Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2146434 - 09/08/13 03:13 PM Teaching to young kids
Bourniplus Offline

Loc: Québec
Hello everyone,
after not giving private lessons for many years, I just started teaching again, for a few students in a private school. I am confident I am doing good with my adult students, however my biggest challenge is with a 6 year-old girl.
After talking with my friends who have more experience than I do at teaching to young kids, I have gotten some interesting ideas and tips. Basically, I'm looking for more advice, general or specific, on how to approach things, such as finding the right balance between educational and fun.
For the first lesson I noticed she was a bit tense and nervous, which is very normal. Would breathing exercises before beginning the lesson make sense? On the practical side, since we don't have an adjustable bench, would you add something so that she's sitting at the correct height?
By the way, so far I am using the "A dozen a day" book (pink one in this case) as I am familiar with these from my childhood.
every advice will be greatly appreciated,
Martin

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2146442 - 09/08/13 03:23 PM Re: Teaching to young kids [Re: Bourniplus]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Bourniplus
Hello everyone,
after not giving private lessons for many years, I just started teaching again, for a few students in a private school. I am confident I am doing good with my adult students, however my biggest challenge is with a 6 year-old girl.
After talking with my friends who have more experience than I do at teaching to young kids, I have gotten some interesting ideas and tips. Basically, I'm looking for more advice, general or specific, on how to approach things, such as finding the right balance between educational and fun.
For the first lesson I noticed she was a bit tense and nervous, which is very normal. Would breathing exercises before beginning the lesson make sense?
I would do music games to help her get comfortable with being with you
Quote:
On the practical side, since we don't have an adjustable bench, would you add something so that she's sitting at the correct height?
Definitely. Also, a stool to rest her feet upon until she's ready to start using the pedal is a good idea.
Quote:
By the way, so far I am using the "A dozen a day" book (pink one in this case) as I am familiar with these from my childhood.
These are fine if she seems to like them, not all children do (I couldn't stand them as a child), but be sure to work on actual pieces, too. I do like working with method books, as many of them usually have games and ideas to help you present new material. Are you using any methods?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2146560 - 09/08/13 06:44 PM Re: Teaching to young kids [Re: Bourniplus]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: Bourniplus
On the practical side, since we don't have an adjustable bench, would you add something so that she's sitting at the correct height?

Absolutely! Put a phone book or a large cushion on top of the bench until her elbow is at least level with the keys. And then give her a box or a stool to put her feet so that she's not dangling her feet in midair.

Young kids are tricky to teach because their level of maturity is literally all over the place. Determine a good entry point for each particular student and introduce just enough activities to prevent them from getting bored. Change activities every 1-4 minutes. Have enough different activities to keep the kids occupied for the entire lesson.

For one of my students, when he gets bored, I just go to a different activity and come back to do the same activity 10 minutes later. He doesn't even remember what he did 10 minutes ago.

#2146564 - 09/08/13 06:51 PM Re: Teaching to young kids [Re: Bourniplus]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
That's exciting. It's important to get to know each other, so she feels comfortable coming and playing.

Ask about her school, make little comments, tell a story. Make it fun.

This is an article series on teaching successfully.

For the bench, you can put something under her feet so they're not dangling.

And play games! Kids love games. You might find these helpful:
Piano games, teaching younger students
- Color in my piano
- Susan Paradis
- Teach Piano Today

#2146572 - 09/08/13 06:59 PM Re: Teaching to young kids [Re: Bourniplus]
Morodiene Offline

Even having a box of crayons with which we can do our theory makes it fun!

I also made some flash cards that have a "code" on them and kids love to do this once they are told the secret code. I put "L" or "R" and then a finger number, and then a letter (A-G). For example, a card might read "L1C". The child has to then find any C on the piano and play it with their LH finger 1.

Having things like this you can pull out when you feel their attention is waning is helpful. Also, have some egg shakers or drums where you can play to the beat of a song played by you or on a CD. Another fun thing is if you can't spend money on purchasing such instruments, you can make your own shaker with an empty water bottle and unpopped popcorn, bells, rice, and some colorful things in there, then glue the top on. When kids see the homemade shaker they want to make one of their own at home. These are great for doing rhythm flash cards too, when they have to hold a half note or whole note, they have to shake it for the full number of beats.

Also, if you have a scarf, using that to dance around to the beat of different pieces of music (slow and fast, duple and triple meters) can be good off-the-bench activities.

Some kids enjoy singing the words to the songs they are playing (most method books add lyrics to the pieces they play for this purpose), which is a great skill to develop early.

#2146575 - 09/08/13 07:04 PM Re: Teaching to young kids [Re: Morodiene]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Some kids enjoy singing the words to the songs they are playing (most method books add lyrics to the pieces they play for this purpose), which is a great skill to develop early.

And for kids who are in book 2B and beyond (when lyrics suddenly disappear), we just make up our own crazy lyrics.

Get boys to sing before they become self-conscious about singing, and then they'll never sing for you.

#2146577 - 09/08/13 07:05 PM Re: Teaching to young kids [Re: Morodiene]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada

Accompaniment is also fun.

Another good starter is to teach songs they know, like Happy Birthday or Mary had a Little Lamb. That way, they get excited. And everyone likes familiar things, especially if they're nervous.

#2146583 - 09/08/13 07:14 PM Re: Teaching to young kids [Re: Bluoh]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: Bluoh

Accompaniment is also fun.

Another good starter is to teach songs they know, like Happy Birthday or Mary had a Little Lamb. That way, they get excited. And everyone likes familiar things, especially if they're nervous.
This is true. Old of my student's favorite songs is Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, the first song she learned. smile

#2146840 - 09/09/13 09:48 AM Re: Teaching to young kids [Re: Bourniplus]
Bourniplus Offline

Loc: Québec
Thanks to all for the suggestions! I'm definitely going to include games and rhythm flash cards.

#2149924 - 09/14/13 08:43 AM Re: Teaching to young kids [Re: Bourniplus]
PApianoteacher Offline

The Music Tree has an activity book at their "A Time to Begin" level that has lots of activities that involve coloring, matching, etc. With my younger kids I alternate between learning new songs and workbook pages. I actually lay the workbook out on the bench and we get down on our knees to do the coloring. Remember that for an attention span, you get a minute for every year, so you should be changing activities at least every 6 minutes if possible!

#2150247 - 09/14/13 08:14 PM Re: Teaching to young kids [Re: PApianoteacher]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Check out www.susanparadis.com Many wonderful games on her site that she generously allows us to download and print for free. I love these games for my young students.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
10/20/14 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
10/20/14 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
10/20/14 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
10/20/14 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
10/20/14 06:56 PM
Who's Online
86 registered (Adypiano, anotherscott, angga888, Anticlock, 23 invisible), 1134 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158393 Topics
2325918 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission