Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2143509 - 09/03/13 04:00 PM Low intermediate Bach's Preludes
Roderick T Beaman Offline

Loc: Orange Park, Florida
:oDoes anyone know of a good book of Bach's Preludes for a low intermediate player? laugh

The things you do in your todays are your legacy for all of your tomorrows.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2143511 - 09/03/13 04:06 PM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Roderick T Beaman]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Do you mean the Little Preludes, the Preludes from the Well-Tempered Clavier, or something else?

#2143591 - 09/03/13 06:57 PM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Roderick T Beaman]
KurtZ Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
Low intermediate can mean a lot of things. When I think low intermediate, I think of the Anna Magdalena notebooks rather than any of the preludes.

Kurt

#2143595 - 09/03/13 07:03 PM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Roderick T Beaman]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
"Low intermediate" doesn't mean anything - it's just relative to something else. And I definitely think the WTC preludes would not fit into ANYONE'S definition of low intermediate. grin

Polyphonist

#2143679 - 09/03/13 09:42 PM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Roderick T Beaman]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
If you are early intermediate (which, as others pointed out, is quite different depending on who you're talking to), chances are the Little Preludes would be too difficult. WTC would be way out of that league. Anna Magdalena Notebook pieces would be good to study, however. Are you interested in playing just Bach, Baroque music in general, or finding some challenging music that is similar to what Baroque pieces offer?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2143741 - 09/03/13 11:19 PM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Roderick T Beaman]
peekay Offline

You can try Little Prelude in C Major BWV 939 (see Google). BWV 939 is not one of the Six Little Preludes but its melody will be instantly recognizable.

BWV 939 should not be confused with Little Prelude in C Major BWV 933 (which is one of the Six Little Preludes).

BWV 939 is suitable for intermediate players, which for reference would be RCM Grade 5 or ABRSM Grade 3.

The other prelude, BWV 933, is considerably more difficult. Basically if you can play the 933 piece, you can probably sight-read the 939 piece. (On the other hand, if you can play the WTC preludes, you can probably sight-read BWV 933).

#2143918 - 09/04/13 08:47 AM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: peekay]

Originally Posted By: peekay
You can try Little Prelude in C Major BWV 939 (see Google). BWV 939 is not one of the Six Little Preludes but its melody will be instantly recognizable.

BWV 939 should not be confused with Little Prelude in C Major BWV 933 (which is one of the Six Little Preludes).

BWV 939 is suitable for intermediate players, which for reference would be RCM Grade 5 or ABRSM Grade 3.

The other prelude, BWV 933, is considerably more difficult. Basically if you can play the 933 piece, you can probably sight-read the 939 piece. (On the other hand, if you can play the WTC preludes, you can probably sight-read BWV 933).
Depending on what "low intermediate" means, BWV 939 is still challenging - Grade 5 RCM is IMO intermediate as you indicated. This piece presents a lot more equality and independence in the hands than you'd get in AMB notebook pieces.

So I guess the real question for the OP is what pieces can you play well right now? That will help us in suggesting appropriate pieces for your level.

#2143935 - 09/04/13 09:39 AM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Roderick T Beaman]
timmyab Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
BWV 999 in C minor is worth having a look at.It looks and sounds more difficult than it actually is because the figures repeat a lot.It's either ABRSM grade 3 or 4, probably 4 I would think.It's a really nice piece as well.

#2144103 - 09/04/13 03:44 PM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Roderick T Beaman]

I was given a prelude to play by a teacher & now have it down pretty well but I have no idea which one it is. I am approaching Bach's Prelude in C Major in Carl Humphries' Piano Handbook and am now tackling Beethoven's Fur Elise. I have a Bach Musette down pretty well & Schumann's Humming Song down pretty well.

I apologize because I may have opened up something and not known exactly what i was doing. I just enjoy the Preludes I've heard.

I extend my heartfelt thanks for the evidently heartfelt help everyone has tried to be.

#2144142 - 09/04/13 04:55 PM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Roderick T Beaman]
starbug Offline

Loc: Scotland, United Kingdom, Sol,...
Bwv's

1007 piano version

Imlsp is your friend.

#2144502 - 09/05/13 08:55 AM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Roderick T Beaman]

At the risk of making a further fool of myself, what do BMV & Imlsp mean?

#2144508 - 09/05/13 09:05 AM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Roderick T Beaman]

Originally Posted By: Roderick T Beaman
At the risk of making a further fool of myself, what do BMV & Imlsp mean?
You are not a fool! I think the problem is that with terms like "intermediate" or "advanced" etc., no one knows what that means really. Everyone's opinion is different. So the best way we can help you, is for you to let us know what you are currently able to play well.

BWV stands for "Bach-Werke-Verzeichnis", or Bach Works Catalog. They are numbers, similar to opus numbers that have been assigned to every piece written by J.S. Bach. It's a way to distinguish between all of his keyboard preludes, for example.

IMSLP is imslp.org, a website full of public domain music. These are publishers that for whatever reason have lost their copyright license to works they've published, and are therefore free for the taking.

#2144827 - 09/05/13 07:55 PM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Morodiene]

smile
Thank you very much. And I've just looked at the top of the sheet music I've been playing and the label of my printout & the Prelude I've been playing is in C major. I'm doing pretty well with it with the metronome set at about 110 per minute.
Hope that gives some insight?

I am just starting Fur Elise @ 70 per minute.

#2144832 - 09/05/13 08:02 PM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Roderick T Beaman]

smile
Thank you very much. And I've just looked at the top of the sheet music I've been playing and the label of my printout & the Prelude I've been playing is in C major. I'm doing pretty well with it with the metronome set at about 110 per minute.
Hope that gives some insight?

I am just starting Fur Elise @ 70 per minute.
Are these the only two pieces you've ever played?

#2144867 - 09/05/13 09:21 PM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Morodiene]

smile
No. I've also done the previous parts of Carl Humphries' The Piano Handbook. The pieces have gotten progressively more difficult & have included Greensleeves, Schumann's The Humming Song, A Bach Musette, Haydn's This Dance and a couple of pieces by Henry Purcell.

I also play a few songs like Mack the Knife, Until It's time for You to Go, Hey Jude & My Girl & use Beginning Blues Piano by Eric Kriss.

smile

Edited by Roderick T Beaman (09/05/13 09:22 PM)

#2144869 - 09/05/13 09:25 PM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Morodiene]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
IMSLP is imslp.org, a website full of public domain music. These are publishers that for whatever reason have lost their copyright license to works they've published...

Because the copyright has expired. That's the reason. grin

Polyphonist

#2144872 - 09/05/13 09:29 PM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Roderick T Beaman]

smile
No. I've also done the previous parts of Carl Humphries' The Piano Handbook. The pieces have gotten progressively more difficult & have included Greensleeves, Schumann's The Humming Song, A Bach Musette, Haydn's This Dance and a couple of pieces by Henry Purcell.

I also play a few songs like Mack the Knife, Until It's time for You to Go, Hey Jude & My Girl & use Beginning Blues Piano by Eric Kriss.

smile
You may want to try the Little Preludes then, still a bit of a reach, but should be manageable. They're a good way to get take you to an intermediate level. smile

Here is a book I use for those:
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Bach-Eighteen-Little-Preludes/290056

Edited by Morodiene (09/05/13 09:30 PM)

#2144873 - 09/05/13 09:30 PM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Morodiene]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

smile

smile
You may want to try the Little Preludes then, still a bit of a reach, but should be manageable. They're a good way to get take you to an intermediate level. smile

Try some Anna Magdalena first.

Polyphonist

#2144875 - 09/05/13 09:32 PM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Morodiene]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

This is better.

Polyphonist

#2144907 - 09/05/13 10:22 PM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Roderick T Beaman]
peekay Offline

Going from BWV 939 right to Fur Elise (musically at full speed) is already a decent jump. Most of the Six Little Preludes are yet more difficult than Fur Elise. Doable but hard work I think.

Bach Invention no. 1 is another interesting staple piece at this level.

#2144910 - 09/05/13 10:26 PM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Polyphonist]

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

This is better.
At 3 times the price.

#2145222 - 09/06/13 11:44 AM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Morodiene]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.

This is better.
At 3 times the price.

... and providing less than half the music.

But hey, it's an urtext.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2145231 - 09/06/13 11:50 AM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: ClsscLib]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ClsscLib

This is better.
At 3 times the price.

But hey, it's an urtext.

There are 23 preludes and 7 fugues/fughettas. See this page on their site. So more music, and a much better edition. To me, it's worth the extra $.

Polyphonist

#2145277 - 09/06/13 01:15 PM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Polyphonist]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Originally Posted By: ClsscLib

This is better.
At 3 times the price.

But hey, it's an urtext.

There are 23 preludes and 7 fugues/fughettas. See this page on their site. So more music, and a much better edition. To me, it's worth the extra $.

You are right about the amount of music, and I was wrong. Sorry. I relied mistakenly on a third-party seller's listing of the content.

Understanding what I now do about the musical context, I agree with Polyphonist and would select the edition Polyphonist recommends over the other (which I own and which is not bad).

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2145299 - 09/06/13 01:54 PM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Roderick T Beaman]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Urtext newbie questions:

The Henle edition in the Amazon link looks like someone is credited for the fingerings.

What is the engraving convention in such an urtext++ edition, to distinguish the urtext from the editorial content like fingering?

How much editorial content can an urtext edition have? Do they show places where manuscripts or early editions differ?

#2145434 - 09/06/13 07:12 PM Re: Low intermediate Bach's Preludes [Re: Roderick T Beaman]

I can't thank you guys enough for your help on this. You've really gone out of your way to help someone and that says an awful lot of very good things about all of you. I will purchase the edition polyphonist recommends.

BTW, polyphonist, I was born in Queens and raised in Manhattan on 46th Street, between Second & Third Avenues in the 1950s. I lived in a five floor railroad tenement walkup, on the fifth floor.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A study of the practice behaviors of effective pianists
by lyricmudra
10/01/14 10:37 PM
Ease of play - Yamaha p35 or p105
by DeadPoets
10/01/14 10:37 PM
piano beats in groups
by SKJP
10/01/14 09:42 PM
What to look for in a keyboard
by Tikki56
10/01/14 06:30 PM
Christmas duets for Student and Teacher
by Purpl3keys
10/01/14 06:24 PM
Who's Online
133 registered (ajames, 36251, A Guy, 39 invisible), 1431 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76396 Members
42 Forums
157935 Topics
2319418 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission