2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 1,819 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 276 of 452 1 2 274 275 276 277 278 451 452
A
A
I've been 'lurking' here for a couple of months and feel it is now time to introduce myself.For my 64th birthday in March I got a piano and have been working through Alfred All-in-One Course, Book 1. I don't know why I waited till now - always wanted to learn as a child, but didn't get the opportunity and then somehow other things take over and we just bury that dream. However, I'm truly loving this - have reached Lesson 70: Good People and am finding this a bit difficult - have found other pieces difficult, some extremely difficult, but they seemed to slowly come together. With this, even though I'm 'hitting' the right keys, it's not sounding right - think I may just live with that and return at a later stage. So, just wanted to say 'Hi'.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Hi angelsong and welcome to the forum and specifically to the book 1 thread. With all the new concepts and technical issues the first year can seem daunting but I think your right to leave something to return later. Good chance other improvements will make what seemed difficult easier.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
A
Thanks earlofmar for yr helpful comments - really encouraging.

A

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015
A
Welcome nvyguy and angelsong,

I made a mini-breakthrough a week or so ago, when I figured out that I really had to slow down until I could get all the notes (and rhythm) correct. I was sorta stuck on Brahms Lullaby for a week, just couldn't play it through mistake-free. Part of the problem was it's such a familiar tune, you know what the tempo should be. The other part, for me, was a little voice in my head saying;"C'mon, you've been playing for a while now, you don't have to slow down anymore". Well the voice of impatience was wrong because I do have to slow down.

Has anybody else noticed that if you make the same mistake say, two times in a row, it seems to "lock in" your fingers and you have to slow down and play it correctly like 10 or more times to get it to where you don't just automatically make that mistake?

[Linked Image]
Thanks for all the welcomes !! My book is finally due to arrive today, looking forward to getting started. Just have a 61 key keyboard for now but considering it allows me to use headphones, that may be a blessing to others for a while
grin

S
S
earlofmar & scorpio: Thanks for your comments.

angelsong: Welcome! I think you are not the only person having problems with "Good People", I know I did. Imho it's one of the sudden jumps in difficulty in the book. (Others I can remember are "Blow the Man Down", last 2 pieces (Entertainer & Amazing Grace) and the final popular pieces). Moreover, I find that the stronger the melody of a piece is, the easier it is to learn so this makes the bluesy and strange pieces harder to play smoothly. (Good People, Laura at the end of the book which has too weird harmonies for my taste). Anyway, these are my 2 cents, good luck!

Casio Privia PX-350
Alfred's Adult All-in-One Book 1 Graduate
M
MJP Offline
M
Hi all, I just started out back in July and for someone who's tried guitar twice and clarinet once, I'm shocked by how much I enjoy learning the piano. I started on a $40 keyboard on Craigslist and just acquired a PX-130 over the weekend after enjoying the heck out of practicing on my in-laws' slightly out-of-tune upright. The weighting and action makes all the difference in the world.

I'm still in book 1 and up to Alpine Melody and taking every opportunity I can to force myself to keep things slow and steady. That and forcing myself to move up on the keyboard when switching from right hand G major to right hand D7 in G position. Love Me Tender in the Greatest Hits book is also my current challenge, along with Hava Nagila that I found on a site with easy-ified sheet music (I gotta balance out all that Jingle Bells! laugh )

I'm glad that a thread like this exists - good to know I'm not alone.

M
M
Hello angelsong & all on Piano World!

I've been lurking long enough & it's time to introduce myself.
I started piano 2yrs and a bit ago at age 63 without much knowledge of music. I played the recorder at school and studied the viola for a term or so without making any noticeable progress. (Before you ask, there weren't any violins in the cupboard). I did, however, learn a little about the treble clef & that was useful when I started on Alfred 1. Well, I'm proud to say that I worked my way to the end of Alfred 3 in July. Yeeees!! I'm self-taught and haven't recorded anything for anybody yet. In fact (whisper), nobody has even heard me. I'd like to get a teacher eventually but have to be sure I'll find enough time to get through the homework every week.

Anyway, I do feel able to make some comments about Alfred which I hope will help.

Good People: angelsong, it's probably the blues rhythm that you can't get with this one. Have you listened to the versions on Youtube? They're not all top-notch but sydnal, for example, plays it well. It's a really nice piece when you eventually get to play it tolerably. I always tried to get the notes & rhythm right before I listened to a piece. Often, though, the notes were correct but the rhythm was way out when I heard it played properly. I think this is a common problem. It still is with me though I think I'm doing better. You have done well to get to Good People and there are lots of good pieces ahead in the second half of Book 1. Also, the first pieces in Book 2 tend to be easier than those at the end of Book 1. There are some lemons (Just A Little ...., Just A Sorta.... Any of those set my teeth on edge) and you'll need to eat your Weetabix before you tackle La Bamba.

Overall, Alfred's is a very good series, and I hope you enjoy it. I'm now working on Masterworks Classics Level 3 which, as others have said, reaches parts that Alfred did not. The skill level is below Alfred 3 but it's certainly giving my arthritic left hand a thorough workout. There are 10 levels so I'm not going to finish any time soon...but I'm enjoying the journey.

A
A
Thank you Moonraker, Sydnal, A James and anyone else I may have missed, for all the welcomes and particularly for the encouragement and advice on Good People. Really helpful - so glad I found this forum.

A
A
Very interesting and encouraging to hear from someone of a similar age who's recently started and thanks for your helpful comments on Good People. I'm also really enjoying the journey!

A
A
Thanks for yr comments on 'Good People'. I also found 'Blow the Man Down' very challenging, but was able to 'hear' the melody, even when I knew my timing wasn't quite right. However, with 'Good People', I just can't 'hear' the melody - yet!! It's so helpful to be able to share these 'problems' on a forum like this. Thanks agan.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome! angelsong, MJP, Moonraker

Moonraker, I look forward to your comments and helpful hints to get me through the Alfred series.

Ironically, "Good People" is one of my favorite pieces in Book 1. It did take a little time to get it, but once I did I really enjoyed playing it. I think the big thing for anyone in Book 1, is to be patient. If you practice each day, progress is made. I am often amazed at how much improvement is made with a good night's rest.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
Nice to have a group of beginners to hang with. Got as far as Aunt Rhodey tonight....lots of fun...my old hands are a bit stiff. Ive played guitar for over 40 years, Violin & Viola the last 6 years. Piano has been my dream for years, started learning a long time ago but had to give it up, not as easy to tote as a fiddle or guitar...I even own a console piano 600 miles away in my mothers living room, though I'm sure its seen its share of abuse and hasnt been tuned in at least 20 years

Last edited by Barry1963; 09/10/13 10:50 PM.
V
V
Today I started Adult All in One #1 thanks to the recomendation of Barry1963 and I have to say that the books explains things so easily and I reached so far the Jingle Bells but I find really hard to play quarter notes, half notes.. with the right length. Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.

Alfred's Adult All-in-One Level 1
A
A
Thanks for the welcome and encouragement - and welcome to the new baby!

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Good choice to start the Alfred course vandier, but no matter what course you choose you will hit walls every now and again. Learning piano is an onslaught of new knowledge that can be easily read but takes the brain and fingers much longer to digest and implement. Take your time, don't expect too much and be grateful for any progress is the key. All the best

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
V
V
I hit this giant wall of Jingle Bell xd I repeated it over 40 times and finally I succeded

Alfred's Adult All-in-One Level 1
A
A
Well done Vandier - it's such a good feeling when we finally succeed.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
The Alfred's course will help you build a foundation, vandier. I stopped halfway through book 3 because I wanted to play more classical music, but I will go back to it sooner or later. Watch many videos on YouTube so you can hear the different ways these songs can sound and the right movements you need to do.

Originally Posted by vandier
Today I started Adult All in One #1 thanks to the recomendation of Barry1963 and I have to say that the books explains things so easily and I reached so far the Jingle Bells but I find really hard to play quarter notes, half notes.. with the right length. Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.

Glad you like it Vandier !! It really does explain things well

Page 276 of 452 1 2 274 275 276 277 278 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission