Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
145 registered (A Guy, ajames, accordeur, anotherscott, Almaviva, 33 invisible), 1638 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2143800 - 09/04/13 01:00 AM Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position?
rintincop Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Which Primer method books keep the RH in C position and LH in F position for the whole book? That's what I want for my kids first book.

Faber changes positions too frequently and that is making my job tougher because my students are not learning to read well enough.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2143805 - 09/04/13 01:36 AM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: rintincop]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Faber changes position too frequently because they figured out the benefits of moving away from middle-C position as soon as possible. Almost all the modern, post-1960 methods do that.

#2143909 - 09/04/13 08:13 AM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: rintincop]
Prins Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Thompsons Easiest piano course, level 1
PreTime Favorites (Faber) supplementary
Hal Leonard lesson book 1

http://tabitha.speeltpiano.nl
http://nederlandsecomponistes.zierikzeenet.nl

#2143955 - 09/04/13 10:33 AM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: rintincop]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Middle C position. (Shudder)

I'm puzzle by the statement "my students are not learning to read well enough" when referring to the Faber series. I don't think it's the method that's the issue.

#2143961 - 09/04/13 10:39 AM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: rintincop]
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
If you're building a studio and/or wanting to improve your teaching skills, you will want to consider joining MTNA if you haven't already. Their conferences generally have excellent displays of vendors and teaching materials, which will help you expand beyond the limited number of holdings you generally find in local music stores. MTNA's next conference is in March 2014 and is centrally located in Chicago. I'm not much of a fan of Chicago, having grown up nearby, I generally avoid the place. But John Perry, from the Thorton School of Music, and many others will be presenting. I've attended many of Mr. Perry's masterclasses and miniclasses over the years, and he is one of the "must do" presenters. Health permitting, I'll be there and hope to see many other PW teachers as well.

#2144020 - 09/04/13 12:43 PM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: rintincop]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: rintincop

Faber changes positions too frequently and that is making my job tougher because my students are not learning to read well enough.

I'm interested in knowing more about your approach to teaching reading, and how the issue of positions is involved in this. I'd understand that you need the music to stay in one position for your approach to work.

#2144081 - 09/04/13 02:57 PM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: dumdumdiddle]
red-rose Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: dumdumdiddle

I'm puzzle by the statement "my students are not learning to read well enough" when referring to the Faber series. I don't think it's the method that's the issue.

Amen.

#2144276 - 09/04/13 09:32 PM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: rintincop]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
I like a supplement series titled "The Perfect Start for Note Reading" by Kevin and Julia Olson. OP, you might like this one as it does stay in middle C position through the whole book. It's a new series, FJH publishing.

#2144382 - 09/05/13 12:50 AM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: Barb860]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Barb860
I like a supplement series titled "The Perfect Start for Note Reading" by Kevin and Julia Olson. OP, you might like this one as it does stay in middle C position through the whole book. It's a new series, FJH publishing.

I've used it for one of my slow, slow, slow students. It served its purpose, but I'm afraid my student is even slower than that. I had to find supplement books between 1B and 2A, and then between 2A and 2B.

#2144463 - 09/05/13 05:07 AM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: red-rose]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
Originally Posted By: red-rose

Amen.

I disagree.
I did not use Faber's Primer at all because I do not like it.
I keep my brand new student in my own material for 20 lessons before starting them Faber's Lesson 1. Faber's Level 1 (Red Color) and up is pretty good, however, somehow I am very disconnect with Primer Level (Purple color).
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2144531 - 09/05/13 10:01 AM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: ezpiano.org]
red-rose Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: ezpiano.org

Amen.

I disagree.
I did not use Faber's Primer at all because I do not like it.
I keep my brand new student in my own material for 20 lessons before starting them Faber's Lesson 1. Faber's Level 1 (Red Color) and up is pretty good, however, somehow I am very disconnect with Primer Level (Purple color).
more info was given in the OP which isnt all quoted here - Most modern methods use moving hands in the primer book (right?) anyone is obviously free to dislike the Faber primer, but for the reason that "the moving hands prevents them from learning" or makes it too difficult is a warning flag (imho) that the fault isn't with the method.

#2144553 - 09/05/13 10:51 AM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: rintincop]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
The OP hasn't come back to the thread yet. I'd think that whatever is being used to teaching reading relies heavily on staying in one position, and relating to that position in some way. So how is reading presently being taught, and how do positions figure into it?

#2144609 - 09/05/13 12:45 PM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: red-rose]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

more info was given in the OP which isnt all quoted here - Most modern methods use moving hands in the primer book (right?) anyone is obviously free to dislike the Faber primer, but for the reason that "the moving hands prevents them from learning" or makes it too difficult is a warning flag (imho) that the fault isn't with the method.

Most of the methods I use get the hands moving across the keyboard early on, and they prevent the kids from staying in one position for too long. Kids should not stay in any position for too long, or else they will start associating finger numbers with certain keys.

Same thing with C position. I had a few transfer students who just had to play the L.H. bass C with a 5 every single time. Even if by the logic of fingering they should arrive at a 2 on bass C, they'll instinctively jump to using a 5 because they've been in C position forever.

#2146077 - 09/07/13 11:26 PM Re: Which Primer keeps RH in C position and LH in F position? [Re: rintincop]
Beth_Frances Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
I think Bastian stays in middle C position, but you will have trouble retaining students if you take the easiest route early on. I think even Faber makes it too easy, which can lead to problems down the track.

Drilling note names (flashcards, getting them to name the notes in a piece before playing it) and intervals will make your life a breeze after a year or two.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:41 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:38 PM
Digital piano Actions MP11,RD-800,CP4
by oliver123456
12/18/14 01:26 PM
Baldwin Howard Piano
by Deegs23
12/18/14 01:24 PM
Don't you just love.....
by D7K
12/18/14 01:23 PM
Forum Stats
77340 Members
42 Forums
159957 Topics
2349108 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission