Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2143587 - 09/03/13 06:56 PM How deep is a grand piano rim?
Pianist4ever Offline

The piano movers asked me to take some measurements since they will be delivering my grand in a few days. The instrument is 5'1" wide, 6'1" long and how deep? Rim + lid + anything else? The booklet only tells me the height with the legs on.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2143594 - 09/03/13 07:03 PM Re: How deep is a grand piano rim? [Re: Pianist4ever]
Bosendorff Offline

Depends on the piano. It's roughly around 16" for the rim, then you have to add at least 4" for the damper box, plus some thick blankets... Usually, you need at least 24".

#2143604 - 09/03/13 07:16 PM Re: How deep is a grand piano rim? [Re: Pianist4ever]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Most grand pianos are the width of the moving board plus 4 or 5 inches. I would be leery of a mover who does not know this.

#2143614 - 09/03/13 07:26 PM Re: How deep is a grand piano rim? [Re: Pianist4ever]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
I just measured the depth of the case on my grand piano and Bosendorf is right, it is right at 16 inches, except for the front two feet or so of the key bed which adds about 2 or 3 inches to the depth.

Good luck!

Rick

#2143671 - 09/03/13 09:17 PM Re: How deep is a grand piano rim? [Re: Pianist4ever]
Nash. Piano Rescue Offline

Loc: East Nashville,TN Scottsville...
They may be asking because they may just use west coast boards instead of the standard flat type. Personally I think the west coast type are more work, it is basically a frame 12 inches wide with 3 or 4 padded surfaces and sits about 4 inches above the floor. Standard skid boards are closer to the floor about 2 inches tall and completely padded, lower center of gravity = safer in my opinion.

Some movers like to pad the legs then put them on top of the piano and strap the padded leg pouches up there. If it's on a tall dolly with all that stuff up there I have seen them not fit through a low doorway height wise
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

#2143686 - 09/03/13 09:57 PM Re: How deep is a grand piano rim? [Re: Nash. Piano Rescue]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Originally Posted By: Nash. Piano Rescue
They may be asking because they may just use west coast boards instead of the standard flat type. Personally I think the west coast type are more work, it is basically a frame 12 inches wide with 3 or 4 padded surfaces and sits about 4 inches above the floor. Standard skid boards are closer to the floor about 2 inches tall and completely padded, lower center of gravity = safer in my opinion.

Some movers like to pad the legs then put them on top of the piano and strap the padded leg pouches up there. If it's on a tall dolly with all that stuff up there I have seen them not fit through a low doorway height wise

None of which has anything to do with the width of the piano when it is on its side.

#2143891 - 09/04/13 07:40 AM Re: How deep is a grand piano rim? [Re: Pianist4ever]
Pianist4ever Offline

Thanks for the responses.

The situation in question, the piano must go downstairs. There are two options for staircases, and an elevator which I think is too small. He wanted me to measure the elevator on the diagonal, but since the piano is wider than a measuring tape, I wanted to know the depth of the rim/entire instrument width when being moved.

I had a piano moving company look at the potential routes before I chose my instrument so I know it's possible, but it wasn't the same company.

BDB, they should know their job. They do piano moving for one of the nearby music schools in addition to delivering for this dealer. I probably didn't ask the right question when I was on the phone.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pain in hands while playing piano - looking for advice!
by Justin_B
09/20/14 10:15 AM
Buying a piano
by tim1889
09/20/14 09:45 AM
Unison detuning?
by Beemer
09/20/14 06:54 AM
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
09/20/14 03:59 AM
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
09/19/14 09:54 PM
Who's Online
134 registered (Adypiano, 36251, accordeur, ando, AmateurBob, 44 invisible), 1423 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157640 Topics
2315508 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission