Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2142937 - 09/02/13 04:40 PM By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it
bolt Offline

Does this happen to anyone else? By the time I have a piece up to the required standard I'm tired of it, even if I really liked it at first. Not for every piece but for many of them.

Wondering if this is just par for the course, or if maybe it indicates the material I'm working on is a bit too difficult for my level.

I mean, I would hate to think it will always be like this - sick of the piece by the time I can really play it well.

Edited by bolt (09/02/13 04:41 PM)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2142958 - 09/02/13 05:23 PM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: bolt]
SoundThumb Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
It beats being sick of the piece before you can really play it well. Count your blessings.

#2142962 - 09/02/13 05:26 PM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: bolt]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: bolt
Does this happen to anyone else? By the time I have a piece up to the required standard I'm tired of it, even if I really liked it at first. Not for every piece but for many of them.

Wondering if this is just par for the course, or if maybe it indicates the material I'm working on is a bit too difficult for my level.

I mean, I would hate to think it will always be like this - sick of the piece by the time I can really play it well.

It depends on the piece.
A few pieces I learned as a kid or teenager I can still play today. Because from time to time, I play them. It's just that I like the music, and it's agreeable to play. Pieces by Beethoven, Schubert, Mozart are among the lot.
I have however forgotten every Chopin piece I've ever played. Chopin has too many notes and too little music in my opinion. So out of my playing repertoire it went.
Liszt is also something I don't keep.

But sometimes it's also the music that's difficult to keep in my mind. Like the sonata op.1 by Alban Berg, which I can't play anymore (I played it as a piece for my final exam at University). Debussy, and some trickier pieces by Schubert than the ones I keep playing, are also not my cup of tea.

Bottom line: I only keep pieces in my repertoire if
1) I like the music
AND
2) The effort of playing it is reasonable.

So the jury for the two Grieg pieces I've learned for the Grieg recital is still out.

#2142968 - 09/02/13 05:31 PM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: bolt]
Whizbang Online   content
500 Post Club Member

It's par for the course, I suspect, if not for every piece worked on by every pianist then at least for some pieces worked on by every pianist.

I find that if you set such pieces aside for a number of weeks, that at least some will reassert their original charm.

#2142970 - 09/02/13 05:32 PM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: bolt]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
This happens to me quite a lot too. I guess it is because as a beginner each piece I choose is being learnt firstly, because I like the sound but secondly and more important it presents a challenge. Like all challenges once overcome it is no longer interesting and it's off to the next challenge.

#2142972 - 09/02/13 05:33 PM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: bolt]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
[By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it]

I think that usually happens to me as well.

But then, six months later, when I haven't played it in awhile, it can sound fresh and wonderful again.

#2142980 - 09/02/13 05:44 PM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: AZ_Astro]
255 Offline

Originally Posted By: AZ_Astro
But then, six months later, when I haven't played it in awhile, it can sound fresh and wonderful again.

Yep.
Even earlier.

#2142987 - 09/02/13 05:58 PM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: bolt]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
I don't believe it. I just read that wonderful "too many notes" quote from Amadeus. (PatH). Except I'm not so sure it was a quote.

And, yes right now I'm in the throes of getting a very dark and stormy piece ready for the November recital. I got to the point of it being fun to play about a month ago. Now I sometimes have to drag myself to practice it. Right now I'm thoroughly sick of it which is why I'm sitting here on the bench with the piece in front of me venting on my iPhone My husband is probably just as sick of it. Last night I went all Celtic and played a bunch of Scottish and Irish ballads. My husband went out of his way to tell me how much he enjoyed them. He never compliments me. I think that counts as an intended to be subtle hint.

#2142991 - 09/02/13 06:10 PM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: -Frycek]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: -Frycek
I don't believe it. I just read that wonderful "too many notes" quote from Amadeus. (PatH). Except I'm no so sure it was a quote.

It wasn't intentional. It's just my opinion.
But in Mozart's case, I believe that there are as many notes as necessary. With Chopin, I feel you could leave out lots of notes and still have the same amount of music.

#2142992 - 09/02/13 06:10 PM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: bolt]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I generally like pieces better when I can play them. I mainly get sick of my errors.

#2142998 - 09/02/13 06:18 PM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: 255]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Originally Posted By: 255
Originally Posted By: AZ_Astro

Yep.
Even earlier.

Me too - all the damn time! If I`m not practicing it for a recital (like Grieg) then it gets chorded. And shortened. And hacked about. The guy`s dead, so it doesn`t matter . . . .what`s a few notes here and there?

I`m in the middle of hacking one of Mendellsohn`s best loved pieces; I didn`t like the middle 8 . . . . smokin

""

#2143013 - 09/02/13 06:40 PM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: patH]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: patH
I don't believe it. I just read that wonderful "too many notes" quote from Amadeus. (PatH). Except I'm no so sure it was a quote.

It wasn't intentional. It's just my opinion.
But in Mozart's case, I believe that there are as many notes as necessary. With Chopin, I feel you could leave out lots of notes and still have the same amount of music.

I totally disagree but you, like Emperor Joseph, are entitled to your opinion.

#2143041 - 09/02/13 07:24 PM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: Whizbang]
bolt Offline

Originally Posted By: Whizbang
I find that if you set such pieces aside for a number of weeks, that at least some will reassert their original charm.

Originally Posted By: Az_Astro

But the rub here could be that by the time you become unsick of it you also become ungood at playing it! So then you have to have a bit of a practice to come back up to the level, and then guess what happens... some kind of Heisenberg corollary at work here.

#2143047 - 09/02/13 07:38 PM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: bolt]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
There are basically three options:

1)Learn to practice more efficiently so you only have to spend as much time as possible practicing pieces you're not necessarily enthralled by (i.e. become more process-oriented and less goal-oriented).

2)Simply change your repertoire selections to ones which you are completely enthralled by - this will motivate you to practice them longer and with greater attention because you love the music and you want to be able to play them.

3)Or carry on with your current practice routine/habits and select shorter pieces of repertoire to learn that may or may not fit into category 2.

When this happens to me, sometimes I try and improve in all three categories.

#2143049 - 09/02/13 07:41 PM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: bolt]
neuralfirings Offline

Originally Posted By: Bobpickle
But the rub here could be that by the time you become unsick of it you also become ungood at playing it! So then you have to have a bit of a practice to come back up to the level, and then guess what happens... some kind of Heisenberg corollary at work here.

I think it makes sense right? Thinking that you are "done" with a piece implies that you have nothing else to work on on the piece. If you have nothing else to work on, you get bored. By the time you get back to a piece, you find out you have tons to work on ("ungood" as you refer), then you become interested because you have more progress within your grasp.

Of course, you can argue that you are never really "done" with a piece, there's always more to improve on and fine-tune. However, within each person's level there does come a point of diminishing returns, so let's just call that point "done."

Another thought: maybe by the time you come back 6 month or 6 years later, you have improved as a musician. Now, that "done" point/point of diminishing return is further out and you can progress at a good speed again.

Edited by neuralfirings (09/02/13 07:42 PM)

#2143050 - 09/02/13 07:42 PM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: bolt]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Get easier music or better music, or both.

#2143051 - 09/02/13 07:43 PM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: bolt]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Sometimes we pick pieces that are just too much work for their worth. We like them, but we don't love them or grow to love them. When we don't make progress, we lose enthusiasm. We can even know that there are things that we need to work out in a piece, but we have since fallen out of love with it and don't really want to put the extra effort in.

I've had this happen. In the instance where I still love the piece but I'm not progressing (too hard, not efficient enough practice to make good progress or life gets in the way), it's probably a good idea to set it aside for a time when you can devote to it what it needs. Unless you have to play that piece for something, best to move on.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2143060 - 09/02/13 07:58 PM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: malkin]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: malkin

+1

#2143081 - 09/02/13 08:49 PM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: bolt]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: under monsoon clouds
I'm afraid I've experienced this all too many times, bolt. It was worst when I did my senior recital for my guitar degree many years ago; after the months of being stuck working on the same pieces, by the time the recital date actually arrived, it was hard to care about them anymore. Right now I'm preparing for a dance performance in a couple of days, one that's been delayed a number of times, so that the piece feels rather stale to me, even though I still don't have it down as solidly as I'd like.

And I'm closing in on being able to play a Chopin etude, Op. 10 No. 3, at a performable level. For quite a while I was deeply emotionally involved with it. Now it's more like I'm just going through the motions as I practice it. But as some of you have said, at some point down the road my relationship with it will change again and I'll be able to reconnect with its beauty and passion. I often circle back around to pieces over the years, and with masterpieces like this, I always find something new.

Quite often I've thought of that line from Amadeus, "Too many notes!" And I joke with myself about it especially when Chopin (or Rachmaninov, who's awful that way) inflicts gigantic chords on me that use up nearly all my fingers. But seriously, Chopin's music in general is pretty tightly constructed. One could add or subtract ornamentation, and in fact he did during his lifetime. But the fundamental structures are quite strong and well thought-out.

If someone hears a piece as having "too many notes," it may be because those many notes are setting up a texture rather than being meant to be heard individually. If we play the piece below the optimal tempo, we may not be able to hear how the underlying melody is meant to emerge from that texture, and it may seem to have "too little music." I had this experience the other day when I read through a Rachmaninov piece that I wasn't familiar with. It seemed meaningless and ugly at the tempo at which I was able to read it. Then I went to listen to it on YouTube, and it made perfect sense at its true tempo. That may not be quite what's happened with anyone here, but it's a possibility.

Elene

Blog: http://elenedom.wordpress.com

#2143226 - 09/03/13 02:50 AM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: malkin]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California

Definitely, though not always possible.

#2143268 - 09/03/13 05:20 AM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: bolt]
Jessiebear Offline

Loc: New Zealand
I generally like pieces better when I can play them. I mainly get sick of my errors.
-Yes! Same here.

Originally Posted By: neuralfirings
I think it makes sense right? Thinking that you are "done" with a piece implies that you have nothing else to work on on the piece. If you have nothing else to work on, you get bored.
Agree. There's always something to learn. If I nail it technically and expression-wise, the next step is ditching the sheet music LOL.

I have a dozen or so songs left over from my teenage years (Bethoven, Chopin, couple of ragtimes, etc) that I keep because I like them and they challenge me.

Now I am absolutely in love with my works in progress at the moment. I play them in chunks though, attacking the tricky bits, rather than playing right through all the time, so I don't get bored.

Maybe try and choose music now that really knocks you over the head, so it's a pleasure to play every day for 3 months LOL

#2143281 - 09/03/13 06:58 AM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: bolt]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
This discussion captures my experience of the summer...too much work and not enough play. The MUSIC I want to hear is not emerging soon enough. I've set myself a variety of pieces (new ones, easy ones, new-formerly learned ones, etc) in the dream of having a repertoire of pieces that I can bring out and play fluidly. And of course the two Grieg pieces. So much has improved and so much more needs to happen to play like I hear it in my mind. So...then I don't like the piece as much. The new but formerly learned pieces may hold the most promise for becoming the music I want (as someone else said). I keep waiting for the magical moment when my fingers and my musical mind intersect. :-)

Love to learn

#2143653 - 09/03/13 08:27 PM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: bolt]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
And, yes right now I'm in the throes of getting a very dark and stormy piece ready for the November recital.
I can barely contain myself from the excitement. smile

It's been too long since you participated in a recital and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm going with the "Edward" Ballad by Brahms - also a little dark and stormy! Are you offering any clues as to what your piece might be or is it a surprise?

As to the problem in the OP I get around it by not practising the sections I've done until I've done 'em all. I then go back revisiting each section until I know each one well enough to put the whole piece together.

#2143838 - 09/04/13 03:40 AM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: zrtf90]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: zrtf90
[quote=-Frycek]

It's been too long since you participated in a recital and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm going with the "Edward" Ballad by Brahms - also a little dark and stormy! Are you offering any clues as to what your piece might be or is it a surprise?

Chopin''s op 28 nr 24 prelude

#2143870 - 09/04/13 06:09 AM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: -Frycek]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Calling it a "tune" rather than a "piece" usually cures this disorder.

smile

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2143878 - 09/04/13 06:40 AM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: bolt]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Oh, wow, same key, too!

Fabulous piece. I'm looking forward to this even more now! smile

#2143885 - 09/04/13 07:22 AM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: zrtf90]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: zrtf90
Oh, wow, same key, too!

Fabulous piece. I'm looking forward to this even more now! smile

It's a dark and stormy key. wink. Hope we both do justice to them.

#2144305 - 09/04/13 10:27 PM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: Elene]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: Elene
Quite often I've thought of that line from Amadeus, "Too many notes!" And I joke with myself about it especially when Chopin (or Rachmaninov, who's awful that way) inflicts gigantic chords on me that use up nearly all my fingers. But seriously, Chopin's music in general is pretty tightly constructed. One could add or subtract ornamentation, and in fact he did during his lifetime. But the fundamental structures are quite strong and well thought-out.
Reminds me of the time I showed my sister (who does not play the piano) the sheet music from Chopin 10/3. She looked at it and said, "I don't think that's even legal. People don't have enough fingers for that."

#2144333 - 09/04/13 11:24 PM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: bolt]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: bolt

My experience with this issue is pretty much that same.

The way it seems to go for me is that I practice a piece (actually multiple pieces simultaneously) for as long as I can stand it and then I put it aside for a period of time. Sometimes that period of time can be many months. Then, when the mood strikes me or when I rediscover the piece I may jump back in and give it another go. I may or may not get farther into it the second time. If not, back it goes into the archives. Eventually, it will surface again and I will find that I am now able to finish it successfully. Then it goes into my repertoire for polishing periodically.

And, so it goes .... on ... and ... on ...

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2147057 - 09/09/13 04:13 PM Re: By the time I'm done with the piece I'm tired of it [Re: malkin]
bolt Offline

You know, this turned out to be true for me too. Now that I can play this piece quite well I'm not fed up with it any more and actually enjoy playing it, in fact am proud to play it.

Anyway, a lot of good replies in this thread, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Rankings
by phantomFive
Today at 07:59 PM
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
Today at 03:43 PM
Suites Georg Böhm
by Johan B
Today at 03:40 PM
Your Favorite key action under 1,000 USD?
by login
Today at 03:18 PM
Recording the results of Pianoteq
by Roger Ransom
Today at 01:35 PM
Who's Online
118 registered (anotherscott, Barry1963, A Guy, AndreiN, 41 invisible), 1187 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76643 Members
42 Forums
158480 Topics
2327373 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission