear. smile

I think it's the best of the 4,

Agreed, although this is subjective.

the most difficult it is surely, not only technically (very difficult indeed!), but also and foremost musically,

Also agreed. It's the most difficult, by far, musically and technically. And the range of technique required is enormous - fast scales, double octaves, lightning-quick silvery passagework, various double notes, handling multiple melodies (polyphony), etc, etc.

Chopin invented a new technique, no where in the etudes can one find such broken chord sequenses,

Yes, you're right. I never really thought of it this way, but it's true that this is the first place where this technique is used. By the way, you meant blocked chord sequences, not broken. smile

and the lightheartiness of the piece is a rare thing among the later works, quite difficult to catch, a gem,

Yes, it is unlike the majority of Chopin's output, and consequently stands out as a shimmering masterpiece even among late Chopin, some of the greatest repertoire ever written for the piano.

The purity and beauty of this work really can't be expressed in words.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Chopin invented a new technique, no where in the etudes can one find such broken chord sequenses,

Yes, you're right. I never really thought of it this way, but it's true that this is the first place where this technique is used. By the way, you meant blocked chord sequences, not broken. smile

Very interesting. I'm tempted to compose an etude for this technique.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Quite true, but I might add the 'Missa Solemnis'. No words AT ALL for that! blush

Jason
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by argerichfan

Quite true, but I might add the 'Missa Solemnis'. No words AT ALL for that! blush

We could mention a variety of works to go into this category. Sections of Bach's Goldbergs and Beethoven's Diabellis, the latest Beethoven Sonatas, many late Chopin works, some things by Rachmaninoff (Vespers and the 3rd (or 2nd, Jason grin) piano concerto), etc.

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JoelW

Please do! I'd love to see it. smile

How about this; I'll write one too. grin
I'm sending you a PM.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

.....although maybe about 90% of Mendelssohn consists of that. ha

I know, it doesn't really.....

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mark_C

.....although maybe about 90% of Mendelssohn consists of that. ha

I know, it doesn't really.....

Well, yes, there's some of it in Mendelssohn, and some in Liszt (you know the passage I'm thinking of grin), but Chopin was the first to use it in the way...well, in the way that he used it. grin You know what I mean, even though one can't really put it into words.

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
...even though one can't really put it into words.

Nor could I ever put Hilary into words, but I digress.

Jason
A
A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hWixwdOWT8

Murray Perahia playing a bit of Scherzo 4 and talking about it! Quite short, but quite lovely.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Does anyone think it's harder than opp. 52, 58?

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K

Having studied all three, there are a few things that make it hard to compare:

Op. 52 culminates at a "point" - the coda. This makes structuring, pacing, and continuity difficult (since no sections repeat exactly). It means that the furious technical demands at the end are harder because of the emotional intensity, plus it has to be played well in order "climax" the piece appropriately.

Op.58 has multiple movements and is a lot longer. There are more varieties of moods, structuring (especially the first movement) remains difficult, and pacing of the performer's energies is important so you don't get too tired by the time the finale starts. Each movement has their own technical and musical difficulties, but at least there is a break between each movement.

Op. 54 has a lot of repetitions with very slight variations each time, so while the primary theme is easy to clarify to the listener, it has to be played well in conjunction with the other material to sound meaningful, instead of repetitive. There's also the lightness which is hard to bring off, but at least formally it's more workable than the other two works.

This isn't including any of the technical difficulties, but in my experience, in terms of hitting the notes and the importance in hitting the correct notes, you could say that op. 54 and op. 58 are a bit harder than op. 52.

Working on:
Debussy - Images Book II

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Op. 52 culminates at a "point" - the coda. This makes structuring, pacing, and continuity difficult (since no sections repeat exactly). It means that the furious technical demands at the end are harder because of the emotional intensity, plus it has to be played well in order "climax" the piece appropriately.

Op.58 has multiple movements and is a lot longer. There are more varieties of moods, structuring (especially the first movement) remains difficult, and pacing of the performer's energies is important so you don't get too tired by the time the finale starts. Each movement has their own technical and musical difficulties, but at least there is a break between each movement.

Op. 54 has a lot of repetitions with very slight variations each time, so while the primary theme is easy to clarify to the listener, it has to be played well in conjunction with the other material to sound meaningful, instead of repetitive. There's also the lightness which is hard to bring off, but at least formally it's more workable than the other two works.

This isn't including any of the technical difficulties, but in my experience, in terms of hitting the notes and the importance in hitting the correct notes, you could say that op. 54 and op. 58 are a bit harder than op. 52.

Thanks for the insightful post, Kuan.

What strikes me about the ballade's coda is the thirds. They scare me. Perhaps it's just a weakness in my technique right now. What was the hardest part for you? (note-hitting wise)

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
The thirds, but I sort of suck at them. However think of the clarity you need: IMO, the coda of the ballade is sort of an apocalyptic climax where everything is falling apart - it's less of a sin to fudge the thirds while delivering that musical statement, than it is to screw up the thirds in the fourth scherzo.

However, the primary difficulties in the 4th ballade are musical, not so much technical. And most of the sections aren't all that bad technically (though Mark_C will certainly disagree with me!)

Working on:
Debussy - Images Book II

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P

Thanks for the insightful post, Kuan.

What strikes me about the ballade's coda is the thirds. They scare me. Perhaps it's just a weakness in my technique right now. What was the hardest part for you? (note-hitting wise)

For me, the double notes in the coda are definitely the hardest part - the first four bars, just for starters, are very difficult because of the necessity to articulate both voices within the double notes - then, of course, there are the thirds, and then those crazy passages up with double notes and down with the octaves in the LH, and then the last page or so with the cascading unison passages is very difficult to get accurate, and since you're totally exhausted by now (I would usually program this at the end of a concert) that makes it even harder.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission