Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
#2143285 - 09/03/13 07:12 AM Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future?
Rhodie73 Offline

Loc: New York
I haven't received my October issue of Keyboard yet, but I've heard that in addition to seeing MOXF6/8 ads there is also an ad for an upcoming CP4 stage piano. Can someone who has the October issue of Keyboard please confirm this. This would be great news if Yamaha finally updated the CP5 in a positive way!

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2143310 - 09/03/13 08:22 AM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: Rhodie73]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I did notice that Sweetwater no longer has the CP5.

#2143323 - 09/03/13 08:51 AM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: Rhodie73]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Yup (as in Yes). Price, official introduction, when it actually hits the stores : all still a mystery ...

What I personally am really (!) curious about is how this affects the introduction dates of competing new products from the other brands , like Roland and Kawai. Will they jump in earlier than they wanted , because of Yammies new products, or still wait until current stock sinks below a certain threshold ? I hope for sooner releases - products must be ready for launch you'd expect, after such a long time since the previous major product updates (MP series, RD series).

#2143379 - 09/03/13 11:10 AM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: Rhodie73]
36251 Offline
500 Post Club Member

cool

we have a winner!

#2143385 - 09/03/13 11:18 AM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: Rhodie73]
Jake Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Interesting. I thought that Yamaha had exhausted its ability to use irrational, confusing product numbers.

#2143390 - 09/03/13 11:23 AM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: Jake Jackson]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jake Jackson
Interesting. I thought that Yamaha had exhausted its ability to use irrational, confusing product numbers.

They haven't even gotten gotten to the irrational numbers yet. Give them time. "Check out the new Yamaha CP-Pi today!"

#2143433 - 09/03/13 01:06 PM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: Rhodie73]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
Unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat, RD-700NX will still be king.

#2143526 - 09/03/13 04:36 PM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: JFP]
Rhodie73 Offline

Originally Posted By: JFP
Yup (as in Yes). Price, official introduction, when it actually hits the stores : all still a mystery ...

What I personally am really (!) curious about is how this affects the introduction dates of competing new products from the other brands , like Roland and Kawai. Will they jump in earlier than they wanted , because of Yammies new products, or still wait until current stock sinks below a certain threshold ? I hope for sooner releases - products must be ready for launch you'd expect, after such a long time since the previous major product updates (MP series, RD series).

Thanks JFP for the confirmation! I really am interested to see what Yamaha does with this one. The CP5 is a great instrument, just a little too heavy and the Acoustic Pianos needed more work. The electric pianos are stellar!

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
I did notice that Sweetwater no longer has the CP5.

I checked and noticed that too. I suppose we will find out by the end of this month hopefully. If there is already an ad for the CP4 in an October issue, there should be some announcement this month.

#2143541 - 09/03/13 05:07 PM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: Rhodie73]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

#2143545 - 09/03/13 05:17 PM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: Rhodie73]
Pete14 Offline

So, no CP6?

#2143546 - 09/03/13 05:21 PM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: Rhodie73]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Here's a little exercise: think of the major things that irritated you about the CP5. Then imagine what a listening manufacturer might do about them.

Btw, nice kitty pic, Plinky88! wink

https://soundcloud.com/richards-recordings/sets/strange-charm-waiting-for-the/s-ppGuy

"can hardly wait to hear what voxpox has to say..."
[HisKidd, May 2014]

#2143550 - 09/03/13 05:33 PM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: voxpops]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: voxpops
Here's a little exercise: think of the major things that irritated you about the CP5. Then imagine what a listening manufacturer might do about them.

Btw, nice kitty pic, Plinky88! wink

Just happy someone let that poor cat out of the bag!

#2143691 - 09/03/13 10:12 PM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: Rhodie73]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Originally Posted By: Rhodie73
I haven't received my October issue of Keyboard yet, but I've heard that in addition to seeing MOXF6/8 ads there is also an ad for an upcoming CP4 stage piano. Can someone who has the October issue of Keyboard please confirm this. This would be great news if Yamaha finally updated the CP5 in a positive way!

I received it today. The ad for the CP4 with Chuck Leavell is on the second last page.

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP5, CP4, Nord Piano 2
RCF TT08A & TT22A speakers

#2143700 - 09/03/13 10:26 PM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: Rhodie73]
dje31 Offline

Dare I say it? Pics or it didn't happen.

#2143798 - 09/04/13 12:38 AM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: Rhodie73]
jarosujo Offline

Loc: Slovakia
I don't have big expectations, it's Yamaha. Marketing/Cost control department has been winning over R&D for quite a long time...
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2

#2143978 - 09/04/13 11:06 AM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: jarosujo]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Originally Posted By: jarosujo
I don't have big expectations, it's Yamaha. Marketing/Cost control department has been winning over R&D for quite a long time...

Well there might be just one or two interesting new things but your mostly correct ....

#2143985 - 09/04/13 11:18 AM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: Rhodie73]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well , the specs are almost always repacked and refilled familiar soundsets of the brand (same goes for Roland etc) ; what makes it interesting for people gigging is : size, weight , price, overall usefulness of sounds and hardware. So even if a product is not revolutionary in any way, improvements that can make the live of a musician more easy and fun will still sell the board to the public, no matter what.

Recycling , repackaging , stepwise improvements (or even cutback in features as we've seen several times these years); all nothing exiting or new. Whenever you are in need of another board though , you're still happy at least 'some' details have been reworked for the better.

IMHO real interesting stuff will most probably come from small startups and not from the well-known brands that sit comfortably on their butt in this marked.

Edited by JFP (09/04/13 11:19 AM)

#2143995 - 09/04/13 11:39 AM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: Rhodie73]
dje31 Offline

Weren't the two biggest knocks on the CP5 the size / weight and the ( initially, without reading the manual first ( sometimes multiple times ) ) non-intuitive user interface? Have they fixed those with the CP4? Or is it a different animal / niche altogether?

#2144000 - 09/04/13 11:52 AM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: Rhodie73]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Weight : yes, Size: maybe, Interface: nobody knows (yet)

#2144001 - 09/04/13 11:52 AM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: Rhodie73]
p120player Offline

Loc: Germany
Could somebody maybe paste the ad so we can stop speculating about the features? Thanks in advance!

#2144107 - 09/04/13 03:51 PM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: Rhodie73]
RonL Offline

The Ad reads

CP4

- 45 Premium Grand pianos including the CFX, CFIII and the S6
- 47 Vintage electric pianos (tine, reed, DX and original CP80)
- 341 Voices including Basses, Clavs, Organs, Strings and Pads based on our flagship Motif
- 62 Virtual Circuit Modeling effects, Reverb, Chorus, Master 5 band EQ and Compressor
- Easy Splits and Layers with large lighted buttons
- 88 Note Graded Hammer Wooden Key Action with Synthetic Ivory tops
- Slim, elegant lightweight (38.5 lbs.) design for portability
- FC3 foot pedal for half damper and sound board resonance included

Though I would think it is not 45 or 47 different pianos/EPs but rather presets.

I love my CP5, I think the sound and feel are just what I am looking for so I am quite excited about this new board, even if it is a rehash of existing technology - the fact that the weight is down below 40 pounds is it's best feature. Psyched.

#2144111 - 09/04/13 03:59 PM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: Rhodie73]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Thanks for posting, RonL.

This board could be a real winner: most of the virtues of the CP5, but without the weight, bulk, or operational difficulty, and with new piano samples as the icing on the cake.

Would I trade the NP or SV-1 for it? I don't know, but I might be tempted if it lives up to expectations.

Edited by voxpops (09/04/13 04:03 PM)

https://soundcloud.com/richards-recordings/sets/strange-charm-waiting-for-the/s-ppGuy

"can hardly wait to hear what voxpox has to say..."
[HisKidd, May 2014]

#2144125 - 09/04/13 04:25 PM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: p120player]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

In addition to what RonL posted...

They call it "simply the best stage piano Yamaha has ever made." I'm not sure where that leaves the CP1!

No mention of SCM

From the picture, it appears to be closer to slab piano dimensions, not as deep as the CP5. Panel control arrangement looks simplified, more reminiscent of the MX than the CP5. It has pitch AND mod wheels (not just pitch like the CP5), and the wheels are above the keys instead of to the left of them, so the board should be less wide as well. And something I always wish for... the controls and the *display* are all at the front of the panel, right behind the back of the keys. You should be able to place the front of a 61-key organ/synth board on the back of the panel and have minimal distance between your 88 and 61 keys.

* quoting: "Most importantly, an easy to understand interface with large lighted buttons for splits and layers"

So yes, dje31, it looks like they addressed size, weight, and interface!

This is a couple of pounds lighter than the Nord Piano 2, which seems to have become something of a go-to model for those who really like the 50+ pound DPs but can't deal with the weight. I think the Nord may be squeezed by this one, as someone looking for this kind of professional calibre DP will now have an alternative to the Nord that will be lighter, probably better feeling, probably cheaper (I'm guessing it will sell for no more than the CP5 did).

#2144131 - 09/04/13 04:35 PM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: anotherscott]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
This is a couple of pounds lighter than the Nord Piano 2, which seems to have become something of a go-to model for those who really like the 50+ pound DPs but can't deal with the weight. I think the Nord may be squeezed by this one, as someone looking for this kind of professional calibre DP will now have an alternative to the Nord that will be lighter, probably better feeling, probably cheaper (I'm guessing it will sell for no more than the CP5 did).

... which might be a good thing as it would challenge Clavia to improve on the NP2. Or (dreaming) to finally put out a rack version of the NP.

#2144132 - 09/04/13 04:35 PM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: voxpops]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: voxpops
Would I trade the NP or SV-1 for it? I don't know, but I might be tempted if it lives up to expectations.

Lighter weight than either of them, and more friendly design for stacking a second board above, and presumably much better split/layer functions than those boards, and pitch/mod wheels... and I think it's pretty safe to assume that the AP sounds are at least better than the SV-1 and that the EP sounds are at least better than the NP... and that it will have the best action of the three. We'll have to see where it is priced. But if it sounds at least as good as the Nord for AP and the SV1 for EP, I expect I'd easily take it over those boards. I'd be tempted to make it my bottom board except 38.5 lbs is still more than I want to travel with. I'm Casio-spoiled. But depending on how its weight is distributed and how the design lets you grip it, sometimes extra weight may not be as bad as you expect.

#2144139 - 09/04/13 04:47 PM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: RonL]
Rhodie73 Offline

Originally Posted By: RonL
The Ad reads

CP4

- 45 Premium Grand pianos including the CFX, CFIII and the S6
- 47 Vintage electric pianos (tine, reed, DX and original CP80)
- 341 Voices including Basses, Clavs, Organs, Strings and Pads based on our flagship Motif
- 62 Virtual Circuit Modeling effects, Reverb, Chorus, Master 5 band EQ and Compressor
- Easy Splits and Layers with large lighted buttons
- 88 Note Graded Hammer Wooden Key Action with Synthetic Ivory tops
- Slim, elegant lightweight (38.5 lbs.) design for portability
- FC3 foot pedal for half damper and sound board resonance included

Though I would think it is not 45 or 47 different pianos/EPs but rather presets.

I love my CP5, I think the sound and feel are just what I am looking for so I am quite excited about this new board, even if it is a rehash of existing technology - the fact that the weight is down below 40 pounds is it's best feature. Psyched.

Thanks you for posting this! So far as long as Yamaha doesn't F$&k up the EPs that were already stellar and improve the APs as it seems (CFX sample) then this may be the stage piano I can live wih for a while. Reading those specs it really looks like the silent treatment from Yamaha was them getting their act together in the stage piano department and possibly more later next year.

Edited by Rhodie73 (09/04/13 04:50 PM)

#2144155 - 09/04/13 05:19 PM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: Rhodie73]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
The action has changed from NW-STAGE to GH, but it has an extra base piano sound set.

#2144163 - 09/04/13 05:28 PM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: Rhodie73]
RonL Offline

fingers crossed on this one...moving the CP5 around is less and less fun every gig.

I forgot to mention the addition of the mod wheel...excellent, though it kind of looks like there are only two volume sliders (CP5 has four knobs) and I don't see dedicated eq knobs ( CP5 has five and I like them). For the record I don't think the CP5 is THAT hard to grok. It's an odd interface but I can get it to do the simple things I need to do.

I think Yamaha is making an effort to address all of the short comings and complaints from users on the CP1/5. I hope they don't screw up the action, though it could use just a little more throw to be perfect.

and to think I almost pulled the trigger on a Nord Stage or Nord Piano this week...time to holster that credit card for a bit.

#2144166 - 09/04/13 05:38 PM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: xorbe]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: xorbe
The action has changed from NW-STAGE to GH, but it has an extra base piano sound set.

That's a bit of a shame, actually. I have never used NW-Stage but the folks in this forum who do say it's a pretty great action. GH is fine but not exactly special.

#2144167 - 09/04/13 05:38 PM Re: Possible Yamaha CP4 in the future? [Re: xorbe]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: xorbe

It is a wooden action, so it is not their same old GH action. It could be the NW action, but graded (whereas NW has previously been balanced). Or some other kind of "in between" variation.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
78 registered (Austin D, Atrys, Anticlock, Art_Vandelay, AndrewJCW, 25 invisible), 1289 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156219 Topics
2294236 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
07/27/14 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
07/27/14 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
07/27/14 08:31 PM
Schulze Pollmann 113e Moderno detail information?
by pdxfz1
07/27/14 07:12 PM
Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on?
by Alex1
07/27/14 05:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission