Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2144388 - 09/05/13 12:55 AM Yamaha AvantGrand NU1 in the NY Times
kippesc Offline

Loc: United States
Breaking news. New York Times columnist David Pogue just discovered the Yamaha NU1.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/05/techno...could-love.html

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#2144398 - 09/05/13 01:12 AM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1 in the NY Times [Re: kippesc]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

It is a very good digital although I think I will stick with my CLP-990M / CLP-480R combo in which both of them already have great actions and sound. And, the NU1 doesn't have the overall harmonic resonance and sustain/decay as compared with the V-Piano. That is why I now own all of the above.

#2144406 - 09/05/13 01:24 AM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1 in the NY Times [Re: kippesc]
kippesc Offline

Yes. I like my Roland more than my Yamaha -- more nuanced/expressive. This is after a 3-day weekend revisiting Pianoteq and Ivory 2, in addition to the AG N2. I've lately eschewed my audiophile Sennheiser HD-600s in favor of a set of Bose QC 15s. I'm turning Into a real philistine with my downmarket tastes. But the SN studio grand thru QC 15s is the second best piano in my house, after the real deal NY Steinway B.

#2144413 - 09/05/13 01:37 AM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1 in the NY Times [Re: kippesc]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
Kippesc, I have read your post, here:

subject: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1 in the NY Times

Breaking news. New York Times columnist David Pogue just discovered the Yamaha NU1.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/05/techno...could-love.html

as I understand your post, Kippesc, the New York Times published an artcile on the AvantGrand digital piano.

I am a beginner piano player and when I read posts, in this forum that mentioned the AvantGrand, I went to my large piano store and asked the sales person if I could play their AvantGrand. The sales person said that one over there. So I dug out my music and play the AvantGrand. It was very nice, but I think all digital pianos are nice. If I didn't have an acoustic, I wouldn't spend $12,000 and taxes on a digital piano but save that to put towards an acoustic. But I have a digital and a second hand 3 legged acoustic piano, so I am humbly grateful to play both and enjoy them both.

3S05VTG

Edited by Michael_99 (09/05/13 01:39 AM)

#2144420 - 09/05/13 01:55 AM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1 in the NY Times [Re: kippesc]
kippesc Offline

Not all digital pianos are nice. Some are good. Some really suck.

#2144424 - 09/05/13 02:08 AM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1 in the NY Times [Re: Michael_99]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Good press coverage for a very nice instrument.

On a completely separate topic:

Originally Posted By: Michael_99
3S05VTG

Michael, is this a secret code?

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2144516 - 09/05/13 09:19 AM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1 in the NY Times [Re: Kawai James]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Good press coverage for a very nice instrument.

On a completely separate topic:

Originally Posted By: Michael_99
3S05VTG

Michael, is this a secret code?

James
x

Ham radio call sign?

#2144518 - 09/05/13 09:22 AM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1 in the NY Times [Re: kippesc]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: kippesc
I've lately eschewed my audiophile Sennheiser HD-600s in favor of a set of Bose QC 15s.

Blasphemy!

Is this because of the noise cancellation or do you like the sound reproduction in the Bose better?

#2144626 - 09/05/13 01:29 PM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1 in the NY Times [Re: gvfarns]
kippesc Offline

Originally Posted By: gvfarns
I've lately eschewed my audiophile Sennheiser HD-600s in favor of a set of Bose QC 15s.

Blasphemy!

Is this because of the noise cancellation or do you like the sound reproduction in the Bose better?

I believe that it's (i) lower impedance, (ii) noise cancellation, and maybe (iii) EQ. For some reason, I can hear subtle effects like "loom of strings" and hammer noise with the Bose that I NEVER noticed with the Sennheiser. This isn't just a volume thing, though. I'm playing the instrument at the same loudness level. The Bose require far less power to drive. I've not tried a headphone amp on the Roland with the Sennheisers. I had thought the amp unnecessary (Roland volume slider had what looked like plenty of headroom), but maybe I've been wrong.

#2144682 - 09/05/13 03:31 PM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1 in the NY Times [Re: kippesc]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I used the QC15's predecessor, the QC2 (which has the same impedance and almost identical tonal characteristics), when I went around several stores to audition DPs three years ago. The noise cancellation feature was useful in noisy stores, and the sound quality was good enough to determine the inherent sound of each DP - and of course, I was familiar with the headphones' coloration from having used it for many years during air travel etc.

However, it cannot be denied that when I used the AKG K271 MkII (which the store threw in free when I bought my DP) with my new V-Piano at home, it was obvious that its sound is rather less colored and more neutral (and has better extreme bass and treble) than the Bose's. And when I upgraded to the Grado SR325is a year later, the gain in realism with the latter is even more striking.

The important factor is that all the three headphones have very similar impedance, so comparing their sound using a DP (or indeed a hi-fi set-up) is straightforward. I think it's very likely that if one is using headphones with high impedance that requires the volume control to be pushed high up, the sound you get won't be optimal. Maybe a bit like listening to high-fi speakers at low volume, when the sound often seems dull - which is the reason for the 'loudness' button on amplifiers, which boosts both low bass and high treble, for listening at low volumes.

#2144790 - 09/05/13 07:09 PM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1 in the NY Times [Re: kippesc]
kippesc Offline

Originally Posted By: gvfarns

Blasphemy!

I believe that it's (i) lower impedance, (ii) noise cancellation, and maybe (iii) EQ. For some reason, I can hear subtle effects like "loom of strings" and hammer noise with the Bose that I NEVER noticed with the Sennheiser. This isn't just a volume thing, though. I'm playing the instrument at the same loudness level. The Bose require far less power to drive. I've not tried a headphone amp on the Roland with the Sennheisers. I had thought the amp unnecessary (Roland volume slider had what looked like plenty of headroom), but maybe I've been wrong.

I went back and forth today, Sennheisers vs Bose QC15s -- it's the noise cancellation that makes these a better choice for me. I'm not in a noisy environment. The air conditioner is modern and centralized, two years old, with new ductwork and low static pressure and new vents. But it's noisy enough on a 100 degree summer day to mask Roland's "string loom" unless I'm using the noise cancellation phones.

Bottom line, if I get the noise out of the system, the piano feels more expressive.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
74 registered (AZNpiano, arX, anotherscott, Atrys, antony, 11 invisible), 1183 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153691 Topics
2253031 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Spelling chords and using correct accidentals
by JoelW
04/24/14 03:11 AM
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 11:26 PM
Is it my technique that's causing this?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 10:49 PM
Best brand of upright piano 48" or larger?
by WG40
04/23/14 10:22 PM
Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
by jp2011
04/23/14 10:00 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission