Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2143086 - 09/02/13 09:01 PM Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question
Psychonaut Offline

Does anyone know the best source for getting either a paper sheet book or high quality pdf for the Bach Inventions 772-786?

I need the fingering cues, but am not interested in any added ornamental notations. Does Schirmer's have the fingering?

Also, I would like a relatively large staff, since my eyes aren't the greatest. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2143531 - 09/03/13 04:48 PM Re: Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question [Re: Psychonaut]
jdw Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Hmm, guess I'm not the only one who doesn't really know the answer to your questions. My edition is Kalmus, which has some suggested fingerings. I haven't compared it with other editions, though.
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2143537 - 09/03/13 05:01 PM Re: Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question [Re: Psychonaut]
PianoStudent88 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
If Alfred Masterworks has an edition, probably edited by Palmer, I would expect that to have fingerings in it. There may be suggestions of ornaments, but they would be printed in grey type so you can easily tell they are editorial.

Henle provides editions both with and without fingering, so by being careful about which publication number you buy, you can acquire fingerings that way. There won't be any ornaments added beyond what appears in the original sources.

If you can find these on sheetmusicplus.com, then you can look at the preview pages to gauge the staff size.

#2143565 - 09/03/13 06:07 PM Re: Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question [Re: PianoStudent88]
Anne H Offline

Hmm...I have the Schirmer edition with the Czerny fingerings which I like, but the staff size isn't huge. I find it also does a good job with separating out ornaments and those kinds of things.
Bach Inventions
Einaudi - Berlin Song, Reverie

#2143607 - 09/03/13 07:19 PM Re: Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question [Re: Psychonaut]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Richard Jones edited the ABRSM editions in both the Signature Series (Inventions and Sinfonias) and the Easier Piano Pieces series (just the Two Part Inventions).

The print is very clear in both editions and I tend to prefer them over Henle.

I have the Edition Peters with Czerny's fingerings and the Augener edition with Franklin Taylor's but I think that'll be out of print by now. Neither are as clear as the ABRSM editions.

#2143774 - 09/03/13 11:56 PM Re: Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question [Re: PianoStudent88]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
If Alfred Masterworks has an edition, probably edited by Palmer, I would expect that to have fingerings in it. There may be suggestions of ornaments, but they would be printed in grey type so you can easily tell they are editorial.

I'm using this. Yes the fingerings are suggested, I don't really use them.
The print is so large that an invention typically covers 3 pages (rather than the usual 2 on musicnotes.com).
I usually photocopy the 3rd page so that I don't have to turn any pages when I play the invention.

#2143911 - 09/04/13 08:17 AM Re: Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question [Re: custard apple]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: custard apple
Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88

I'm using this. Yes the fingerings are suggested, I don't really use them.
The print is so large that an invention typically covers 3 pages (rather than the usual 2 on musicnotes.com).
I usually photocopy the 3rd page so that I don't have to turn any pages when I play the invention.

I'm also using this edition and like the slightly larger format. The fingering suggestions are usually pretty good - there are a number of times I have thought, "nope, this will work better" and after a week go back to the one they suggested.

Kawai K3

#2143931 - 09/04/13 09:18 AM Re: Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question [Re: Psychonaut]
Psychonaut Offline

Thanks for the replies, and I will look into all of this. I'm finding the fingering by far to be the single most important barrier to playing BWV 772. Since I'm already something of a piano hack without formal training, I find I can read these notes OK, and that my fingers are fluid enough to play them without too much trouble (at least at relatively slow tempos), but this Bach stuff is (of course) really, really cleverly designed, and if you don't finger them properly, it becomes "oops" I've run out of fingers...

...I reflexively use a 5 when I need a 4, or a 1 when I need a 2 at the beginning of a run, that sort of thing. I clearly have some very bad, sloppy fingering habits to unlearn and relearn.

#2143938 - 09/04/13 09:51 AM Re: Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question [Re: Psychonaut]
PianoStudent88 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
One thing to do is to work out your fingerings slowly, carefully, with much going back and forth and revising measure by measure or even note by note as you work it out and discover you've run out of fingers a measure later. This is note by note, before you start practicing it. Then when you have a fingering that works, write it in and follow it. That will prevent accidentally running out of fingers.

The fun begins when there doesn't seem to be any fingering that doesn't run out of fingers... this is one of the reasons I like fingered editions, even when I modify their fingerings.

#2144365 - 09/05/13 12:16 AM Re: Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question [Re: PianoStudent88]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
I have both the Henle and the Wiener Urtext with fingerings, I do prefer the latter, it's somehow easier for my eyes. But for more complete fingerings, you could check out the Busoni edition:
http://petrucci.mus.auth.gr/imglnks/usimg/b/b2/IMSLP42098-PMLP03267-Inventions_Busoni.pdf

I usually have to figure out much of the fingerings myself anyway due to my hand shape...

#2144450 - 09/05/13 04:01 AM Re: Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question [Re: Psychonaut]
peekay Offline

In Bach Inventions, there are many repeating patterns. So as much as possible, you want to use the same fingering for the same/similar patterns.

E.g., in BWV 772, for the right hand, rising notes might start with finger 1 and descending ones might start with the 4th finger (just before the next beat at the 3rd finger).

There are exceptions of course, but maybe 80% of the Invention might be fingered consistently in this way.

The more you notice these patterns, the more consistent / efficient your fingering will be. So you can build your fingering for whole patterns and even phrases, instead of note-by-note. This will help the musicality of your playing as well.

Edited by peekay (09/05/13 04:08 AM)

#2144504 - 09/05/13 08:58 AM Re: Bach Inventions Sheet Music Question [Re: outo]
Psychonaut Offline

Originally Posted By: outo
I have both the Henle and the Wiener Urtext with fingerings, I do prefer the latter, it's somehow easier for my eyes. But for more complete fingerings, you could check out the Busoni edition:
http://petrucci.mus.auth.gr/imglnks/usimg/b/b2/IMSLP42098-PMLP03267-Inventions_Busoni.pdf

I usually have to figure out much of the fingerings myself anyway due to my hand shape...

Awesome resource, thank you! I went ahead and purchased a Czerny spiral-bound edition of both the two and three part Inventions, as well as a book called The Complete Book of Scales, Chords, Arpeggios and Cadences from Alfred Publishing, but will definitely be exploring this Busoni pdf too.

Edited by Psychonaut (09/05/13 09:27 AM)

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
116 registered (A Guy, ajames, albumblatter, Al LaPorte, 36251, 36 invisible), 1111 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157135 Topics
2307753 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
? 4 CA95/CS10 owners - soundboard vs external speakers
by markmarz
08/29/14 05:55 AM
Might play in hotel lounges/bars!!
by Pover
08/29/14 04:18 AM
a video of Alexander Siloti's daughter playing the piano
by Michael Sayers
08/28/14 08:26 PM
Kimball spinet neoprene lifter nuts
by dschwoyer
08/28/14 08:22 PM
Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas
by ColinD
08/28/14 07:29 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission