Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2146409 - 09/08/13 02:46 PM Youtube videos
Dylan Tomlinson Offline

Loc: United States
Does anyone have any videos on youtube of them playing piano? I would love to see the variety of styles and songs!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2146446 - 09/08/13 03:31 PM Re: Youtube videos [Re: Dylan Tomlinson]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Look for OrangeSodaKing smile

I have some performances of me, but many other things, too. (Also, check for another recent channel of mine, Horszowski Piano, for some uploads of another pianist who has asked me to share some of his recordings.)

#2146465 - 09/08/13 04:22 PM Re: Youtube videos [Re: Orange Soda King]
Michael Sayers Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms län, Sverige
Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
Look for OrangeSodaKing smile

I have some performances of me, but many other things, too. (Also, check for another recent channel of mine, Horszowski Piano, for some uploads of another pianist who has asked me to share some of his recordings.)

I enjoyed hearing your recordings as well as the Gershiwn plays Gershwin (four songs) and the Firkusny who seems to be a pianist discussed less and less going forward.

p.s. - One of the schools I went to had an Imperial Bösendorfer as well!

M.

#2146468 - 09/08/13 04:31 PM Re: Youtube videos [Re: Dylan Tomlinson]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe

#2146479 - 09/08/13 04:59 PM Re: Youtube videos [Re: Dylan Tomlinson]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Recital I played with a friend last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0pDfcILpA

A video I made of a piece I wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQEvJ_qRpBM
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2146489 - 09/08/13 05:07 PM Re: Youtube videos [Re: Dylan Tomlinson]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

A man, Jason, I had forgotten this amazing piece and video...

Is there a place in Europe I can get that, or I have to rely in SMP, amazon, etc?

#2146495 - 09/08/13 05:12 PM Re: Youtube videos [Re: Dylan Tomlinson]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Probably have to rely on SMP or Amazon. frown
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2146521 - 09/08/13 05:31 PM Re: Youtube videos [Re: Dylan Tomlinson]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Ordered, but it's a pity that it's not available in Europe. I mean it's a considerable market I'd like to think.

#2146596 - 09/08/13 07:57 PM Re: Youtube videos [Re: Dylan Tomlinson]
Beth_Frances Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
I've just started putting up vids on YouTube for my students reference (see sig). I only started this weekend so at the moment there are 51 clips ranging from preliminary to grade 5.

#2146685 - 09/08/13 11:48 PM Re: Youtube videos [Re: Beth_Frances]
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Beth_Frances
I've just started putting up vids on YouTube for my students reference (see sig). I only started this weekend so at the moment there are 51 clips ranging from preliminary to grade 5.

I am curious to hear the pedagogical purpose(s) of posting videos of this type of material "for [your] students' reference."

Regards,

#2146692 - 09/09/13 12:06 AM Re: Youtube videos [Re: Nikolas]
D. S. F. Offline

Originally Posted By: Nikolas

Oh wow, it looks like I have a lot to explore! My funny computer will play the sound but only displays the pictures on youtube videos sometimes (but oddly enough I can ebb it on another site and see it, ha), so I'm not getting the scores...but, man I'm loving "And... it's gone" right now. I love the writing and the performance sounds excellent.

Edit: I'm also now looking for things which correspond with your name such as Anger and Depression I (is that you?). I remember hearing a good definition of depression as "anger turned inward." I never thought of the compositional possibilities until now.

Oh and Yes! Piano Stories! I love discovering new things that are good.

Edited by D. S. F. (09/09/13 12:12 AM)

#2146701 - 09/09/13 12:36 AM Re: Youtube videos [Re: Dylan Tomlinson]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Oh thank you so much!

First of all about flash (youtube) I have a kinda similar problem: If I try to go full screen from youtube, I get nothing, but if I paste the link in a forum (here for example) and go full screen then it works fine...

"And... it's gone" was composed by Nikos Drelas, a Greek composer. The guitarist is a friend of mine, Antonis Hatzinikolaou, who came in my studio and did the recording... wink

And yes, "Anger and Depression" and of course "Piano Stories" are all mine! laugh

There are a lot of things to explore (not too many though). And I hope to create more in a little while (once I get some time in my hands)...

#2146719 - 09/09/13 02:10 AM Re: Youtube videos [Re: Dylan Tomlinson]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Dylan Tomlinson
Does anyone have any videos on youtube of them playing piano? I would love to see the variety of styles and songs!

You can follow the link below to my youtube channel.

And FYI, since I'm a pianist and not a vocalist, you won't find too many "songs" on my channel. grin

#2146764 - 09/09/13 06:15 AM Re: Youtube videos [Re: Dylan Tomlinson]
Beth_Frances Offline

Not really a pedagogical purpose - more a chance for students to look through all the pieces and see which ones they would be excited about learning without me having to waste lesson time playing through options. I've only just started doing it so I don't really know how it'll work. Maybe none of them will look at any of my videos!

#2146768 - 09/09/13 06:38 AM Re: Youtube videos [Re: carey]
Michael Sayers Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: carey

And FYI, since I'm a pianist and not a vocalist, you won't find too many "songs" on my channel. grin

I still remember your recording of Clair de Lune - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKmvKYqYahg - wonderful compared to the numerous perfunctory recordings out there, other than this one I've only found enjoyment in Cliburn's recording of it.

You all are too reserved in mentioning your youtube channels. Humbleness is important, but so is having a chance to visit these.

M.

#2146859 - 09/09/13 10:31 AM Re: Youtube videos [Re: Dylan Tomlinson]
Nigel Keay Offline

Loc: Paris
Here's a couple of short pieces recorded recently that I uploaded http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT5Q6DT2Dfg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i8GqN-I60s I wrote them but I'm not a pianist, so it's not me playing.

#2146863 - 09/09/13 10:39 AM Re: Youtube videos [Re: Michael Sayers]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Michael Sayers

I still remember your recording of Clair de Lune - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKmvKYqYahg - wonderful compared to the numerous perfunctory recordings out there, other than this one I've only found enjoyment in Cliburn's recording of it.

Thanks Michael, you are very kind !!

#2146920 - 09/09/13 12:19 PM Re: Youtube videos [Re: Beth_Frances]
BruceD Online   content

Originally Posted By: Beth_Frances
Not really a pedagogical purpose - more a chance for students to look through all the pieces and see which ones they would be excited about learning without me having to waste lesson time playing through options. I've only just started doing it so I don't really know how it'll work. Maybe none of them will look at any of my videos!

I am not a piano teacher, so take my concern with a large grain of salt.

My thought is : Knowing that young piano students in particular can be great imitators, many may simply watch a video they like many times and try to copy what they see and hear without really learning the score from reading it. Or, even while knowing how to read the score, learning much of the piece by rote from watching a video.

In my experience, I never had a teacher who would spend lesson time "playing through options." My teachers chose what they thought would be best for me to learn at the time and, while they helped me with technical difficulties and even helped with developing some interpretive ideas, my responsibility was to learn the piece from the score on my own.

I think much facility in score reading and sight reading can be learned, even in the early stages of piano study (as so many of us had to do before Youtube), by working through pieces rather than just sitting back and watching and listening.

As I said, I am not a teacher, and each teacher presents materials in ways that s/he thinks is best for the student, but I would be concerned that providing all this material at the click of a mouse could possibly slow - if not hinder - some aspects of musical development in some students.

Regards,

#2146937 - 09/09/13 12:42 PM Re: Youtube videos [Re: Dylan Tomlinson]
musica71 Offline

Loc: Bend, Or.
http://youtu.be/6hgTC_Dd1q4 So many of us post videos!

#2146947 - 09/09/13 01:08 PM Re: Youtube videos [Re: BruceD]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD

My thought is : Knowing that young piano students in particular can be great imitators, many may simply watch a video they like many times and try to copy what they see and hear without really learning the score from reading it. Or, even while knowing how to read the score, learning much of the piece by rote from watching a video.

As I said, I am not a teacher, and each teacher presents materials in ways that s/he thinks is best for the student, but I would be concerned that providing all this material at the click of a mouse could possibly slow - if not hinder - some aspects of musical development in some students.

Regards,

You may not be aware that the ABRSM has long published CDs to go with their volumes of set pieces for all the grades.

Presumably, candidates who play exactly like the pianist on the CDs will get maximum marks wink
But at least it would save examiners having to endure odd interpretative quirks that might be imposed by teachers on their young charges......

#2146967 - 09/09/13 01:37 PM Re: Youtube videos [Re: bennevis]
BruceD Online   content

Originally Posted By: bennevis

Regards,

You may not be aware that the ABRSM has long published CDs to go with their volumes of set pieces for all the grades.

Presumably, candidates who play exactly like the pianist on the CDs will get maximum marks wink
But at least it would save examiners having to endure odd interpretative quirks that might be imposed by teachers on their young charges......

I am aware that RCM (Toronto) does the same.

Regards,

#2146970 - 09/09/13 01:43 PM Re: Youtube videos [Re: musica71]
BruceD Online   content

Originally Posted By: musica71
http://youtu.be/6hgTC_Dd1q4 So many of us post videos!

As I well know. My question wasn't about performers and teachers who post videos but about the express purpose that is behind some of those videos.

Moreover, I am of the generation that was taught - and learned well - to not be spoon-fed at each step along the way but, with the right materials and guidance, to do a lot of working out, figuring out and solving on my own. It may have taken longer, but the results - in some cases - may be greater.

As one of our well-known posters constantly reminds us :

"Do your homework." I suppose, in some cases, doing the homework consists of watching a video.

Regards,

#2146980 - 09/09/13 01:55 PM Re: Youtube videos [Re: BruceD]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Moreover, I am of the generation that was taught - and learned well - to not be spoon-fed at each step along the way but, with the right materials and guidance, to do a lot of working out, figuring out and solving on my own. It may have taken longer, but the results - in some cases - may be greater.

AMEN !!!!!!! thumb

And even if the results aren't necessarily "greater" the "process" of getting there - no matter how long - is extremely important to one's development as a musician.

#2147051 - 09/09/13 04:03 PM Re: Youtube videos [Re: Dylan Tomlinson]
Beth_Frances Offline

This is true. My videos are shot from the side so they can only work it out by listening, and if that improves their aural skills, awesome!

I understand your concerns, and yes, it would be better if they would sit down and nut it out themselves, but the thing is a) a lot of them won't. If it's too hard they'll leave it for me to help them next lesson and b) if they don't look at my video, they'll look at one of the hundreds of others of other kids/adults/teachers playing the pieces.

AMEB, the examination board in Australia, also puts out cds of their exam syllabus's. I've never had anyone get less than a B yet though and around half my students get As so I'm not too worried about exam marks. I just want happy students who are excited and engaged in what they're doing.

#2147135 - 09/09/13 06:42 PM Re: Youtube videos [Re: carey]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

AMEN !!!!!!! thumb

And even if the results aren't necessarily "greater" the "process" of getting there - no matter how long - is extremely important to one's development as a musician.

Don't people just learn pieces on their own without the help (or even knowledge) of their teacher, once they get to the stage of being able to read music well enough?

When I was going through the ABRSM grades, all my teachers chose the pieces they wanted me to learn, including all the fingerings they'd prepared in advance, etc, etc. On my own, after Grade 5, I learnt Rachmaninoff's C# minor Prelude, some Chopin waltzes, Beethoven's Pathetique, and his Spring Sonata so that I could partner my violinist cousin (who was also learning it without the knowledge of his violin teacher), with whom I'd already played some easy salon music like Godard's Berceuse and other arrangements for violin & piano. Not to mention muddling my way through (attrib.) Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D minor from the original organ score, and Beethoven's 5th Symphony from the orchestral score. And lots more. (My school's music department had a good library).

I thought it was all fun, and never thought of it as contributing to my development as a pianist - that was my teachers' job grin. Looking back at it all now, yes, I was being totally spoon-fed by my teachers, but that was the way kids were taught then. I don't remember them ever giving me a choice of pieces to learn, whether for the exams or anything else, and I never thought of asking them to teach me pieces that I particularly wanted to play: much more fun to learn the latter on my own so that I could play them exactly the way I wanted, without their interpretation being imposed on me grin. And yes, I did check by listening to recordings (whenever possible) that I wasn't inadvertently misreading anything, though I never tried to copy what the pianist did on the recording. By then, I already had my own mind about how the music should go. (I still remember that I thought Wilhelm Backhaus's Pathetique slow movement was far too fast and perfunctory wink ).

In effect, when I was learning by myself (partly with the help of recordings), I was playing with much more individuality than anything I was learning with my teachers, who would simply ask me to change anything they didn't agree with in my playing. In effect, I'd end up playing the music the way they'd play it themselves. But when I watch masterclasses with established pianists teaching aspiring concert pianists, there usually isn't anything much different there either - the students are still expected to do what they're told. Probably even more so than I remember from my lessons. And many of those 'established pianists' brook no alternative viewpoint to their own.........

#2147161 - 09/09/13 07:33 PM Re: Youtube videos [Re: Dylan Tomlinson]
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Quote:
You all are too reserved in mentioning your youtube channels. Humbleness is important, but so is having a chance to visit these.

Some of us have plenty to be humble about …. grin

My channel was primarily for my two kids on their respective instruments (piano and flute).

My Page
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#2147204 - 09/09/13 09:06 PM Re: Youtube videos [Re: Dylan Tomlinson]
Beth_Frances Offline

I don't want my students to play exactly like me. I *do* want them to observe all the dynamic, articulation and tempo markings however. But if they can do that and show me a completely different interpretation I am thrilled. I do think listening is a very important part of learning music though - to me, to their friends, to the music in movies etc. You can't learn to speak a language well without being immersed in it.

#2147599 - 09/10/13 01:51 PM Re: Youtube videos [Re: bennevis]
Michael Sayers Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bennevis

In effect, when I was learning by myself (partly with the help of recordings), I was playing with much more individuality than anything I was learning with my teachers, who would simply ask me to change anything they didn't agree with in my playing. In effect, I'd end up playing the music the way they'd play it themselves. But when I watch masterclasses with established pianists teaching aspiring concert pianists, there usually isn't anything much different there either - the students are still expected to do what they're told. Probably even more so than I remember from my lessons. And many of those 'established pianists' brook no alternative viewpoint to their own.........

Heinrich Neuhaus and Franz Liszt deserve admiration as piano teachers for setting themselves up as sterling examples of the opposite. Heinrich Neuhaus, as in this linked recording, sounded nothing like his student Sviatoslav Richter:

Chopin Polonaise-Fantaisie op. 61 - Heinrich Neuhaus, 1958
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Y8GDwa4qU

With my personal experience of piano teaching I eventually found a place where the head of piano taught open-mindedly and it was okay for me to trust my musical instincts.

I only wanted to practice, I was tremendously ambitious at the time and could see no way to accomplish what I wanted except with relentless effort, and the only way I could calculate to assuredly do this for even a small number of years was to keep re-enrolling every semester and drop all courses except for the one with the piano performance grade. I eventually obtained 24hr access to the building and also the Imperial Bösendorfer in the main hall.

Unfortunately this is not the way one graduates!

M.

#2147620 - 09/10/13 02:21 PM Re: Youtube videos [Re: Michael Sayers]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Michael Sayers

Heinrich Neuhaus and Franz Liszt deserve admiration as piano teachers for setting themselves up as sterling examples of the opposite. Heinrich Neuhaus, as in this linked recording, sounded nothing like his student Sviatoslav Richter:

As you say, Neuhaus was a shining example of a pedagogue who helped and encouraged his pupils to find their own voices - Gilels, Richter, Lupu and Lubimov are four very different pianists who prospered under his tutelage.

One of the most ghastly examples I ever saw of a masterclass was when a certain pianist (who had better remain unnamed) spent almost the whole class on the opening chord of Beethoven's Piano Concerto No.4 - he wouldn't let go until the student had voiced it exactly the way he wanted it. As far as he was concerned, it was the only way to play that chord - because he said so.

#2147724 - 09/10/13 04:20 PM Re: Youtube videos [Re: Dylan Tomlinson]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Wouldn't playing a few bars of a piece for a student be more interesting to them rather than sitting in front of a screen? It takes no more than 10-15 minutes, and you only do it about once a semester. I don't see it being a huge problem..

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Seiler 186 Maestro Grand
by Sam4
5 minutes 35 seconds ago
Pain in hands while playing piano - looking for advice!
by Justin_B
Today at 10:15 AM
Buying a piano
by tim1889
Today at 09:45 AM
Unison detuning?
by Beemer
Today at 06:54 AM
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
Today at 03:59 AM
Who's Online
127 registered (Adypiano, Augustina, 36251, accordeur, 42 invisible), 1422 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157641 Topics
2315509 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission