2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by laguna_greg
Originally Posted by The Monkeys

...By the way, did you noticed the digital invasion? If you have not seen it, just visit a music store around you, or a piano dealer that also sells Fazioli

This is only a good or desirable thing to people who don't know any better.

Not saying it is good or bad, rather a statement of fact.

W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Did you hear something obviously wrong in the CASIO promotion video? Or let me ask the question another way: Is there any truth in it?

The problem is that there's no way to know. From the room, to the mic placement, to the audio capture, to the post-audio sweetening, there are dozens of places where your audio engineer could step in and tweak things. My impression from the commercial was "boy, they're putting a lot of room resonance into that". In modern media--and my partner does this sort of thing--there is literally nothing professionally prepared that doesn't undergo post-recording shaping. In a commercial touting the sound quality of digitals versus acoustics? Literally zero chance that the sound hasn't been quadruple-checked to try to convey the appropriate narrative. (It'd be great to have an off-the-record chat with one of the jaded audio engineers. They're always jaded.)

I'm by no means a digital opponent, just more of a skeptic about this commercial. stumbler's ABF Recital performance of Villa-Lobos on his high end Roland *really* surprised me in a good way, but equally clearly many of the other ABF recordings were done on digitals. OTOH, a directly-recorded decent digital is a clearly better experience than a sour acoustic in a sub-par environment or with poor recording equipment or placement.

There's another issue around touch and responsiveness that is probably even more subjective (and likely only to afflict more accomplished players).

So on that note, of the acoustic advocates here, what do folks think of the very high-end Roland that's actually including a faux-piano action inside?

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Tim
What percentage of teachers teach on a grand? For traveling teachers, I'd guess that number approaches zero.

I teach only at my studio with a grand piano. I have only two students that I travel to their house with a lot of extra fee and both of them has grand piano at home.

First student has been with me a long time. Second student just sign up last month. When father called me on the phone, he mention that he wanted someone travel to his house. I ask if he has grand piano at home and also explain that I would only teach on grand piano because it is my standard.

Fortunately he said he has grand piano at home, so, I end up enroll my second traveling student on the top of my office students......

So, Tim, your guess is not correct at least in my eyes.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Perhaps the question ought to be phrased somewhat differently. Can a beginner rise to the ranks of artist using only a keyboard as a learning tool?

That would be a resounding "no", John. The student, no matter who they are or what they bring to the able, will be forced to limit their expression and technical abilities to whatever their "instrument" will allow. The limitations of these new hybrid keyboards are pronounced compared to an acoustic piano of any kind or condition. As such a student progresses through the literature, those limitations in technique and expression will become more and more apparent.

This is the key point I guess.

From the promotion video, sound quality aside, what was wrong with the digital? What essential techniques were not no shown and cannot be performed on the digital?

To me, it's not a question of "What's wrong" rather a question of what can musical players do on a piano that cannot be done on a keyboard? Take staccato for instance. There are several difference staccato touches, each having a defining sound. A staccato performed with a stiff finger, bouncing from the wrist, will have a more percussive sound for a number of reasons. A staccato performed with a finger swipe will have a softer, mushier sound. Just two examples. I don't know how well a keyboard can emulate or differentiate this. For one thing, a piano's soundboard picks up the crash of the key against the key bed, even with a felt washer in place, and adds a percussive sound to the tone of the string. I'm not sure how a keyboard would be able to differentiate between the two touches.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Whizbang
In modern media--and my partner does this sort of thing--there is literally nothing professionally prepared that doesn't undergo post-recording shaping.

True but the focus is not how good the digital sounds, you can adjust some subtle resonate, but you can not twist a staccato to a legato.

The question is : is it a valid learning/practising instrument? Can one develop essential piano skills on a digital to a reasonable level without jeopardizing the students future development?

We know it can be used to teach note reading, rhythm etc, but can it be used to development techniques like Staccato, Legato, Crescendo, Decrescendo, Marcato, Tenuto, Maestoso at least to some degree?

The reason I ask is, it seems, in the promotion video, a lot of techniques and expressions are somehow demonstrated.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by TimR
What percentage of piano students eventually graduate to a grand? I'd guess less than 1%.

Are the 99% who will not get to that classical artist level severely limited by using the digital?

What percentage of teachers teach on a grand? For traveling teachers, I'd guess that number approaches zero. <g> My teachers and my children's teachers taught on small acoustics, significantly worse than my digital.

If there are techniques that only work well on a grand, and we have a student that may develop a lifelong love for the piano but never own one, does it even make sense to teach them?

I learned on a grand from the beginning. I would not practice or teach on anything other than a grand, and neither would the vast majority of my colleagues.

Regards,

Polyphonist
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
I learned on a grand from the beginning. I would not practice or teach on anything other than a grand, and neither would the vast majority of my colleagues.
Then you should be very grateful for the circumstances of your life which allowed you this. Many many people cannot and will never be able to afford a grand piano, however much they want it. Talking objectively about the capabilities of digital pianos and the action of grand pianos is one thing. Being dismissive of those who do not have your advantages is another.

Du holde Kunst...
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
I would not practice ... on anything other than a grand
I certainly would, if it was my only option!

Du holde Kunst...
T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by currawong
Talking objectively about the capabilities of digital pianos and the action of grand pianos is one thing. Being dismissive of those who do not have your advantages is another.

Thank you currawong!

And once again, No one is here to compare a $800 digital to a $20,000+ grand, We know there is a 25+ times difference (at least money wise). If a grand is the only viable option, then you can cut the piano student's population by 90%, or more. Maybe this is actually what you want but that is another story.

The question is how it compares to a used upright that many parents would get for their 7 year old, as many holds the following belief:

The limitations of these new hybrid keyboards are pronounced compared to an acoustic piano of any kind or condition.

Last edited by The Monkeys; 09/03/13 07:40 PM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
And my opinion has not changed; namely, that ANY acoustic is better than a digital as long as the action works. It may not sound as good immediately, but at least you will be able to learn actual piano technique, instead of fake piano technique.

Regards,

Polyphonist
T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
And my opinion has not changed; namely, that ANY acoustic is better than a digital as long as the action works. It may not sound as good immediately, but at least you will be able to learn actual piano technique, instead of fake piano technique.

How do you know? You have not played anything other than a grand.....

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
It would be interesting to know if the pianists developed their performance skills and technique on an acoustic or a non.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Until recently there was a piano in my mother's basement. It had not been tuned for 20 years and was moved twice over a long distance. A3 stuck and you had to pry it up with two fingers. E5 sounded like EFb. The keys were sluggish and the action uneven. The sustain pedal made a noise as if a midget with a huge sledgehammer was trapped in a metal room - but after all that noise, it didn't actually "sustain".

My digital piano has properly weighted keys, none of which get stuck, and all of which are in tune. The action is even. When I use the sustain pedal, it does what it should, and is minus the midget.

You are not going to tell me that learning on the first is better than the second. Among actual piano technique, I can learn to pedal on a digital where the pedal works, but not on an acoustic where the pedal has turned into a drum.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

This is the key point I guess.

From the promotion video, sound quality aside, what was wrong with the digital? What essential techniques were not no shown and cannot be performed on the digital?

I don't need to hear or see the video to know what the limitation of that style of keyboard is.

Look, this is a technical question that requires a rather long and detailed answer. I hope you'll be satisfied with the short version I have time to write now.

1- No electronic keyboard design, even the latest hybrid versions, completely or accurately mimic the construction, response, or timing of the grand piano action.

2- The existing switching assemblies used in most keyboard actions throws off the timing of the vertical keystroke in the player. Also, the switching assemblies are not standardized. It's different on every make of keyboard.

3- Since this last is the case, it trains the player to mis-time the keystroke in every instrument they play. This single factor ruins their ability to develop a full range of touch on any instrument.

4- This kind of keystroke mis-timing is also responsible for a good deal of injury in keyboard players. I've worked with a number of injured electronic keyboard player in rehab, trying to train them out of the keystroke timing electronic keyboards trained them to have.

5- Even though the sampling has gotten better, and the keyboard "piano sound" has a number of dynamic shadings on the more expensive instruments, there is no way that such an action will allow the player to influence the tone color produced. That's why the Casio Mozart sounds rather monochromatic in the ad, compared to the grand piano. If you didn't hear that, I suggest you go back and listen a few more times because the difference is very obvious.

I'm very happy they got a couple of skilled players to come in and play some Mozart. That was a very smart marketing strategy, as it will persuade a lot of people.

However, paid endorsements are worthless. I do wish they would have consulted any performing arts medicine clinic at any teaching university hospital before they went about trying to assess their claims. Those clinics are filled with jazz and pop keyboard players who got injured because of the limitations of the electronic keyboard action.

So, that's why I don't think this is as wise or desirable option for for anyone, let alone students. Claims to the contrary are not only worthless, they are misleading.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
Until recently there was a piano in my mother's basement. It had not been tuned for 20 years and was moved twice over a long distance. A3 stuck and you had to pry it up with two fingers. E5 sounded like EFb. The keys were sluggish and the action uneven. The sustain pedal made a noise as if a midget with a huge sledgehammer was trapped in a metal room - but after all that noise, it didn't actually "sustain".

My digital piano has properly weighted keys, none of which get stuck, and all of which are in tune. The action is even. When I use the sustain pedal, it does what it should, and is minus the midget.

You are not going to tell me that learning on the first is better than the second. Among actual piano technique, I can learn to pedal on a digital where the pedal works, but not on an acoustic where the pedal has turned into a drum.

That's not a fair comparison. Why don't you compare it with a keyboard where only half the tone generators are working, one of the pedals stick, five keys are missing, one speaker out, etc. etc. How well would the piano compare if it were properly serviced?

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
John, I didn't write a comparison. I responded to a statement that ANY acoustic was better than a digital. I did practise on that thing.

Every argument is presuming a pristine, wonderful acoustic piano. I've also read that no technique at all can be learned with a digital. I'm exaggerating the other way around - but there are in fact people playing things like that.
How well would the piano compare if it were properly serviced?

How much would it cost to have it serviced? I have no idea since I don't have an acoustic piano.

Last edited by keystring; 09/03/13 11:08 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Well, he did caveat it with the statement, "as long as the action works." If keys aren't working, then the action doesn't work, as most of us consider the keys as a major part of the action.

Last edited by John v.d.Brook; 09/03/13 11:19 PM.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Well, he did caveat it with the statement, "as long as the action works." If keys aren't working, then the action doesn't work, as most of us consider the keys as a major part of the action.

Exactly. Keystring, you used an example which I did not allow for with that caveat.

Originally Posted by keystring
My digital piano has properly weighted keys, none of which get stuck, and all of which are in tune. The action is even.

Except that there is no action, since it's a digital, remember?

Regards,

Polyphonist
R
R
My original position still stands: I think there are differences between the instruments, and the skills that the pianist will develop will be geared to the capabilities and limitations of the instrument. Here is one perceived difference in skill development -- I have noticed a significant difference in my daughter's development in her control of expression, and how she tries to blend the left and right hand. When she first moved from the digital to the acoustic, her playing was very flat compared to where her skills are today. Some of it, is simply the result of a lot of playing time on the piano, but I think quite a bit of it due to the difference in the instrument she is using. However, I cannot prove this claim in any way.

Last edited by rlinkt; 09/04/13 12:10 AM.
T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

2- The existing switching assemblies used in most keyboard actions throws off the timing of the vertical keystroke in the player. Also, the switching assemblies are not standardized. It's different on every make of keyboard.

3- Since this last is the case, it trains the player to mis-time the keystroke in every instrument they play. This single factor ruins their ability to develop a full range of touch on any instrument.

4- This kind of keystroke mis-timing is also responsible for a good deal of injury in keyboard players. I've worked with a number of injured electronic keyboard player in rehab, trying to train them out of the keystroke timing electronic keyboards trained them to have.

Thanks Greg, this is very interesting and informative.

I would like to understand this. Do you mean there is a latency between the keystroke and production of the sound, that the manufactures are unable to eliminate? And different broads have different latencies. When playing between broad, they will be confused by the different latencies and possibly hurt themselves?

Were there any quantified measurements of the latency?

I noticed you said most, does that mean there are some broads don't have this latency issue?

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission