2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JoelW
The A major prelude is the hardest piece ever written. laugh

No, that would be Schumann's Opus 15 No 7. laugh

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
The A major prelude is the hardest piece ever written. laugh

No, that would be Schumann's Opus 15 No 7. laugh

Speaking of this piece, I used to hate it. I thought it was cheesy. Not anymore though. The ending totally makes the piece for me.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
...I think Chopin had the greatest musical mind out of them all.

He was up there, certainly - close behind Bach and Beethoven in my opinion, and this Ballade and his Opus 58 Sonata are some of the greatest works ever written, in any genre. However, I think a VERY few compositions do come closer to the divine, such as Beethoven's late string quartets or his last piano sonatas. Only a very few. smile

Nobody could write anything so beautiful yet so simple as the prelude-like opening to the fourth ballade. How the heck did he create that melody?! It blows me away.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
....the primary difficulties in the 4th ballade are musical, not so much technical. And most of the sections aren't all that bad technically (though Mark_C will certainly disagree with me!)

....and I wouldn't be the only one. grin

Your view is an extreme minority view. It might be close to a minority of 1.

And in fact, part of the quite great technical challenge is this thing you said, but for whatever reason you're not counting it a whole lot:

The thirds, but I sort of suck at them.

It does not cease to amaze me how a lot of people say that 'whatever' piece "isn't that hard" -- even though there are parts of it that give them a lot of trouble.

My 'favorite' example of that is Chopin's F minor Fantaisie.

We will have to respectfully disagree laugh

As for my comment about my bad thirds - well, that's why I said they were hard!

As per Poly's comment, well I meant the entire coda was hard, but the thirds especially so. I don't think I faked the section that you referenced, but the octaves are much easier than the rising figures. Rushing is an issue (with all of my playing....sigh) with the entire coda.

And I don't think that I'm an extreme minority view. If anything the minority is 2; stores agrees with me. (well, at least he did last time we were arguing about this).

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What exactly is the argument here?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Well, it might not be totally clear. smile

As I saw it, what Kuan was saying (essentially) was that the 4th Ballade 'isn't that hard technically.'

Which, as I said (more gently than this), is completely absurd.

BUT, he has "deniability" on it. ha
Because, he didn't 'really' say that. He said the difficulties are more musical than technical, and "most of the sections aren't all that bad technically."

If we look at those things narrowly, arguably he's right.

But I wasn't looking at it narrowly; I was trying to look at it meaningfully. ha

Like, how is it meaningful, if we think we're saying something of any interest and importance, to really only mean that "most of the sections" of the piece aren't that hard technically, if some of them are extremely hard? Why is that worth saying if you only mean it narrowly?

(Kuan, take it!) grin

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
He things I'm under-appreciating the technical difficulty of the 4th Ballade.

Back to the OP, the 4th scherzo is (no questions here), extraordinarily difficult!

Working on:
Debussy - Images Book II

He thinks I'm under-appreciating the technical difficulty of the 4th Ballade.

Exactly.

Back to the OP, the 4th scherzo is (no questions here), extraordinarily difficult!

Exactly. smile

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
@Mark - let me try for tomorrow....waking up at 6am is difficult for somebody like me!

Working on:
Debussy - Images Book II

@Mark - let me try for tomorrow....waking up at 6am is difficult for somebody like me!

Actually I think we're pretty done! smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

As I saw it, what Kuan was saying (essentially) was that the 4th Ballade 'isn't that hard technically.'

Because, he didn't 'really' say that. He said the difficulties are more musical than technical, and "most of the sections aren't all that bad technically."

But I wasn't looking at it narrowly; I was trying to look at it meaningfully. ha

Like, how is it meaningful, if we think we're saying something of any interest and importance, to really only mean that "most of the sections" of the piece aren't that hard technically, if some of them are extremely hard? Why is that worth saying if you only mean it narrowly?

(Kuan, take it!) grin

My two cents:

I'm sick of people comparing technical and musical difficulty as if they're mutually exclusive. They're not. They're intertwined. Any chump can play the coda to the ballade and make it sound bad. It's playing it musically well that makes the technical challenges hard. Technical difficulty and musical difficulty go hand in hand.

....Any chump can play the coda to the ballade and make it sound bad.....

Well, not really. Most people (who play the piano) can't even play the notes -- including even most people who are reasonably advanced.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Ehh, I think my primary argument for saying that it's meaningful knowing that there's only one ridiculously difficult part of the piece is that you don't have to practice as many fiddly bits, and more of the piece (by more, I mean musically, not the notes) is learned thinking and taking time to understand the work.

Does it matter in performance if 10% of the piece is impossible as opposed to 80% of it? Not really, if you've already prepared it and are ready to play it.

But if you're learning it...well it might be possible to get it going more quickly if there are only a few bits that are technically difficult. The fingers don't need time to learn the rest.

Other example: that nocturne. You know that there's one bar that's a devil, and once you learn it, you can do the rest of the piece relatively easily. You can spend time thinking about the music, as opposed to thinking about the notes.

Working on:
Debussy - Images Book II

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
....Any chump can play the coda to the ballade and make it sound bad.....

Well, not really. Most people (who play the piano) can't even play the notes -- including even most people who are reasonably advanced.

You're implying that they're trying to make it sound good. If a reasonably accomplished pianist takes a stab at the coda without any intention of making it sound good, the notes won't be that hard to hit because 1) the tempo will be down 2) it will be sloppy 3) there will be no attention to musical detail.

It's the process of making those notes sound as best as possible that makes them hard to hit. Really, go try it. Go slap out scherzo 4 without any serious intent. It will sound awful, but it won't be hard.. then try to play it as best as you can. That's when it becomes hard.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
@Joel - my last post of the night, but in some ways they can be separated. Think of something abstract like managing climaxes: your fingers aren't going to help you make the coda of the ballade seem inevitable and terrible. It's how you play the other 10 pages leading up to it, in a thoughtful manner, that will make the coda that much more musically effective. Playing the the coda in a tremendously technically proficient and musical way doesn't mean much if the rest of the piece didn't bring you to that point.

Working on:
Debussy - Images Book II

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

(Kuan, take it!) grin

My two cents:

I'm sick of people comparing technical and musical difficulty as if they're mutually exclusive. They're not. They're intertwined. Any chump can play the coda to the ballade and make it sound bad. It's playing it musically well that makes the technical challenges hard. Technical difficulty and musical difficulty go hand in hand.

Technical and musical difficulties do NOT go hand in hand. You'll come to learn that with more experience. I'm safe in saying that, because any musician WITH a good bit of experience will tell you that they are not intertwined.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores

Technical and musical difficulties do NOT go hand in hand. You'll come to learn that with more experience. I'm safe in saying that, because any musician WITH a good bit of experience will tell you that they are not intertwined.

The above is a statement with no factual arguments.

You are wrong, stores. At least, in a way. When I say they are intertwined, I mean this:

A passage becomes physically harder the more you attempt to make it sound better. If the musical difficulty is to play fast and loud, that is also the technical difficulty. Not just fast and loud though. Minute control is very difficult technically. If a run calls for quick, fleeting phrasing, and the pianist cannot deliver, s/he will likely resort to using a rubato to compensate for lacking technique. (this is very common in scherzo 4) Therefore, the musical challenge of that phrase is intertwined with the technical challenge.

See?

Last edited by JoelW; 09/03/13 11:17 PM.
Ehh, I think my primary argument for saying that it's meaningful knowing that there's only one ridiculously difficult part of the piece....

You just lost your deniability. ha

The coda is absolutely NOT the only ridiculously difficult part of the piece (even speaking just technically).

And sorry, but I won't be too interested in itemizing the various others. I'll just let this stand as is. Whoever gets it does, whoever doesn't doesn't. smile

Originally Posted by stores

The above is a statement with no factual arguments.

You are wrong stores. At least, in a way. When I say they are intertwined, I mean this:

A passage becomes physically harder the more you attempt to make it sound better. Pristine phrasing is a technical challenge in itself.

You are right.
At best, it's arrogant semantics.
At worst, it's.......well, let's just say worse. grin

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

The coda is absolutely NOT the only ridiculously difficult part of the piece (even speaking just technically).

And sorry, but I won't be too interested in itemizing the various others. I'll just let this stand as is. Whoever gets it does, whoever doesn't doesn't. smile

Where does the coda actually start? When the right hand goes cooky or after the soft chords?

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
[quote=Mark_C]

Where does the coda actually start? After the soft chords?

Yes, I don't see how one could consider it to start anywhere else.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission