2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
OP Offline
P
I'm learning the 2nd etude from S. 141 (as you can see below :D), and was just curious what the "focus" of the study is. I know it's nicknamed the octave etude, but I find it curious as the octave section is barely 1/3 of the piece!
As for the others, do they work on anything special, or did Liszt just want cool sounding piano transcriptions of the caprices?
In addition, how do they compare in difficulty to each other, assuming the 2nd is fairly "easy" (requires a lot of slow practice, but not more than 2 weeks to a month's worth) for me?

Everyday is a great day.
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Of the group, I've only ever played La Campanella. To me, it seems there are several clear objectives written into each piece, but no "one" specific technical element throughout. So, when you break the piece down by section (in the case of La Campanella), there is often a slightly different "version" of the challenge presenting a different technical element (and sometimes a "compounded/complex" element) in each repetition.

Octaves certainly do seem to be a strong feature in the 2nd etude, whether as true one-handed octaves, or split between two hands, or even alternating hands. I would say they're certainly prevalent through most of the piece.

But take the "name" of the etude with a grain of salt. There are no bell parts written for La Campanella, for example. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Derulux

But take the "name" of the etude with a grain of salt. There are no bell parts written for La Campanella, for example. wink

I think a case could be made for bells in La Campanella.

As for the others, the first one is a study of tremolos as the nickname implies. The fourth one, arpeggios. I'm not sure about the fifth one. It's nickname is "the hunt" I suppose from the harmonic structure resembling the sounding of horns in a hunting party. The sixth one is all over the place with each variation tackling a different mechanic. I've played the first one and the sixth one but can't imagine playing the second or third. Above my pay grade.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Damon
[quote=Derulux]

I've played the first one and the sixth one but can't imagine playing the second or third. Above my pay grade.

Unless my English really did get bad over the summer, you think the 2nd is harder than the 6th??
Also- even though La Campanella is the most played, is it the hardest?

Everyday is a great day.
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

I think a case could be made for bells in La Campanella.

As for the others, the first one is a study of tremolos as the nickname implies. The fourth one, arpeggios. I'm not sure about the fifth one. It's nickname is "the hunt" I suppose from the harmonic structure resembling the sounding of horns in a hunting party. The sixth one is all over the place with each variation tackling a different mechanic. I've played the first one and the sixth one but can't imagine playing the second or third. Above my pay grade.

Perhaps if it had been composed for (or performed on) a carillon? grin

I listened to Kissin play the 2nd when I first read this thread. I admit, it sounds daunting at the speed he plays it. The alternating chromatics.. wow. Octaves, though, not so bad.

Sixth is the theme-and-variation, right? You should give La Campanella a shot.. similar vein. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
P
OP Offline
P
[quote=Damon][quote=Derulux]
I listened to Kissin play the 2nd when I first read this thread. I admit, it sounds daunting at the speed he plays it. The alternating chromatics.. wow. Octaves, though, not so bad.

Sixth is the theme-and-variation, right? You should give La Campanella a shot.. similar vein. smile

Yes, the 6th is the famous variations based on the 24th caprice (which I think is agreed to be the hardest... (any violinists??)
As for the 2nd, I think it's a LOT easier than it sounds. Especially the interchanging octaves- just takes a little slow practice. And good eyesight! laugh
As for the descending scales, yes, he plays them fast (and perfectly), but they're also made to sound harder with little taps of pedal here and there (at least in my mind). I like the piece a little lighter than Kissin's, as I think it imitates the violin more accurately; but, Kissin is always just amazing, so I can't complain ^^
La Campanella is the same vein as no. 2, or no. 6? laugh
I would love to learn all of them for a recital and/or competition next year.

Everyday is a great day.
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I meant to imply the "theme and variation" similarity in La Campanella. Not a true "variation", but in a similar vein, since Liszt changes the technical difficulty in each repetition of the theme(s).

The LH octaves at the end of La Campanella are among the hardest technical difficulty of anything I've ever played.. and octaves are probably my single best technical ability.

P
OP Offline
P
octaves are probably my single best technical ability.

Lucky >_< I can barely reach octaves comfortably enough to play them well. Especially with 3rd finger for legato!
The actual octave section in the 2nd reminds me of Op. 25 no. 10. Yikes!

Everyday is a great day.
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by pianorigami
octaves are probably my single best technical ability.

Lucky >_< I can barely reach octaves comfortably enough to play them well. Especially with 3rd finger for legato!
The actual octave section in the 2nd reminds me of Op. 25 no. 10. Yikes!

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I use 13 or even 14 for octaves. I almost always use 15. So, don't worry if you can't reach 13. You really never need it. smile

Assuming by 25-10, you mean Chopin? I've never played any of the Chopin etudes, but for fun I did read through this etude a couple times. It's not that bad, as long as you stay loose. Tension is death, though, because fatigue will set in quickly. wink

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

There is a bell part in rondo of the concerto that is the source of the tune, and that's the reason for the nickname.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
[quote=Derulux]

I've played the first one and the sixth one but can't imagine playing the second or third. Above my pay grade.

Unless my English really did get bad over the summer, you think the 2nd is harder than the 6th??
Also- even though La Campanella is the most played, is it the hardest?

In my opinion, from hardest to easiest:

1. La Campanella (3)
2. Octave (2)
3. Theme and Variations (6)
4. Arpeggio (4)
5. Tremolo (1)
6. The hunt (5)

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

Perhaps if it had been composed for (or performed on) a carillon? grin

I think the persistent alternating D# has Liszt representing the 'bell' section of the concerto.

I have given it a shot. I don't see how anyone seriously compares the difficulty of La Campanella to any of the other etudes.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey, I think the 6th is comparatively easy. I've taught it a bunch and performed it a few times as well. I also think it' the most interesting musically of the the set.

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by laguna_greg
Hey, I think the 6th is comparatively easy. I've taught it a bunch and performed it a few times as well. I also think it' the most interesting musically of the the set.

Agreed. I played it when I was 14, before I knew how to play the piano. Of course, I didn't play it very well.

Concert Pianist, University Professor, Private Teacher in Los Angeles
Blog: http://www.pianoteacherlosangeles.com/
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I'm learning the 2nd etude from S. 141 (as you can see below :D), and was just curious what the "focus" of the study is. I know it's nicknamed the octave etude, but I find it curious as the octave section is barely 1/3 of the piece!
As for the others, do they work on anything special, or did Liszt just want cool sounding piano transcriptions of the caprices?
In addition, how do they compare in difficulty to each other, assuming the 2nd is fairly "easy" (requires a lot of slow practice, but not more than 2 weeks to a month's worth) for me?

Even though at times these pieces seem to focus on some technical issue, I put them in a category with the etudes of Chopin. That is, they are are not really meant to be teaching pieces, but rather are designed to showcase the pianists existing skills. They are concert pieces. This is not to imply that we don't learn and hopefully improve with each piece we study.

Concert Pianist, University Professor, Private Teacher in Los Angeles
Blog: http://www.pianoteacherlosangeles.com/
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by wr

There is a bell part in rondo of the concerto that is the source of the tune, and that's the reason for the nickname.

I understand.. was offering a quasi-facetious reply to highly the difficulty with "literally" interpreting the nickname of the piece. Thanks for the recording, though. Haven't listened to the original Paganini in years. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NeilOS

Even though at times these pieces seem to focus on some technical issue, I put them in a category with the etudes of Chopin. That is, they are are not really meant to be teaching pieces, but rather are designed to showcase the pianists existing skills. They are concert pieces. This is not to imply that we don't learn and hopefully improve with each piece we study.

I'd go along with all that as well!

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I think that the main objective is overlooked here: Liszt was, like Chopin and Schumann and a lot more collegues, overwhelmed by the sheer virtuosity of Nicolai Paganini, and it was just a pianistic challenge for him to transcribe some of the violinistic fireworks for the piano in such a way that the violinistics would make place for pianistics, as a result we have those wonderful Paganini-etudes by Liszt, oh lest we forget: op.3 and op.10 by Schumann and a little contribution by no less a person than Brahms.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Indeed, Liszt wanted to be the Paganini of the Piano. If you want a real challenge, play the original set, S140.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
If you want a real challenge, play the original set, S140.

For what purpose? The 1851 revision of the 1838 original is superior in literally EVERY measure, why on earth would anyone play the original today? Certainly -I would think- there would be a better use of one's time?

Leslie Howard must have wondered if it was worth his time, which clearly it wasn't, but he did agree to record everything for Hyperion. But for most of us, just looking at the score of the 1838 version tells us enough.

Jason
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission