Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2145523 - 09/06/13 11:44 PM Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)?
Steve Armstrong Offline

hi everyone
Looking for some actual sources, not opinionsthat address the importance of learning Bach in the early years of study, especially in higher education. For example, many institutes require prelude and fugues, and/or all the 2 & 3 part inventions in the first year(s).

Does anyone know of any books or articles that discuss this?

Please don't clog up this thread with "it's the independency of lines musically and technically blablabla"...I know...I don't care, I just need academic sources. Thanks!

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2145531 - 09/07/13 12:42 AM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Steve Armstrong]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
In the US, there is almost no agreement and certainly no organized effort to suggest or enforce such a curriculum.

If you polled college professors in the US and asked them, I'm almost sure they'd all say "it's the independency of lines musically and technically blablabla" Either that, or they'd point out that Beethoven was taught Bach as a youngster, so we should do that, too... (more blablablablabla...)

I can't even think of an academic journal that would publish such an article. It's a little too specific for JRME, and the audience isn't quite right for AMT or Clavier Companion (neither of which are academic journals anyway), and nobody really writes or reads the peer-reviewed MTNA eJournal. It might be treated in the USC online journal, but it's not widely read.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2145565 - 09/07/13 02:22 AM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Steve Armstrong]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
Steve,

I'm rather curious why you'd want to approach the question that way.

Do you doubt the efficacy of assigning Bach during the years of study? Or do you wonder why it's required on college-level auditions?

Myself, I think that it's required audition rep because it's very difficult to make that kind of thing sound like music. College-level teachers are only interested in considering students that can make it sound like...something.

No, that's not going to show up in an academic journal. But then again, why do you want a citation in a music journal? It's not going to have a strong basis in science anyway, if that's what you're looking for.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2145627 - 09/07/13 07:36 AM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Steve Armstrong]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Steve Armstrong
hi everyone
Looking for some actual sources, not opinionsthat address the importance of learning Bach in the early years of study, especially in higher education. For example, many institutes require prelude and fugues, and/or all the 2 & 3 part inventions in the first year(s).

Please don't clog up this thread with "it's the independency of lines musically and technically blablabla"...I know...I don't care, I just need academic sources. Thanks!

Are you writing a paper on this subject?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2145684 - 09/07/13 10:33 AM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Steve Armstrong]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Good luck finding 'actual sources' that do not reflect opinions on this or any other topic.

#2145722 - 09/07/13 12:03 PM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: malkin]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: malkin
Good luck finding 'actual sources' that do not reflect opinions on this or any other topic.

Nicely put! smirk

I don't have any actual sources, either, but I do have plenty of opinions on this subject, with which I could easily "clog up" the thread.

#2145842 - 09/07/13 03:10 PM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Steve Armstrong]
Dwscamel Offline

What an arrogant way of posing the question.

#2145859 - 09/07/13 03:39 PM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Steve Armstrong]
Opus_Maximus Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

hFor example, many institutes require prelude and fugues, and/or all the 2 & 3 part inventions in the first year(s).

Do they?? Never heard of this...

#2145897 - 09/07/13 05:18 PM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Morodiene]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
hi everyone

Are you writing a paper on this subject?

Yeah, I got the distinct impression that Mr. Armstrong was asking us to do his homework for him. wink

#2145934 - 09/07/13 06:23 PM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Steve Armstrong]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

hi everyone
Looking for some actual sources, not opinionsthat address the importance of learning Bach in the early years of study, especially in higher education.

This reminds me of George Carlin talking about "jumbo shrimp"...which is it, Jumbo or Shrimp?

In other words are you asking about "early years of study" (elementary) or the later years of study (college).

I would think that "early years of study" rules out college studies. Perhaps the OP misunderstood his assignment.

#2145941 - 09/07/13 06:36 PM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Steve Armstrong]
KurtZ Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
Why do they call them apartments when they're all attached to one another?

#2145989 - 09/07/13 08:09 PM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: KurtZ]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: KurtZ

laugh

Does anyone know the answer? Please do not give opinions. I only want academic sources cited.

#2146109 - 09/08/13 12:41 AM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Steve Armstrong]
Steve Armstrong Offline

wow you are all really blowing this way out of proportion. Stop looking too far into it and making assumptions and jumping to conclusions. My question doesn't even express an opinion. I'm not questioning any institutes' methods, or whatever. Mr. Armstrong does not in fact have an assignment or a paper. I simply asked if anyone knows of any sources that discuss this topic, that's it. There are similar ideas to this such as playing Hanon. Rachmaninoff said in his first year, all students had to play every Hanon exercise in every key at ridiculous tempi. I just wanted to know if there is any discussion about Bach specifically in the first year (or any year really). Is that so hard?

I'd expect everybody's opinions would be the similar if not the same to any text - that's not the point. But hey who knows, a source might even say Bach isn't important! Again, not the point. Just want to find a published source that discusses/addresses/mentions the topic. I'm not looking for sources that contradict opinions, or support! God.

There's that many GD posts here that talk about Bach in early years at least with beginners with the Bach minuets. It was required of me to learn a prelude and fugue in first year of tertiary studies but I didn't have to choose one of Bach's. I know a former pupil of Michelangeli who said that she could play all of Rachmaninoff's concertos but when she began studies with Michelangeli, he made her "start over" with Bach inventions. I have also read about the topic in the Etude magazine - I think it was - but can't find it again! Well all know the benefits of learning Bach, again, I'm just looking for a source that discusses it.

If anyone has any helpful suggestions then great, if not, you don't need to say anything. Mocking and making snide remarks isn't helpful. If it makes you feel better about yourself, well then I suppose it is helpful to somebody.

Thank you all for making my experience here with this community a very positive, fruitful and rewarding one. (Yes, you would be correct in assuming that was sarcasm)

#2146120 - 09/08/13 01:34 AM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s) [Re: Steve Armstrong]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Mocking and making snide remarks isn't helpful. If it makes you feel better about yourself, well then I suppose it is helpful to somebody.

Thank you all for making my experience here with this community a very positive, fruitful and rewarding one. (Yes, you would be correct in assuming that was sarcasm)
Well, it's possible that the tone of your request might have had something to do with the tone of the replies. It did seem somewhat blunt and demanding.
Please don't clog up this thread with "it's the independency of lines musically and technically blablabla"...I know...I don't care, I just need academic sources.

#2146132 - 09/08/13 02:11 AM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s) [Re: currawong]
Steve Armstrong Offline

well sure it could be interpreted that way. It's hard to be sure about tone.

#2146154 - 09/08/13 03:11 AM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Steve Armstrong]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
I know a former pupil of Michelangeli who said that she could play all of Rachmaninoff's concertos but when she began studies with Michelangeli, he made her "start over" with Bach inventions. I have also read about the topic in the Etude magazine - I think it was - but can't find it again! Well all know the benefits of learning Bach, again, I'm just looking for a source that discusses it.

If anyone has any helpful suggestions then great, if not, you don't need to say anything. Mocking and making snide remarks isn't helpful. If it makes you feel better about yourself, well then I suppose it is helpful to somebody.

I myself am not familiar enough with the topic to be able to [yet] personally direct you to textual resources, however, I do keep this thread bookmarked which discusses Bach's 2+3part inventions in detail - both how they were written with the purpose of being compositional exercises (and not specifically technical ones) and how they may best be taught/learned. There's also a nice link to another thread regarding ornamentation of the inventions. See here: http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,2714.msg23310.html#msg23310

Also, perhaps one of these pedagogical texts on technique might provide a more objective analysis of Bach's works and the pedagogical value contained therein: http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,4385.msg41226.html#msg41226

#2146169 - 09/08/13 04:00 AM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Bobpickle]
Steve Armstrong Offline

Thanks bobpickle! Maybe not quite what I'm looking for but looks interesting anyway. Will have to go through them smile

#2146327 - 09/08/13 12:54 PM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Overexposed]
KurtZ Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
Originally Posted By: Ann in Kentucky

laugh

Does anyone know the answer? Please do not give opinions. I only want academic sources cited.

Well played Ann, well played.

As long as were here: Why do we drive on the parkway but park on the driveway?

#2146433 - 09/08/13 03:11 PM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Steve Armstrong]
Morodiene Offline

wow you are all really blowing this way out of proportion. Stop looking too far into it and making assumptions and jumping to conclusions. My question doesn't even express an opinion. I'm not questioning any institutes' methods, or whatever. Mr. Armstrong does not in fact have an assignment or a paper. I simply asked if anyone knows of any sources that discuss this topic, that's it. There are similar ideas to this such as playing Hanon. Rachmaninoff said in his first year, all students had to play every Hanon exercise in every key at ridiculous tempi. I just wanted to know if there is any discussion about Bach specifically in the first year (or any year really). Is that so hard?

I'd expect everybody's opinions would be the similar if not the same to any text - that's not the point. But hey who knows, a source might even say Bach isn't important! Again, not the point. Just want to find a published source that discusses/addresses/mentions the topic. I'm not looking for sources that contradict opinions, or support! God.

There's that many GD posts here that talk about Bach in early years at least with beginners with the Bach minuets. It was required of me to learn a prelude and fugue in first year of tertiary studies but I didn't have to choose one of Bach's. I know a former pupil of Michelangeli who said that she could play all of Rachmaninoff's concertos but when she began studies with Michelangeli, he made her "start over" with Bach inventions. I have also read about the topic in the Etude magazine - I think it was - but can't find it again! Well all know the benefits of learning Bach, again, I'm just looking for a source that discusses it.

Many of the teachers on this forum are professionals who usually get paid to give out information. We come on here to help one another when we can in spite of this fact. I would think one would be satisfied and happy with whatever information is given, and not sour and demanding. It certainly would give us motivation to assist you.

With this attitude and the one in the original post, I for one, do not feel inclined to help. Good luck in your research.

#2146541 - 09/08/13 06:00 PM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Steve Armstrong]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
...My question doesn't even express an opinion..

Clearly entirely unbiased. Like the Fox network.

#2146554 - 09/08/13 06:28 PM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Steve Armstrong]
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: pagosa springs,co
I am hopeful that music can calm any and all beasts in the media. It's not their fault....they have to report 24/7....same stuff...how boring....though I have no problem practicing Bach and Chopin for years...and then some.

rada

thanks for everyone's input I always try to find something to learn.

#2146568 - 09/08/13 06:55 PM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: malkin]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California

Oh, please. Please keep politically slanted issues out of this forum.
I come here to get away from politics and TV. Stay with piano-related discussion.
thanks.

#2146641 - 09/08/13 09:43 PM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Steve Armstrong]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Perhaps a less tendentious question to ask would be: are there any published materials about what to include in a conservatory or university piano major curriculum? Or is the curriculum planning all handed down by tradition and word of mouth?

#2146667 - 09/08/13 11:13 PM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Barb860]
red-rose Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: Barb860

Oh, please. Please keep politically slanted issues out of this forum.
I come here to get away from politics and TV. Stay with piano-related discussion.
thanks.

Yeesh. Does anyone honestly believe ANY tv network is "unbiased?" Sigh. (That's meant as a rhetorical question!)

#2146848 - 09/09/13 10:05 AM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Steve Armstrong]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"...Mocking and making snide remarks isn't helpful..."

That is their greatness, Steve.

As for your original question: visiting a library may be helpful. Librarians are sometimes more kindly than piano teachers or university professors; anyway, they will know how to direct you to the resources.

#2146896 - 09/09/13 11:47 AM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Steve Armstrong]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Wasn't it Chopin who used to warm up in the morning with a romp through some Bach WTC gems ... I take the dogs for a walk.

But then I drive a Ford.

#2146897 - 09/09/13 11:54 AM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: KurtZ]
prenex Offline

Loc: Minnesota

They look attached, but are built detache. You know, in the appropriate style.

#2146913 - 09/09/13 12:16 PM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Steve Armstrong]
Sweet06 Offline

the funny thing is, is those sources are just links to other peoples opinions lol.

i guess you professional teachers aren't professional enough to use your opinions wink

Edited by Sweet06 (09/09/13 12:17 PM)

#2147149 - 09/09/13 07:13 PM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Sweet06]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: Sweet06
the funny thing is, is those sources are just links to other peoples opinions lol.

i guess you professional teachers aren't professional enough to use your opinions wink
Exactly. laugh

#2147158 - 09/09/13 07:28 PM Re: Why do higher ed. institutes teach Bach in first year(s)? [Re: Steve Armstrong]
Sweet06 Offline

books and articles are written by non bias robots that are programmed by aliens to only write truth based on robot instilled intelligence! lol ok i'm done laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
168 registered (accordeur, Abby Pianoman, Alexander Borro, 36251, 55 invisible), 1530 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157249 Topics
2309607 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Aebersold Play-Alongs
by EP
09/02/14 06:39 PM
Plan on playing this Thursday night
by Visalia
09/02/14 06:16 PM
New Kawai DP & RH3 action (CN35 & CN25)
by Northerner
09/02/14 04:50 PM
Kawai MP11 firmware v1.07
by DilEcosse
09/02/14 04:24 PM
all BBCode tags are broken
by beet31425
09/02/14 03:13 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission