2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2102644 06/14/13 09:07 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Hi Everybody,

2 or 3 weeks ago, I played rehearsals for the Brahms Requiem. The rehearsals happened to be in a space with poor lighting.

One of the singers brought a light for me to use in the 2nd rehearsal. It worked so well that I now have one of my own.

It's a double mini-book light made by Mighty Bright, called Duet2. The beauty of it is that it lights both the left and right-hand pages completely, no glare, no shadows. The lights are adjustable in terms of brightness and position. And they don't shine in the audience's eyes.

I paid $20.33.

The other wonderful thing about this light is that it's so easy to carry around! I no longer have a need for the older music stand lights used in pit orchestras.

You can see it here: Mighty Bright Duet2 at Amazon.com

Gretchen

Gretchen Saathoff
Director of Music
Christ United Methodist Church, Northampton, MA
http://gretchenspianos.wordpress.com ~ website, blog.
http://wp.me/PE5t8-24O ~ E-book: "Goal-oriented Practice: How to Avoid Traps and Become a Confident Performer"
about making steady progress!
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I've used one of these for a few years, and it is really nice. The batteries last a long time, too...although fresh batteries will give you the brightest light. Many local high schools have switched to these for their pit orchestras. Some pit members complained that the light isn't bright enough. I suggested they try 2 lights on one stand, and that worked very well.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
A
A
Great information. I've tried different battery-operated lights and they are never bright enough for me. Plus they never cover two pages. This one sounds like it might do the trick. Thanks for sharing this.

2013 Mason and Hamlin BB
Full-time music professor (theory) and jazz pianist
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Good idea. Thanks.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
These are great to have for any power outage emergency, clip to a cabinet door and you can provide plenty of ambient lighting in a kitchen for cooking, wear around your neck clipped to the back of your shirt color. I used one extensively for 7 days in an ice storm. Great in the car too.

David

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I keep several on hand for rehearsals at my house. The track lighting is focused on the piano, so string players often have a hard time seeing past dusk. These solve the problem and work great.

When I go out to rehearsal, I never leave home without at least one. That, and white-out, hiliters, pencils, two vinyl erasers, tape, an extra binder, and at least two meals in an insulated bag plus an MP3 recorder.

Is that excessive, you think?

Now if only we could solve the problem of turning pages as easily...

Last edited by laguna_greg; 06/15/13 03:49 PM. Reason: oops!

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
I've tried those too, and for what they are, they're great.

To me, though, this is the VERY BEST portable, battery-powered (and rechargeable!) lighting solution -- by a wide margin:

http://www.lotuslights.net/HTML/LED34.html

The Lotus Light is a simple, elegant, wonderful device that changed my musical life for the better, and I can't say enough good things about it. Not inexpensive, but worth well more than twice the price.

BTW, I have no connection with Lotus Lights except as a happy customer -- I've bought three, and I recommend them to every musician I know.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
That Lotus light looks very cool ! Thanks, I'm going to check into that.

In my studio, on the D, I've been using the House of Troy lamp. It works well and no complaints.
http://www.houseoftroy.com/products...amily=Grand+Piano+Lamps&ItemNum=GP14

And then an older HOT model that's similar, but discontinued, for my Nord Piano live on gigs. It illuminates everything well, but it's not made for clamping on a thin profile, metal music rack, like on the Nord. Plus it's a bit large and unwieldily to fit the cord/accessories bag.

The LL LED34 looks perfect.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Gretchen, I recently needed a battery or usb powered light for mostly gigs in poor light. I read your post and thought I would try a Duet2. I figured if I didn't like it I would use it as an odd funky flashlight for $20. Well, to my surprise this light is the truly the best, so much that I even use it at home now as my primary piano light. I love that fact that it has two light heads that can spread across the keyboard and 2 brightness settings. In some live performances i just use one head set low. It gives just enough light without drawing attention. AC adapter is a bonus. I keep the ac adapter at home and use 3AAA batteries when on the road. Exactly what I was looking for and only $20! Great recommendation. Thank You

Below is my Kawai ES7 at home with the Duet2:
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission