Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2150942 - 09/15/13 11:54 PM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: jmcintyre]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Originally Posted By: jmcintyre
Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
And you're right, but since each sonata is so individual, it's fun discussing which one we picked/why we picked it.

So what'd you pick, OSK?

Op. 22. One, because I played it. But also, I love it the most out of all the early sonatas. smile

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2151449 - 09/16/13 05:08 PM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: beet31425]
ChrisKeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: beet31425
Originally Posted By: ChrisKeys
I chose Op 27 No 1 because it's such a contrast to Op 7. And I really like it! grin

For what it's worth Chris,

You're supposed to pick one of the early sonatas, what he calls "the first 13 sonatas". It's a bit confusing the way he's referring to the numbering, but he means sonatas 1-11, 19, or 20. (19 and 20 were written in the same time period as the first 11.)

op.27/1 (sonata #13) is one of the "experimental" sonatas he's going to be talking about in the third week.

-J

You know, I was carefully counting to make sure that Op.27 No 1 was among the first 13. But I had completely forgotten about his inclusion of the Op 49 sonatas among the first 13. (Sigh) Now I'll need to go back and pick another! Ironically I had originally chosen the Pastorale sonata #15, Op 28. Time to pick it up again. Thanks for catching this for me.

#2151458 - 09/16/13 05:22 PM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: ChrisKeys]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
I chose Op 27 No 1 because it's such a contrast to Op 7. And I really like it! grin

For what it's worth Chris,

You're supposed to pick one of the early sonatas, what he calls "the first 13 sonatas". It's a bit confusing the way he's referring to the numbering, but he means sonatas 1-11, 19, or 20. (19 and 20 were written in the same time period as the first 11.)

op.27/1 (sonata #13) is one of the "experimental" sonatas he's going to be talking about in the third week.

-J

You know, I was carefully counting to make sure that Op.27 No 1 was among the first 13. But I had completely forgotten about his inclusion of the Op 49 sonatas among the first 13. (Sigh) Now I'll need to go back and pick another! Ironically I had originally chosen the Pastorale sonata #15, Op 28. Time to pick it up again. Thanks for catching this for me.

No problem, though when you say "time to pick it up again", I hope you don't mean you're going to choose op.28, because that's not one of the early ones either!

The larger point is this: Sonata op.22 (usually called #11, but maybe here Biss is calling it "the 13th sonata", I don't know) is usually looked on as Beethoven's last "early" sonata. One that looks back and embraces all the traditional forms. The next ones-- including op.27 and 28-- become more experimental in different ways, and perhaps begin Beethoven's "middle" period.

Good luck--

-J

#2151469 - 09/16/13 05:33 PM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: Kreisler]
ChrisKeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

No, picking a different one: Op 10 No 3 in D major, (#7).

#2151716 - 09/16/13 11:47 PM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: Kreisler]
bellamusica Offline

I picked Op. 2 No. 2 in A Major because I've lately been falling in love with it and wanted to be more familiar with it! I've played Op. 7 but never Op. 2 No. 2 although one of these days I'd like to...

#2151731 - 09/17/13 12:09 AM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: bellamusica]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bellamusica
I picked Op. 2 No. 2 in A Major because I've lately been falling in love with it and wanted to be more familiar with it! I've played Op. 7 but never Op. 2 No. 2 although one of these days I'd like to...

I've been working on it all summer, and now it's coming together. The first movement is tough because it moves so rapidly. The Largo is astonishing, and it's unlike anything else Beethoven wrote, especially in its coda (which lasts for 1/3 of the piece!). And the last movement-- beautiful, graceful, a little rambling-- is a lot of fun to lose yourself in.

-Jason

#2151735 - 09/17/13 12:17 AM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: beet31425]
bellamusica Offline

I've been working on it all summer, and now it's coming together. The first movement is tough because it moves so rapidly. The Largo is astonishing, and it's unlike anything else Beethoven wrote, especially in its coda (which lasts for 1/3 of the piece!). And the last movement-- beautiful, graceful, a little rambling-- is a lot of fun to lose yourself in.

-Jason

That's great (I'm jealous)! You should add Op. 7 to your Beethoven journey... it's very rewarding to play. The last movement is a bit similar in some ways to that of 2/2 - grazioso, charming, and utterly delightful! smile

#2151767 - 09/17/13 01:19 AM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: bellamusica]
3000 Post Club Member

-Jason

That's great (I'm jealous)! You should add Op. 7 to your Beethoven journey... it's very rewarding to play. The last movement is a bit similar in some ways to that of 2/2 - grazioso, charming, and utterly delightful! smile

Yes, op.7 is awesome. I was thinking of including it, and I talked about it with my teacher... but I finally decided that the last movement was, indeed, a little too much like 2/2's, and I wanted more overall opus number variety (instead of doing large-scale sonatas from "opera" 2 and 4)

-J

#2152112 - 09/17/13 12:03 PM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: beet31425]
bellamusica Offline

-Jason

Yes, op.7 is awesome. I was thinking of including it, and I talked about it with my teacher... but I finally decided that the last movement was, indeed, a little too much like 2/2's, and I wanted more overall opus number variety (instead of doing large-scale sonatas from "opera" 2 and 4)

-J

Ah, well that's a good plan. Impossible to go wrong choosing any of the Beethoven sonatas!

#2152549 - 09/17/13 10:00 PM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: Kreisler]
AldenH Offline

Loc: Texas
Jason - you've some really wonderful sonatas. I wish I had the energy to learn lots of Beethoven: for me, at least, it's absolutely excruciating to wrap my hands around his music, and polishing it? nightmarish! I suppose it's like Bach or Schoenberg: the deeper you explore, the more beauties you see - and the more clearly you perceive your flaws.

#2152624 - 09/17/13 11:34 PM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: AldenH]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK, Brighton
Originally Posted By: AldenH
Jason - you've some really wonderful sonatas. I wish I had the energy to learn lots of Beethoven: for me, at least, it's absolutely excruciating to wrap my hands around his music, and polishing it? nightmarish! I suppose it's like Bach or Schoenberg: the deeper you explore, the more beauties you see - and the more clearly you perceive your flaws.

The only flaw is letting fear stop you; time constraints, fine, no instrument, I'll accept, but fear of not doing it justice? Pfft laugh I mean, um, play what your heart tells you to play and always remember: the most saccharine views are afforded by the treacherous and wearisome journeys of the soul; to be graced with facility is not to adorn oneself with beauty, it does not grant you the map or carry you the right way, only your heart can perform such tasks and, if we let it, it will do so willingly and gently, without fanfare or aplomb, trailing humour and accomplishment within its wake....or something....*cough*...
Xxx

#2153717 - 09/19/13 11:52 AM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: FSO]
bellamusica Offline

Originally Posted By: FSO
Originally Posted By: AldenH

The only flaw is letting fear stop you; time constraints, fine, no instrument, I'll accept, but fear of not doing it justice? Pfft laugh I mean, um, play what your heart tells you to play and always remember: the most saccharine views are afforded by the treacherous and wearisome journeys of the soul; to be graced with facility is not to adorn oneself with beauty, it does not grant you the map or carry you the right way, only your heart can perform such tasks and, if we let it, it will do so willingly and gently, without fanfare or aplomb, trailing humour and accomplishment within its wake....or something....*cough*...
Xxx

For what it's worth, my piano teacher always told me to learn as much repertoire as I could while I was young, even if I felt I couldn't get it perfect yet. He said it gets harder and harder to memorize new repertoire as you get older, but once you've learned a piece you can spend the rest of your life polishing it!

#2154134 - 09/20/13 12:26 AM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: Kreisler]
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Article on BBC Culture:

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20130917-music-education-for-the-masses

And yours truly may possibly have been quoted within it. grin
Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2154931 - 09/21/13 09:17 AM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: Kreisler]
ChrisKeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That's an encouraging article. I'm glad to hear about the quantity and quality and variety of the students. (I'm one of those who have noodled through all the Beethoven sonatas and actually performed several of them.) This is a great course!

#2156349 - 09/23/13 06:13 PM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: Kreisler]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Does Coursera have some sort of archive for past courses online?

Music is my best friend.

#2156357 - 09/23/13 06:28 PM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: ChopinAddict]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
Does Coursera have some sort of archive for past courses online?

I don't think so. Not only that, you can't even register for a course (and view its videos) once it's been ongoing for a certain period of time.

I think they're trying to promote the idea of active course-taking, as opposed to being a repository of material, like Kahn Academy and YouTube.

-J

#2156360 - 09/23/13 06:34 PM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: beet31425]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I can see their point, although it would be nice. smile

Music is my best friend.

#2156422 - 09/23/13 08:28 PM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: ChopinAddict]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...

ChopinAddict, it is not difficult to download the subtitles from these videos. If you'd like, I can give you complete transcripts, although the musical examples won't be there... Of course, you can have Beethoven sonatas loaded up ready to stream and play the excerpts at their respective points of the lectures that way!

#2156428 - 09/23/13 08:46 PM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: Orange Soda King]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King

ChopinAddict, it is not difficult to download the subtitles from these videos. If you'd like, I can give you complete transcripts, although the musical examples won't be there... Of course, you can have Beethoven sonatas loaded up ready to stream and play the excerpts at their respective points of the lectures that way!

Thanks, OSK. That would be great whenever you have the time. thumb smile

PS: I have the complete sonatas played by Barenboim. laugh

Music is my best friend.

#2160381 - 10/01/13 09:08 AM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: Kreisler]
3000 Post Club Member

I'm catching up on my Biss lectures...

In week 3 ("New Paths"), he says that, like op.26, op.27/1 has the property that none of its movements is in sonata form. In fact, the point is even restated as the review question at the end of the lecture.

In what way is the last movement not in sonata form?

-J

#2160521 - 10/01/13 03:27 PM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: Kreisler]
MarkH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA

In week 3 ("New Paths"), he says that, like op.26, op.27/1 has the property that none of its movements is in sonata form. In fact, the point is even restated as the review question at the end of the lecture.

-J

Could an argument be made for sonata-rondo form that would satisfy both your and his perceptions?

Edited by MarkH (10/01/13 03:28 PM)

#2160530 - 10/01/13 04:05 PM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: MarkH]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MarkH

-J

Could an argument be made for sonata-rondo form that would satisfy both your and his perceptions?

I have no problem calling this a sonata-rondo; I'd have had no problem if he'd said this has rondo form. My problem was that he specifically said it was not in sonata form!

(But then, he went on to talk about how the first movement of op.27/2 was in sonata form, and gave several reasons why its sonata form is a bit hidden. This was satisfying to me, since I'd had arguments on the form of that movement on this forum before!)

-J

#2160595 - 10/01/13 08:24 PM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: beet31425]
AnneJ Offline

Loc: Toronto, ON
(But then, he went on to talk about how the first movement of op.27/2 was in sonata form, and gave several reasons why its sonata form is a bit hidden. This was satisfying to me, since I'd had arguments on the form of that movement on this forum before!)

-J

I missed this part. Do you happen to remember which section it was in?

#2160616 - 10/01/13 09:31 PM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: beet31425]
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: MarkH

-J

I have no problem calling this a sonata-rondo; I'd have had no problem if he'd said this has rondo form. My problem was that he specifically said it was not in sonata form!

-J

What is the uncertainty here? The form is fairly straightforward sonata-rondo, with a coda. So it can't be sonata (i.e. sonata-allegro) form.

edit: the theme returns after the 1st episode in the tonic. That's the main distinguishing factor.

Edited by Ferdinand (10/01/13 09:33 PM)

#2160673 - 10/02/13 12:08 AM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: AnneJ]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AnneJ

-J

I missed this part. Do you happen to remember which section it was in?

It was in whichever lecture he devoted to 27/2; I think the second-to-last video from the third week.

-J

#2160679 - 10/02/13 12:30 AM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: Kreisler]
Serge Marinkovic Offline

Loc: United States
I thoroughly enjoyed his course. I wish he would add on Opus 106 and 111.

#2164465 - 10/10/13 02:12 PM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: Ferdinand]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ferdinand

-J

What is the uncertainty here? The form is fairly straightforward sonata-rondo, with a coda. So it can't be sonata (i.e. sonata-allegro) form.

edit: the theme returns after the 1st episode in the tonic. That's the main distinguishing factor.

"What's the uncertainty?" So few things in music are completely certain... surely the exact difference between "sonata-rondo" vs. "sonata" is not one of them.

At any rate, if you claim the last movement of 27/1 isn't sonata form because the return of the theme (in what would be the "development") is in the tonic, you're going to run into trouble. The same thing happens in the first movements of op.31/1 and 31/3! Granted, in those cases, less of the theme is heard before the "development" starts happening, compared to the last movement of op.27/1. But now we're in ambiguous waters.

I say: the last movement of op.27/1 is in sonata-rondo form, and also in sonata form. (Which anyway is necessary for the statement people sometimes make, that op.26 is the only Beethoven sonata with no movement in sonata form.)

-Jason

#2164678 - 10/11/13 12:44 AM Re: Jonathan Biss Beethoven Course [Re: Kreisler]
3000 Post Club Member

Weird... I'm catching up on week 4 now, and once again, not only did Biss say something I immediately realized was wrong, but he repeated that wrong statement as the end-of-the-lecture review quiz!

The statement was that op.78 is the only sonata of the 32 whose first movement repeats the development-recap.

Enjoying the lectures, though. smile

-J

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Uneven piano keys
by shah
10/23/14 08:57 AM
Forster vs August Forster
by eazydyonizy
10/23/14 03:43 AM
Grigory Sokolov releases album
by wimpiano
10/23/14 03:11 AM
Lindblad Steinway rebuilt pianos
by brahms
10/23/14 02:54 AM
Got the VPC1! Hooked up the Ivory! Played Brahms.
by TwoSnowflakes
10/23/14 02:13 AM
Who's Online
132 registered (ajames, anotherscott, accordeur, Alexander Borro, 30 invisible), 1615 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76623 Members
42 Forums
158439 Topics
2326794 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission