Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 184 of 203 < 1 2 ... 182 183 184 185 186 ... 202 203 >
Topic Options
#2141250 - 08/30/13 08:38 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Loc: Texas
Scorpio, Your "The Entertainer" was very entertaining. Very nicely done. I've decided to go back and make some recordings of earlier stuff up to now. I like the idea of being able, in the future, to go back and listen to what I used to sound like. It also forces one to get the pieces into a more polished state.

PianoStudent88, Thanks for the info. I will not be lifting the fingers. I've been struggling with tension in the hands and wrists and lifting fingers doesn't help with that...

Welcome Barry1963, good luck with Alfreds, hope enjoy it.

AJ

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2142001 - 08/31/13 10:28 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ajames]
Alux Offline

Loc: Perth, Australia (Originally f...
Scorpio, you did a great rendition of Amazing Grace & The Entertainer, thanks for sharing.

Cheers!
Alux

#2142028 - 08/31/13 11:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: scorpio]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: scorpio
Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
We understand more now about the biomechanics of playing the piano.

I recently purchased a book (arrives today) just on this topic. I want to be more aware of how the fingers, arms and body coordinate while playing the piano. More importantly, I hope to learn how to reduce tension and strain, and to avoid injury.

The book comes with terrific feedback and reviews:
What Every Pianists Needs to Know About the Body by Thomas Carson Mark

I appreciate that link. I'm always trying to understand physiology better. I have another good book on playing that discusses much about physiology: The Art of Practicing by Madeline Bruser. She gets into things like yoga and meditation. It is interesting and good.
I'm sure you people are interested in playing piano without stress, strain, and injury. Not becoming a physical training coach. A person could study a bunch on physiology. I have had to. I'm no great athlete. I've searched out the best trainer I could find. I have a Coach who could tell you all about the physiology of piano playing. Yet he has never played piano. He understands physiology that well. I would suggest though that people who want to reduce stress, strain, and avoid injury. You might be interested in his mobility. It does a ton for a person. It is a fountain of youth. It isn't exercise either. Just moving your body through all the ways it can move everyday. You'd be surprised what it does for you. More than anything else in exercise, it has made it possible for me to do things like play piano.

Based on that. My biggest problem physiologically in playing piano is the bad habit of extending my shoulders. Piano will seek this out and leave you in ruins. Even though, interestingly, piano ain't any stress weight wise. The best example I can give on extending shoulders is the difference between body builders and athletes. Body builders have extended shoulders and always have problems with their shoulders as a result. They actually build up those extender muscles. Because it looks impressive. But look at boxers and other athletes. Their shoulders are packed. They're down and in.

Scorpio.... I appreciated those pieces. Nicely done.

My teacher and I are at page 108, 109 in the book. I take to those Blues songs easily. Anything with rhythm. We have slowed way down on getting through. The reason is the development of my nervous system/autonomic mind, in playing. It has held me up. Our focus right now is on getting this developed. I can play anything. Doesn't matter what. Just get in that time to get that part of the mind developed. Still, when I play other things. I come back to the book because it is focused on developing this part of the mind. Playing anything else is more sort of a little break. Then back to focus. I'm coming along. My teacher knows this is very important.

#2142049 - 09/01/13 12:18 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ajames]
Barry1963 Offline

Loc: Nashville, Tennessee
Originally Posted By: ajames
Hi all,
I started Alfred's Adult All-in-one level 1 a few months ago and I'm up to around Brahms Lullaby. Self-teaching for now. It sounds like many of you are moving on the Book 2 right now, hope there are some others still here to carry on the level 1 torch!

I've recently gone back to the Hanon's exercises (skipped 'em the first time through)-- its nice to have some brain-dead things to do on those days I'm tired or just not playing well for whatever reason. What do others think of the "left fingers HIGH!" instruction in the book. I've been ignoring it so far.
AJ

I'll be there with you
currently Alfreds book #1
Hallet & Davis Co , spinet

#2142395 - 09/01/13 05:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Edtek Offline

Loc: El Paso
Londonderry Air from Alfred's All Time Favorites, level 1. Played on Yamaha P105 and recorded using Wavepad (a free program from NCH which is very easy to use). Londonderry Air

I used the 1st ending without a repeat since I thought the 2nd ending was too low.

Struggled to keep the LH soft.

#2143279 - 09/03/13 06:32 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Shey Online   content

Loc: Greater Manchester, England
Mad week last week! Arrival of new baby in the family.
A welcome to Barry 1963 to the forum, everyone is so helpful here.
I have had little piano practice and not covered any of my theory practice either over the last week with all the excitement.
Just had a little dabble last night and it was wonderful to get back to it.
I have ordered Masterworks Classics and have some Christmas songs and of course progressing with theory. Along with "Entertainer" and "Amazing Grace" to complete then revision of the AIO book 1, I have plenty to go at. I am very happy since it's not that long ago I posted 'Stuck' and felt quite desperate. So, Barry and any other newbies you are in the right place at the right time when you find yourself here.
Adult returner

#2143429 - 09/03/13 01:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
nvyguy Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hey y'all!!! My name is Andy and I've just started on book 1 (Alfred's Self Teaching Adult Piano course) in the last week and already up to about page 30. Practice time is usually from the time the kids go to school in the morning until they come home in the afternoon which is nice and quiet. Will also review from the beginning up to where I'm currently at in "the book" until proficiency and muscle memory are adequate.

P.S. Introductory post over in the "Tell Us About Yourself" thread.

#2144052 - 09/04/13 01:46 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
sydnal Offline

Hi again all;

First of all welcome to the newcomers.

And congratulations Scorpio, both for your very smooth recordings and for being graduated from Alfred's 1. Hopefully I will be following you to Alfred's 2 thread soon since I too have some progress to report.

Here is my recording of "The Ballad of Gilligan's Isle".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFZWFMqh_jM

This piece took me a lot longer than I expected. Only the last piece left now, I am hoping the it was not put there to be an end game boss smile

#2144143 - 09/04/13 04:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Well done sydnal, quite a tricky piece I can see why it might have taken you longer than expected. Nicely played the end is in sight

#2145245 - 09/06/13 12:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: sydnal]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
sydnal, Another quality piece! Thank you. Thank you. thumb

#2145618 - 09/07/13 06:32 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
angelsong Offline

Loc: NW England
I've been 'lurking' here for a couple of months and feel it is now time to introduce myself.For my 64th birthday in March I got a piano and have been working through Alfred All-in-One Course, Book 1. I don't know why I waited till now - always wanted to learn as a child, but didn't get the opportunity and then somehow other things take over and we just bury that dream. However, I'm truly loving this - have reached Lesson 70: Good People and am finding this a bit difficult - have found other pieces difficult, some extremely difficult, but they seemed to slowly come together. With this, even though I'm 'hitting' the right keys, it's not sounding right - think I may just live with that and return at a later stage. So, just wanted to say 'Hi'.

#2145621 - 09/07/13 06:54 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi angelsong and welcome to the forum and specifically to the book 1 thread. With all the new concepts and technical issues the first year can seem daunting but I think your right to leave something to return later. Good chance other improvements will make what seemed difficult easier.

#2145657 - 09/07/13 09:25 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
angelsong Offline

Thanks earlofmar for yr helpful comments - really encouraging.

#2146898 - 09/09/13 11:54 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Loc: Texas
Welcome nvyguy and angelsong,

I made a mini-breakthrough a week or so ago, when I figured out that I really had to slow down until I could get all the notes (and rhythm) correct. I was sorta stuck on Brahms Lullaby for a week, just couldn't play it through mistake-free. Part of the problem was it's such a familiar tune, you know what the tempo should be. The other part, for me, was a little voice in my head saying;"C'mon, you've been playing for a while now, you don't have to slow down anymore". Well the voice of impatience was wrong because I do have to slow down.

Has anybody else noticed that if you make the same mistake say, two times in a row, it seems to "lock in" your fingers and you have to slow down and play it correctly like 10 or more times to get it to where you don't just automatically make that mistake?

#2146971 - 09/09/13 01:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ajames]
Barry1963 Offline

Thanks for all the welcomes !! My book is finally due to arrive today, looking forward to getting started. Just have a 61 key keyboard for now but considering it allows me to use headphones, that may be a blessing to others for a while
grin

#2147343 - 09/10/13 02:04 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
sydnal Offline

earlofmar & scorpio: Thanks for your comments.

angelsong: Welcome! I think you are not the only person having problems with "Good People", I know I did. Imho it's one of the sudden jumps in difficulty in the book. (Others I can remember are "Blow the Man Down", last 2 pieces (Entertainer & Amazing Grace) and the final popular pieces). Moreover, I find that the stronger the melody of a piece is, the easier it is to learn so this makes the bluesy and strange pieces harder to play smoothly. (Good People, Laura at the end of the book which has too weird harmonies for my taste). Anyway, these are my 2 cents, good luck!

#2147472 - 09/10/13 10:24 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
MJP Offline

Hi all, I just started out back in July and for someone who's tried guitar twice and clarinet once, I'm shocked by how much I enjoy learning the piano. I started on a $40 keyboard on Craigslist and just acquired a PX-130 over the weekend after enjoying the heck out of practicing on my in-laws' slightly out-of-tune upright. The weighting and action makes all the difference in the world.

I'm still in book 1 and up to Alpine Melody and taking every opportunity I can to force myself to keep things slow and steady. That and forcing myself to move up on the keyboard when switching from right hand G major to right hand D7 in G position. Love Me Tender in the Greatest Hits book is also my current challenge, along with Hava Nagila that I found on a site with easy-ified sheet music (I gotta balance out all that Jingle Bells! laugh )

I'm glad that a thread like this exists - good to know I'm not alone.

#2147493 - 09/10/13 10:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: angelsong]
Moonraker Offline

Loc: Wales, UK
Hello angelsong & all on Piano World!

I've been lurking long enough & it's time to introduce myself.
I started piano 2yrs and a bit ago at age 63 without much knowledge of music. I played the recorder at school and studied the viola for a term or so without making any noticeable progress. (Before you ask, there weren't any violins in the cupboard). I did, however, learn a little about the treble clef & that was useful when I started on Alfred 1. Well, I'm proud to say that I worked my way to the end of Alfred 3 in July. Yeeees!! I'm self-taught and haven't recorded anything for anybody yet. In fact (whisper), nobody has even heard me. I'd like to get a teacher eventually but have to be sure I'll find enough time to get through the homework every week.

Anyway, I do feel able to make some comments about Alfred which I hope will help.

Good People: angelsong, it's probably the blues rhythm that you can't get with this one. Have you listened to the versions on Youtube? They're not all top-notch but sydnal, for example, plays it well. It's a really nice piece when you eventually get to play it tolerably. I always tried to get the notes & rhythm right before I listened to a piece. Often, though, the notes were correct but the rhythm was way out when I heard it played properly. I think this is a common problem. It still is with me though I think I'm doing better. You have done well to get to Good People and there are lots of good pieces ahead in the second half of Book 1. Also, the first pieces in Book 2 tend to be easier than those at the end of Book 1. There are some lemons (Just A Little ...., Just A Sorta.... Any of those set my teeth on edge) and you'll need to eat your Weetabix before you tackle La Bamba.

Overall, Alfred's is a very good series, and I hope you enjoy it. I'm now working on Masterworks Classics Level 3 which, as others have said, reaches parts that Alfred did not. The skill level is below Alfred 3 but it's certainly giving my arthritic left hand a thorough workout. There are 10 levels so I'm not going to finish any time soon...but I'm enjoying the journey.

#2147591 - 09/10/13 01:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
angelsong Offline

Thank you Moonraker, Sydnal, A James and anyone else I may have missed, for all the welcomes and particularly for the encouragement and advice on Good People. Really helpful - so glad I found this forum.

#2147595 - 09/10/13 01:46 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Moonraker]
angelsong Offline

Very interesting and encouraging to hear from someone of a similar age who's recently started and thanks for your helpful comments on Good People. I'm also really enjoying the journey!

#2147608 - 09/10/13 02:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: sydnal]
angelsong Offline

Thanks for yr comments on 'Good People'. I also found 'Blow the Man Down' very challenging, but was able to 'hear' the melody, even when I knew my timing wasn't quite right. However, with 'Good People', I just can't 'hear' the melody - yet!! It's so helpful to be able to share these 'problems' on a forum like this. Thanks agan.

#2147645 - 09/10/13 02:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Welcome! angelsong, MJP, Moonraker

Moonraker, I look forward to your comments and helpful hints to get me through the Alfred series.

Ironically, "Good People" is one of my favorite pieces in Book 1. It did take a little time to get it, but once I did I really enjoyed playing it. I think the big thing for anyone in Book 1, is to be patient. If you practice each day, progress is made. I am often amazed at how much improvement is made with a good night's rest.

#2147828 - 09/10/13 06:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Barry1963 Offline

Nice to have a group of beginners to hang with. Got as far as Aunt Rhodey tonight....lots of fun...my old hands are a bit stiff. Ive played guitar for over 40 years, Violin & Viola the last 6 years. Piano has been my dream for years, started learning a long time ago but had to give it up, not as easy to tote as a fiddle or guitar...I even own a console piano 600 miles away in my mothers living room, though I'm sure its seen its share of abuse and hasnt been tuned in at least 20 years

Edited by Barry1963 (09/10/13 10:50 PM)

#2148796 - 09/12/13 02:17 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
vandier Offline

Loc: Spain, Europe
Today I started Adult All in One #1 thanks to the recomendation of Barry1963 and I have to say that the books explains things so easily and I reached so far the Jingle Bells but I find really hard to play quarter notes, half notes.. with the right length. Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.

#2148918 - 09/12/13 04:54 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Shey]
angelsong Offline

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement - and welcome to the new baby!

#2148962 - 09/12/13 06:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Good choice to start the Alfred course vandier, but no matter what course you choose you will hit walls every now and again. Learning piano is an onslaught of new knowledge that can be easily read but takes the brain and fingers much longer to digest and implement. Take your time, don't expect too much and be grateful for any progress is the key. All the best

#2149206 - 09/13/13 05:37 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: earlofmar]
vandier Offline

Loc: Spain, Europe
I hit this giant wall of Jingle Bell xd I repeated it over 40 times and finally I succeded

#2149237 - 09/13/13 07:07 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
angelsong Offline

Well done Vandier - it's such a good feeling when we finally succeed.

#2149259 - 09/13/13 07:41 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: vandier]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
The Alfred's course will help you build a foundation, vandier. I stopped halfway through book 3 because I wanted to play more classical music, but I will go back to it sooner or later. Watch many videos on YouTube so you can hear the different ways these songs can sound and the right movements you need to do.

#2149285 - 09/13/13 08:33 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: vandier]
Barry1963 Offline

Originally Posted By: vandier
Today I started Adult All in One #1 thanks to the recomendation of Barry1963 and I have to say that the books explains things so easily and I reached so far the Jingle Bells but I find really hard to play quarter notes, half notes.. with the right length. Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.

Glad you like it Vandier !! It really does explain things well

Page 184 of 203 < 1 2 ... 182 183 184 185 186 ... 202 203 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Digital piano key noise
by bigsmile
09/21/14 03:15 AM
Hans von Bulow's piano
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:57 AM
Rubinstein teaching style
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:52 AM
Question regarding "technique"
by Francisco Scalco
09/21/14 12:29 AM
How about this Knabe Studio Piano?
by Paul678
09/20/14 11:49 PM
Who's Online
59 registered (bennevis, AliAlkhiro, 36251, beeboss, AZ_Astro, aesop, 12 invisible), 893 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157662 Topics
2315774 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission