Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2144220 - 09/04/13 07:45 PM think i can try this?
Sweet06 Offline

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtdFPE.asp?ppn=MN0109468&

i've been going for 3 months to lessons. I tried this about a month in, got the first page pretty down but felt it was a tad outside my level. while i didn't feel i COULDN'T do it. I felt that I was spending MORE time trying to do this song than just doing things in my level progressing and coming back to that. So I did that for a month. I'd like to try again. What do you think?

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2144237 - 09/04/13 08:08 PM Re: think i can try this? [Re: Sweet06]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Without even looking at what the link shows, yes you can. There's no reason or need to think yourself incapable of learning anything. A better question might be if it could be deemed sufficiently purposeful to put forth the effort required to try and learn it in earnest with your current abilities/experience. I'd say yes. Like most other pieces as a beginner, the coordination between hands might trip you up at first, but with slow deliberate practice of small sections, it will just get easier and easier.

Also, here's a free, albeit more difficult, version of the Overworld Theme (from TLoZ): http://herbalcell.com/free-sheet-music/legend-of-zelda

Several arrangements can be found in abundance across the internet without having to pay. A few sites that come to mind:

#2144248 - 09/04/13 08:25 PM Re: think i can try this? [Re: Sweet06]
Sweet06 Offline

yes, i most definitely don't think its "unlearnable". More-so I don't want to waste my time learning something that will take me so long that it detracts from my actual progress.

Thank you for those links, they RULE!

#2144277 - 09/04/13 09:33 PM Re: think i can try this? [Re: Sweet06]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I agree with Bob, naturally. My question is always, "Do I want to spend six months on this, or wait a year until I can better handle it, and only spend a week on it?" Typically, in the meantime, I'll learn a hundred small(er) pieces, and then this one will seem like a breeze. Who knows? After a year of doing that, you may be able to tackle the more difficult version! smile

#2144347 - 09/04/13 11:46 PM Re: think i can try this? [Re: Sweet06]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Sweet06, I think we always need to have a piece we are working on just outside our playing level. Ambition is a wonderful driver and for some it makes the day to day practice which can seem like drudgery easier. I have been going now for ten months and tackled a few pieces which were above me. In some cases it worked out fine and I got a real confidence booster. In other cases I had to admit I was not ready and leave the piece until later on. However whether a piece worked or not they would teach me something new or show up a weakness I would have to work on. So if it doesn't interfere with your current works I would say go for it.

#2144353 - 09/04/13 11:52 PM Re: think i can try this? [Re: Sweet06]
Brian Lucas Offline
500 Post Club Member

It doesn't look too hard for a beginner. I'd say it's definitely playable. No #/b in the key signature to remember, pretty repetitive in the left hand. Only thing would be where your note recognition skills are. Take it to your teacher for some guidance if you have trouble.
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

#2144636 - 09/05/13 01:38 PM Re: think i can try this? [Re: Sweet06]
Sweet06 Offline

great. I'll start back on it again.

#2144740 - 09/05/13 05:38 PM Re: think i can try this? [Re: Sweet06]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
It does seem a little out of what most 3-month piano can do, you have complex rhythms in the RH, lots of accidentals, a lot of both hands playing simultaneously (and doing two completely different things). All this together, I think it is a bit of a stretch, but I don't know what you're playing now and how well you can do it. What does your teacher think?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2144837 - 09/05/13 08:23 PM Re: think i can try this? [Re: Sweet06]
Sweet06 Offline

ok, that leads me to my next question. You're a piano teacher Morodienne.

Typically, when do you think a new beginner could attempt this. Given average skill/progress.

#2144848 - 09/05/13 08:49 PM Re: think i can try this? [Re: Sweet06]

Originally Posted By: Sweet06
ok, that leads me to my next question. You're a piano teacher Morodienne.

Typically, when do you think a new beginner could attempt this. Given average skill/progress.
Hmm, normally, I judge based on skills not time studied. The skills needed for this piece that I stated before, I would expect an adult beginner to be able to attempt (but it would still be a challenge) after 6-8 months. - with LOTS of assumptions here. smile

So have you brought this piece to your teacher, who I think is probably the most capable person of answering your questions? Don't be afraid to, as a teacher, I personally really like it when students have something they want to learn. It tells me the kind of music they like, and it also gives me a game plan. I can gear the lessons towards getting them to the level of being able to play said piece. Especially since this piece is not like Rachmaninoff's 2nd concerto or something smile

#2144859 - 09/05/13 09:07 PM Re: think i can try this? [Re: Sweet06]
Sweet06 Offline

I did smile.

We worked on it a month ago, I got the first page pretty down. The 2nd page was taking copious amounts of time and i thought it was taking away from time i had for easier pieces in order to progress, so we put it off. I just finished a 12 bar blues piece that has the left hand bass progression along with some relatively simple melodies all hands together. thats what really gave me the confidence to think about returning to that piece. I felt the hands together and blues rhythms were a bit challenging, especially hands together. But my god is it fun to play the song hands together with a constant bass line!!!!

#2144861 - 09/05/13 09:15 PM Re: think i can try this? [Re: Sweet06]

I did smile.

We worked on it a month ago, I got the first page pretty down. The 2nd page was taking copious amounts of time and i thought it was taking away from time i had for easier pieces in order to progress, so we put it off. I just finished a 12 bar blues piece that has the left hand bass progression along with some relatively simple melodies all hands together. thats what really gave me the confidence to think about returning to that piece. I felt the hands together and blues rhythms were a bit challenging, especially hands together. But my god is it fun to play the song hands together with a constant bass line!!!!
Then give it a go again and see if the 2nd page is a bit easier. Sometimes it's good to take a few runs at a piece to see how much time it would take to master it. smile

#2145014 - 09/06/13 01:22 AM Re: think i can try this? [Re: Morodiene]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
I did smile.

Then give it a go again and see if the 2nd page is a bit easier. Sometimes it's good to take a few runs at a piece to see how much time it would take to master it. smile

I often take multiple runs at pieces -- it gives you downtime, so the material doesn't get stale, and it allows your brain to do that critical "subconscious thinking" thing between runs.

#2146614 - 09/08/13 08:43 PM Re: think i can try this? [Re: Sweet06]
Sweet06 Offline

so i re-learned the first page and it came back QUICK. I was discouraged at first as I thought I'd have to start all over but the next day I was doing good again! the 2nd page i know have some practicing techniques I had since learned (ie how to tackle the harder things) and its going well! hopefully in a month I'll have this perfected smile

#2146724 - 09/09/13 02:34 AM Re: think i can try this? [Re: Sweet06]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
great news

#2146727 - 09/09/13 02:38 AM Re: think i can try this? [Re: Sweet06]
Bamburg Offline

That's awesome! You've inspired me to take another shot at the piece I had to give up on a couple of months ago.

#2146737 - 09/09/13 03:31 AM Re: think i can try this? [Re: Sweet06]
Brian Lucas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Definitely great news! I always like to go back what I or students were working on before. Fun to see the progress. I always tell students that the material doesn't change, but your perception of what is hard and what is easy does. Your example is also a lesson in the benefit of putting something hard away for a while and coming back to it later.
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

#2146887 - 09/09/13 11:36 AM Re: think i can try this? [Re: Sweet06]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Thought I'd look up Koji Kondo before going further ...
he's a middle-aged Japanese "Games" music composer ...
and his Legend of Zelda (played by a full orchestra) has
drawn much praise.

But then I have just played and recorded the first page for
keyboard and find it "a pretty little tune" ... After the first 4 measures, the lilting treble floats upwards, while the bass grumbles below in repetitive 2-note chords.

My advice would be to go for it ... as a beginner, you won't find it easy to play both hands at the same time,
but with practice the two hands will happily begin to chime.

Kind regards, btb

#2146908 - 09/09/13 12:12 PM Re: think i can try this? [Re: Sweet06]
Sweet06 Offline

can you play and record the entire thing and upload it ?

#2147335 - 09/10/13 01:29 AM Re: think i can try this? [Re: Sweet06]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Hi Sweet06,

I'm not clever enough to download my recording (being just a dumb romantic architect) ... and concentrating for the moment on bigger stuff like Beethoven's Appassionata (will I ever get it right?) ... but if someone can (in very basic Internet language) tell me how to record, I might be able to be of assistance.

However, in the meanwhile, start working through "The Legend" one measure at a time.

Kind regards, btb

#2147336 - 09/10/13 01:33 AM Re: think i can try this? [Re: Sweet06]
Sweet06 Offline

well do you have some way to digitally record your playing? if so what are you using to do that? a computer? a phone? a microphone? MIDI?

#2147355 - 09/10/13 02:54 AM Re: think i can try this? [Re: Sweet06]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I've got a Sony gadget (twin Duracell battery operated)
measuring some 4 x 1" on surface and 1/2" wide ... just plonk it on the piano music shelf and play away.

After listening again to my ratty recording, I'd have to work up my recvording before sending it on.

kind regards, btb

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
98 registered (ando, Akshay, 36251, Almaviva, 31 invisible), 1264 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153572 Topics
2250709 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Worth upgrading from Studiologic SL990 for a beginner?
by moonchild77
19 minutes 37 seconds ago
Improving upright repetition
by pinkfloydhomer
39 minutes 48 seconds ago
On Temperament strip muting, and other things
by Mark Davis
Today at 05:08 AM
NAAFI pianos
by PhilipInChina
Today at 04:41 AM
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
Today at 01:00 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission