2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 235 of 370 1 2 233 234 235 236 237 369 370
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Good morning, all! One from me before I head off to work today.
Too bad, 'cause it's sunny, warm and wonderful out there.
Maybe I do feel a cough coming on, after all.....(clears throat).

(axel rose sounds so much more "rockish" than William bruce rose, ha!
looked hot back then, too!)

Last edited by piano joy; 04/17/12 08:59 AM.

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by vegasE
Originally Posted by griffin2417
Hi everyone! It was 2 weeks ago when I performed my piano solo at an Open Mic. I promised I would share a video of that performance with the folks here on RST.

Unfortunately, the phone video recording taken that evening was a disaster. The good news is that I had the piece videotaped on the same stage with the same piano. It was recorded with much higher quality recording equipment, and I've decided to present that instead.

I performed Rhapsody a few weeks ago at an Open Mic onstage. With the exception of me, the other artists were students who were performing Rap, and Spoken Word. Needless to say, I was not sure how well my 20th Century classical piano would go. It went well, and I got a standing ovation!

Feel free to share any constructive feedback on a thread I am creating elsewhere on ABF. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy it!

I also want to thank you for sharing this. I love hearing new piano music like this. Beautifully played - listening to it a number of times now. It's one of the those pieces that can make a piano really sing.

I haven't ventured into this thread yet. Looks like I have been missing out on some great music. Wow...156 pages....how am i going to get any work done?

Thanks for your kind words about my piano performance. Also, welcome to this thread. Just listen, and enjoy when you have some time. Also feel free to share some of the music you enjoy, are learning about, or whatever. It's a relaxed group of folks here. Rossy should jump in at some point when he's available to give a bit more of the background.

Right now, I'm off to work. Welcome again! Enjoy your day!

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Hya dudes and dudettes, well right on cue, here comes Rossy to explain to the most welcome newcomers a little about the thread:

Allthough the thread is entitled RST ( Rostoskys serious thread) it is, in effect,about as far removed from "serious" as its possible to get away with, except for when we are discussing a serious issue, in which case it is usually announced in a post that seriousness is required, so usually at all other times, seriousness is actively discouraged.

Early on in the thread ( around page three or something like that that no one can exactly remember, or even wants to much (what with being busy with "other stuf") the thread "Morphed" into what it is today, which is...:::

A place where folk can feel free and relaxed to hang out and share as much diversity of music, musicall styles, and different genres of music that they wish to, possibly with the hope that another member may enjoy hearing something new to themselves, and indeed maybe learn from.

We do not argue, we do not b i t c h , we do not ctiticise each other, and we are a very very friendly group, and take care of each other. We are interested in each others trials and tribulations in the big field of musical learning, but more importantly,also in our daily lives.

We feel and support each other through hopefully occassional illness or lifes dissapointments, and miss each other when work or domestic demands make posting scarce..

We are also not sure where Wayne33yrs is, so please dont ask, unless you are a private detective that is helping to find him and possibly the lady ga ga lookalike that may have abducted him.

BeccaBb has got a sore bottom, with some bits missing so no teasing her till around 8.30 pm on the 22nd April ..
I believe her sphincter lost some of its elasticity and she has had it re-tightened with rubber band implants from walmart, because of the dire poverty that everyone in canada lives in.

One thing of utmost importance is to not try and correct any ones grammer or punctuation, as some of us are still on big blue book three in the english department.

And thats about it, except, dont mention german ebayers to eglantine as it brings back stressfull non successfull harpsichord purchasing issues.

you may post pictures of your favourite halibut.

Usually allthough we like the idea of a "healthy diet" it is best kept as an idea , and not put into daily life practice, personally I like chips cooked in lard and eat pies and believe bacon to be life affirming.

Last edited by Rostosky; 04/17/12 10:20 AM.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I agree, bacon is life affirming!!!!!!!! LMAO and I will find that picutre of my innards and scare all of you!

But for now....

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z

Thank you, Eglantine, for the Gram Parsons. It' a huge improvement on our Keith and I do appreciate the effort but I must confess I still prefer Mick's version.

BeccaBb, how do you do! If I understand correctly from Rossy your post contains something of a paradox ('LMAO') or at least a sense of danger. Perhaps Rossy has it, er, a*** about face!

I understand D**** D**** are not posted here without some form of retribution. I'll have to go back and check.

Bacon is good if the animal is pasture reared and hasn't been pumped full of water, nitrates and nitrites. Lard is healthy, of course, as it's saturated fat and won't turn rancid under high heat. It was all very healthy when I was a boy until the government decided in the early eighties that two and a half million years of evolution was wrong and low fat diets became all the rage (along with a huge increase in obesity and degenerative diseases).
<gets off hobby horse>

In the lull between the two giants of the high baroque, Bach and Handel, and the two giants of high classicism, Haydn and Mozart, the Mannheim school gave a new voice to wind instruments (this is not another reference to BeccaBb) and new orchestral dynamics. The Mannheim rocket is a sudden orchestral crescendo. Here, one of the leading lights, Carl Stamitz, shows the sort of thing that was to impress Mozart on his early visit.

Richard
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Hya there dudes and dudettes, Rostosky is pleased to welcome to piano world and in particular RST a good friend of mine who is currently studying for her grade eight..

I just know you guys will make her very welcome and at home, I have given her an RST badge allready for helping me in a practical way with piano study!! ( yes in "real" life!)

Her username is "Dipsy" and before you ask, yes she is quite dipsy and should fit in here just perfectly because of it!

What say you all?

Richard, as you are a regular and avid poster here now, would you like a RST badge too?

Last edited by Rostosky; 04/17/12 03:57 PM.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Richard, I knew nothing of the Mannheim school, thanks for your interesting post.

Rossy, I’m looking forward to make a warm welcome to Dipsy. I hope he/she shows up soon.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Welcome to Dipsy!

Sandy

V
V
Piano Joy, that brings back some great memories - when it was released back at school, but more recently, when my daughter was born.

Driving back to the hospital the day after. Sun was shining, feeling great, car radio was blasting GnR, and those lyrics....

She's got a smile it seems to me reminds me of childhood memories where everything was as fresh as the bright blue sky

Yeah...5 years on, it still gives me goosebummps thinking about it.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
So where is our dipsical friend? Has she had a change of heart? Has she had an accident pinning on her badge?

Rossy, it would be an honour to wear the RST badge!

Recaredo, glad to have enlightened you. History has glossed over so much of interest. I just did it myself when I introduced the Mannheim school by announcing them as a lull between the giants.

There was no lull at the time of course. There was the development away from Bach's polyphony towards a more homophonic style, (Bach was already well past his sell-by date in his own lifetime - is it not strange?), the Galant style was gaining ground with Stamitz, the empfindsamkeit with CPE Bach and the Sturm und Drang movement was underway with Haydn himself, probably the first true Romantic. There were other styles afoot, too, but they all became wrapped up in this wizard thing called the sonata principle that dominated pretty much everything but the concerto. But that's for another day!

We just seem to have a penchant for what we think is best and it seriously devalues everything else.

So, here's something more contemporary but not the best of the girl groups doing not the best of a song that isn't their best.

The Roches are accompanied by a certain Robert Fripp doing what he does best on his Les Paul Custom. And if the Les Paul Custom isn't the best guitar, I don't know what is. I've been playing one since 1975.

Richard
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nice to meet you Richard! smile Yes much danger involved! I'm like a walking woopy cushion! wink hehe

Yes where is this Dipsy person! We must meet and greet and give proper welcomes! (along with gasmasks for bad odours... )

And welcome to all the other new joiners which I have missed in my bottomless abscense....

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member
Raining and windy here. I'm down with an early stage bug today, and my plumber's about to show up... groan....

CaptainKawai's ""I call my woman hinges cause she's something to adore" is a pretty nifty title that I'd never come across before.

Some of my favourites titles over time have been:

"Music For A Tong Funeral" (album, Carla Bley). I mean, who the heck are the Tong... Do they even exist?

"Space Invaders Are Smoking Grass" (electro-pop). An interesting juxtaposition. A lot of the original electro music - early 80s Bronx - was very much inspired by ideas around 'space' and the future. I'm sure if the invaders landed in the Bronx, they probably would hang out around one of the early electro sound systems and smoke some grass.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
Hello everyone - its great to feel part of such a nice bunch of people!

Rossy suggested I post some music I like - so I've chosen the Shostakovich because I go all gooey when its playing. I've had a stab at playing it and hope to be able to do it justice some day.

R
R
You're most heartily welcome Dipsy!

I've just come across this beautiful piece by Pink Floyd and its wonderful execution by a talented pianist:

[video:youtube]FI0fyOaD94Y[/video]

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Rupak, Thanks for posting that, I do have a comment ( or three) and hope you understand what I mean.

First off I have been a lifelong fan of floyd, from long before they were even popular, in fact when I first got into Pink floyd everyone called me weird, as in those days floyd had only a cult following.
So, I am very very familiar with their music and all its nuances.

I would also like to say I am a big fan of VK, I think she is wonderfull and puts her heart and soul into everything, I have a lot of respect and admiration for her.

On the whole she does a good job with this particular floyd piece which is never going to translate too well into a solo piano piece.

The only bone of contention I have, is her intepretation of the vocal line within the song, she is adding extra feeling of a type that does not fit to well with what this great song normally expresses in the vocal line.

All the rest is excellent..its just that vocal line isnt sitting to well with me, probably personal preference for what the original expressed?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good morning everyone!

Awesome tunes to wake up to! Welcome Dipsy and great song! I see why it makes you gooey!

Rupak, I would have never imgained Floyd as a solo on piano! That was very neat. (Huge Floyd fan also) I do agree with Rossy though that it feels off. I would have never know why that was though! laugh

I'll leave you all with a little U2..

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Welcome to all the new folks: Dipsy & vegas E and ragtime... !

Note to vegasE: I'm with you, "it's all good"!

note to Becca: I hope the winds aren't from the north today .....(ha)

Good day, all!

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

R
R
Thanks Rossy. Yes, VK really has extraordinary talent! I just came to know about her while searching for moonlight sonata. I'm absolutely amazed by her capability of playing different genres of music equally well!
It's a shame for me to confess that I've hardly listened to Floyd's works though I'm well acquainted with its popularity. Rossy, can you please suggest me some best works by Floyd?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
LOL nope its blowing from the East.. smile

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Good day, folks, and welcome, Dipsy. What a lovely introduction to the day the Shostakovich made!

How elegant Vika looks in her delicate and filigree footwear!

Rupak, the guitar solo on Time is to die for!

I just saw Laurie commenting on Peter Gabriel's 'So' in the Classic Albums series so I thought I'd post something from her to rekindle the memory.

Richard
Page 235 of 370 1 2 233 234 235 236 237 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission