Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2147362 - 09/10/13 03:47 AM Just turned 30...newbie
disawell Offline

And my piano has been dropped...no outward damage - looks and sounds ok. Will it be ok with a tune? Or will it be damaged beyond repair?

I had lessons as a kid but never got to practice and i didn't enjoy it. I just want to be able to play for pleasure and reading music is less important to me. I can "read" the music, i know what the notes are etc (I got 1st grade theory) but I can't sight read and I have real difficulty getting my hands to work together.

Can i do this?

Thanks

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2147380 - 09/10/13 06:01 AM Re: Just turned 30...newbie [Re: disawell]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Welcome to the forum disawell, I hope your piano survives.

Can you do this? - course you can. Of course there are a few considerations eg can you afford a good teacher (can you afford not to), do you have the right drive, do you have time to practice regularly.

However you go about I wish you well on your journey and please keep us posted with your progress. Don't forget this is a great resource for answering questions and no question is ever silly. The forum is also fully searchable which makes research a breeze.

#2147455 - 09/10/13 09:44 AM Re: Just turned 30...newbie [Re: disawell]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Welcome disawell!
Start playing everyday and I'm sure you'll be surprise with your progress.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2147485 - 09/10/13 10:46 AM Re: Just turned 30...newbie [Re: disawell]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Lucky you! These wooden things are easily repairable. Couple o` splints and a bit o` string whilst the glue dries . . .

You`ll enjoy it here. There are guys just like you.

Just be thanful your piano isn`t plastic! Mine is. It, too, got dropped . . . .

Edited by peterws (09/11/13 11:45 AM)

""

#2147885 - 09/10/13 08:55 PM Re: Just turned 30...newbie [Re: disawell]
disawell Offline

Thanks everyone smile Anyone got any places to start? I can already play few songs with chords and stuff, I do have the music in my soul, but reading the music has always held me back. I want a "i just want to play the song" style....

#2148362 - 09/11/13 05:25 PM Re: Just turned 30...newbie [Re: disawell]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California

#2148492 - 09/11/13 10:26 PM Re: Just turned 30...newbie [Re: disawell]
Oasismfg Offline

Loc: So Cal
When I was little, everyone told me I had to learn to read. I hated the drudgery, and just wanted to play. I struggled through, and like you I can manage it when I absolutely need help with a phrase. Otherwise, I refuse to read. It took me many, many years to get past the "you should be reading" mindset, and I think it's partly the reason I laid off playing music from my mid 20's to early 40's. Now that I have given myself permission to set the books aside unless necessary, I'm having a blast, and I have learned far more, faster. Call it lazy if you want, but I guess it's just the way my brain works, so I may as well indulge it.

I used to think playing Elton John was hard. It's not. I just really didn't give it a fair effort when I was younger, because I thought the reading music part was too daunting. Now I'm making up for lost time.

Learn to play basic major scales, and major and minor chords in all three inversions. Practice them as a 10 minute warm up in the circle of fifths. Then add arpeggios and sevenths. Maybe throw in a few Hannon exercises. You get the idea. After warm up let the fun begin. Grab some lead sheets of simple songs you know and have a go at them. Just play bass octaves with your left hand for starters, the coordination will come. Work out the voicings of the chords with your right hand. This is where knowing your inversions pays off. This is where you get to use that knowledge to experiment. There is no right or wrong. Do it how you like, finding the way you like it is fun. As you get better, you can incorporate the melody line with your right hand voicings, and you can experiment with bass lines. When you get this down, you'll be able to look at a lead sheet and say, "I can do that!".

Have fun.

#2148500 - 09/11/13 11:08 PM Re: Just turned 30...newbie [Re: Oasismfg]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Welcome to the forum disawell. Of course you can do it.

As for reading, you probably read as well as I do now, and I made a considerable effort to get to that modest stage of being able to identify the notes. So you are not alone in the dislike and low aptitude for sight reading. If you work on reading, you will get better. If you don't want to, then there are other ways.

These might include learning by ear, watching videos. Do understand, that choosing to avoid sight reading, will make certain pieces, such as classical masterpieces, that much more difficult nearing impossible for some of them. However, tons of popular songs, folks songs, movie music will be accessible.

If you can identify the notes, you are half way to being able to use lead sheets (melody on top, chord letters instead of notes on the bottom). Many popular songs can be found in lead sheet format.

The vast majority of forum beginners use a method book (eg: Alfred's, or similar) and/or a teacher. Those that choose a different road have to find their own way, because the road less traveled has fewer markers.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
What is this piece?
by JoelW
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
Piano Rankings
by phantomFive
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
Yesterday at 03:43 PM
Who's Online
86 registered (AnimistFvR, accordeur, Almaviva, anamnesis, 22 invisible), 1103 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158483 Topics
2327413 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission