Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
74 registered (ando, anamnesis, barbaram, Al LaPorte, 36251, 23 invisible), 1198 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2146407 - 09/08/13 02:41 PM How to protect piano from dust during kitchen remodel?
darb Offline

Hi, we are about to demo and remodel the kitchen. There will be a lot of dust. It is 1 room away from where the piano is and there is no door. The contractor will put up barriers, but I am assuming it will not be good enough and there will be a lot of dust.

I can't move the piano into storage because my daughter needs access to it to get ready for music school performance auditions.

She can go a couple of days where she just practices on her keyboard upstairs during the actual demo process when it will be most dusty. So I want to seal it up tight during that time. After that, I will want to peel back the cover so she can practice, but maybe cover it back up here and there in case there is any more dust floating in the air, and during floor-sanding, etc.

Is it good enough to just close the lid and put a few sheets over it, or do I need to do sheets, then plastic tarp, wrap around legs, etc.?

Suggestions? What materials to use?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2146428 - 09/08/13 03:03 PM Re: How to protect piano from dust during kitchen remodel? [Re: darb]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Hi Darb,

Do Not Use Plastic on the Piano!

You are best off with sheets or quilts covering all of the top surfaces. Is the piano a grand? If so, make sure that you drape to the floor the side nearest the remodel. Have your contractors hang plastic sheeting to block any opening or archways. That's standard practice anyway.

Enjoy your new kitchen, you piano is not in dire jeopardy. The protective measures you have described should do just fine.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2146472 - 09/08/13 04:38 PM Re: How to protect piano from dust during kitchen remodel? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
phacke Offline

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014

Loc: CO, USA
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty

Do Not Use Plastic on the Piano!

Among other possible reasons depending on your situation, components in plastic over the piano can interact with lacquer over time and badly damage the finish. Yes indeed, folks who may remember, I missed this critical consideration in a post I made some weeks ago.

Best wishes-

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Sonata No. 1 in B minor (BWV 1014) duet with violin
F. Chopin, Prelude 28 (15)

#2146497 - 09/08/13 05:15 PM Re: How to protect piano from dust during kitchen remodel? [Re: darb]
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
You could put together a bunch of furniture pads that you get when you rent a moving truck and tape them together to form a simple "quilt".
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#2146504 - 09/08/13 05:20 PM Re: How to protect piano from dust during kitchen remodel? [Re: terminaldegree]
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
The day I will have decoration work done in my home (early next year) during which I expect dust I already have in mind having my piano temporarily removed/stored by my dealer.

Yes it will cost some money but then I am sure it will not be damaged in any way.

schwammerl.

#2146536 - 09/08/13 05:56 PM Re: How to protect piano from dust during kitchen remodel? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
darb Offline

Yes, it's an Estonia 190 grand. I can drape sheets or a couple of quilts on it. Thanks for your help!

#2146539 - 09/08/13 05:58 PM Re: How to protect piano from dust during kitchen remodel? [Re: darb]
darb Offline

Oh yes, if I could I would pay to store it for a little while, but my daughter needs to continue practicing. I do have some pads - like for moving furniture, so I will use those also. Thanks!

#2146632 - 09/08/13 09:16 PM Re: How to protect piano from dust during kitchen remodel? [Re: darb]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I suggest putting a clean fitted bottom sheet that is large enough to reach over the entire case and then putting a plastic drop cloth over that. Of course the case must be closed up.

If you are having a lot of drywall mud work done that will raise the humidity so get a humidistat and check the RH. If it is above 55% consider running a room dehumidifier during the project as needed.

#2146636 - 09/08/13 09:35 PM Re: How to protect piano from dust during kitchen remodel? [Re: darb]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
I will repeat: Do Not Use Plastic on the Piano!

If the RH does rise, for whatever reason, the worst thing you can do is trap the moisture in the piano. Remodeling is not a moisture concern, it is a dust contamination problem, as you well know.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2146652 - 09/08/13 10:18 PM Re: How to protect piano from dust during kitchen remodel? [Re: darb]
Tararex Offline

Loc: Middle Georgia, USA
We've been extensively renovating an older home for five years - the last two with "piano on board".

Construction barriers did not come close to containing dust - in some cases quite a bit - from escaping to all corners of our home. Knowing this, I decided on using an extra-large auto cover for protection. While far from attractive, it blocks all dust and is easily removed/redraped. I suspect some type of plastic is involved somewhere in its structure but the tightly woven cloth-like texture does not react with the gloss poly finish.

Working on:
Bach Sinfonia A Minor

#2146659 - 09/08/13 10:44 PM Re: How to protect piano from dust during kitchen remodel? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Marty,
If you monitor and control humidity-the plastic dust barrier will keep the surface of the piano clean. Humidity can often be a construction issue with plaster or drywall and even large amounts of latex paint.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
android - QWERTY bluetooth keyboard as a midi piano
by mathy10544
11/28/14 06:30 AM
Black Friday is here - Seen any deals?
by MeghanM
11/28/14 01:16 AM
MIDI in on a Kawai VPC-1...
by pocoapoco
11/28/14 12:35 AM
Just joined
by wise_manzard
11/27/14 10:20 PM
LACHNIT MK22
by Vas
11/27/14 09:27 PM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159412 Topics
2341723 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission