2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (APianistHasNoName, crab89, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, 9 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2146409 09/08/13 02:46 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Does anyone have any videos on youtube of them playing piano? I would love to see the variety of styles and songs!

Tickle those ivories!
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Look for OrangeSodaKing smile

I have some performances of me, but many other things, too. (Also, check for another recent channel of mine, Horszowski Piano, for some uploads of another pianist who has asked me to share some of his recordings.)

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Look for OrangeSodaKing smile

I have some performances of me, but many other things, too. (Also, check for another recent channel of mine, Horszowski Piano, for some uploads of another pianist who has asked me to share some of his recordings.)

I enjoyed hearing your recordings as well as the Gershiwn plays Gershwin (four songs) and the Firkusny who seems to be a pianist discussed less and less going forward.

p.s. - One of the schools I went to had an Imperial Bösendorfer as well!

M.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Recital I played with a friend last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0pDfcILpA

A video I made of a piece I wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQEvJ_qRpBM

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A man, Jason, I had forgotten this amazing piece and video...

Is there a place in Europe I can get that, or I have to rely in SMP, amazon, etc?

Probably have to rely on SMP or Amazon. frown

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ordered, but it's a pity that it's not available in Europe. I mean it's a considerable market I'd like to think.

B
B
I've just started putting up vids on YouTube for my students reference (see sig). I only started this weekend so at the moment there are 51 clips ranging from preliminary to grade 5.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Beth_Frances
I've just started putting up vids on YouTube for my students reference (see sig). I only started this weekend so at the moment there are 51 clips ranging from preliminary to grade 5.

I am curious to hear the pedagogical purpose(s) of posting videos of this type of material "for [your] students' reference."

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Nikolas #2146692 09/09/13 12:06 AM
D
D
Originally Posted by Nikolas

Oh wow, it looks like I have a lot to explore! My funny computer will play the sound but only displays the pictures on youtube videos sometimes (but oddly enough I can ebb it on another site and see it, ha), so I'm not getting the scores...but, man I'm loving "And... it's gone" right now. I love the writing and the performance sounds excellent.

Edit: I'm also now looking for things which correspond with your name such as Anger and Depression I (is that you?). I remember hearing a good definition of depression as "anger turned inward." I never thought of the compositional possibilities until now.

Oh and Yes! Piano Stories! I love discovering new things that are good.

Last edited by D. S. F.; 09/09/13 12:12 AM.

Music does not have to be understood;
It has to be listened to.
- Hermann Scherchen.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Oh thank you so much!

First of all about flash (youtube) I have a kinda similar problem: If I try to go full screen from youtube, I get nothing, but if I paste the link in a forum (here for example) and go full screen then it works fine...

"And... it's gone" was composed by Nikos Drelas, a Greek composer. The guitarist is a friend of mine, Antonis Hatzinikolaou, who came in my studio and did the recording... wink

And yes, "Anger and Depression" and of course "Piano Stories" are all mine! laugh

There are a lot of things to explore (not too many though). And I hope to create more in a little while (once I get some time in my hands)...

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Originally Posted by Dylan Tomlinson
Does anyone have any videos on youtube of them playing piano? I would love to see the variety of styles and songs!

You can follow the link below to my youtube channel.

And FYI, since I'm a pianist and not a vocalist, you won't find too many "songs" on my channel. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
B
B
Not really a pedagogical purpose - more a chance for students to look through all the pieces and see which ones they would be excited about learning without me having to waste lesson time playing through options. I've only just started doing it so I don't really know how it'll work. Maybe none of them will look at any of my videos!

Carey #2146768 09/09/13 06:38 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by carey

And FYI, since I'm a pianist and not a vocalist, you won't find too many "songs" on my channel. grin

I still remember your recording of Clair de Lune - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKmvKYqYahg - wonderful compared to the numerous perfunctory recordings out there, other than this one I've only found enjoyment in Cliburn's recording of it.

You all are too reserved in mentioning your youtube channels. Humbleness is important, but so is having a chance to visit these.

M.

N
N
Here's a couple of short pieces recorded recently that I uploaded http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT5Q6DT2Dfg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i8GqN-I60s I wrote them but I'm not a pianist, so it's not me playing.

Originally Posted by Michael Sayers
Originally Posted by carey

I still remember your recording of Clair de Lune - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKmvKYqYahg - wonderful compared to the numerous perfunctory recordings out there, other than this one I've only found enjoyment in Cliburn's recording of it.

Thanks Michael, you are very kind !!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Beth_Frances
Not really a pedagogical purpose - more a chance for students to look through all the pieces and see which ones they would be excited about learning without me having to waste lesson time playing through options. I've only just started doing it so I don't really know how it'll work. Maybe none of them will look at any of my videos!

I am not a piano teacher, so take my concern with a large grain of salt.

My thought is : Knowing that young piano students in particular can be great imitators, many may simply watch a video they like many times and try to copy what they see and hear without really learning the score from reading it. Or, even while knowing how to read the score, learning much of the piece by rote from watching a video.

In my experience, I never had a teacher who would spend lesson time "playing through options." My teachers chose what they thought would be best for me to learn at the time and, while they helped me with technical difficulties and even helped with developing some interpretive ideas, my responsibility was to learn the piece from the score on my own.

I think much facility in score reading and sight reading can be learned, even in the early stages of piano study (as so many of us had to do before Youtube), by working through pieces rather than just sitting back and watching and listening.

As I said, I am not a teacher, and each teacher presents materials in ways that s/he thinks is best for the student, but I would be concerned that providing all this material at the click of a mouse could possibly slow - if not hinder - some aspects of musical development in some students.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
http://youtu.be/6hgTC_Dd1q4 So many of us post videos!

Musica 71
BruceD #2146947 09/09/13 01:08 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by BruceD

I am not a piano teacher, so take my concern with a large grain of salt.

My thought is : Knowing that young piano students in particular can be great imitators, many may simply watch a video they like many times and try to copy what they see and hear without really learning the score from reading it. Or, even while knowing how to read the score, learning much of the piece by rote from watching a video.

As I said, I am not a teacher, and each teacher presents materials in ways that s/he thinks is best for the student, but I would be concerned that providing all this material at the click of a mouse could possibly slow - if not hinder - some aspects of musical development in some students.

Regards,

You may not be aware that the ABRSM has long published CDs to go with their volumes of set pieces for all the grades.

Presumably, candidates who play exactly like the pianist on the CDs will get maximum marks wink
But at least it would save examiners having to endure odd interpretative quirks that might be imposed by teachers on their young charges......

If music be the food of love, play on!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission