2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 10 invisible), 1,717 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
kilf Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Please could any ES7 or non ES7 owner chime in with a description of the differences in sound?

Its not that I don't hear the difference I just don't know how to describe it and as I don't play yet I cant really appreciate the difference, All I know is for some reason I prefer the studio and I am talking about through its own speakers.

I have only had a quick tinkle on it since it arrived as the stand was delayed and I didn't want anything to happen to it but I will be assembling the stand and pedal unit in the morning once my little 5 year old girl is out the way at school.....can't wait smile

Last edited by kilf; 09/03/13 12:10 PM.
I
I
Compared to the "Concert Grand", ES7's "Studio Grand" is brighter and livelier through its built-in speakers.

Besides the 4 main piano samples (concert, studio, mellow, modern), you can toy around with the voicing options found under the "Virtual Technician" menu. The different options are Normal, Bright1, Bright2, Dynamic, Mellow1 and Mellow2.

I now set the piano sample to "Concert Grand" and the voice to "Mellow1". With these settings, I no longer miss my headphones when playing my ES7 through the built-in speakers (which are pretty decent speakers to begin with).

BTW, glad that your ES7 has arrived. Hope you have a great time exploring and learning on it!

Last edited by iceporky; 09/04/13 10:56 AM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Studio Grand is way brighter and metallic than the other voices, but it's up to your taste how useful it could be.

Here are some of my thoughts:

-It can be too bright through headphones on default settings.
-Its tone is nasal, and it wont change no matter which voicing you choose.
-This may vary due to the accoustics of the room, the more space you give to it, the better it sounds.
-It has more punch than the other voices, too, and is very expressive. Good for jazz.
-In my unit, there are two notes that sound twangy (F and #F in the central octave). This is more evident through headphones and wont change. Some people can't perceive this nuances, or perhaps is something that don't happen in every unit, which would be strange as it comes from the samples (so I've been told by Kawai Europe).

Concert Grand 1 has more bass and a fatter sound to my ears, and E natural sounds twangy too, in the central octave. It gives you more volume with the same attack.
More balanced than Studio Grand.

I prefer Mellow 1 and a bright voicing, but it's all a matter of taste and the room where you place the piano.
As an example, this summer I moved to a small quiet village
and placed the piano in a larger room (four times larger than usually) with wooden rafters and vaulted ceilings and...the sound of Studio Grand was terrific.
Back in town, I need to set the Wall EQ to "on" and the Speaker Volume to "low" in order to avoid undesired resonances.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission